PDA

View Full Version : The Official Wii Launch Thread MERGED

Link
11-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Nintendo's Revolution has begun and is already putting up big numbers with the recently released Nintendo Wii. So far, Nintendo has sold over 600,000 Wii consoles. That and the strong selling of first part games and accessory sales brought in $190 million in its first week alone. The big N has a huge hit on their hands and they know it. They are trying hard to get more systems out in an attempt to meet the demand. If you are without a Wii do not worry, Nintendo hopes to have 4 million total in stores or in gamers hand by the end of the year.

No doubt that the biggest Wii title is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, gamers proved that by picking up 454,000 copies of the newest game in one of the most popular Nintendo franchises. That is right, 75% of Wii owners have the game. It still remains to be seen if this game will have better sales then possibly some of the best games made also in the Zelda series.

Link
11-28-2006, 10:33 PM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/747/747813p1.html

Hide the kids, lock the doors and windows, the Nintendo Wii is on a rampage! No one is safe....

From it being too addictive? It looks like even Stephen Colbert is not safe from the Revolution of video games. *gasp* No one is safe! More at 11. :lol:

finfan01
11-28-2006, 10:39 PM
:lol::lol:

600,000 times 250 a console.....hmm.
nice profit

PhinSoldia
11-28-2006, 10:56 PM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/747/747813p1.html

Hide the kids, lock the doors and windows, the Nintendo Wii is on a rampage! No one is safe....

lets see what happens

From it being too addictive? It looks like even Stephen Colbert is not safe from the Revolution of video games. *gasp* No one is safe! More at 11. :lol:

the wii will be like th old dolpins...start of strong and then wither(simply because of the price) and the ps3 is like the new dolphins...start off slow and finish strong...(when the price drops)

FLOUNDER
11-28-2006, 11:08 PM
XBOX 360 is the best out of the 3 in my opinion. the Wii is just to difficult to play, plus the grahics are even that good...and the ps3 is WAY to expensive... and people wont wait a year or 2 for prices to go down. They want something right now!! thats affordable, and very good graphics. 360 is the route to go

Scatman
11-28-2006, 11:39 PM
XBOX 360 is the best out of the 3 in my opinion. the Wii is just to difficult to play, plus the grahics are even that good...and the ps3 is WAY to expensive... and people wont wait a year or 2 for prices to go down. They want something right now!! thats affordable, and very good graphics. 360 is the route to go

wow, lol ....the wii is too difficult to plaY...... ill let link handle this one

but ill agree that out of 3, 360 is prob best way to go

Link
11-28-2006, 11:46 PM

My 65 year old dad doesn't think so... :shakeno:

Jt0323
11-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Wii is great to play w. your friends but not as fun playing alone...

Mike13
11-29-2006, 12:02 AM
No Bears this time?

Fins13Fins
11-29-2006, 12:02 AM
It's official. The ps3 launch is a bust.

Link
11-29-2006, 12:12 AM
It's official. The ps3 launch is a bust.

I don't think you call either system's launch a bust. They both sold out on the number available.

Joe Flipper
11-29-2006, 12:34 AM
I don't think you call either system's launch a bust. They both sold out on the number available.

OK OK...now stop with the TENDO fan madness...i played this thing...the graphics STINK...no high def..no dvd..no highdef dvd..no good games (at launch)...dont tell me ZELDA cause its a cube game and no better..:D
i know you like your tendo systems and games....but enough is enough...i dont care if every mickey mouse club, romper room,captain kangaroo & cub scout bought a system....ENOUGH !

THE Wii IS A B U S T :sidelol:

ok now that i got that out...man i wish i could play that dam ZELDA game :tongue:

Fins13Fins
11-29-2006, 12:46 AM

I've heard nothing but bad thing about the ps3. The wii on the other hand I've heard alot of good things. And the fact that the wii outsold the ps3 three times over is also a good indication as well.

Think about it. Do you really think Sony wanted to be behind the wii in sales when it launched? Not off to a good start that's for sure.

Link
11-29-2006, 12:55 AM
I've heard nothing but bad thing about the ps3. The wii on the other hand I've heard alot of good things. And the fact that the wii outsold the ps3 three times over is also a good indication as well.

Think about it. Do you really think Sony wanted to be behind the wii in sales when it launched? Not off to a good start that's for sure.

Well they better get use to it. Wii60 seems to be people's choice.

As for the graphics stinking like someone else said. Wait till this time next year. These games are not trying to be amazing in that department. I could care less if they are nice and shiny. I want a game that plays well and offer great gameplay. DVD playback, please I have a dvd player for that. It cost 20 dollars or maybe 30. Also must I remind people it is a video game system not an all in one media outlet?

Lastly I stick by Nintendo. Go ahead and mock and have fun, but the truth is I am not alone in liking this system and I am not alone in being thrilled with a new way to play.

Have fun now.

PhinSoldia
11-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Wii is great to play w. your friends but not as fun playing alone...

just like masterbation...going solo is fun for a while and then you feel ashamed...

Fins13Fins
11-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Well they better get use to it. Wii60 seems to be people's choice.

As for the graphics stinking like someone else said. Wait till this time next year. These games are not trying to be amazing in that department. I could care less if they are nice and shiny. I want a game that plays well and offer great gameplay. DVD playback, please I have a dvd player for that. It cost 20 dollars or maybe 30. Also must I remind people it is a video game system not an all in one media outlet?

Lastly I stick by Nintendo. Go ahead and mock and have fun, but the truth is I am not alone in liking this system and I am not alone in being thrilled with a new way to play.

Have fun now.

I agree. I've always like Nintendo. Still do. I still even have my Nintendo64 hooked up. Goldeneye was one of the best games ever. Killer Instinct and Mariokart took away many hours of my life.

To me the whole thing with Sony was all the trash they talked. And after all that trash talk the wii outsells them 3 times over. Poetic Justice.

Link
11-29-2006, 01:26 AM
I agree. I've always like Nintendo. Still do. I still even have my Nintendo64 hooked up. Goldeneye was one of the best games ever. Killer Instinct and Mariokart took away many hours of my life.

To me the whole thing with Sony was all the trash they talked. And after all that trash talk the wii outsells them 3 times over. Poetic Justice.

Want my honest opinion? sony made sega's mistakes and then some. They also made some of Nintendo's mistakes. I still remember Nintendo during the 64 days. Had it not been for their first part library and a few great second and third party games that could have been Nintendo's defeat. People are missing the underlying story here. Nintendo learned from those past mistakes and has a legit shot at taking a good chunk of market share back. Who will they take it from. It won't be microsoft...

I may be a Nintendo fan, but I am also honest. I can't afford more then one console that is my main reason for having a Wii and not any others. I won't miss out on want is going to happen and I can't miss Nintendo's games. I love their series and probably always will. They always provide I high level of quality. Plus I am very interested in what the other companies have yet to dream up for the Wii.

Scatman
11-29-2006, 01:33 AM
just like masterbation...going solo is fun for a while and then you feel ashamed...

sorry brotha (in hulk hogan voice), but i never feel ashamed slugging one off, as a matter of fact i normally dedicate the finallies to someone on the better ones, but enough about that.

the wii freaking rules, stop the hating. yea the graphics blow......but hey theyve gotta leave room to grow....this for nintendo was how link said nintendos comeback into being a powerful videogame company (gamecube days and kinda even n64 days are over and a new beginning). i think with there next gen console theyll try to compete a little more on graphics end again now that theyve fattened their wallets once more.

Link
11-29-2006, 01:41 AM
sorry brotha (in hulk hogan voice), but i never feel ashamed slugging one off, as a matter of fact i normally dedicate the finallies to someone on the better ones, but enough about that.

the wii freaking rules, stop the hating. yea the graphics blow......but hey theyve gotta leave room to grow....this for nintendo was how link said nintendos comeback into being a powerful videogame company (gamecube days and kinda even n64 days are over and a new beginning). i think with there next gen console theyll try to compete a little more on graphics end again now that theyve fattened their wallets once more.

Are you kidding? They still made money during the 64 and Cube. Nintendo just made 190 million in one week. They have the money. Nintendo just chooses to make a system that is new and can be bought by those with not such large wallets.

But really those judging the Wii's graphics now need to stop. I have said it before I will say it now. Look at a game like Super Smash Brothers Melee (a launch game), then look at Resident Evil 4 or Zelda: Twilight Princess.... What do you see?

Stitches
11-29-2006, 09:09 AM

The Wii only sold 3 times over the ps3, because there were 3 times the Wii's available. And I'm sure Sony didn't want to be behind the Wii at launch, but when you sell out your entire lot within 5 minutes of going on sale you can't really be too dissappointed.

And if you've only heard bad things about the ps3, you need to listen more.

But hey, the system was only launched two weeks ago, and sold out immediately so let's just call it a bust. :rolleyes2

Motion
11-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Thats alot? :hmmm:

Stitches
11-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Thats alot? :hmmm:

It's as many as they made, but Sony sold out of thiers too.

UltraDol-Fan
11-29-2006, 10:26 AM
yeah, but Sony only sent over like 200,000

Motion
11-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Supply and demand

Sony would have sold out of they had 1 million units ready IMO

Majpain
11-29-2006, 10:38 AM
It's as many as they made, but Sony sold out of thiers too.

Yes but they had what less than 25,000 consoles in the US?

Motion
11-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Yes but they had what less than 25,000 consoles in the US?
:lol: I love how the number gets lower and lower everytime the Xbox Fanboys post. :lol:

First it was only 400K, then 250K, then 200K, now its a meager 25k! Wow!

Majpain
11-29-2006, 10:48 AM
:lol: I love how the number gets lower and lower everytime the Xbox Fanboys post. :lol:

First it was only 400K, then 250K, then 200K, now its a meager 25k! Wow!

How am I a xbox fanboy? Just because I bought the 360? I dont remember how many they had at launch. I new I should have added a extra zero for this type of situation.

TrueDolFan
11-29-2006, 10:50 AM
The Wii only sold 3 times over the ps3, because there were 3 times the Wii's available. And I'm sure Sony didn't want to be behind the Wii at launch, but when you sell out your entire lot within 5 minutes of going on sale you can't really be too dissappointed.

And if you've only heard bad things about the ps3, you need to listen more.

But hey, the system was only launched two weeks ago, and sold out immediately so let's just call it a bust. :rolleyes2

Yes, Sony sold a lot of systems at launch. The Playstation 3 probably would have sold as many units as the Wii on launch day, if Sony would have made them available.

The first million, 1.5 million or so systems are going to be purchased by the rabid fanboys (or people wanting to sell them on ebay for 5 times the price to the rabid fanboys), that is a fact that everybody on this board should know. The REAL way to gauge a systems success is when you see it sell 4, 5, or 6 million units.

I honestly don't see Sony selling 6 million PS3's at $600 a pop. That is a ridiculous amount of money for a damn video game system. I don't know about the rest of you, but I simply cannot afford (and refuse) to pay $600 for a system, and $60 per game.

Even when the price drops for the PS3, what will it cost? It'll more than likely look like this. First price drop: (next christmas) $549 or $499. Second price drop: (christmas after that) $499 or $399. Final price drop: (sometime in the 4th year of it's life) $399 or $299. That's still too rich for my blood.

Look at the 360. No price drop in it's second year. They didn't have to, because the PS3 is so expensive that it looks affordable in comparison. First price drop: (next christmas) $349. Second price drop: (christmas after that) $299. Final price drop: (4th year) $249 or $199.

Now look at the Wii. Frist price drop: (next christmas) $199. Second price drop: (christmas after that) $149. Final price drop: (sometime in the 4th year) $99.

Any way you look at it, the PS3 costs $200-$350 more than it's competitors right now. At the end of it's life, it'll likely cost $100-$300 more. The cost of the PS3 is going to keep MANY (including myself) away from the PS3. It's just too expensive.

I see the Wii, on price point alone, outselling the PS3. I think Sony is overestimating the willingness (or ability, for that matter) of the average joe to spend SO MUCH on a video game system.

Motion
11-29-2006, 10:57 AM
How am I a xbox fanboy? Just because I bought the 360? I dont remember how many they had at launch. I new I should have added a extra zero for this type of situation.

:lol: You can't be serious. :sidelol:

TrueDolFan
11-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Supply and demand

Sony would have sold out of they had 1 million units ready IMO

Yep. But like I said in my previous post, the first million or 1.5 million is a given.

rob19
11-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Any of you guys know when they might have more wii's available?

Bruzer
11-29-2006, 07:25 PM
They are making shipments like every week I called local gamestop yesterday and they had no idea when they are getting more.

Link
11-29-2006, 07:27 PM
My best advise is to call often. They will not last long. The only way to get one is to be there early.

Bruzer
11-29-2006, 07:32 PM
I may end up getting zelda for the cube until im able to find a wii.

Link
11-29-2006, 07:35 PM
I may end up getting zelda for the cube until im able to find a wii.

I hate to do it, but I have to say I wouldn't do that. The Cube version won't be as good. The Wii contols make this game so much better. No I have not played the Cube version, but I imagine they will be no different then The Wind Waker. But really its up to you. Just trying to help if I can.

finfan01
11-29-2006, 07:41 PM
My character on Wii looks really cool............the Wii Sports series is VERY entertaining...(boxing, golf, baseball, tennis, and bowling)

By the way...Zelda on the Wii is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woot:

Bruzer
11-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Well I really really want a wii but finding one may be very very hard. So I haven't decided yet but I do want a wii just finding one is the problem.

rob19
11-29-2006, 07:47 PM
They are making shipments like every week I called local gamestop yesterday and they had no idea when they are getting more.

same here, they have no idea when there getting more, i was hoping to get one for christmas but i guess they might not have enough.

There's one on ebay for about 400$ but ill probably just wait it out.

Bruzer
11-29-2006, 07:49 PM
lol I just checked ebay also but I wont spend more than I have to for a system I can wait rather than pay 400$

DeathStar
11-29-2006, 08:02 PM
:lol::lol:

600,000 times 250 a console.....hmm.
nice profit

thats not the profit.

thats the total revenue...

finfan01
11-29-2006, 09:55 PM
thats not the profit.

thats the total revenue...

Lighten up..:tongue:

Link
12-02-2006, 02:45 AM
13 days after the launch of the Nintendo Wii it has reached (and passed) the one million units sold mark. The Japanese Launch is all sold out.

VanDolPhan
12-02-2006, 04:58 AM
I'm at least getting a kick outta the idiots who are overdoing it with the controller causing damage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkdihGX7iWM&eurl=

http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/ Check out all the poor tv's taken out by the idiots ;p

Link
12-02-2006, 05:15 AM
I'm at least getting a kick outta the idiots who are overdoing it with the controller causing damage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkdihGX7iWM&eurl=

http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/ Check out all the poor tv's taken out by the idiots ;p

Yeah that is what they are, idiots.

I mean the strap doesn't break unless you put alot of pressure on it and you won't put any on it if you have any ability to hold on to objects.

On top of that, the moron in the youtube video was really over doing it. I mean a simple move of the wrist nets the same result minus the idiots excuse to be on youtube.

muscle979
12-02-2006, 10:07 AM
I hate to do it, but I have to say I wouldn't do that. The Cube version won't be as good. The Wii contols make this game so much better. No I have not played the Cube version, but I imagine they will be no different then The Wind Waker. But really its up to you. Just trying to help if I can.

Being that the game will probably look just as good on GC and it won't cost me 300 dollars to buy a new console I'll probably just suck it up and use the old school controller. I mean the game was designed for gamecube anyway.

Link
12-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Being that the game will probably look just as good on GC and it won't cost me 300 dollars to buy a new console I'll probably just suck it up and use the old school controller. I mean the game was designed for gamecube anyway.

Yes that is true, but in the end the Wii controls make my new favorite game better then it could be with the GameCube controls, but really either way you get an amazing game. So, if you don't want the Wii just yet go ahead and pick up the GameCube version on the 11th, but I would reccomend that down the line if you get a Wii to at very least rent the Wii version.

Bruzer
12-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Well see that was my plan get gamecube version if I have to and then get a wii with wii version down the road.

Dolfan11
12-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Well. I just bought my Wii. I'm loving it. Still contemplating whether I should get Madden or not, but I most likely will.

Dolfan11
12-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Zelda Twilight Princess is incredible.

Link
12-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Well. I just bought my Wii. I'm loving it. Still contemplating whether I should get Madden or not, but I most likely will.

Get Madden. The Wii version is the best way to play the game.

Zelda Twilight Princess is incredible.

Yes it is.

Scatman
12-02-2006, 08:17 PM
ALRIGHT/
has anyone gotten Red Steel?

im really crazy to try it but dont watnt to buy it in case its a bust.

Link
12-02-2006, 08:27 PM
ALRIGHT/
has anyone gotten Red Steel?

im really crazy to try it but dont watnt to buy it in case its a bust.

I wish I could help you, but shooters are not my thing. I have not heard many people say a lot good about it. I would say it would be wise to rent first.

Scatman
12-03-2006, 03:22 AM
I wish I could help you, but shooters are not my thing. I have not heard many people say a lot good about it. I would say it would be wise to rent first.

yea thought same thing about renting it but they dont have it im my blockbuster...at all.

kinda sucks. but oh well