PDA

View Full Version : Madden '07 Create A Player

Agent51
12-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Worst....Idea....EVER :fire:

What genius thought it would be a good idea to have you do drills to determine your stats? If they didn't want people making 2057239875 players rated 99 then they should have done what they used to and limit the amount of skill points you have and you have to make the guy better by playing him and doing good, but this is a joke. Positions like WR or DB are IMPOSSIBLE to get good scores with. If they made it a tad more forgiving then it would make sense, but in a drill like the WR one, where you get matched up against the best corner in the game and then the QB throws crappy passes or the DB swats em nonstop, you shouldn't get a TWELVE overall rating. I made a few guys and my safety came out to a 38 overall, and 2 WRs came out to a 12, yes TWELVE overall. Why? Because the drills are ******edly impossible for them. I can tear it up with the RBs, they come out anywhere from 78 to 99 (depending on the style of back I make) and QBs are give or take. I made a pocket passer (Brady Quinn) who had a 5.8 (lollol) 40 time and 32 reps on the bench press and completed every single pass in the drill, 9 for TDs, and he turned out an 82, then I made a scrambling QB (Tim Tebow, IDK why, not a Gators fan, I just like the kid) who had a 4.5 40, 28 reps, and completed every pass for 6 TDs but his rating came out to be a 48 :confused:.

It is completely unbalanced and just adds to the list of stupid miscues (what genius decided that not being able to edit players' numbers or equipment was a good idea :shakeno:) that ruined this edition of Madden. The worst part is the current-gen version kept everything normal so it's STILL the better game but the 360s graphics just make the current-gen versions unbearable to play, so you either sacrafice graphics or the ability to do, well pretty much EVERYTHING :fire:.

You basically have to stick to creating linemen or maybe RBs if you want a create a player that's worthwhile. It sucks because I like to creat a bunch of players, both college stars and just myself and friends, and then have the computer draft them or sign them in free agency in my franchises (except for myself, which I make SURE the Dolphins get, lol). Well for one I can't do that because tyhere is no creating players in the offseason, so I started a new franchise and decided to make everyone beforehand and just put them on teams. 98% of them will neevr see playing time since they are rated under 40 overall, including Calvin Johnson (12 overall), Tim Tebow (48), Dwayne Jarret (14), Jason Statham (yes, the Transporter guy, he's awesome so I made him a safety, lol) (38) etc etc. It's just lame. Use the combine stuff for upgrading players and all that, not for creating players (unless its in SS mode, which is fine because ti;s mroe realistic)

Stitches
12-01-2006, 03:10 PM
For college players, I just import draft classes.

I never created players, because that just doesn't seem very realistic. And I never felt a need to edit players.

I think this years madden is one of the funnest ones I have played recently as far as the 'on field' game is concerned. I dunno, I guess that's just me.

Majpain
12-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Same here. I guess you have to be good in drills to have a alright created player. It really was ******ed. They should have set a limited amount of skill points. Its a joke.

TheAnswer385
12-01-2006, 03:50 PM
im not a fan either

Brown42000
12-01-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm assuming you are talking about the 360 version because it isn't like that on Current Gen systems.

illscriptures
12-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Get better at the the drills my recievers always end up at 80 catching and plus. Learn how to shake the ooponent with the highlight stick, it helps tremendously. Practice the 40 yard dash a slow reciever is going to be murdered.

brandon27
12-01-2006, 09:03 PM
in the receiver drill... you can push the RB and call for the pass to make ur QB throw it when you think youre open. quick cuts... are the easiest way to get open... usually in the WR drill i start out immediately to the left... once reaching the middle of the hashmarks, i cut backwards a yard or two, then cut sharply to the right again , on a pattern similar to a slant... youll "confuse" the defender... call for the pass, and take it to paydirt.

the DB drills are brutally tough. i usually get lost with the camera shift when it follows the ball... the RB and OL drills are way too simple.

i kind of like the system... it sbetter than assigning ratings to whatever u want... i like that you have to do at least something to work for it... but i do agree, some position drills are too difficult to get a decent rated player

Agent51
12-02-2006, 09:57 AM
For college players, I just import draft classes.

I never created players, because that just doesn't seem very realistic. And I never felt a need to edit players.

I think this years madden is one of the funnest ones I have played recently as far as the 'on field' game is concerned. I dunno, I guess that's just me.

I always imported players too, I like the realism (I always downloaded the complete NCAA rosters each year). The problem is I prefer Madden on PS2, so I have always gotten NCAA/Madden for PS2. Well this year I did the same, but having my 360 sitting there and seeing just how damn good Madden looked compared to the current-gen stuff was killing me, so I traded it in and got it for 360. Then I absolutely hated the controls and feel of the game in the 360 version, not to mention the features, or lack-there-of, such as player editing and off-season create a player, etc. I never bothered to get NCAA for the 360 too because I already had the complete rosters for the PS2 one and didn't want to do it all over for the 360, so I decided just to create all the good player in Madden, but use the attribute ratings they had in college. Well, come to find out I cannot do that, because you have to do drills to determine your stats instead of assigning points. Some drills (like the WR or DB ones) are overly hard and unforgiving, so Calvin Johnson went from what should be a 95+ to a friggin TWELVE.

Also, as far as editing, I like to be able to do it if say I create myself or a friend and our numbers are already taken. For example, my lifelong sports number has been 21, but Travis Daniels has the number on the Dolphins. Normally I could just edit him and change his number and give myself 21, but no, not in the 360 version, you have to RELEASE him, make the player, then re-sign the guy so he has a different number. I also planned on giving Reggie Bush his #5 since I think it was stupid of the NFL to make such a big deal out of it :D

I'm assuming you are talking about the 360 version because it isn't like that on Current Gen systems.

Yea, I love the way it has always been on PS2, it had everything and the menus, options, create a player, gameplay, controls etc etc were all perfect.

in the receiver drill... you can push the RB and call for the pass to make ur QB throw it when you think youre open. quick cuts... are the easiest way to get open... usually in the WR drill i start out immediately to the left... once reaching the middle of the hashmarks, i cut backwards a yard or two, then cut sharply to the right again , on a pattern similar to a slant... youll "confuse" the defender... call for the pass, and take it to paydirt.

the DB drills are brutally tough. i usually get lost with the camera shift when it follows the ball... the RB and OL drills are way too simple.

i kind of like the system... it sbetter than assigning ratings to whatever u want... i like that you have to do at least something to work for it... but i do agree, some position drills are too difficult to get a decent rated player

I know all about the cutting with the highlight stick and all of that in the WR drills. I like to run on a left slant all the time, then sharply cut right and then sprint for seperation and call for the ball. The problem is, your drill depends on the QB too, and if you are making a guy for a crappy team (or working out for one in SS mode), your drill suffers and it effects you and your catch rating. There have been a few times where I have gotten a good WR. The highest I have gotten is 83, and I had a 79 too, but all the rest have been like 12, 14, 28, 32 etc etc, all because I either go up against a crazy good DB or have a crappy QB throwing to me.

I am awesome at the 40 drill, I always get "in the zone" for the entire run, plus I mastered the timing of the lean. My record is a 4.24, but I regularly finish around 4.37 to 4.41, so my speed is never an issue.

I just think it's completely unbalanced in the ratings. I also don't like how the style player you pick handicaps you. For example, it's pointless to create any player type at any position except "freak" because the rest will just get you crap ratings no matter what, but if you don't have the "freak" style unlocked, you are screwed (I don' even know how these get unlocked, but I have Freak unlocked in RB, linemen, and TE somehow). Like, when I create a "freak" RB, he ends up 99 overall, with stats pretty much maxed. However, you create a power or speed back, and the best you can do it like a 70 something, but its screwy because I actually performed BETTER in the tryouts. I made a power guy and did a 4.46 40, 39 reps, and scored a TD on every carry but 2 in the drill. He came out to a 78 overall. I made a speed guy and he got a 4.24, 30 reps, and scored a TD every carry but 5 in the drill, and he came out to a 72. I made a "freak" back and screwed up pretty much everything, getting a 4.79 in the 40, only 25 reps, and scored only 3 TDs, yet he was a 99 max. That is the kind of unbalanced crap that pisses me off and makes the system stupid. Same with QB, I made a pocket passer and he came out to a 72 overall, I made a scrambling QB and did BETTER in the 40 (got a 4.39 compared to a 5.79) and the bench (33 reps to 29) and in the pass drill I completed every pass with the pocket guy, but only got 3 TDs, with the scrambler I completed every pass except one but I had 8 TDs. The pocket guy was a 72, the scrambler, who had a much BETTER showing, was a TWELVE :shakeno:. It's just a dumb system, go back to the friggin assigning points, or make the drills WAY more balanced and forgiving.

PhinSoldia
12-02-2006, 03:53 PM
i like the idea but the only thing is i dont like the actual realism of the game where t view is of the player created...good idea but but it felt wierd unless you were a QB or a Running back(if your playing for the colts you get frustrated with the checks at the line...playing defense is stupid so i gave up on it after i got a headache

Slappy8800
12-02-2006, 04:06 PM
i love the idea...that way you cant cheat and make ur guy a 99

Agent51
12-03-2006, 02:25 PM
i love the idea...that way you cant cheat and make ur guy a 99

Yeah, but you also can't make a GOOD player unless you make a RB or OL. If they didn't want you to cheat and make all 99s then they could have limited the number of stat points. I like to create college players and use their NCAA stats as their Madden stats. I usually have them named and imported in the PS2 versions, but since I went with the 360 version this time I can't do that (didn't get NCAA for 360, already had it for PS2).

Slappy8800
12-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Yeah, but you also can't make a GOOD player unless you make a RB or OL. If they didn't want you to cheat and make all 99s then they could have limited the number of stat points. I like to create college players and use their NCAA stats as their Madden stats. I usually have them named and imported in the PS2 versions, but since I went with the 360 version this time I can't do that (didn't get NCAA for 360, already had it for PS2).

speak for yourself...i have a QB rated 93 and a WR rated 91....

Agent51
12-04-2006, 11:12 AM
speak for yourself...i have a QB rated 93 and a WR rated 91....

I have no idea how you did that, unless you unlocked the "freak" style for them, because I have made a few QBs, and I have done excellent in the drills with them, and they still come out crappy. The best QB I've managed to make so far (I've been at this for 3 days now trying to get a guy thats worthwhile) has been a 78 overall. That 78 rating came with a 4.33 40 time, 34 bench reps, and every pass completed with all but 2 of them for a TD. I don't have "freak" QB style unlocked (how do you unlock those anyway?) so it seems to handicap me, no matter how good I do in the drills. You can't get much better than those drill number, yet I still only got a 78 overall. I have tested it too. I have "freak" style unlocked for RB, OL, and TE and I have made RBs in each style, including the freak one. Well, I actually did the WORST in the drills when I made the freak style guy (I jumped too early on the 40, totally blew the reps and only got like 24, and scored NO TDs in the RB drill) and he STILL came out to a 97 overall, yet when I made a "balanced" RB and totally destroyed the drills (4.29 40, 36 reps, all but 1 rush was a TD) he came out to a 72 :shakeno:. The ratings or points distribution is totally flawed. You basically aren't going to get a worthwhile guy unless you make a certain style player, which is dumb. Just because a guy is a power back doesn't mean he can't run a good 40, but if you choose power it handicaps your 40, just liek if you choose speed it handicaps your bench press, which just isn't realistic.

darkmistress
12-04-2006, 05:06 PM
you need a decent gamer level to make great players. Took me a while to find that out after several failed attempts at 12 overall QBs... It's always puzzled me why EA has to put restrictions on things. IE player positions: If I want to make my QB a SS then I should damn well be able to. If I want to make my TE the QB then why can't I? I am the coach afterall. :chuckle:

But you're right, I think it's pretty crappy too. And I'll never understand why they took out edit player, fantasy draft etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc... Some genius thought it would be a good idea :rolleyes:

Agent51
12-06-2006, 10:02 AM
you need a decent gamer level to make great players. Took me a while to find that out after several failed attempts at 12 overall QBs... It's always puzzled me why EA has to put restrictions on things. IE player positions: If I want to make my QB a SS then I should damn well be able to. If I want to make my TE the QB then why can't I? I am the coach afterall. :chuckle:

But you're right, I think it's pretty crappy too. And I'll never understand why they took out edit player, fantasy draft etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc... Some genius thought it would be a good idea :rolleyes:

Well I am at gamer level 22 so IDK how much higher I have to go to make a good player, it's ridiculous that I'd even have to get to 20 before I can start making DECENT players, as most people want to create a player right away.

I too always wondered why you couldn't have certain players play certain positions. You're right, any player should be able to play any position. Especially if you have a mobile backup QB, you could throw him out there as a WR if you have injuries. Or like myself, when I create me as a player, I always make myself a HB, but I played HB and S from Pop-Warner football all the way through high school, so I'd like to be able to sub my guy in as a S on defense too when I'm just messing around. They don't even let you sub WRs in as DBs, nevermind any other position.

burger13
12-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Good rant Agent51......these things have bothered me too. Not so much the creating players, because I don't usually do that, but not being able to edit player numbers (love having a DT with #0 and a TE wearing #1!!) and player positions (if you are going to hold me to some made up restrictions that I MUST keep at least 3 Tackles, 3 Guards, 2 Centers, etc....at least let me re-assign players to new positions).

I also hate that there is no 'Substitutions' screen in the the 360 version, which I used to use to get young players on the field in certain formations and I would use to line JT at OLB in the 3-4.

Stitches
12-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Good rant Agent51......these things have bothered me too. Not so much the creating players, because I don't usually do that, but not being able to edit player numbers (love having a DT with #0 and a TE wearing #1!!) and player positions (if you are going to hold me to some made up restrictions that I MUST keep at least 3 Tackles, 3 Guards, 2 Centers, etc....at least let me re-assign players to new positions).

I also hate that there is no 'Substitutions' screen in the the 360 version, which I used to use to get young players on the field in certain formations and I would use to line JT at OLB in the 3-4.

That's not allowed in the NFL by rule though, so not being able to do that shouldn't be a problem.

burger13
12-07-2006, 12:37 AM
That's not allowed in the NFL by rule though, so not being able to do that shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, I guess I worded that badly....it was supposed to be sarcastic.

I have guys on my team whom I drafted from an NCAA draft class export who are wearing #0 and #1. I hate that I can't change it to something realistic. :wink:

But, even if I wanted to do something 'silly' like that, I should be able to. If they would just give the player the options to customize, I could always keep my numbering realistic, and create realistic create-a-players.....while my 10-yr old nephew could make a 99 ovr QB who's 5'1" and weighs 350 lbs with 99 speed, who substitutes at CB in some formations and wears #66.

VanDolPhan
12-07-2006, 01:17 AM
My major complaints:

- The draft. They make this completely ******ed on purpose trying to force you to buy NCAA which I have no interest in. So every bloody time the draft rolls around I have 20-26 first round DE's....amazingly stupid.
-Subs. So much for trying to run the multiple D since you can't do your packages not to mention you basically gotta force a high value on the sub out just so some of your guys can get in for a series if your lucky.

EA definately messed up the current gen in their focus to 'recreate' the engine. So next few years they'll be hyping features in past gen games and suckering people back in.

darkmistress
12-07-2006, 01:48 AM
EA definately messed up the current gen in their focus to 'recreate' the engine. So next few years they'll be hyping features in past gen games and suckering people back in.

I don't mind that just so long as they don't decide to charge people extra just to get what should already be there...

Agent51
12-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Sorry, I guess I worded that badly....it was supposed to be sarcastic.

I have guys on my team whom I drafted from an NCAA draft class export who are wearing #0 and #1. I hate that I can't change it to something realistic. :wink:

But, even if I wanted to do something 'silly' like that, I should be able to. If they would just give the player the options to customize, I could always keep my numbering realistic, and create realistic create-a-players.....while my 10-yr old nephew could make a 99 ovr QB who's 5'1" and weighs 350 lbs with 99 speed, who substitutes at CB in some formations and wears #66.

When I started my Suoerstar mode I made myself as a HB and my number is 21. Well, I got drafted to the Panthers, who already have a #21, so instead of doing the LOGICAL thing, which would be giving me the closest available number to 21, I got #0. I started over, and the same thing happened with the 49ers and the Dolphins. I was pissed, lol.

VanDolPhan
12-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Positions like WR or DB are IMPOSSIBLE to get good scores with. If they made it a tad more forgiving then it would make sense, but in a drill like the WR one, where you get matched up against the best corner in the game and then the QB throws crappy passes or the DB swats em nonstop, you shouldn't get a TWELVE overall rating.

I cracked the WR drill. Run a slant out to the left perfect diagonally. After 5 or 6 steps out (enough time to pull it off before the QB throws the ball) push DOWN on the highlight stick while still holding the left stick in that same diagonal. You'll completely throw the DB off 9 times outta 10 as you make TD after TD on that slant.

I scored 114375 with a 68 rated WR with this trick.

Agent51
12-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I cracked the WR drill. Run a slant out to the left perfect diagonally. After 5 or 6 steps out (enough time to pull it off before the QB throws the ball) push DOWN on the highlight stick while still holding the left stick in that same diagonal. You'll completely throw the DB off 9 times outta 10 as you make TD after TD on that slant.

I scored 114375 with a 68 rated WR with this trick.

Hmmm, I'll have to try that. I usually run a slant left without sprint, then cut right to a right slant and then hit the sprint and call for the ball (or wait til he throws it) and I can get one, maybe 2 TDs that way. Usually the DB warps 10 yards to knock the ball down, even though he was CLEARLY beat :shakeno: :fire:

VanDolPhan
12-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to try that. I usually run a slant left without sprint, then cut right to a right slant and then hit the sprint and call for the ball (or wait til he throws it) and I can get one, maybe 2 TDs that way. Usually the DB warps 10 yards to knock the ball down, even though he was CLEARLY beat :shakeno: :fire:

Just stay slant left and hold that the entire time and then press down on the highlight stick briefly. You'll gain loads of seperation that by the time you catch the ball you'll still have 3-4 yards on him.

Agent51
12-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Just stay slant left and hold that the entire time and then press down on the highlight stick briefly. You'll gain loads of seperation that by the time you catch the ball you'll still have 3-4 yards on him.

This works great! I've also found that if the guy plays off you instead of trying bump and run then when you use the trick to "freeze" him up it doesn't work, as he has position on you, but what DOES work is using the same move but instead of continuing left you slant right after the move. Continuing left won't work because the guy didn't freeze up for you to run past him, he just paused but was still in position between the endzone and you, but if you head right then he becomes out of position :up:

Now we just need to figure out how to crack the DB drill and we're all set. When I "train" my guys before a game and I want to train a DB I just have him do the bench press or 40, because it's IMPOSSIBLE to hold the other guy under 300 points, which is the all-madden requirement and all-madden is 7 stat points, which is really the only one worth going for.