PDA

View Full Version : MERGED-Saban offered coaching job at Alabama.

Prjman
11-27-2006, 01:26 PM
790 AM is reporting that Nick Saban has been offered the head coaching job in Alabama.

Any thoughts?

outtawack311
11-27-2006, 01:27 PM
People can offer him all the jobs in the world, he's still not taking them.

rdhstlr23
11-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Take it...Just kidding, I love you Nick.

elite14eva
11-27-2006, 01:30 PM
hmmm interesting let's see how it plays out.

dominizzo
Funny I had a dream las nite that Saban would take his job back at LSU

Dolphins561
790 reported that he was offered the job, yet Saban's agent said there was no communication...

ESPN reported Spurrier on his way to the U, and he shot that down. The media is a mess...

Roman529
11-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Interesting...I know Saban has a place in Georgia on a lake, so maybe he will be tempted....but the Crimson Tide are going to have to pony up $5 million per to get him to go.....not happening.

Gardenhead
11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
790 reported that he was offered the job, yet Saban's agent said there was no communication...

ESPN reported Spurrier on his way to the U, and he shot that down. The media is a mess...

ESPN reported Spurrier was merely a candidate. They never said he was headed to the U. "The media is a mess"...surely you have better things to complain about.

So Saban's been offered the Bama gig. I will be shocked if he takes it. However, if I was the AD at Bama, I too would offer him the job.

MikeO
If they offer more than $5 mill a year then Saban would be crazy not to take it.

It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Less stress, more money......gotta make the jump if they pay more than the Fins

johngarry

bruhman it's called "splatter-press"...throw whatever against the wall (that being j.q. public) and see what if anything sticks...frakkin absurd.

Predaphin
Crap! :tantrum: this is not what we need right now!! :tantrum: :fire:

Another frickin distraction!!!!:tantrum:

Now what are some of the players going to think????

I seriously hope Saban comes out and shoots this rumor down quickly....Let the press know he has no intentions of leaving th Phins, unless of course he wants to leave. But please, Saban, please set the record straight.

The last thing we want is this rumor or decision lingering while we are trying to make a strong push at the end.

Dolphins561
11-27-2006, 01:37 PM
ESPN reported Spurrier was merely a candidate. They never said he was headed to the U. "The media is a mess"...surely you have better things to complain about.

So Saban's been offered the Bama gig. I will be shocked if he takes it. However, if I was the AD at Bama, I too would offer him the job.

When we were listening to the radio, they didn't say candidate... And I'm not complaining about anything, I'm just making a comment about the state of media today. Please do not insinuate that I am complaining about anything, just making a statement. Stick to the topic.

GORILLA BALL
11-27-2006, 01:38 PM
i can't see saban leaving the dolphins to go to bama, he usually stays about 4-5 years and moves on. his job isn't finished. as an lsu fans it would hurt to see him at bama.

Gardenhead
11-27-2006, 01:38 PM
If they offer more than $5 mill a year then Saban would be crazy not to take it.

Not necessarily. In the pros, you don't have to deal with crazy boosters and you don't have to travel to some 17 year old's house in the middle of nowhere to kiss his arse.

There are pros and cons with both college and the pros.

GORILLA BALL
11-27-2006, 01:39 PM
what is saban's current salary?

Gardenhead
11-27-2006, 01:40 PM
When we were listening to the radio, they didn't say candidate... And I'm not complaining about anything, I'm just making a comment about the state of media today. Please do not insinuate that I am complaining about anything, just making a statement. Stick to the topic.

Don't tell me what topic to stick to. You brought up "the media".

utahphinsfan
11-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Watching the Auburn/Bama, a week and a half ago, The announcers mentioned that the powers that be were less than happy w/ Shula.

I had not heard of Shula getting axed like Koetter @ Arizona St & Amato @ NC St.

MarinoEqualsGod
11-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Word is that Spurrier is taking the Bama job.

Dolphins561
11-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Don't tell me what topic to stick to. You brought up "the media".

So, me making a statement about the media being a mess is complaining? Right. Wasn't the first post about this talking about 790 the ticket? A SPORTS-TALK STATION?!

I should know better then to leave the VIP area.

ckparrothead
11-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Saban's not even close to accepting that job until there is some kind of closure with the Dolphins job.

He's just not the kind of person to make a long term committment, and then just cut and run before it is obviously time to do so. That is just not his way. Money is not an issue here. The issue is that his entire career he has known that he eventually wanted to conquer the NFL. He picked and chose his spots until he got the right offer from the right franchise, he took a garbage dump of a roster, overhauled it completely, and turned it 9-7, and now has us looking at possibly 8-8 or 9-7 again...maybe even 10-6.

This is going to turn out to be similar to what Michigan State did. They reportedly called Saban up and asked him to take the job, but in reality all they did was call up and ask if he had any recommendations. Is it any coincidence that a long-time assistant under Saban, Charlie Baggett, is now a finalist for that job? Any coincidence that another guy with longstanding connections to Saban, a guy that Saban tried to get to be his defensive coordinator here in Miami, Todd Grantham, is the LEADING candidate for the job?

Tommy Tuberville raided Saban's staff to get his new D-Coord, Will Muschamp.

In the end, I wonder if Alabama isn't doing the same thing and calling up Saban not to offer him the job but to get his thoughts on who should take the job.

For years after Jimmy Johnson stopped coaching, teams called him asking for advice on certain issues. At the college level, Saban has that kind of standing and reputation that we should expect similar behavior.

dominizzo
11-27-2006, 01:46 PM
If Saban does Shock Miami Organization And leave I wonder who will be the Successor!!

I say Mike martz

ckparrothead
11-27-2006, 01:49 PM
If Saban does Shock Miami Organization And leave I wonder who will be the Successor!!

I say Mike martz

Boy if that's the case we'd better upgrade that offensive line in a HURRY.

Then again if we did manage to do that, he's got the right QB for that offense in Daunte Culpepper.

FanMarino
11-27-2006, 01:50 PM
hmmm interesting let's see how it plays out.

I agree but why would he want out now when hes got this team turned around? Hopefully he will carry on and make this team his own. Im sure he will.
Love the Sig elite14eva. Bell is the major plus point this season so far for me with Welker. Guy got his chance and grabbed it by the horns.

Redneck Friend
11-27-2006, 01:51 PM
the U gig would be ideal for him.

but, the bama job is no slouch job and he
should DEFINATELY take it as long as the
money is competative.

no playoffs and no good draft pick. BUMMER!!

Roman529
11-27-2006, 01:54 PM
If Saban was in the 4th year of a five year deal I could see him bolting for Bama, but not a litte more than halfway through his 2nd year. If the money offer is similar, I don't see Saban moving, and I doubt Bama could pony up $5 mill a year. :rolleyes:

ckparrothead
11-27-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm surprised at the number of people that think that as long as the money is equal, Saban would rather coach college than pro.

He absolutely could have gotten as much money as we gave him out of LSU if he told them that matching the Dolphins' offer would keep him there a long time. He already had a contract, or so it was rumored, stipulating he make like one dollar more than the highest paid coach in college football.

MarinoEqualsGod

I say Mike martz

Oh, GOD NO! I'd almost rather bring back Wanny...ALMOST

SirDrums

Less stress? You obviously do not live in Bama....

trate121hb
11-27-2006, 01:57 PM
he wont take it......bama is a mess too and he's worked to hard here to quit after 2 years

Gardenhead
11-27-2006, 01:59 PM
So, me making a statement about the media being a mess is complaining? Right. Wasn't the first post about this talking about 790 the ticket? A SPORTS-TALK STATION?!

I should know better then to leave the VIP area.

Wow. Your condescension is amazing. First you tell me what subjects I should stick to and then the comment about leaving the VIP area. You got a lot of nerve, buddy.

Stay in your VIP cage for all I care.

Dolphins561
11-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Wow. Your condescension is amazing. First you tell me what subjects I should stick to and then the comment about leaving the VIP area. You got a lot of nerve, buddy.

Stay in your VIP cage for all I care.

Really? So being told to not complain when I was merely making a statement is cool with you? I was asking you to stick to the subject of Saban going to Alabama, not making comments about me "complaining"...

Good luck to you...

dolphan98
11-27-2006, 02:02 PM

At some point in a man's life, money no longer becomes the number one priority. I think Saban has more money then he'll ever need and he has reached that point. Saban has already won at the college level; he has nothing else to prove. I think he will stay in the NFL as long as there is work for him until he wins a super bowl. For Saban it's more about the legacy then the money. Not to mention he wouldn't want to move his family again.

tyson22
11-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Stay in your VIP cage for
all I care.

your hypocrisy is even more amazing.

The media is a mess"...surely you have better things to complain about.

you can tell him whats Ok to complain about but he cant tell you to stick to the topic:confused:

emocomputerjock
11-27-2006, 02:14 PM
the U gig would be ideal for him.

but, the bama job is no slouch job and he
should DEFINATELY take it as long as the
money is competative.

no playoffs and no good draft pick. BUMMER!!

You wouldn't be saying that because you're completely against Saban being the coach here are you? Not that your post history reflects that.

We hired Saban to come in and rebuild the team. He doesn't even have two years on the job yet, and he's turned over a large portion of the roster. Saban has a system, a well thought out coordinated plan to win football games, and eventually championships. He has to bring in his kind of players, his kind of coaches, and do things his way. As I stated a month ago, I can put up with a couple of years while everything gets sorted out, because in the long run it'll be worth it. Losing Saban now would do nothing but guarantee more medocrity over the next couple of years as the next coach in line tries to get his people in the program. Stop being so willing to settle for year after year of medocrity! Stop pining for the days of Fiedler and Wanny!

BigScuingili
11-27-2006, 02:14 PM

I say Mike martz
I'd like a young gunner like Brain Schottenheimer.

elite14eva
11-27-2006, 02:16 PM
I agree but why would he want out now when hes got this team turned around? Hopefully he will carry on and make this team his own. Im sure he will.
Love the Sig elite14eva. Bell is the major plus point this season so far for me with Welker. Guy got his chance and grabbed it by the horns.thanx.

Gardenhead
11-27-2006, 02:17 PM
your hypocrisy is even more amazing.

you can tell him whats Ok to complain about but he cant tell you to stick to the topic:confused:

I think his condesention is more amazing than my hypocracy.

The "I should never have left the VIP area" line was delicious! But that's just one man's opinion.

Dolphins561
11-27-2006, 02:20 PM

The "I should never have left the VIP area" line was delicious! But that's just one man's opinion.

And the reason that I stated that, is because you don't get slapped for making a comment. Off topic, ridiculous or otherwise. It's often times VERY hard to discuss anything on this board because of making statements like that. I have to admit I was really ticked when I read that, because I'm not complaining about anything. Just sharing my thoughts here like any other member.

This part of the topic is finished. Let's please let this rest, and also respect one another. I apologize for biting back, but...

CrunchTime
11-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Please stick to the topic guys.Comment on the post not the poster.:wink:

ZOD
11-27-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm surprised at the number of people that think that as long as the money is equal, Saban would rather coach college than pro.

He absolutely could have gotten as much money as we gave him out of LSU if he told them that matching the Dolphins' offer would keep him there a long time. He already had a contract, or so it was rumored, stipulating he make like one dollar more than the highest paid coach in college football.

Give it up. They will not listen even though you are the only one making sense.

ONE MORE TIME PEOPLE - SABAN IS GOING NOWHERE!

Am I the only person that remembers his wife's quote when referencing Huyzienga and Jones after they left the bayou meeting?

"If you mess this up, you will not be able to blame them."

The man was waiting on this situation. He got what he was looking for in coming to the NFL. Cleveland gave a bad presentation. Jacksonville gave a bad presentation. Chicago gave a bad presentation. All of them had meddling ownership or management that Saban would not go near.

Miami gave him the reigns. He took them. He will not let the reigns go until he has conquered the NFL or is run out of town (whichever comes first). This is why I love Huyzienga as an owner. He keeps his mouth shut until the fans tug at the purse strings. Only then does he makes a move just as it should be.

Dolphins561
11-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Give it up. They will not listen even though you are the only one making sense.

ONE MORE TIME PEOPLE - SABAN IS GOING NOWHERE!

Am I the only person that remembers his wife's quote when referencing Huyzienga and Jones after they left the bayou meeting?

"If you mess this up, you will not be able to blame them."

The man was waiting on this situation. He got what he was looking for in coming to the NFL. Cleveland gave a bad presentation. Jacksonville gave a bad presentation. Chicago gave a bad presentation. All of them had meddling ownership or management that Saban would not go near.

Miami gave him the reigns. He took them. He will not let the reigns go until he has conquered the NFL or is run out of town (whichever comes first). This is why I love Huyzienga as an owner. He keeps his mouth shut until the fans tug at the purse strings. Only then does he makes a move just as it should be.

Very well said, and don't forget the meeting on the private jet... :wink:

MarinoEqualsGod
11-27-2006, 02:35 PM

:eat:

Rick 1966
11-27-2006, 02:38 PM
If he goes, he goes. It wouldn't be the end of the world. It's not as if we were guaranteed a Superbowl if he stays.

ZOD
11-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Very well said, and don't forget the meeting on the private jet... :wink:

One thing I forgot to mention that essentially destroys the idea of returning to the college ranks. He didn't want to be there. He wanted to be in the NFL. Take a look at what he left at LSU.

2005 - http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&csid=127339&yr=2005

2006 - http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&csid=127339&yr=2006

Now combine that with the fact that LSU has 15 NFL prospects coming out in 2007.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/searchcollege.php?draftyear=2007&colabbr=L

Do you honestly think he left LSU to rebuild Alabama?

SCall13
11-27-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm not saying Saban will accept the offer. But I wouldn't be totally surprised considering the history of Alabama and the HUGE drop off in stress.

Crypt Keeper
11-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Wow, this rumor doesn't die. It must mean that Saban really is considering bolting.

Namor
11-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey guys i'm a Bama alum.Shula was fired this morning and its not Saban,but Spurrier will probaly take the Bama
job.

Gardenhead
11-27-2006, 03:01 PM
If he goes, he goes. It wouldn't be the end of the world. It's not as if we were guaranteed a Superbowl if he stays.

I agree with the above comment 100%. Very well-put. And I'm a huge Saban homer.

ZOD
11-27-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm not saying Saban will accept the offer. But I wouldn't be totally surprised considering the history of Alabama and the HUGE drop off in stress.

Alabama is dead. The game changed. It killed Nebraska and Alabama. It's not that their old style of football would not have won. It's the fact that you cannot get top recruits to come to a school that is predominantly run oriented. What I am saying is that they are forever marked by their history. Someone has to come in there and throw the ball around like it was a hot potatoe. Of course that coach will lose but it will change the impression kids have of the Bama game.

Bama screwed up hiring Shula. They linked the name to history. Kids don't know the Shula name. Most of these kids wouldn't know the name Lombardi if you hit them with it. What they know is that they have skills. What will you do to showcase my skills?

This is how a Coach like Tommy Bowden gets a Florida stud (CJ Spiller) and an Atlanta QB (Charlie Whitehurst) to come to a hick town called Clemson. Did anyone notice that Clemson spends all of their time in a spread formation? Did you also notice that their 2006 Quarterback cannot pass? That is why they lost this year. Teams forced them to pass after watching WVU stack the box. Teams run the Rich Rodriguez spread for many reasons. The first and foremost reason is to run the ball. Kids don't know this fact though. They see two receivers split wide. They see a one back formation.

"Hit me, I'm open!"

Someone must change Bama football. It's not about the game neither. It's about the recruiting........

Did anyone notice Tim Tebow? Alabama was on his list. LSU, Michigan, and USC were on the list too. I wonder why he is at Flordia?

Spread - It may not be the best philosophy but the kids love it. The kids play the game.

SCall13
11-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Alabama is dead. The game changed. It killed Nebraska and Alabama. It's not that their old style of football would not have won. It's the fact that you cannot get top recruits to come to a school that is predominantly run oriented. What I am saying is that they are forever marked by their history. Someone has to come in there and throw the ball around like it was a hot potatoe. Of course that coach will lose but it will change the impression kids have of the Bama game.

Bama screwed up hiring Shula. They linked the name to history. Kids don't know the Shula name. Most of these kids wouldn't know the name Lombardi if you hit them with it. What they know is that they have skills. What will you do to showcase my skills?

This is how a Coach like Tommy Bowden gets a Florida stud (CJ Spiller) to come to a hick town called Clemson. Did anyone notice that Clemson spends all of their time in a spread formation? Did you also notice that their Quarterback cannot pass? Teams run the Rich Rodriguez spread for many reasons. The first and foremost reason they run it is to run the ball. Kids don't know this fact though. They see two receivers split wide. They see a one back formation.

"Hit me, I'm open!"

Someone must change Bama football. It's not about the game neither. It's about the recruiting........

I hear what you're saying. But the school can change and no better way to start than to get a coach in there with a reputation for winning like Nick has.

UABfan
11-27-2006, 03:12 PM
I live in Alabama. The rumor I heard from some alumni is that Sylvester Croom would have gotten the job instead of Shula-- if Jessie Jackson had not been so outspoke at the time about Alabama & the SEC having never hired a black coach. Then supposedly the "higher ups" at Alabama were not going to look like they listened to Jessie Jackson.

Of course, Croom has been terrible as well. Alabama was just really hurt when Franchionni & Mike Price and was stupid in limiting itself to Alabama alumns.

Either way, I think Shula got pretty lucky last year (close wins) and this year got pretty unlucky (all those missed kicks at ARK???). He play wanny-ball, and this year he succumbed to the pressure from the fans. I know one game, on 3rd and 8/goal, he calls a run. Doesn't get the TD, then has the balls to call a pass on 4th down? If you don't go for it on 3rd down, you definitely don't go for it on 4th down.

He's just too nice of a guy to be really successful.

One thing is certain- coaching at Alabama might be less work, but its definitely much higher pressure than coaching for the Dolphins.

Alex44
11-27-2006, 03:14 PM

Thats whats horrible about the world :nono: its not all about money in life. Some people need to realize that.....

pwn3dyo
11-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Don't think Saban would take it even if they offered $5M a year (which they wont). Saban wants to be known as a winner.

ZOD
11-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Hey guys i'm a Bama alum.Shula was fired this morning and its not Saban,but Spurrier will probaly take the Bama
job.

Spurrier ain't taking the job. He had a top five recruiting class this past year (2006). I think the win versus Florida in 2005 had alot to do with that. The recruiting grade dropped significantly this year (2007) to 26th. The latest win against Clemson probably turned some kids heads toward South Carolina. I think the win at Clemson along with some close games versus the SEC competition has convinced Spurrier that he could turn around South Carolina much like he did at Florida.

The bottom line is that the University of Miami has the best shot at Spurrier as a result of the local ties. Miami will not worship him as they do in Columbia though. With the latest win at Clemson, Spurrier has this school by the nuts with a vice. Think Barry Alvarez for Miami.

Alabama doesn't have a shot.

Namor
11-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Jimmy Sexton is at Bama as we speak.

rhadaddy
11-27-2006, 03:57 PM
But this reaks of Miami Media gunning for Nick Saban. It's no suprise that they hate him down here for his gustapo type control over the team and info. I've been listening to 790 here at work all day and heard the same flash, so I figured I'd check both ESPN and the AP websites to see if there was any smoke to these reports...and I came up with nothing, nada. By no means would this be a small story for a NFL head coach to be entertaining a college job, especially in a market such as Miami.

I just find it odd that Mark Shaprio blatantly broke Nicks media policy and aired a practice where our punter was basically trying to fire up the team by ripping the Lions..giving them bullentin board material, if as they almost wanted to try and sabotage the team. When we were in our 1-6 slump there was talk of Michigan and even some whispers about UM, and now Alabama.

It's obvious that the media down here loathe Saban and want to see him gone and I'm not suprised to see this type of stuff go on... Just ask Wanny how he feels about Greg Cote and Jason Cole.

ZOD
11-27-2006, 04:03 PM
It's obvious that the media down here loathe Saban and want to see him gone and I'm not suprised to see this type of stuff go on... Just ask Wanny how he feels about Greg Cote and Jason Cole.

What do you expect? They are vultures hoping that you kill their next road side meal.

Crypt Keeper
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Jimmy Sexton is at Bama as we speak.Potentially ironing out Saban's new contract with Bama. Doesn't look good folks.

rhadaddy
11-27-2006, 04:13 PM
What do you expect? They are vultures hoping that you kill their next road side meal.

It just annoys me to see that crap go on. I mean to See Shapiro and WSVN all smug announce on Wednesday how Nick Sabn is Mad because they released that video after he demanded they didn't. Then Shaprio went on to say how nothing will change and they'll still cover the dolphins and their games will still be aired there... dont know if anyone caught that, but it was clearly obvious that shapiro was A happy that he aired that clip and B was putting it in Saban's face saying you can't do anything about it.

On lunch I listen to ESPN on sirius and during their news flash there is no mention about Nick Saban being tapped as a successor but they do mention Shula being fired. with all of the media guys down here, ties to ESPN and the national outlet this would be picked up imemdiately by ESPN. this sounds more like a devisive effort to create controversy.

I'm not saying that it's a collective conspiracy, but given the haterd that they have for Nick, I wouldn't be suprised that even the smallest information whether credible or not will be exploited especially if it help in a negative light.

rhadaddy
11-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Is now picking up the story on ESPNhttp://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2677391

Speculation over his replacement has focused on Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban and South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier, both of whom continue to make it clear that they have no intention of leaving their respective jobs. A friend of Spurrier reiterated as much Monday morning, when Spurrier was out of Columbia recruiting.

ZOD
11-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Jimmy Sexton is at Bama as we speak.

Jimmy Sexton is a sports agent. You will find his name among many others registered on the schools website as registered NFL agents.

IF HE IS THERE.....

He could be there to discuss Spurrier because he represents Spurrier. He could be collecting an offer for Spurrier to take back to USC.

He represents these 1 million plus performers:

Auburn's Tommy Tuberville, South Carolina's Steve Spurrier, Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer and Arkansas' Houston Nutt — as well as Larry Coker of Miami (Fla.), Frank Beamer of Virginia Tech, Nick Saban of the Miami Dolphins and the Dallas Cowboys' Bill Parcells.

God only knows how many other coaches he represents that do not earn 1 million or more. If he represents Navy's Paul Johnson, this would be the most deserved contract anyone has earned.

I do know that he represents LSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher.

Rivals.com is listing the following as candidates.....

Candidates: Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier, Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer, Louisville coach Bobby Petrino, Navy coach Paul Johnson, West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez, Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe, Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey

Otherwise, Jimmy Sexton is a sports agent. He is known to push his clients names as the next coach of XYZ University in order to squeeze another penny out of the present employer. Alabama also has at least 10 football players that the NFL has shown interest.

TampaFinsFan01
11-27-2006, 05:27 PM

This is a fit made in heaven. Hes a proven great college coach. There is a ton of tradition at Alabama. He could win a few BCS Championships....and he'd be set for life. I think he should very much consider this job.

PhinsRock
11-27-2006, 05:29 PM
what is saban's current salary?

I believe its about 4-1/2 Million/year. No way Bama pays enough to get him to switch, he's ours.

TampaFinsFan01
11-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Not necessarily. In the pros, you don't have to deal with crazy boosters and you don't have to travel to some 17 year old's house in the middle of nowhere to kiss his arse.

There are pros and cons with both college and the pros.

Still....you only have to work 10 months out of the year....and the college coach's days are about 10 hours a day during the season, and mostly traveling after that. In the NFL, its 11 months of 16 hour days.

Smithboy
11-27-2006, 05:30 PM
He's not taking the job, nor should he.

The longer he stays in Miami, the better off the Fins will be.

Crypt Keeper
11-27-2006, 05:34 PM
This could keep getting more deep. ESPN is saying that the West Virginia coach is a likely candidate for the Alabama job. SO, if he takes that job, the West Virginia job becomes open which just so happens to be the state where Saban grew up in.

emocomputerjock
11-27-2006, 05:37 PM
This is a fit made in heaven. Hes a proven great college coach. There is a ton of tradition at Alabama. He could win a few BCS Championships....and he'd be set for life. I think he should very much consider this job.

As I said earlier in the thread to redneck, I'm sure your opinion has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you've been bashing Saban continuously for the past 3 months.

Losing Saban would be a horrible thing for this team, and we'd be set back another 3-4 years. I'm not willing to go through another rebuilding process for that long again.

TampaFinsFan01
11-27-2006, 05:38 PM
But this reaks of Miami Media gunning for Nick Saban. It's no suprise that they hate him down here for his gustapo type control over the team and info. I've been listening to 790 here at work all day and heard the same flash, so I figured I'd check both ESPN and the AP websites to see if there was any smoke to these reports...and I came up with nothing, nada. By no means would this be a small story for a NFL head coach to be entertaining a college job, especially in a market such as Miami.

I just find it odd that Mark Shaprio blatantly broke Nicks media policy and aired a practice where our punter was basically trying to fire up the team by ripping the Lions..giving them bullentin board material, if as they almost wanted to try and sabotage the team. When we were in our 1-6 slump there was talk of Michigan and even some whispers about UM, and now Alabama.

The local media might hate him because of the way he treats them. Or they might hate him because of the way the team started the season....

TampaFinsFan01
11-27-2006, 05:43 PM
As I said earlier in the thread to redneck, I'm sure your opinion has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you've been bashing Saban continuously for the past 3 months.

Losing Saban would be a horrible thing for this team, and we'd be set back another 3-4 years. I'm not willing to go through another rebuilding process for that long again.

My opinion is that we would be better off with another coach...and I think Saban is more suited for the college game. This would represent a win/win IMO.

What would be so horrible about losing Saban? Afraid we might miss the playoffs if he leaves? You think we might start 1-6 next year without him? What are you afraid of exactly? Blowing a second round pick for a washed up QB when we could have had a Pro Bowl QB AND kept the second round pick?

I think he should go. I hope he goes. I think he'll probably stay. And I am forced to be okay with that.

phinphanforever
11-27-2006, 05:55 PM

I don't think that it is ALL about the money. Saban strikes me as a person who is motivated by challenges, not dollars. He is a character guy. I highly doubt that any of these offers are even landing on his radar screen.
Even if someone offered a boatload of dough, I'm sure Wayne-who has very deep pockets- would make a counter offer if it meant keeping Saban.

People are talking nonsense jsut for the sake of it.

malzj
11-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Saban isn't going anywhere. Like the above person said, he's a charecter guy. He's not going anywhere untill he feels like he's done all he can for the dolphins. The fins job is a coaches dream. Nick isn't the type of person that leaves a place if things aren't going well, he works harder and rises above the situation.

phinphanforever
11-27-2006, 06:06 PM
My opinion is that we would be better off with another coach...and I think Saban is more suited for the college game. This would represent a win/win IMO.

What would be so horrible about losing Saban? Afraid we might miss the playoffs if he leaves? You think we might start 1-6 next year without him? What are you afraid of exactly? Blowing a second round pick for a washed up QB when we could have had a Pro Bowl QB AND kept the second round pick?

I think he should go. I hope he goes. I think he'll probably stay. And I am forced to be okay with that.
Saban has been a huge success since he arrived here, and yet I hear some like yourself who say we should get rid of him. It almost makes me cry. Are you just a casual football fan? Are you watching our games? Do you remember JJ, Wanny, and yes, I know it is sacriledge to soem, but Don Shula in the latter part of his career? I think that most football experts would acknowledge that Sabn is easily a top 5 coach in the NFL right now. Easily. Peter KIng, who I often disagree with, yet who has a fair amount of knowledge of the game said so himself in a recent column.
Saban has turned a moribund football franchise inot one that looks as though it has a very promising future. When Saban kept emphasising "the process" versus the results, there were those who were obviously too thick headed to understand what he was talking about . Many miscontrued what he was saying as beleived he didn't care about winning. I have never heawrd anything so foolish in my life.
Of course Saban wants to win, but he understands that there is a process to go about doing so. He has taken the team from the brink of cap hell to a situation that is looking pretty enviable to most teams. He took a 4-12 team and turned them inot a 9-7 team that won 6 in a row. HE acquired a QB, who I would argue has the potential to be a top 3 Qb in this league, for a fairly reasonable price - True Cpep didn't play well, but he was obviously still not recovered. Let's see how he pans out next year before any rash judgments. Saban has also drafted very well. I think if you look at his first two drafts, most people would acknowledge that he is one of the better evaluators of talent in the league.
Remember, a coach can only do so much, and I think Saban has done plenty. HE is giving this team an identity. WHat else do you want form the guy? To walk on water?

Rick 1966
11-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Saban has been a huge success since he arrived here

:sidelol:
In what alternate universe is starting 3-7 and 1-6 and missing the playoffs considered "success?"
Hell, if THAT'S success, Wannstedt was a freaking Hall of Fame coach!

TrojanMAAAAN
11-27-2006, 06:27 PM
In what alternate universe is starting 3-7 and 1-6 and missing the playoffs considered "success?"
Hell, if THAT'S success, Wannstedt was a freaking Hall of Fame coach!

This is the NFL, not McDonalds...you can't order up a new head coach and a super bowl season off the $1 menu.

It's a process...and Saban has the Phins in a fantastic position on the business end and choc full of young talent that will be paying dividends for years...

themole
11-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Spurrier ain't taking the job. He had a top five recruiting class this past year (2006). I think the win versus Florida in 2005 had alot to do with that. The recruiting grade dropped significantly this year (2007) to 26th. The latest win against Clemson probably turned some kids heads toward South Carolina. I think the win at Clemson along with some close games versus the SEC competition has convinced Spurrier that he could turn around South Carolina much like he did at Florida.

The bottom line is that the University of Miami has the best shot at Spurrier as a result of the local ties. Miami will not worship him as they do in Columbia though. With the latest win at Clemson, Spurrier has this school by the nuts with a vice. Think Barry Alvarez for Miami.

Alabama doesn't have a shot.

If he doesn't get that, they don't get him! That's part of his job description. :lol: I'm still a fan of the ole ball coach, but he is a royal, blueblooded, circular, S.O.B!

Rick 1966
11-27-2006, 06:32 PM
This is the NFL, not McDonalds...you can't order up a new head coach and a super bowl season off the $1 menu.

It's a process...and Saban has the Phins in a fantastic position on the business end and choc full of young talent that will be paying dividends for years...

That's your OPINION. And you might be right. But even if you are, it doesn't mean Saban has already had success by any objective definition of the word. It's ridiculous to say he has.

muscle979
11-27-2006, 06:42 PM

Good post.

I've said it a million times but obviously it needs to be said again. Look around at the other rookies who came into the league when he did. What do we have, we have Romeo Crennell, I don't have to tell you how great Cleveland is right now. We have Mike Nolan sitting at 5-6 after a 4 win season last year. His team has shown flashes of being good but have been horribly inconsistant. The niners have been flat out embarrassed this season at times. The standard that Saban has been held to by some is just short of ridiculous. The man took a 4-12 team in shambles and after his first 27 games as an NFL head coach he has a winning record. Not many could make that claim.

muscle979
11-27-2006, 06:43 PM
That's your OPINION. And you might be right. But even if you are, it doesn't mean Saban has already had success by any objective definition of the word. It's ridiculous to say he has.

A winning record can't be claimed as success? Most of the coaches in the league right now haven't won a Lombardi, I guess they all suck too.

305TillIDie
11-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Saban makes 5 mill a year here with the Dolphins..Alabama offering 2 to 2.5 mill

hes staying

Rick 1966
11-27-2006, 06:54 PM
A winning record can't be claimed as success? Most of the coaches in the league right now haven't won a Lombardi, I guess they all suck too.

If you didn't make the playoffs, your season hasn't been successful. If you're willing to accept less than that, well...apparently you're rooting for the right team, unfortunately. :(

ckparrothead
11-27-2006, 07:04 PM
"Don't care to be, don't want to be," Saban said. "I have a job to do here. My focus is on our players, this team, us getting better. I'm not interested in any other circumstances or situations any other place else. Mike Shula is a good guy, a friend. I hate to see anybody not be able to maintain... I think he's done a good job there and should have been given an opportunity to stay there.

"It's always flattering to be considered for anything. I have a lot of respect for these things but this has been the case for years. When I was in college it was always about coming to the pros. This is the challenge I wanted. I had a good college job so why would I have left that if I was going to be interested in other college jobs? I took this as a challenge and we certainly haven't seen this through and gotten where we wanted to go and finished the job here so why would I be interested in something else?

"Nobody's contacted me. I haven't talked to anybody about anything. I wouldn't talk to anybody about anything regardless of that."

Don't know how you can be more unequivocal than that. It is exactly like I said it would be.

cstew
11-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Yes or No? I have become a fan of the Dolphins since Saban became the coach. My allegiance is to my alma matter... LSU. I would hate to see him come back to the SEC and whip our *** every year, which is what would happen. Our current coach... les miles is not nearly as good as SABAN! Your team is very lucky to have him as the coach!

jdang307
11-27-2006, 07:59 PM
I don't normally do this because I don't care and am not a forum flashlight cop ... but you could have scanned at least the front page of the forum before posting. Again I don't care but others are gonna roast ya!

DolphinDevil28
11-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Nick Saban is staying with the Dolphins.

Rest assured.

Geaux Tigers!

Canadianfishfan
11-27-2006, 09:06 PM
First of all... saban isnt finsihed putting his stamp on this team.... He has free reign to mould it into the team he desires.. yea the media can be a pain... But Im sure he was prepared for it. A franchise with our history isnt going to be an easy gig for any coach.

Second... Saban isnt horrifically unsuccessful here as Spurrier was in Washington. we're still competitive, we have some great veteran leaders to help coach up the rookies and draft choices.. Our young talent, although may ne develop at the same pace.. are starting to show some flashes of brilliance... Mr. Roth.. thank you for showing up bro!

Thirdly.. I do belive if Saban is the kind of man I think he is... He has something to prove... not really to the fams or the NFL.. but he is maticulous.. a consumate planner and workaholic... he wants to succeed at this level.

Now he is being reminded that the fans of a pro franchise arent as forgiving as they are in the college ranks.. but he is doing it his way. I loved his comments about the Detroit fans. That is a coach that stands by his players. He doesnt really berate players in the media.. and we're slowly getting better... this is a team people WANT to play for... remember with Wanny when players avoided us like the plague.. Booker crying because he got traded here? Booker is enjoying things now.. but if he has Saban here from the get go it would have made him more comfortable with his surroundings.

Saban isnt going anywhere... He knows.. like we know.. this is his best shot at seeing if he's got what it takes to be successful in the NFL.. he's got a sweet gig... Wayne H. will sign any cheque he deems necessary...Who walks away from the opportunity of greatness?

Brown42000
11-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Yeah, a context of Drew Brees being available for no draft compensation when he gave up a second rounder for a much inferior Daunte Culpepper who was not recovered from his injury. A context of better players being available when he drafted Jason Allen and several other of his draft picks. A context of better FA DBs being available when he signed Will Allen. A context of better offensive coordinators being available when he hired Mularkey.
That sort of context.
What better offensive coordinators? Mike Martz, that guy is a joke and was only successful in St.Louis because he was given all of Dick Vermeil's talent. Drew Brees had an injury to his throwing shoulder and Daunte had an injury to his knee and he was also told by his doctors that Daunte would be the better long term answer then Brees. Also not many coaches are willing to throw 60 million dollars to a quarterback who just had shoulder sugery on his throwing shoulder and wasn't healed yet. Will Allen was one of the better corners in free agency and didn't have to overpay overrated cornerbacks(Charles Woodson) and if I'm mistaked he has turned out to be a very good corner and shutdowns receivers for the most part of a game. His first year draft is one of the better drafts Miami has had in years and the best draft of that year IMO. The little playing time Jason Allen has had this year he has done a great job and will be a great safety for us in years to come. I think you might be one of those fans who will never be happy.

muscle979
11-27-2006, 09:15 PM
If you didn't make the playoffs, your season hasn't been successful. If you're willing to accept less than that, well...apparently you're rooting for the right team, unfortunately. :(

According to your logic, 20 coaches should be losing thier jobs after this season.

Phanatical
11-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Saban says he has no interest in Alabama, wasn't offered the job, hasn't talked to anyone, and isn't finished accomplishing his goals in Miami. Nuff said.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/Dolphins/entries/2006/11/rb_cobbs_signed.html?cxntfid=blogs_miami_dolphins

GO PHINS~!

Gonk
11-27-2006, 11:22 PM
:D :D :D

Also on Monday, Saban strongly rebutted reports that said he was offered the coaching job at the University of Alabama after the school fired Mike Shula.

"Don't care to be, don't want to be," Saban said. "I have a job to do here. My focus is on our players, this team, us getting better. I'm not interested in any other circumstances or situations any other place else. Mike Shula is a good guy, a friend. I hate to see anybody not be able to maintain... I think he's done a good job there and should have been given an opportunity to stay there.

"It's always flattering to be considered for anything. I have a lot of respect for these things but this has been the case for years. When I was in college it was always about coming to the pros. This is the challenge I wanted. I had a good college job so why would I have left that if I was going to be interested in other college jobs? I took this as a challenge and we certainly haven't seen this through and gotten where we wanted to go and finished the job here so why would I be interested in something else?

"Nobody's contacted me. I haven't talked to anybody about anything. I wouldn't talk to anybody about anything regardless of that."

:D :D :D

RHoffman
11-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Saban made it clear he is not going anywhere...end of story.
Let it die.

:dolphins:

TampaFinsFan01
11-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Yes or No? I have become a fan of the Dolphins since Saban became the coach. My allegiance is to my alma matter... LSU. I would hate to see him come back to the SEC and whip our *** every year, which is what would happen. Our current coach... les miles is not nearly as good as SABAN! Your team is very lucky to have him as the coach!

I'm a big LSU fan as well, but I don't consider myself lucky to have Saban coaching the Fins. Hes been average, at best. Hes nothing special, thats for sure.

CrunchTime
11-28-2006, 11:26 AM
I am moving this thread to the depths.Just too many anatagonistic posts and personal attacks.I got tired of deleting them.

Mike13
11-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Just delete the thread, Saban said he isn't going anywhere.

retired opfinistic
11-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Just delete the thread, Saban said he isn't going anywhere.post o' the day.