PDA

View Full Version : Noel Devine kicked off team

305TillIDie
11-28-2006, 10:58 PM
for fighting in the lockroom..everybody and their momma was after this kid

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061128/SPORTS/311280027/1075

Nappy Roots
11-28-2006, 11:00 PM
why?

wasnt that the last game of the year?

Caps
11-28-2006, 11:01 PM
I guess he's earned his nutcase membership.

305TillIDie
11-28-2006, 11:04 PM
why?

wasnt that the last game of the year?i guess it happened this week sometime

Coral Reefer
11-28-2006, 11:06 PM
I guess he's earned his nutcase membership.

He hasn't exactly been a stellar kid even before this.

I don't see the guy having any kind of career.
He won't be on a field long enough to make a dent IMO.

Mike13
11-29-2006, 12:40 AM
A perfect fit for Thug U.:lol:

Nappy Roots
11-29-2006, 12:49 AM
A perfect fit for Thug U.:lol:

ill take him at FSU. i dont give a ****

305TillIDie
11-29-2006, 12:54 AM
ill take him at FSU. i dont give a ****:yeahthat:

sign him up

Mike13
11-29-2006, 12:56 AM
He's an aweome player though, He's young and he has time to mature.If he doesn't we have another Clarett or T.O on our hands.

HysterikiLL
11-29-2006, 01:08 AM
what a thug. :lol:

DonShula84
11-29-2006, 01:15 AM
He couldnt make grades in high school, how is going to do it in college? He's trouble for which ever Florida school takes the chance on him

Nappy Roots
11-29-2006, 01:19 AM
He couldnt make grades in high school, how is going to do it in college? He's trouble for which ever Florida school takes the chance on him

same way plenty of dumb people make grades in college.

Majpain
11-29-2006, 01:55 AM
I read a arcticle about him in the ST Pete times. He knocked up 2 chicks. Crazy stuff. Went to go live with Irvin (or some other retired WR or RB.)

I think he is going to hvae alot of off the feild problems.

305TillIDie
11-29-2006, 01:58 AM
I read a arcticle about him in the ST Pete times. He knocked up 2 chicks. Crazy stuff. Went to go live with Irvin (or some other retired WR or RB.)

I think he is going to hvae alot of off the feild problems.he stayed with Deion..primetime :eek:

Motion
11-29-2006, 09:21 AM
He hasn't exactly been a stellar kid even before this.

I don't see the guy having any kind of career.
He won't be on a field long enough to make a dent IMO.

:yeahthat:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-29-2006, 09:30 AM
he got two girls pregnant, he's getting in fights in lockerrooms, he's apparently also dumb INSIDE the classroom........wow. bobby bowden is drooling right now.

Motion
11-29-2006, 09:35 AM
he got two girls pregnant, he's getting in fights in lockerrooms, he's apparently also dumb INSIDE the classroom........wow. bobby bowden is drooling right now.

:lol: So true

Majpain
11-29-2006, 09:37 AM
he stayed with Deion..primetime :eek:

Thats who it was :hi5:

Stitches
11-29-2006, 09:54 AM

I hope Bowden gets him, because if he does, Bowden will likely be gone soon.

Timmy54
11-29-2006, 10:13 AM
bad thing is Meyer is all over this kid and he was at the FSU vs UF game and made a statement that he really thought he would look good in Orange and Blue. Plus, he did only get kicked out of a all star game, not a season game. I really hope he is a gator to be honest, some say he is a bigger version of Barry Sanders.

Motion
11-29-2006, 10:15 AM
bad thing is Meyer is all over this kid and he was at the FSU vs UF game and made a statement that he really thought he would look good in Orange and Blue. Plus, he did only get kicked out of a all star game, not a season game. I really hope he is a gator to be honest, some say he is a bigger version of Barry Sanders.

Really? I haven't heard any link of him and Meyer. I know your closer to the source though. Got any links on this?

Timmy54
11-29-2006, 10:22 AM
If you look at scouts or rivals, they said in one of their articles that Devine was between FSU and UF and that game would do alot to sway him cause he would be there on his offical FSU visit. It also went on to say that FSU was handing out info packs telling of the history of FSU but resinging to the fact UF was going to beat them on sat. by saying something like it is UF's turn??and FSU will be in line again next year. Funny thing about that info pack is they refer to UF's championship and how the gators have to look at their trophey knowing that the only team to beat them that year was FSU. they fail to mention the pounding that spurrier put on them in the bowl game that same season.

As for a link for the Devine story, it came by word of mouth, so take that for what it is worth.

Oboy
11-29-2006, 10:23 AM
I am sure most schools will still be after him...

Now if he makes grades is a TOTAL different thing. Not sure he can get in to UF if his grades are that bad.

Motion
11-29-2006, 10:24 AM
If you look at scouts or rivals, they said in one of their articles that Devine was between FSU and UF and that game would do alot to sway him cause he would be there on his offical FSU visit. It also went on to say that FSU was handing out info packs telling of the history of FSU but resinging to the fact UF was going to beat them on sat. by saying something like it is UF's turn??and FSU will be in line again next year. Funny thing about that info pack is they refer to UF's championship and how the gators have to look at their trophey knowing that the only team to beat them that year was FSU. they fail to mention the pounding that spurrier put on them in the bowl game that same season.

As for a link for the Devine story, it came by word of mouth, so take that for what it is worth.

Interesting............

Timmy54
11-29-2006, 10:29 AM
it is, alot of people around here (local sports guys on tv and radio) think Meyer has a shot at this kid. Really, Meyer has a shot with any talent in florida cause the other two programs are in disarray and Meyer is on the rise. We shall see.

finswin56
11-29-2006, 11:06 AM
It's a damn shame. So much talent. Let's keep in mind this BOTH Noel's parents died when he was a kid from AIDS. He's lived in several different "homes". Not bad kid homes, just different families taking him in.

I wouldn't give up on him yet. He needs stability and a strong authority figure that he can respect.

I'm with you Timmy. I still want him in Gainesville. I believe in Meyer, and think his leadership could make a positive impact on someone like Noel Devine... not to mention that Devine would be an ridiculous fit for Meyer's system.

finswin56
11-29-2006, 11:07 AM
bad thing is Meyer is all over this kid and he was at the FSU vs UF game and made a statement that he really thought he would look good in Orange and Blue. Plus, he did only get kicked out of a all star game, not a season game. I really hope he is a gator to be honest, some say he is a bigger version of Barry Sanders.:confused: How small was Barry coming out of HS? Devine is pretty small.

Majpain
11-29-2006, 11:09 AM
I thought I read him at 170 or 180. Maybe smaller. It was a couple of weeks ago.

Timmy54
11-29-2006, 11:23 AM
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2392416

there are a couple of articles on the kid here too, like one from his coach saying he is doing everything you want him to do in and out of the classroom.

DonShula84
11-29-2006, 05:22 PM
With UF pretty likely to get Aramando Allen I dont see why they'd still be after this guy. Still annoys me that a guy who cant hold a C average through a football season will get a scholarship to a Division 1 school.

Stitches
11-29-2006, 05:23 PM
With UF pretty likely to get Aramando Allen I dont see why they'd still be after this guy. Still annoys me that a guy who cant hold a C average through a football season will get a scholarship to a Division 1 school.

Same here.

cnc66
11-29-2006, 05:26 PM

sheit, Bobah's been droolin' for years...and wearin' depends

Crowder52
11-29-2006, 06:32 PM

What bothers you about a kid who probably grew up under terrible cirumstances actually getting a shot at making at in life? It's easy to be so condescending, but like someone mentioned his parents died when he was young. Do you know what it's like growing up without parents? I don't and I'm not going to judge some kid for not turning out 100% good natured and motivated as a result of his upbringing.

DonShula84
11-29-2006, 06:35 PM
What bothers you about a kid who probably grew up under terrible cirumstances actually getting a shot at making at in life? It's easy to be so condescending, but like someone mentioned his parents died when he was young. Do you know what it's like growing up without parents? I don't and I'm not going to judge some kid for not turning out 100% good natured and motivated as a result of his upbringing.

Tell that to all the other kids who grow up with lives just as hard as his but dont get an opportunity to go to college because they cant run a 4.3 forty. Lets not pretend that the school cares about his upbringing and that's why they're overlooking his grades.

Crowder52
11-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Tell that to all the other kids who grow up with lives just as hard as his but dont get an opportunity to go to college because they cant run a 4.3 forty. Lets not pretend that the school cares about his upbringing and that's why they're overlooking his grades.

I said nothing about the school, and this has nothing to do with other kids either. Devine has a chance to make a life for himself because of a God-given talent. Why take that away from him?

Cuban Dave 9
11-29-2006, 07:08 PM
I said nothing about the school, and this has nothing to do with other kids either. Devine has a chance to make a life for himself because of a God-given talent. Why take that away from him?
If you are not talking about the school...what are his talents going to do for him without school?

NewEra8
11-29-2006, 07:14 PM

Thats whats sad... too many kids these days base their lives on physical ability alone in a sport where that can be taken away in a split second... They need a wake-up call

Crowder52
11-29-2006, 07:31 PM
If you are not talking about the school...what are his talents going to do for him without school?

I am commenting on the fact that I believe Noel Devine should get a scholarship in spite of his lackluster grades. He will bring the school much more money than they will pay for his scholarship.

Devine then parlays his college career into an NFL one, or hopefully a college degree. Both Devine and the school benefit. I fail to see the problem.

DonShula84
11-29-2006, 07:51 PM
I am commenting on the fact that I believe Noel Devine should get a scholarship in spite of his lackluster grades. He will bring the school much more money than they will pay for his scholarship.

Devine then parlays his college career into an NFL one, or hopefully a college degree. Both Devine and the school benefit. I fail to see the problem.

The problem is if he had troubling earning a high school degree how is going to earn one in college? Should schools give degrees out just because that person will make their football team money? Then some schools wonder why they get a bad rep.

Phinz4Life
11-29-2006, 08:02 PM

Devine won't get a degree, he'll be out in three years.

Crowder52
11-29-2006, 08:08 PM
In case you guys didn't notice, I said NFL career or a college degree. I still can't see the problem with giving a kid a chance in college when both he and the school benefit from the arrangement. There are plenty of players in the NFL right now who were not smart enough to excel in college, or even earn a college degree. And now they are making a fine living that they otherwise couldn't have. Why you would want to take that away from someone is beyond me.

DonShula84
11-29-2006, 08:15 PM
In case you guys didn't notice, I said NFL career or a college degree. I still can't see the problem with giving a kid a chance in college when both he and the school benefit from the arrangement. There are plenty of players in the NFL right now who were not smart enough to excel in college, or even earn a college degree. And now they are making a fine living that they otherwise couldn't have. Why you would want to take that away from someone is beyond me.

College isnt about getting people to the NFL. Your argument is basically who cares about the academic part of college if you're a good athlete. It's unfair that people get in just because they can run fast but they dont know what 2+2 is. Go to a JC, prove that you can maintain the required GPA and then go to college. There are also plenty of smaller colleges with football teams.

Crowder52
11-29-2006, 09:33 PM
I have yet to see a single reason why he shouldn't be allowed to go to a college like UF or FSU. Plenty of kids are at every college who don't deserve to be there (their parents are boosters, for example). I'm still waiting to hear a legitimate reason.

DonShula84
11-29-2006, 10:11 PM
I have yet to see a single reason why he shouldn't be allowed to go to a college like UF or FSU. Plenty of kids are at every college who don't deserve to be there (their parents are boosters, for example). I'm still waiting to hear a legitimate reason.

Because they didnt earn the right to get in lol. Those other kids shouldnt be there either. Reasons have been given, you are ignoring them

Crowder52
11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Because they didnt earn the right to get in lol. Those other kids shouldnt be there either. Reasons have been given, you are ignoring them

He will make the university much more money than he will cost them. That is a way to "earn the right" to enroll in the university. Kids go to college not only to excel in academics, but also in extracurricular activities.

Bottom line: both the college and the player benefit. Simple as that.

phinphan896
11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
he doesnt look like the sharpest tool in the shed

Kdawg954
11-30-2006, 04:26 AM
College isnt about getting people to the NFL. Your argument is basically who cares about the academic part of college if you're a good athlete. It's unfair that people get in just because they can run fast but they dont know what 2+2 is. Go to a JC, prove that you can maintain the required GPA and then go to college. There are also plenty of smaller colleges with football teams.

Honestly that is how it should be . . . but truth be told, it isn't. Do u actually think that these colleges care about these kids getting degrees? Yea they spit that mumbo jumbo to the parents but they don't give a ****. Case in point, if Noel were to go to UF . . . start getting straight A's and decides he wants to be an engineer . . . he would get "kicked out" of school because he is there to play football and the university would take away his scholarship. The only reason these colleges are interested is because of his athletic ability and the amount of money they will get for bringing this kid in. They hope and pray the kid is able to hold a good enough average to maintain grades and all help for him to do that will be provided. If all he needs is a D average, that will be the target . . . its not to better anybody.

This kid has been thru alot in his life and deserves a shot if one is afforded to him, and hopefully he doesn't take for granted the oppurtunity that is given to him.

DonShula84
11-30-2006, 04:35 AM
Honestly that is how it should be . . . but truth be told, it isn't. Do u actually think that these colleges care about these kids getting degrees? Yea they spit that mumbo jumbo to the parents but they don't give a ****. Case in point, if Noel were to go to UF . . . start getting straight A's and decides he wants to be an engineer . . . he would get "kicked out" of school because he is there to play football and the university would take away his scholarship. The only reason these colleges are interested is because of his athletic ability and the amount of money they will get for bringing this kid in. They hope and pray the kid is able to hold a good enough average to maintain grades and all help for him to do that will be provided. If all he needs is a D average, that will be the target . . . its not to better anybody.

This kid has been thru alot in his life and deserves a shot if one is afforded to him, and hopefully he doesn't take for granted the oppurtunity that is given to him.

I completely agree with everything you said :lol:

Crowder52
11-30-2006, 11:43 AM

Agreed, that's been my point all along.

Stitches
11-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Agreed, that's been my point all along.

Well, that wasn't how it came across origonally.

Crowder52
11-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Well, that wasn't how it came across origonally.

Did you read nothing I wrote? This was my first post. It's almost identical to what the last poster wrote.

Stitches
11-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Did you read nothing I wrote? This was my first post. It's almost identical to what the last poster wrote.

I read what you wrote, and also read what you were replying to, where Don was talking about it being annoying that someone gets a full scholarship to a top university when they can't even hold a C average in high school. Don even replied to what you first wrote with the same things I would have said. Plenty of people out there have it tough, and make the grades to earn a chance at a top university. In your first post, you made it seem like he deserved to have a shot, simply because of his percieved difficulties as a youth. That's why I'm saying it didn't come off the way you may have intended at first.

Motion
11-30-2006, 02:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6CqA7hEzw8

Cuban Dave 9
11-30-2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6CqA7hEzw8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6CqA7hEzw8)
How he stayed up on that last one...I have no idea

Motion
11-30-2006, 03:04 PM
How he stayed up on that last one...I have no idea

Great balance

finswin56
11-30-2006, 03:16 PM

Great balance I don't know that I've EVER seen an athlete with better balance, maybe Barry. That's even more impressive than his speed IMO.

Timmy54
11-30-2006, 03:18 PM
the kid is impressive, I am sure someone somewhere will make sure he is elligible to play ball, he is too good.

NJL52
11-30-2006, 03:33 PM
This kid is the best athlete since Barry Sanders. I have no doubt that he gets a scholarship offer from one of the nations top schools.

Motion
11-30-2006, 03:45 PM
This kid is the best athlete since Barry Sanders. I have no doubt that he gets a scholarship offer from one of the nations top schools.

One? I think its safe to say he'll have multiple offers.

rob19
11-30-2006, 09:11 PM
I hope he goes to UM. He's a great player, and i pretty much agree with what kdawg954 and crowder52 have been saying. I know alot of people who live in the fort myers area and they tell me he's a really bad kid, he got girls pregnant, dosnt go to his classes and gets horrible grades. Like i said, i hope he goes to UM and turns around his behavior, and makes the most of his potential.

305TillIDie
11-30-2006, 09:17 PM
I hope he goes to UM. He's a great player, and i pretty much agree with what kdawg954 and crowder52 have been saying. I know alot of people who live in the fort myers area and they tell me he's a really bad kid, he got girls pregnant, dosnt go to his classes and gets horrible grades. Like i said, i hope he goes to UM and turns around his behavior, and makes the most of his potential.he was a Hurricane fan growing up in Ft. Myers..hopefully he signs with the http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/12/neonu-1.gif

rob19
11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
he was a Hurricane fan growing up in Ft. Myers..hopefully he signs with the U

That be pretty sick, noel AND james. It worked pretty good for USC, we could run the ball 50 times a game.:lol:

Silverphin
11-30-2006, 09:43 PM
he was a Hurricane fan growing up in Ft. Myers..hopefully he signs with the http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/12/neonu-1.gif (http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/17/17437/pages/592961/neonu.gif)

Hell, we'll take him at FAU.

Agent51
12-01-2006, 09:27 AM
He will make the university much more money than he will cost them. That is a way to "earn the right" to enroll in the university. Kids go to college not only to excel in academics, but also in extracurricular activities.

Bottom line: both the college and the player benefit. Simple as that.

That is EXACTLY what is wrong with your POV. College is SUPPOSED to be education first, not just a stepping stone to use to get to the pros. Basically, both the player AND the school are wrong. The player is going to college knowing that he has absolutely no intentions of earning a degree and he's just there to try and get noticed and thus get a bigger pro contract, and the school is wrong because they are allowing it to be that way just because a certain athlete will bring more face time for their team and possibly more success, and thus more money. They are both just using each other for personal gain, they neither have the other's best interest in mind.

Crowder52
12-01-2006, 12:25 PM
That is EXACTLY what is wrong with your POV. College is SUPPOSED to be education first, not just a stepping stone to use to get to the pros. Basically, both the player AND the school are wrong. The player is going to college knowing that he has absolutely no intentions of earning a degree and he's just there to try and get noticed and thus get a bigger pro contract, and the school is wrong because they are allowing it to be that way just because a certain athlete will bring more face time for their team and possibly more success, and thus more money. They are both just using each other for personal gain, they neither have the other's best interest in mind.

What an idealist you are. Who cares if they have each other's best interest in mind? The final result is that both are better off.

And the player has to use college as a stepping stone because of NFL rules. They can't go straight to the NFL and there is no "minor league" like there is in baseball. The NFL is actually set up so that these kids can't make a living at what they excel in until a certain point in time. If you want to blame someone, blame the NFL, but not the kids who are doing what they have to do.

And can we please let go of the "education first" nonsense. If a kid doesn't excel in math or history, but in football, than it only makes sense for him to pursue a career in that field. And if he wants to play in the NFL, he must first play in college. The NFL has made the system what it is, and colleges aren't complaining, because they are making millions upon millions every year from it.

Stitches
12-01-2006, 12:33 PM
What an idealist you are. Who cares if they have each other's best interest in mind? The final result is that both are better off.

And the player has to use college as a stepping stone because of NFL rules. They can't go straight to the NFL and there is no "minor league" like there is in baseball. The NFL is actually set up so that these kids can't make a living at what they excel in until a certain point in time. If you want to blame someone, blame the NFL, but not the kids who are doing what they have to do.

And can we please let go of the "education first" nonsense. If a kid doesn't excel in math or history, but in football, than it only makes sense for him to pursue a career in that field. And if he wants to play in the NFL, he must first play in college. The NFL has made the system what it is, and colleges aren't complaining, because they are making millions upon millions every year from it.

You don't have to go to college first. There are plent semi-pro leagues set up throughout the US that willingly accepts 18 year olds. He could go play football for them for 3 years, and work at a stop gap job(and help pay some child support in the process) rather than going to a university, and making a mockery of higher education.

And the NFL doesn't allow people to enter the league prior to 3 years after graduating high school for a couple reasons. One being physical development. It would be too difficult for almost every player to jump from HS football to the NFL. Another reason is that the NFL wants players who go to college to gain a degree so that they have something to fall back to, and ultimately those with degrees (should) have a better head on thier shoulders as they are more understanding of the real world and how much work life requires. It's the same reason the NBA made thier one-year rule, they are hoping that student-athletes make better decisions with thier lifes, rather than jumping prematurely to something that may not work out.

And the "education first" mentality is not nonsense. They are called student-athletes for a reason. Universities are there to further a person's education, hence them being known as institutions for higher education. Education refers to more than just what you get out of a book.

Crowder52
12-01-2006, 12:51 PM
You don't have to go to college first. There are plent semi-pro leagues set up throughout the US that willingly accepts 18 year olds. He could go play football for them for 3 years, and work at a stop gap job(and help pay some child support in the process) rather than going to a university, and making a mockery of higher education.

And the NFL doesn't allow people to enter the league prior to 3 years after graduating high school for a couple reasons. One being physical development. It would be too difficult for almost every player to jump from HS football to the NFL. Another reason is that the NFL wants players who go to college to gain a degree so that they have something to fall back to, and ultimately those with degrees (should) have a better head on thier shoulders as they are more understanding of the real world and how much work life requires. It's the same reason the NBA made thier one-year rule, they are hoping that student-athletes make better decisions with thier lifes, rather than jumping prematurely to something that may not work out.

As stated before, there is no "minor league" for the NFL. Of course you can go to some joke of a league but you are going to get nowhere near the respect you would get for competing at the college level. I was referring to the lack of a minor league in my argument, I didn't suggest that most of these kids could go straight to the NFL.

Instead of all these charades, Stitches, can you simply give me a reason that Noel Devine shouldn't get to play for a big time college? If your reason is that you think it makes a mockery of the college, then I guess that's your opinion and I will respectfully disagree.

It gives the college exposure and earns money that is used to support the other sports at the school, mainly women's sports and lesser men's sports. Ultimately it makes for a more involved student body.

The school wins, the student body wins, and the athlete wins. The only people who gripe are the elitists who wag their fingers and look down on the athletes for not taking their academics as seriously as they had hoped.

Stitches
12-01-2006, 03:04 PM
As stated before, there is no "minor league" for the NFL. Of course you can go to some joke of a league but you are going to get nowhere near the respect you would get for competing at the college level. I was referring to the lack of a minor league in my argument, I didn't suggest that most of these kids could go straight to the NFL.

Instead of all these charades, Stitches, can you simply give me a reason that Noel Devine shouldn't get to play for a big time college? If your reason is that you think it makes a mockery of the college, then I guess that's your opinion and I will respectfully disagree.

It gives the college exposure and earns money that is used to support the other sports at the school, mainly women's sports and lesser men's sports. Ultimately it makes for a more involved student body.

The school wins, the student body wins, and the athlete wins. The only people who gripe are the elitists who wag their fingers and look down on the athletes for not taking their academics as seriously as they had hoped.

I don't have a problem with him playing at a big time school, so long he were able to prove that he was capable enough in the classroom to deserve the education that is fully available to him at a big time school. I understand he is amazing at football, but when you have someone who struggles in high school(where the classes are already geared towards the lower students, meaning you can succeed so long as you put in at least some effort), I don't think that should entitle them to such a great education, simply because they have good physical abilities. As I said, they are called student-athletes for a reason.

King Felix
12-02-2006, 04:41 AM
just got off the phone with him, he said he wanted to go to oregon state

:confused2 dont kill the messenger