PDA

View Full Version : Called It, Sony's boss change

Scatman
11-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Man ive been saying for a while that Ken Kuraragi, was killing sony and the ps3.....to me it was like what Dave Wandstan did to us in miami. just too arrogant to ever change his ways or admit hes made a mistake....ohh well. heres the article from gamepro in case anyone wants the read:

hopefully ps3 can stil be saved.......

Ken Kutaragi will leave his position as president of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.,and hand day-to-day control of the division to Kaz Hirai, previously head of SCEI's U.S. unit.

Reporting by Martyn Williams
The surprise shake-up will see Kutaragi become chairman and group chief executive officer while Hirai takes on the posts of president and group chief operating officer. The change will take effect on Friday. It comes less than three weeks after the company launched its PlayStation 3 console in Japan and the U.S. -- a launch that has been hit by a string of problems.
The console was originally due to go on sale in early 2006 but was delayed until November because the copy protection standard for the console's Blu-ray Disc drive wasn't ready. As the November launch came closer, Sony was forced to again revise its plans because of a component shortage. That meant the European launch was pushed back until March 2007 and retailers in Japan and the U.S. would get fewer consoles than anticipated.
SCEI was also pushed to reduce the price of the console in Japan prior to its launch. After announcing that the cheaper of two models would cost 62,790 yen (US $541) the product was widely criticized for being too expensive and SCEI cut the price to 49,980 yen.
The company also faces problems in its handheld business. The PlayStation Portable (PSP) was launched with much fanfare in 2005 but business hasn't gone as expected. In the last full fiscal year the company sold around 13 million of the devices. Typically PlayStation sales rise for several years before falling, but SCEI forecast sales this year would be around 12 million units. But business has been much worse than expected, and the estimate now stands at 9 million.
As part of the shake-up Jack Tretton, executive vice president and co-chief operating officer of Sony Computer Entertainment America, will replace Hirai as president. In Japan Akira Sato, a member of the company's board of directors, will become vice chairman and David Reeves, president and COO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, will take on the additional title of deputy president of SCEI.
"On the face of it, it's more of a visible move for Hirai," said Hiroshi Kamide, director of the research department at KBC Securities Japan. "He now takes on global responsibilities inside SCEI. It's the same faces changing hats so for investors it's not such a significant event."

finsrule84
11-30-2006, 10:59 PM
It's not like he got fired, he actually got promoted. Though it will be interesting how Sony's strategy changes with this change. I'm not getting my hopes up, however, since they replaced him with Kaz "Riiiiiiiidge Racer" Hirai.

FinsNCanes
12-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Wanna hear something funny Sony related? I'm up in NC on vacation with my parents (dad works for Sony controlling all of customer relations in the US) he get's a called today about someone who ordered a phone or something from Sony and ended up reciever a box of spaghetti instead. I don't know much about it but apparently a lawsuit is involved :lol:

Scatman
12-01-2006, 12:46 AM
"promoted" in the way that big companys do to aging heads of caompanys that they cant fire for some reason or another....most of the time is cause they have to contractually pay them a nice sum of money upon retirement. so big comanys create these so called "higher positions" to "promote" guys like kutaragi....that way they dont have to force them into retirement and can get them the hell out of the position there ruining ....but dont confuse it, he defenitly got the boot.

DeathStar
12-01-2006, 12:47 AM
Wanna hear something funny Sony related? I'm up in NC on vacation with my parents (dad works for Sony controlling all of customer relations in the US) he get's a called today about someone who ordered a phone or something from Sony and ended up reciever a box of spaghetti instead. I don't know much about it but apparently a lawsuit is involved :lol:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15940748/

A couple who found a jar of pasta sauce inside a box where a camcorder should have been said Tuesday that Sony Entertainment Inc. is giving them a new camcorder.

The Rittenbergs paid about $1,600 for a camcorder at the Ellisville Best Buy, in suburban St. Louis, last week. They said when they opened the box, they found a jar of Classico pasta sauce, a telephone cord and an electric outlet cover. The items were all positioned in the box where the camera equipment should have been, Melisa Rittenberg said.
:sidelol:

Scatman
12-01-2006, 12:49 AM
i really hope that this starts an upward trend for sony...... hopefully theres enough time to mend relationships with 3rd party companies and get the ps3 back in line. in the end competition is mostly good for us the consumers, so hopefully sony can stay in the game.

FinsNCanes
12-01-2006, 01:10 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15940748/

:sidelol:

That would be it..

Funny because after my dad got done talking to whomever it was his blackberry ended up dying :lol:

He laughed about it though.

Agent51
12-01-2006, 09:48 AM

I think it's a scam, because I read something a few days ago about a couple buying a camcorder from Best Buy and they took it home and opened the box and there was "a jar of spaghetti sauce in there". They actually called Sony to complain, but how is that Sony's fault? I highly doubt someone at the packaging plant is carrying in jars of Ragu to work and putting them in teh boxes and smuggling the camcorders out, it was more likely an employee at Best Buy making the switch, assuming the story is even real.

Predaphin
12-01-2006, 08:38 PM
I just hope Kaz Hirai is the Nick Saban of Sony!

:lol:

Scatman
12-01-2006, 09:11 PM
I just hope Kaz Hirai is the Nick Saban of Sony!

:lol:

lol...... i dont know but somebody better do something good