PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Bowl: ND vs. LSU

DonShula84
12-04-2006, 12:49 AM
All the other BCS Bowls have threads so why not this one :D ND opens up 7 point dogs, I thought it might be a little more than that to be honest. Will be a tough game, I definitely didnt want to play LSU but hopefully they under estimate ND as much as everyone else is.

brandon1986
12-04-2006, 12:57 AM
LSU is a good football team, they had some tough breaks, turnovers killed them against florida, but they have a dangerous offense

notre dame needs to watch out, it should be a good game, i like ND but i think LSU wins
24-20

finswin56
12-04-2006, 01:03 AM
This will be tough for me. I like ND, but I have to go with the SEC team.
I hope ND proves me wrong, but I haven't been very impressed with their season this year. I think it's been a lot more Weiss and media than substance.

LSU's defense is every bit as good as the OSU defense ND faced last year. I have trouble seeing this as a close game.

DonShula84
12-04-2006, 01:11 AM
LSU's defense is every bit as good as the OSU defense ND faced last year. I have trouble seeing this as a close game

I know LSU has a great defense, what's the offense like though? I'm asking because I really dont know.

jpcdolphan
12-04-2006, 01:18 AM
I know LSU has a great defense, what's the offense like though? I'm asking because I really dont know.

If Jamarcus Russell is in a rhythm, the sky is the limit. He can throw in the odd bonehead play every now and then but the defense usually steps up in those situations.

Running game is pretty mediocre so, from an offensive standpoint, it's usually Russell or bust. Receivers are very solid. Bowe will catch anything even close to him and Hester (the fullback) is a surprisingly nimble guy catching off the screen.

Hopefully, playing just 70 miles from home (in front of a lot of Tiger faithful) will pump them up. Hopefully, the knowledge that, if not for a silly loss to Auburn, they could very well have had a shot at the title (assuming they could have beaten Florida in the SEC championship) will make them want to take out some frustrations on Notre Dame.

finswin56
12-04-2006, 01:49 AM
If Jamarcus Russell is in a rhythm, the sky is the limit. He can throw in the odd bonehead play every now and then but the defense usually steps up in those situations.

Running game is pretty mediocre so, from an offensive standpoint, it's usually Russell or bust. Receivers are very solid. Bowe will catch anything even close to him and Hester (the fullback) is a surprisingly nimble guy catching off the screen.
Better than I could have summed it up.
Russell is a solid threat throwing deep, but if you can confuse him up front, there are picks to be had. Then again, my perspective (as a Gator fan) is different than most fans. Russell's career numbers vs. UF are so much worse than against everyone else.

Majpain
12-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Still wondering why ND is in a BCS game year after year...

Alex44
12-04-2006, 01:59 AM

I think this is only their 2nd BCS game under this BCS system, I could be wrong though

But I agree they dont deserve it IMO

HysterikiLL
12-04-2006, 02:03 AM
LSU had some close games against lesser opponents. So did ND.

Should be a good battle of offenses. IMO, ND's offense is slightly better than LSU's defense, but that's the battle of the game.

DonShula84
12-04-2006, 02:59 AM

Who should be in over them?

I'll be back to argue why you're wrong in a couple hours

Majpain
12-04-2006, 03:04 AM
Who should be in over them?

I'll be back to argue why you're wrong in a couple hours

I thought you would get tired of them getting beat year after year :tongue::lol:

DonShula84
12-04-2006, 07:40 AM
I thought you would get tired of them getting beat year after year :tongue::lol:

Way to dodge the question.

cnc66
12-04-2006, 08:04 AM
All the other BCS Bowls have threads so why not this one :D ND opens up 7 point dogs, I thought it might be a little more than that to be honest. Will be a tough game, I definitely didnt want to play LSU but hopefully they under estimate ND as much as everyone else is.

yea, I noticed how Meeeeshigan and SCal underestimated you..... :goof:

DonShula84
12-04-2006, 08:16 AM
yea, I noticed how Meeeeshigan and SCal underestimated you..... :goof:

Teams who had trouble with Duke cant talk trash.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-04-2006, 09:21 AM
well LSU should trample ND easily....just hope jamarcus russell has one of those whacky days and turns it over and gives ND good field position, DS84.

Stitches
12-04-2006, 09:35 AM
LSU if they play like they can, will win by a lot more than 7. I'm tempted to actually call and make a bet on this game.

Oboy
12-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Sorry Don, but I really do think ND is overrated. Their offense is great, no denying that. But they have ZERO defense. When they play the top programs with speed they usually get trampled. Really, who have they beaten? Georgia Tech? They are not even rated anymore and a team in the middle of the pack of the SEC (Georgia) beat them.

ND does have a slight chance in this game, but only if Russell has a really bad game. Otherwise I think LSU wins by double digits. (Sorry Don)

DonShula84
12-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Sorry Don, but I really do think ND is overrated. Their offense is great, no denying that. But they have ZERO defense. When they play the top programs with speed they usually get trampled. Really, who have they beaten? Georgia Tech? They are not even rated anymore and a team in the middle of the pack of the SEC (Georgia) beat them.

ND does have a slight chance in this game, but only if Russell has a really bad game. Otherwise I think LSU wins by double digits. (Sorry Don)

Believe me I know on paper this is a horrible matchup for ND. This is probably the one team I really didnt want to play. Corso last night said if he were the Colts he woldnt want to play LSU right now :lol: Hopefully 30 days of LSU being told they'll walk all over ND makes them come into the game like they did against Ole Miss though :D

ChambersWI
12-04-2006, 05:40 PM
can't say I like the domers chances in this game. It should not be close, but LSU sometimes makes the games closer than they should be.

Crowder52
12-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Sure on paper it looks bad for ND. But if Jamarcus Russell has one of his bonehead games, the Irish could easily win.

DonShula84, if you haven't seen Russell play, think Daunte Culpepper. He has games where he is on fire and unstoppable, and then also single-handedly loses games sometimes.

DonShula84
12-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Sure on paper it looks bad for ND. But if Jamarcus Russell has one of his bonehead games, the Irish could easily win.

DonShula84, if you haven't seen Russell play, think Daunte Culpepper. He has games where he is on fire and unstoppable, and then also single-handedly loses games sometimes.

Yeah, the only games I've really seen of Russell he's struggled and they've just held on to win. Guess I need to cross my fingers and hope Russell isnt on the top of his game.

cnc66
12-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Teams who had trouble with Duke cant talk trash.

"I" am not a team...we were talking about YOUR team.... and YOUR comment about teams "under estimating" YOUR team...are we clear now Shu??? :goof:

Oboy
12-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Believe me I know on paper this is a horrible matchup for ND. This is probably the one team I really didnt want to play. Corso last night said if he were the Colts he woldnt want to play LSU right now :lol: Hopefully 30 days of LSU being told they'll walk all over ND makes them come into the game like they did against Ole Miss though :D
I am hoping the same for OSU... :wink:

DonShula84
12-04-2006, 06:26 PM
"I" am not a team...we were talking about YOUR team.... and YOUR comment about teams "under estimating" YOUR team...are we clear now Shu??? :goof:

I didnt say other teams had underestimated us, when I said everyone, I was refering to the media and other fans. I'm hoping the LSU team, underestimates us and takes us lightley and assume it's an easy win like everyone is telling them it will be. :)

FLOUNDER
12-04-2006, 08:13 PM
How on Gods green earth did Notre Dame lose 2 games and still make it to a BCS game??? thats pathetic!

DonShula84
12-04-2006, 08:14 PM
How on Gods green earth did Notre Dame lose 2 games and still make it to a BCS game??? thats pathetic!

I'll ask you the same question that everyone else who has said this crap has dodged. Whose spot did they take that clearly deserved a BCS game over ND? :shakeno: As for them losing 2 games and that some how means you dont deserve a BCS bowl, USC/LSU/Wake Forest all lost two games also...

FLOUNDER
12-04-2006, 08:22 PM
USC beat you guys though...In my opinion they were more deserving than you

Crowder52
12-04-2006, 08:26 PM

Says the West Virginia fan :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Crowder52
12-04-2006, 08:27 PM

Ummm...USC made the BCS this year.

DonShula84
12-04-2006, 08:40 PM

Great point. USC is in a BCS bowl though, and one that pays more than the Sugar Bowl...

Rafiki
12-04-2006, 09:38 PM
My prediction is:

LSU- 38
ND- 21

Notre Dame has shown flashes of greatness, but it seems like their defining moment this season came during the Michigan State game when they came back to win it. If ND could show more composure during big games, they would have a chance--but given their propensity to lose games of this magnitude I'm going to have to side with the Tigers.

FLOUNDER
12-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Says the West Virginia fan :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Thats fine, and in my opinion they didnt deserve to go to a BCS bowl game

But im going to be the one laughing when Ohio State taps that @ss :lol: :lol: and believe me, they will

Crowder52
12-04-2006, 10:31 PM

But im going to be the one laughing when Ohio State taps that @ss :lol: :lol: and believe me, they will

Beat the 4th best team in my state (USF) before you talk trash please. :shakeno:

FLOUNDER
12-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I'll talk crap all i want to. When you guys beat Ohio State is when i'll stop, so you'll be hearing this for a year or two

Crowder52
12-04-2006, 10:50 PM
I would be a little more humble if my team was losing to the likes of USF, but I guess that's just me.

FLOUNDER
12-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Yes. It is just you.

finswin56
12-05-2006, 01:12 AM
I'll talk crap all i want to. When you guys beat Ohio State is when i'll stop, so you'll be hearing this for a year or twoThen go to the depths.

Why do you feel the need to talk about teams you have no affiliation for or even root for?

Sorry dude, but you're acting childish.

DonShula84
12-05-2006, 01:48 AM

You and Maj should team up and avoid direct question together, you're both really good at it.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Beat the 4th best team in my state (USF) before you talk trash please. :shakeno:
USF is the 2nd best team right now. :wink:

Crowder52
12-05-2006, 12:09 PM
USF is the 2nd best team right now. :wink:

You don't really think they could beat UM or FSU?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-05-2006, 12:12 PM
sure they can...they have a great defense and matt grothe is awesome.

Oboy
12-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Then go to the depths.

Why do you feel the need to talk about teams you have no affiliation for or even root for?

Sorry dude, but you're acting childish.
It says he is 17. Thus he is a child. :tongue:

Seriously Flounder, how can you talk trash as a WVU fan? You lost to USF! I think most would agree UF is better than that! :shakeno:

Real_Teal
12-05-2006, 01:18 PM
sure they can...they have a great defense and matt grothe is awesome.

I also think USF is the second best team in the State as well. As much as people like to base the Big East, it has proven to be stronger than the ACC. FSU and Miami as two 6-6 teams really should not be going to bowl games. They are because of conference tie ins and TV ratings only.

Marino2Clayton
12-05-2006, 05:49 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/12/9aa7557711ae9d16a00107dfdb161a65_ch-1.gif

This is the ND/LSU thread not the Fiesta Bowl/WVU/USF thread.

DBoston80
12-05-2006, 06:08 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/kroakes/9aa7557711ae9d16a00107dfdb161a65_ch.gif

This is the ND/LSU thread not the Fiesta Bowl/WVU/USF thread.

:sidelol: ..Classic, my new screensaver!

FLOUNDER
12-05-2006, 06:17 PM
You guys say i talk crap. I gave my opinion. that Florida Wouldnt have a chance. Then you guys start talking about WVU and how they lost to USF. who's the dummy now for bringing up off topic subjects? sure as heck isinst me

Motion
12-08-2006, 01:46 PM
FOXSports Preview

Sugar Bowl
Notre Dame vs. LSU
New Orleans, LA, Louisiana Superdome
January 3, 2007, FOX
BCS vs. BCS
(SEC Champion to play here if available)
For those of you who believed LSU was the SEC's best team at the end of the season, now's your chance to pretend it's true as it goes into the traditional SEC champion's spot to face a Notre Dame team still searching for a big win under Charlie Weis. With two losses to USC, and after getting pantsed by Ohio State in the 2006 Fiesta Bowl and Michigan in South Bend earlier this year, the program has to start justifying all the hype, With a slew of next-level recruits on the way, a win over the Tigers, playing in what might amount to Death Valley, The Indoor Version, would set the tone for what should be a return to even more glory days for the blue and gold. LSU has won six straight since a tough loss at Florida and can finish with its second straight 11-win season under head coach Les Miles.
Quick Breakdown: Can Notre Dame's secondary handle the speed of the LSU receivers? The Irish corners have been roasted all season long by any receiver with a pulse, and now they have to deal with an underrated passing attack that can bomb away when needed. The Irish offensive line has to protect Brady Quinn against one of college football's fiercest pass rushes, while the receiving corps has to deal with the nation's third best pass defense. LSU gave up just nine touchdown passes all season long.
Best Wins: LSU 31-26 over Arkansas, Notre Dame 17-10 over Georgia Tech
What to Expect: Unless Weis and his staff outcoach Miles and his staff by leaps and bounds, this has blowout potential. This is a bad, bad matchup for the Irish having to face a veteran quarterback in JaMarcus Russell, the Tigers having too much athleticism at the skill positions, and the Irish not having enough pass protection to pull off the win. If you liked USC and Michigan's games against the Irish, get ready for round three.
Early Prediction: LSU 38 ... Notre Dame 20

Stitches
12-08-2006, 02:07 PM
FOXSports Preview

Sounds about right to me. Only the Louisville vs Wake game do I like worse(as far as blowout probablility go).