PDA

View Full Version : R. Nelson (S) or P. Willis (LB)

SR 7
12-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Reggie Nelson seems to be a monster! what do you guys think of him?

Problem is, we drafted Allen last year at S.

then theres Willis that i reallly want as well.

I say we lose out hte next 4 games cuz it will do us NO good as clearly confidence for this team and momentum seems to stick around for about 3-4 games before it dies down again and the need for another kick in the butt comes into play.

So we win 4 games...finish strong like last year and result is a low pick and does no good for the netx season.

play ur hearts out the next 4 but give players a shot ala Allen, Hagan, Fonoti etc etc to see what they have and odnt have along with Roth etc etc.

Willis or Nelson...make ur pick.

RUDEbyallMEANS
12-04-2006, 07:15 AM
It's very possible Miami losses the next 4 games. That would more than likely put them in the top 10 draft pick area.

CitizenSnips
12-04-2006, 10:13 AM
It's very possible Miami losses the next 4 games. That would more than likely put them in the top 10 draft pick area.

Nah. Don't expect us to roll over and die. Its not gonna happen. i wouldn't be shocked if we win out now that we're pretty much done. Thats usually our style. Also, theres too much pride out there fighting for us to give up.

Guys like Yeremiah, JT, ZT, and crowder, there gonna fight til its over.

Kdawg954
12-04-2006, 10:42 AM

Yea its possible and if it happens its not because we rolled over . . its because we played 4 good teams and they came out on top.

Kdawg954
12-04-2006, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't mind Willis tho, he seems to be a beast . . . Safety IMO is not a need.

TooDrkPark
12-04-2006, 10:49 AM

I say we lose out hte next 4 games cuz it will do us NO good as clearly confidence for this team and momentum seems to stick around for about 3-4 games before it dies down again and the need for another kick in the butt comes into play.

So we win 4 games...finish strong like last year and result is a low pick and does no good for the netx season.

play ur hearts out the next 4 but give players a shot ala Allen, Hagan, Fonoti etc etc to see what they have and odnt have along with Roth etc etc.

Take Reggie Nelson. This kid is a natural player at any position! Jason Allen was never this talented at Tennessee. He was never a natural tackler...I watched this kid being a Florida and Georgia fan playing against UT. He never impressed me. Reggie on the other hand just is exciting to watch and he makes unbelievable tackles and is very quick....Nelson in the draft hands down!

Aussiefinfan54
12-04-2006, 10:58 AM
i want poluszny to join zach and channing on the LB core that would be immense.

DUB
12-04-2006, 11:10 AM

To be honest, I am no longer concerned with this season, other than see what our young talent can do. Losing out would be the best thing, at this point the higher the pick the better. I got hated on for this theory last year, but look where winning out got us, a mediocre pick and NO momentum, just a bunch of hype.

SR 7
12-04-2006, 12:58 PM
To be honest, I am no longer concerned with this season, other than see what our young talent can do. Losing out would be the best thing, at this point the higher the pick the better. I got hated on for this theory last year, but look where winning out got us, a mediocre pick and NO momentum, just a bunch of hype.

exactly same here. adn im still with it now.

SR 7
12-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Nah. Don't expect us to roll over and die. Its not gonna happen. i wouldn't be shocked if we win out now that we're pretty much done. Thats usually our style. Also, theres too much pride out there fighting for us to give up.

Guys like Yeremiah, JT, ZT, and crowder, there gonna fight til its over.

notice how u named ONLy defensive players and no one on offense? thats the issue wiht this team. its a ****TY TEAM!

after 234324 yrs we still cant get an offense. its pathetic.

Mycheal
12-04-2006, 01:06 PM

How can any truely competitive person suggest that we lose the next four game on purpose. That has to be the saddest statement I have ever read. Do you realize the effect losing as on a team. You show me a team or person that loses or purpose I I'll show you a team or person that will never be worth a d#$%. Either you learn how to be a winner or you will always be a loser. One high draft choice means nothing if you don't know how to win. Just look the Bengals. They had top draft picks for years but until a coach came in and changed the culture as it relates to winning they never did anything.
Guys please don't ever suggest that our team should lose games on purpose. If you have children, I would hope that you wouldn't teach your children to lose on purpose.

Motion
12-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I'd wet my pants if we somehow landed Reggie Nelson :D

Brown42000
12-04-2006, 01:44 PM
We don't need either of those players especially if the Fins sign Lance Briggs during the off-season and we already have plenty of depth in the defensive backfield. They need to draft offensive line or defensive line in the first round. With you saying we should lose the next 4 games for a good draft pick is unbelievable and no real fan would want his team to lose.

SuperBowlin07
12-04-2006, 02:02 PM

No real fan wants his team to lose out.

SuperBowlin07
12-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Take Reggie Nelson. This kid is a natural player at any position! Jason Allen was never this talented at Tennessee. He was never a natural tackler...I watched this kid being a Florida and Georgia fan playing against UT. He never impressed me. Reggie on the other hand just is exciting to watch and he makes unbelievable tackles and is very quick....Nelson in the draft hands down!

As a Tennessee season ticket holder, i don't think i saw Jason Allen miss one tackle during his four years up here. He was always a sure tackler and always around the football, and rarely was he ever challeneged by oppossing quarterbacks. You must have surely been looking at the wrong corner for Tennessee.

sports24/7
12-04-2006, 04:36 PM
I absolutely love Reggie Nelson. This guy is a stud. Unfortunately I don't know that he fits with this team unless they move Allen to corner. With Bell playing as good as he has we just don't have a need at safety and while Allen could be moved to corner I think he is better at safety.

my 2 cents
12-04-2006, 04:43 PM

Depends on where you are picking...there are better players out there than both IMHO. ..

Nelson whom I personally like is a monster...but only when the ball is in the air and hangs...he is the old classic centerfielder...he played CB and did not perform well...he is not a great tackler and has poor breaks on the ball when it is a rope...as most NFL passes are. He does take good angles...I believe like D'qwell Jackson last year...because he does not like contact.

Patrick Willis is strong at the point and playing downhill can be a very good player, however despite his AA he is not a great cover guy and will make some mistakes in the passing game...he does bring the ability to play SAM or Mike IMHO....

Roman529
12-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Here is how we fix things:

1. Willis, LB
2. Mason Crosby, K, Colorado
3. Doug Datish, C, Ohio State
4. Thadd Washington, LB, Colorado

GO BUFFS :wink:

Motion
12-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Depends on where you are picking...there are better players out there than both IMHO. ..

Nelson whom I personally like is a monster...but only when the ball is in the air and hangs...he is the old classic centerfielder...he played CB and did not perform well...he is not a great tackler and has poor breaks on the ball when it is a rope...as most NFL passes are. He does take good angles...I believe like D'qwell Jackson last year...because he does not like contact.

:sidelol: You can't be serious. I seriously wonder if the people that are commenting on some of these players have ever watched them play. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some are just wrong.

I must ask, when did you see him play CB?

my 2 cents
12-04-2006, 05:10 PM
:sidelol: You can't be serious. I seriously wonder if the people that are commenting on some of these players have ever watched them play. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some are just wrong.

I must ask, when did you see him play CB?

Yeah I am serious. You do not have any idea how much football I watch or my background (D2 QB and pitcher)...I am no scout, do not pretend to be and am wrong as much as i am right, but I do know football and watch SEC/ACC more than most. I see you are a Gator fan and that may sway your opinion somewhat. I saw the same things about D'Qwell (that Browns fans are now compaining about)and I see the same things in Reggie Nelson, although I think Nelson has more tools. Nelson loves the big hit when a guy is exposed but will take angles rather than man up (understandable given his stature). I will say that IMHO Reggie Nelson is one of the great ones when the ball is in the air.

Kdawg954
12-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Here is how we fix things:

1. Willis, LB
2. Mason Crosby, K, Colorado
3. Doug Datish, C, Ohio State
4. Thadd Washington, LB, Colorado

GO BUFFS :wink:

Man . . . Kicker in round 2, geez I would rather take my chances on a undrafted guy from this year or past years draft . . . . I'm not for drafting a kicker that high at all. Just so many other guys u can get at that position. Hell I think I would rather be for QB than K at that point, and I dont even think we need a QB in the draft.

Roman529
12-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Man . . . Kicker in round 2, geez I would rather take my chances on a undrafted guy from this year or past years draft . . . . I'm not for drafting a kicker that high at all. Just so many other guys u can get at that position. Hell I think I would rather be for QB than K at that point, and I dont even think we need a QB in the draft.

When you see Crosby kicking 60 yard field goals you will be for drafting a kicker in the 2nd round. :tongue:

MustangFinFan
12-04-2006, 06:46 PM
silly question...but could Willis convert into a Safety??? some safeties are quite big. he'd be a hard hitting safety for sure

Kdawg954
12-04-2006, 06:53 PM
When you see Crosby kicking 60 yard field goals you will be for drafting a kicker in the 2nd round. :tongue:

Hell I remember that kick he had in the OB last year I think (58 yarder :eek: ). . .I know what he is capable of . . . but I still don't fancy drafting a kicker so early, I don't care who he is. If he is there in the third round, maybe . . .MAYBE u gamble, but personally I have always thought of kickers being a 2nd day thing.

SR 7
12-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Hell I remember that kick he had in the OB last year I think (58 yarder :eek: ). . .I know what he is capable of . . . but I still don't fancy drafting a kicker so early, I don't care who he is. If he is there in the third round, maybe . . .MAYBE u gamble, but personally I have always thought of kickers being a 2nd day thing.

very understandable and i think i agree as well but i will be honest, i wont be disapointed if we do draft him that early. if we dont i wont mind it either.

Crowder52
12-04-2006, 08:29 PM

Patrick Willis is strong at the point and playing downhill can be a very good player, however despite his AA he is not a great cover guy and will make some mistakes in the passing game...he does bring the ability to play SAM or Mike IMHO....

This is the single worst piece of analysis I have read since I have been on these boards, and that's saying a lot.

colmax
12-04-2006, 08:41 PM

Is this just something that you have witnessed or have just supposed?? Just because Willis has played MLB does not mean his focus is mainly on stopping the run. Willis is a magnificent coverage LB when called upon. The reason he does not do the job often is because of scheme. I honestly do not think your analysis is valid and am beginning to wonder if you have ever seen the guy play at all. :shakeno:

rob19
12-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Question to all you college fans, What safety's (if any) do you think will be drafted ahead of nelson? I thought landry and micheal huff and possibly merriwheather would be drafted above him, what do you guys think?

Crowder52
12-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Is this just something that you have witnessed or have just supposed?? Just because Willis has played MLB does not mean his focus is mainly on stopping the run. Willis is a magnificent coverage LB when called upon. The reason he does not do the job often is because of scheme. I honestly do not think your analysis is valid and am beginning to wonder if you have ever seen the guy play at all. :shakeno:

The guy apparently hasn't watched a down of SEC football this year. His "analysis" if you can even call it that is a complete joke.

SR 7
12-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Question to all you college fans, What safety's (if any) do you think will be drafted ahead of nelson? I thought landry and micheal huff and possibly merriwheather would be drafted above him, what do you guys think?

Huff plays for the Raider was drafted last year. Landry and Nelson are on the board to be the first S taken. Merriweather i think will be a late 1st to early/mid 2nd.

Crowder52
12-04-2006, 09:10 PM

I'd say Michael Huff will go about a year before Nelson. In my opinion, Nelson is going before Merriwether and it's going to come down to him and Landry for top safety to be picked.

SR 7
12-04-2006, 09:11 PM
The guy apparently hasn't watched a down of SEC football this year. His "analysis" if you can even call it that is a complete joke.

from what i heard/read, Nelson has basically no flaws (SP) in his game and is a great tackler.

rob19
12-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Huff plays for the Raider was drafted last year. Landry and Nelson are on the board to be the first S taken. Merriweather i think will be a late 1st to early/mid 2nd.

:smackhead my bad, lol, I know huff plays for the raiders...im sleepy:goof: . I meant that safety that plays for texas, micheal griffin?

my 2 cents
12-04-2006, 10:04 PM
from what i heard/read, Nelson has basically no flaws (SP) in his game and is a great tackler.

UHHHH wrong....watched 5 UF games and attended Orange Blue game....so you would be incorrect.....and you base your opinion on "what I have heard and read"...hmmmmmm

Geforce
12-04-2006, 10:06 PM
silly question...but could Willis convert into a Safety??? some safeties are quite big. he'd be a hard hitting safety for sure
Willis will not and should not be converted to safety, not unless you want him to lose about 25-30 pounds. He weighs about 240 now and has played both ILB and OLB. His aggressive nature is best suited at LB not safety.

my 2 cents
12-04-2006, 10:06 PM
This is the single worst piece of analysis I have read since I have been on these boards, and that's saying a lot.

Well you are entitled to your opinion Marty Hurney.

finswin56
12-05-2006, 12:57 AM

Patrick Willis is strong at the point and playing downhill can be a very good player, however despite his AA he is not a great cover guy and will make some mistakes in the passing game...he does bring the ability to play SAM or Mike IMHO....I read your post citing your qualifications, but have no idea how you come to this conclusion. Are you talking about avoiding RB's? WR's? WR avoid Nelson. RB's, did you see Reggie Nelson knock FSU's fullback out of the game? There was no angle. It was a 195 lb S knocking a 254 lb FB (who was headed up field) out of the game.

I've seen every game this year, with the exception of the West Carolina game, and I have seen nothing to support your argument. If Reggie Nelson avoids contact, I'd like to know a S you feel doesn't do so.

my 2 cents
12-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I read your post citing your qualifications, but have no idea how you come to this conclusion. Are you talking about avoiding RB's? WR's? WR avoid Nelson. RB's, did you see Reggie Nelson knock FSU's fullback out of the game? There was no angle. It was a 195 lb S knocking a 254 lb FB (who was headed up field) out of the game.

I've seen every game this year, with the exception of the West Carolina game, and I have seen nothing to support your argument. If Reggie Nelson avoids contact, I'd like to know a S you feel doesn't do so.

Time will tell, it's not worth getting in a wad about for you or I....hell I thought Ryan Leaf was better than Peyton...it's just what I see. And to answer your question I did not see the FSU game so I missed that one. To answer your question Safety that seem to me to be much more physical.....Laron Landry, Micheal Griffen,Aaron Rouse, David Overstreet, Brandon Mitchell, Randy Kelly,are some that come to mind. For the record I think Reggie Nelson is a pretty good player, has very good measurables and fantastic playmaker on D in the passing game.

Timmy54
12-05-2006, 11:34 AM
as a gator fan, i would love to get Reggie Nelson, allen could move to CB or the other saftey, but in reality there is no way we should not go offensive line!

Motion
12-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Time will tell, it's not worth getting in a wad about for you or I....hell I thought Ryan Leaf was better than Peyton...it's just what I see. And to answer your question I did not see the FSU game so I missed that one. To answer your question Safety that seem to me to be much more physical.....Laron Landry, Micheal Griffen,Aaron Rouse, David Overstreet, Brandon Mitchell, Randy Kelly,are some that come to mind. For the record I think Reggie Nelson is a pretty good player, has very good measurables and fantastic playmaker on D in the passing game.

May I ask how many Florida games you've watched this year?

Your entitled to your own opinion but from some of the comments you've made it just seems like you haven't seen much of him. He is just as effective in the run game as he is the passing game, ask Darren McFadden. You don't get much more physical than Reggie Nelson. He has outplayed every guy you've listed this year. Landry was definitely one of the, if not the, top safety coming into the season but he has been outshined greatly by Nelson in the SEC this year. Especially when their two teams played head to head. Just my opinion.

my 2 cents
12-05-2006, 12:04 PM
To be fair I did see only 2 games...Missouri (my wife is a MU grad) and LSU and they got some pretty good numbers hung on them both times, so my opinion is probably swayed. I do watch a lot of football. I do not have the advantage of watching every College game as most everyone on here does, I am sure I could be as good of talent guru as everyone else here if i had that advantage. My opinion on a players abilities are based on what I see and I do not see every game so I cannot be as good as all of the others here. A talking monkey can regurgitate whatever Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock says. Maybe Willis was focused on stopping the run and that is why he was playing downhill when I saw him...hell I do not know, and do not claim it as gospel...but what I saw was Chase Daniel and Jamarcus Russel throw mid range routes to the tune of about 250 yards each....It's just what I saw in two games.......he had like 10-12 tackles against MU 10-15 yards downfield and a pass actually hit him in the helmet...against LSU he was in the backfield 3 or 4 times as LSU it seems was running every freakin play, until Russell starting hitting Early Doucet on underneath routes.....so yeah I have seen him play, just probably not enough to an expert like everyone here...

finswin56
12-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Time will tell, it's not worth getting in a wad about for you or I....hell I thought Ryan Leaf was better than Peyton...it's just what I see. And to answer your question I did not see the FSU game so I missed that one. To answer your question Safety that seem to me to be much more physical.....Laron Landry, Micheal Griffen,Aaron Rouse, David Overstreet, Brandon Mitchell, Randy Kelly,are some that come to mind. For the record I think Reggie Nelson is a pretty good player, has very good measurables and fantastic playmaker on D in the passing game.Sorry if I came off as getting into a wad, I'm just very surpised about your evaluation. It seems to come from left field IMO. The last thing I would knock Reggie Nelson on is not wanting to make contact, but I guess we'll have to disagree on that one.

my 2 cents
12-05-2006, 12:17 PM
May I ask how many Florida games you've watched this year?

Your entitled to your own opinion but from some of the comments you've made it just seems like you haven't seen much of him. He is just as effective in the run game as he is the passing game, ask Darren McFadden. You don't get much more physical than Reggie Nelson. He has outplayed every guy you've listed this year. Landry was definitely one of the, if not the, top safety coming into the season but he has been outshined greatly by Nelson in the SEC this year. Especially when their two teams played head to head. Just my opinion.

I watched UCF, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Kentucky (friends kid plays there), and Arkansas. Believe me I do not hate Nelson as a player (he is the best playmaker in CF IMO)...hey it's just my opinion but people percieve a guy as physical because they make a big hit, which Nelson will definetly do. But IMHO while he is a great ballhawk and will give you a highlight hit...he is not a physical safety...I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of his effectivness in the running game...just for grins I looked up his stats and keeping in mind a DB gets credit for a tackle when a pass is completed against him and he tackles the guy...Reggie made a grand total of 32 assisted tackles and 16 solo....or slightly above 4 a game...not exactly what I would call a "factor"....but hey it's just an opinion....respectfully.... you may feel 4 tackles is significant when a team runs what about 60-70 plays on average per game....

my 2 cents
12-05-2006, 12:19 PM
I watched UCF, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Kentucky (friends kid plays there), and Arkansas. Believe me I do not hate Nelson as a player (he is the best playmaker in CF IMO)...hey it's just my opinion but people percieve a guy as physical because they make a big hit, which Nelson will definetly do. But IMHO while he is a great ballhawk and will give you a highlight hit...he is not a physical safety...I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of his effectivness in the running game...just for grins I looked up his stats and keeping in mind a DB gets credit for a tackle when a pass is completed against him and he tackles the guy...Reggie made a grand total of 32 assisted tackles and 16 solo....or slightly above 4 a game...not exactly what I would call a "factor"....but hey it's just an opinion....respectfully.... you may feel 4 tackles is significant when a team runs what about 60-70 plays on average per game....

Not only the stats but whenever I watch Nelson he is like a shark waiting for the ball to hang just a bit and yards off the LOS.....just me...

my 2 cents
12-05-2006, 12:26 PM

That funny...not only are you Karnak, but an NFL scout also....its not an analysis did not claim it to be..if I did then thats my bad...its what I see. since you are all expert on all things and know exactly how many games I watch and how I spend my free time......what NFL team do you work for?.....where did you play....what position?...and can I have next Saturday's lotto numbers?

for the record I watch a ton of CF and record and watch more later....I also played QB and baseball (pitcher) in College, so I know a little about the game....but I am obviously not as qualified as you to have an opinion....

Stitches
12-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Sorry if I came off as getting into a wad, I'm just very surpised about your evaluation. It seems to come from left field IMO. The last thing I would knock Reggie Nelson on is not wanting to make contact, but I guess we'll have to disagree on that one.

See, I have heard Nelson is not at risk for shying away from contact, rather he just needs to be sure he wraps up more often. I mean, he can lay a hit. They call him "the eraser" for a reason. I hope he knocks some buckeyes out in the NC game.

colmax
12-05-2006, 12:36 PM
To be fair I did see only 2 games...Missouri (my wife is a MU grad) and LSU and they got some pretty good numbers hung on them both times, so my opinion is probably swayed. I do watch a lot of football. I do not have the advantage of watching every College game as most everyone on here does, I am sure I could be as good of talent guru as everyone else here if i had that advantage. My opinion on a players abilities are based on what I see and I do not see every game so I cannot be as good as all of the others here. A talking monkey can regurgitate whatever Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock says. Maybe Willis was focused on stopping the run and that is why he was playing downhill when I saw him...hell I do not know, and do not claim it as gospel...but what I saw was Chase Daniel and Jamarcus Russel throw mid range routes to the tune of about 250 yards each....It's just what I saw in two games.......he had like 10-12 tackles against MU 10-15 yards downfield and a pass actually hit him in the helmet...against LSU he was in the backfield 3 or 4 times as LSU it seems was running every freakin play, until Russell starting hitting Early Doucet on underneath routes.....so yeah I have seen him play, just probably not enough to an expert like everyone here...

Remember several years back when Miami ran a straight 4-3 that funneled everything to Zach so he could make tackles? Ray Lewis and Co. ran something similar. Well, think of that defensive scheme sans the talent. Willis is pretty much it when it comes to Ole Miss' D. There are a few bright spots for the future, but Willis will not be there. The guy simply makes play after play. The reason most outside of the SEC fanbase (Particularly, SEC West) have not heard of him is because of the school at which he chose to play. Does that make him any less of a player? He is the BEST LB in the nation right now, inside or out. Even better than Pozluzsny. Not taking anything away from Poz because he is a helluva player, but Willis is just better. Poz is a product of having had plenty of national exposure and being on a good team, IMO. But Willis continually makes plays against the BEST talent in the nation. Yeah, I said it. SEC football is unmatched. We'll see that come into play when Florida whoops up on OSU.

Just in case you missed it, here's THE tackle against one fast player in Darren McFadden of Arkansas. At this point in the game, Ole Miss is pretty much done, but yet, Willis continues to make plays. He had 8 tackles up to this point in the game with time left before the half. Personally, I'd rather have a player that continually wreaks havoc on offenses regardless of score than someone who is possibly a product of a very good team. Willis plays hungry. I LOVE IT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVaa8NWqync

And another link to show his power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bM4sEmaFLQ

Dolfan11
12-05-2006, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't mind taking Nelson as long as Allen can be converted into a CB and start. Nelson and Bell can anchor the saftey positions. If not take Willis and try and grab a DB in the other rounds.

Motion
12-05-2006, 12:50 PM

I don't base my opinions on stats personally. I've watched every game this season and when you have one of the best front 7's in college football its hard to rack up tackle numbers. Especially given the fact that Nelson is usually the safety in coverage and Joiner (the other safety) is used more in the box. I understand you think he is a good player, thats obvious, my only issue is the contact comment because thats just completely untrue.

my 2 cents
12-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Sorry if I came off as getting into a wad, I'm just very surpised about your evaluation. It seems to come from left field IMO. The last thing I would knock Reggie Nelson on is not wanting to make contact, but I guess we'll have to disagree on that one.

No problems here...I probably am a little pissy in my replies because their is a general lack of respect for someone having a differing opinion on here (not you personally by the way). i pologize if I came across as anything other than respectful myself.

I just go by what I see, and that may be the reason that I rarely saw the field in my playing days.....I reserve the right to be way off in what I see...i just do not see every game or view them like a scout would....

my 2 cents
12-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Remember several years back when Miami ran a straight 4-3 that funneled everything to Zach so he could make tackles? Ray Lewis and Co. ran something similar. Well, think of that defensive scheme sans the talent. Willis is pretty much it when it comes to Ole Miss' D. There are a few bright spots for the future, but Willis will not be there. The guy simply makes play after play. The reason most outside of the SEC fanbase (Particularly, SEC West) have not heard of him is because of the school at which he chose to play. Does that make him any less of a player? He is the BEST LB in the nation right now, inside or out. Even better than Pozluzsny. Not taking anything away from Poz because he is a helluva player, but Willis is just better. Poz is a product of having had plenty of national exposure and being on a good team, IMO. But Willis continually makes plays against the BEST talent in the nation. Yeah, I said it. SEC football is unmatched. We'll see that come into play when Florida whoops up on OSU.

Just in case you missed it, here's THE tackle against one fast player in Darren McFadden of Arkansas. At this point in the game, Ole Miss is pretty much done, but yet, Willis continues to make plays. He had 8 tackles up to this point in the game with time left before the half. Personally, I'd rather have a player that continually wreaks havoc on offenses regardless of score than someone who is possibly a product of a very good team. Willis plays hungry. I LOVE IT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVaa8NWqync

And another link to show his power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bM4sEmaFLQ

Thanks for the clips. I reserve the right to be wrong about his abilities in the passing game...somewhere this thread has gotten skewed ... I personally like Willis and Nelson, but most players has a hole and some fit better than others in a scheme. I agree with you also on Willis being better than Poz. But again I do not watch Penn State much..only a couple games. It seemed to me that Poz is lacking some range. He is instinctive but may be limited in the speed department (not sure on his splits and 40). You can always teach a guy coverage technique, you can't teach speed and Willis at least looks quick to me.

my 2 cents
12-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Especially given the fact that Nelson is usually the safety in coverage and Joiner (the other safety) is used more in the box.

Great point...that may be the reason I see what I see...Nelson roaming more than being physical at the line...like I said...I reserve the right to be wrong....

HEDAZHELAS24
12-06-2006, 05:49 PM
why nelson we have two young safetys... resign bell as fast as we can and we will be good back there for years to come... WILLIS is a bad man and so is POZ... OLB is are biggest need and there is far to much talent around the 15th pick.. we should be lucky those two are in the same draft class and we get to pick from the two

musphinzfan
12-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Its gonna be LB or O-line with the 1st pick unless Saban thinks Allen is the real deal at safety then will saban go DB.

Willis id rather have just because LB is weaker then our DB right now and old...Havent seen anything from either uf these 2 players.

King Felix
12-07-2006, 01:09 AM
i'd rather get nelson it would help our secondary alot for the future and maybe his rookie year and also crowder is supposed to move back in the middle, i don't know if pat willis can play olb.

colmax
12-07-2006, 02:14 AM
i'd rather get nelson it would help our secondary alot for the future and maybe his rookie year and also crowder is supposed to move back in the middle, i don't know if pat willis can play olb.

Willis can play it all:

Patrick Willis is the complete package at linebacker. He has the toughness, instincts, and run stopping ability to play inside, but the athleticism, speed, and cover ability to play outside. He is quick to react to the play, and flies to the ball carrier with authority. Willis also shows the ability to play in space and read the quarterback, and the cover ability to stick with backs and tight ends. He is a mature football player, and a team leader.

Link: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/patrick_willis.html

NFL Draft analyst Mike Detillier, who runs the M&D Draft Report, believes Willis will be picked in the middle of the first round in April. He said Willis proved a lot by avoiding injuries this season. He also said Willis improved as an all-around football player, especially in pass coverage. Who can forget the two passes he broke up in the end zone on consecutive plays at Missouri? Or the one he broke up in the fourth quarter at LSU?

Link: http://www.clarionledger.com/misc/blogs/rneiswanger/2006/11/you-cant-get-enough-of-patrick-willis.html