PDA

View Full Version : Forget #2, Who's #1?

Motion
12-04-2006, 05:02 PM
:tongue:

Florida deserves to be the No. 1 team. Ohio State is one of the weakest No. 1 teams in 25 years. Look at who they played. They played one of the softest schedules of any No. 1 team in memory. They had all summer to get ready for Texas. Then they had 11 weeks to get ready for Michigan.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/stories/2006/12/04/1204walden.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

Stitches
12-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Boise State deserves to be number 2. So I won't forget about it. :tongue:

Timmy54
12-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Jim Walden, my voting hero!!! (he has got it right by the way but UF will prove that in Jan.......dont tell OSU they might prepare for us or something).

Timmy54
12-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Boise State deserves to be number 2. So I won't forget about it. :tongue:

come on, play some real top 25 schools and then come talk

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-04-2006, 05:06 PM
:chuckle: my new hero.

Stitches
12-04-2006, 05:07 PM

I never said florida wasn't worthy of number 1. And Boise State isn't completely responsible for thier schedule.

Timmy54
12-04-2006, 05:08 PM
I never said florida wasn't worthy of number 1. And Boise State isn't completely responsible for thier schedule.

actually they do get to schedule their out of conference games, you can not tell me nobody would play them. heck, fly on down to the swamp next season and urban will put a boot in your butt for ya.

Stitches
12-04-2006, 05:13 PM
actually they do get to schedule their out of conference games, you can not tell me nobody would play them. heck, fly on down to the swamp next season and urban will put a boot in your butt for ya.

Actually a team can't just call up another, and say "hey, we're playing you next season." Both sides have to agree to it, and you think a major school like florida(who aready plays in the toughest conference) wants to chance having a loss against a mid-major like Boise State? I mean it's because of people's perception(like yours) that view thier team(BSU's) as being so weak, that a loss to them would seem simply devastating(especially for a team who yearly has NC aspirations). Of course if they did win, I bet you guys would be quick to admit how you lost to a strong football team, and how they played thier hearts out, and blah blah blah.

Timmy54
12-04-2006, 06:12 PM
oh there is no doubt that teams are dodging boise state. but some of that is their fault. On the broadcast last weekend, they said that they were in talks with Oregon or somebody like that and the talks fell apart because the boise state athletic director is determined to play a home and home. He is not going to force a big named school into his house till he proves his school can do it on the road. Marshall was big for a while and still played all their bigger named schools on the road.

Oboy
12-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Actually a team can't just call up another, and say "hey, we're playing you next season." Both sides have to agree to it, and you think a major school like florida(who aready plays in the toughest conference) wants to chance having a loss against a mid-major like Boise State? I mean it's because of people's perception(like yours) that view thier team(BSU's) as being so weak, that a loss to them would seem simply devastating(especially for a team who yearly has NC aspirations). Of course if they did win, I bet you guys would be quick to admit how you lost to a strong football team, and how they played thier hearts out, and blah blah blah.
Honestly, I can say I have been one to say their schedule is weak. The more I think about it, sadly it is bc of the media talk. I don't think I actually saw one game from the WAC this year...

They (WAC teams) did get invited to what 4 bowls? As long as they have a decent showing in those games, it should quiet some criticism (admittedly not all).

DonShula84
12-04-2006, 06:27 PM
I cant wait for OSU fans to see this thread :jt0323:

Motion
12-04-2006, 06:28 PM
I cant wait for OSU fans to see this thread :jt0323:

:chuckle:

Amars
12-04-2006, 06:35 PM
:lol:

finswin56
12-04-2006, 06:37 PM

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/stories/2006/12/04/1204walden.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21
You forgot the second best part

I spent four years coaching at Miami, and if you think I like voting for that damn team to be No. 1, you're crazy. They are the least liked team out there. I can't stand them.

Motion
12-04-2006, 06:40 PM
:( Only 1 star?

DonShula84
12-04-2006, 06:42 PM
:( Only 1 star?

Fixed it for you :wink:

HysterikiLL
12-04-2006, 07:30 PM
A little off topic, but even if Ohio State blows out Florida (which aint happening), Florida will be #1 next season IMO. Y'all have a lot to look up to.

Motion
12-04-2006, 08:04 PM
A little off topic, but even if Ohio State blows out Florida (which aint happening), Florida will be #1 next season IMO. Y'all have a lot to look up to.

:yes:

Next couple years should be very good for the Gators. Hopefully we start another SEC title reign like Spurrier did in the 90's.

jpcdolphan
12-04-2006, 10:16 PM
I'll tell you who I think is #1 at around midnight on January 9. :tongue:

At this point Urban Meyer's momma can cast a vote for Ohio State and Jim Tressel's dog (if he even has one) can put his paw print next to Florida. They'll be facing each other soon enough.

For the record, though, I do think Florida is the better team and will win this one. As an LSU alum, gutting out the SEC counts for a lot to me!

I lot of people are freaking out about Walden's vote but nobody is mentioning that two voters had Florida ranked #5. One had Boise State at #2 and one mega idiot had Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin as #1, #2, and #3 (with Louisville at #4 just to make sure Florida got screwed a little more)!

See it all right here (need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view):

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/news/newsletters/bcsnews/HICFP_Individual_Rankings_Dec_3_2006.pdf

Blade
12-05-2006, 12:24 AM
It is just one man's opinion!

We'll see what OSU can do with 7 weeks to prepare for Florida.

brilon1
12-08-2006, 10:27 PM

Having watched both teams all season I can easily say you are in fanatsy land.Ohio State has NO weaknesses and can play smash mouth football or turn up the heat and score on ANYBODY.
Florida is having a good year,BUT they have not played ANYBODY with the weapons Ohio State has.I am not a fan of either team and am just posting what I have seen all year.

Crowder52
12-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Having watched both teams all season I can easily say you are in fanatsy land.Ohio State has NO weaknesses and can play smash mouth football or turn up the heat and score on ANYBODY.
Florida is having a good year,BUT they have not played ANYBODY with the weapons Ohio State has.I am not a fan of either team and am just posting what I have seen all year.

:koolbang:

Someone's been drinking that Ohio State Kool-Aid.

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 11:16 PM

:sidelol: :sidelol: Tell Michigan and Illinois that...

HysterikiLL
12-09-2006, 12:21 AM

:hmmm: You do realize that I was talking about next year don't you? Next year they'll be without Smith and possibly Ginn. They do have a good running game, but Florida return a boatload of studs and Tebow, Harvin, that stud LB, will sit favorably with the voters come time to rank teams. Ohio State will probably be up there though.

HurriPhin
12-09-2006, 03:32 AM
oihO St is #1 for the simple fact (and difficult task) that they went undefeated. (Yes I know I just opened the door for Boise St, but lets keep it real)Winning every game throughout the season means you have imposed your will on every team you faced. ohiO is deserving of the #1 ranking. Moving Florida to #1 would be injustice to Michigan, Wisconsin, and Louisville, and vise versa. Arguements range from conference stength, to schedule strength and to whatever else the one loss teams can throw up. Truth is, the other teams were losers at one point this season and that cannot be said about oihO St.

TroySmith10
12-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Why don't you do a little research and see, exactly, what Walden knows about winning and talent when it comes to football.....

You Florida fans are really grabbing at anything.... so what if its a geriatric guy who hasn't coached in year, who when he did coach twice as much as he won.....

Nice.

Keep hoping and wishing that your team is gonna look respectable, because you know deep down that you're gonna get embarassed.

TroySmith10
12-09-2006, 11:51 AM
:hmmm: You do realize that I was talking about next year don't you? Next year they'll be without Smith and possibly Ginn. They do have a good running game, but Florida return a boatload of studs and Tebow, Harvin, that stud LB, will sit favorably with the voters come time to rank teams. Ohio State will probably be up there though.

How, exactly, is Tebow a "stud"

He made some plays a few time..... half his stats came against a nobody.

Michigan is the team to beat next year.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-09-2006, 01:12 PM
well, if you actually WATCHED tebow play, you'd see why he's a stud.

TroySmith10
12-09-2006, 01:16 PM
well, if you actually WATCHED tebow play, you'd see why he's a stud.

I like Tebow... I think he's a way better football player than Leak. Tebow, over the next 2 years...IMO.... will be a sweet QB to watch, and give Floridas offense a dangerous weapon.

That said....what has he done yet....what has he shown as far as consistancy and decision making from the QB position...?..He's come in in spot duty, and had a lights out game against a nobody... While I anticipate him being sweet nothing is a guarantee. I'm not labeling

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-09-2006, 01:24 PM
he's done nothing but play well in every single game. and with the toughest schedule in the nation. he hasn't thrown the ball much, but when he has, it was good..

TroySmith10
12-09-2006, 01:31 PM
he's done nothing but play well in every single game. and with the toughest schedule in the nation. he hasn't thrown the ball much, but when he has, it was good..

His running has been great, his passing has been limited.

Being a change of pace is WAY different than being the starting guy.

Nappy Roots
12-09-2006, 02:46 PM

Ohio St beat two #2 teams in the nation and a pretty good penn st team. they had all summer to prepare for Texas? so texas didnt have all summer to prepare for Ohio St? they had 11 weeks to prepare for Michigan, but michigan didnt have 11 weeks to prepare for ohio st? thats a stupid arguement.

MikeO
12-09-2006, 02:57 PM
This guy is doing Florida and the SEC no favor by printing this or making this even a topic to be discussed. Because NOW if Ohio St beats UF by say, 20-30 pts in a blowout or just wins easily in general.

He then kills the SEC's "we play a tough schedule" theory on why they should be rated higher than they are sometimes.

Because a year from now, say we are in the same boat. FOR EXAMPLE... Let's say USC is #1 ...and the 2 teams fighting for the 2nd spot are LSU and Purdue.......people will say, well UF played that tough SEC schedule last year then got killed in the final game. So, why should we rank an SEC team above Purdue who played a lesser schedule when we think Purdue is probably better anyway. Why favor the team with the tougher schedule when that tough schedule means nothing in the end.

This year MOST think Mich is the better team but UF played the tougher schedule so lets reward them. Well, if UF gets destroyed and with this guy not wanting UF being #2 yet #1 based soley on schedule...he hurts that "TOUGH SCHEDULE" theory if UF doesn't win!
That might be confusing to follow, but I think you understand my point.

Crowder52
12-09-2006, 03:07 PM
This guy is doing Florida and the SEC no favor by printing this or making this even a topic to be discussed. Because NOW if Ohio St beats UF by say, 20-30 pts in a blowout or just wins easily in general.

He then kills the SEC's "we play a tough schedule" theory on why they should be rated higher than they are sometimes.

Because a year from now, say we are in the same boat. FOR EXAMPLE... Let's say USC is #1 ...and the 2 teams fighting for the 2nd spot are LSU and Purdue.......people will say, well UF played that tough SEC schedule last year then got killed in the final game. So, why should we rank an SEC team above Purdue who played a lesser schedule when we think Purdue is probably better anyway. Why favor the team with the tougher schedule when that tough schedule means nothing in the end.

This year MOST think Mich is the better team but UF played the tougher schedule so lets reward them. Well, if UF gets destroyed and with this guy not wanting UF being #2 yet #1 based soley on schedule...he hurts that "TOUGH SCHEDULE" theory if UF doesn't win!

While I definitely understand what you are saying, I must disagree with your use of the word "theory" when talking about tough schedules. Looking at the number of top 25 opponents a team has played or their opponent's win pct. is not theory, it is fact.

Marino2Clayton
12-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Anyone that actually thinks that OSU shouldn't be the #1 team in the nation is not a rational person.

Nappy Roots
12-09-2006, 05:27 PM
While I definitely understand what you are saying, I must disagree with your use of the word "theory" when talking about tough schedules. Looking at the number of top 25 opponents a team has played or their opponent's win pct. is not theory, it is fact.

theyve both played 4 top 25 teams.

Crowder52
12-09-2006, 06:09 PM
theyve both played 4 top 25 teams.

I was referring to strength of schedule in general, I didn't mention any specific team. What two teams are you talking about? Because Ohio State played two BCS top 25 teams this year, and Michigan played 3. Florida played 4 of the top 17.

Martel
12-09-2006, 06:18 PM
I hear ya Mike O. I think the SEC has alot riding on this game. For the most part everyone considers them to be the perrenial best conf so if they get spanked, it won't say much for the "tough schedule" argument.

jpcdolphan
12-09-2006, 08:39 PM

I think I understand your premise but none of that seemed to hurt the Big 12 the past few years.

Oklahoma lost it's last game in 2003 but went to the Sugar ahead of USC and promptly got beat by LSU in a much worse defeat than the final score indicated. They were able to start the next season ranked #2 and get into the Orange the next year ahead of an undefeated Auburn and promptly got spanked by USC. The next year Texas started as #2 and stayed that way until they won the title against USC.

So I disagree with your premise that a Florida loss means the voters will hold it against the SEC in the future.

MikeO
12-09-2006, 09:50 PM
I hear ya Mike O. I think the SEC has alot riding on this game. For the most part everyone considers them to be the perrenial best conf so if they get spanked, it won't say much for the "tough schedule" argument.

Exactly!!

Last year the SEC champ Georgia played in Atlanta and lost to Big East team in the Sugar Bowl. This year if Florida loses to Ohio St then the track record of the SEC in these BCS bowls in "recent" memory isn't so hot.

That tough schedule defense will have some chinks in it. Maybe the SEC is filled with a bunch of good teams, (not great) and this notion they are all great and this is some impossible conference....well, maybe it's overrated a little!!

MikeO
12-09-2006, 09:51 PM
So I disagree with your premise that a Florida loss means the voters will hold it against the SEC in the future.

I don't think they will hold it against the SEC.

I just think when people say that the SEC is so tough year after year, people won't just accept that as fact as they do now without thinking about it!!

Crowder52
12-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Exactly!!

Last year the SEC champ Georgia played in Atlanta and lost to Big East team in the Sugar Bowl. This year if Florida loses to Ohio St then the track record of the SEC in these BCS bowls in "recent" memory isn't so hot.

That tough schedule defense will have some chinks in it. Maybe the SEC is filled with a bunch of good teams, (not great) and this notion they are all great and this is some impossible conference....well, maybe it's overrated a little!!

I'll reiterate what I said before. The strength of the SEC is not a theory. They have 5 of the top 17 teams in the BCS top 25, and that's with perennial powers Georgia and Alabama having down years.

The fact is, it is all but impossible to go undefeated in the SEC the way it is built now. Like you said, there are a bunch of good teams. It is much harder to beat a bunch of good teams than it is to beat a few good teams. Even if a team somehow did, they then have the SEC championship game to get through.

Bowl game outcomes have no bearing on this.

djfresh47
12-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Exactly!!

That's how I view the SEC. If USC wins out I don't think anybody complains about USC/OSU but that's cause people have seen USC be an elite team the last few years so they view them as a legitimate contender. The SEC schedule holds merit because if a team runs that and has say 1 loss people can use that and say "they played the toughest schedule in the country and only had one 1 loss." Compared to a team that has 1 loss but is a superior team. Many people myself included believe that the reason that Florida is playing in the championship game is because that Michigain was "out of sight out of mind." People can go either way and formulate a very good arguement either way but if OSU loses to Michigain than I think it's a rematch even if USC would've won out. For as much people hear about the SEC being an amazing conference the best team IMO that is not in a BCS game is Wisconsin.

Crowder52
12-10-2006, 12:54 AM
That's how I view the SEC. If USC wins out I don't think anybody complains about USC/OSU but that's cause people have seen USC be an elite team the last few years so they view them as a legitimate contender. The SEC schedule holds merit because if a team runs that and has say 1 loss people can use that and say "they played the toughest schedule in the country and only had one 1 loss." Compared to a team that has 1 loss but is a superior team. Many people myself included believe that the reason that Florida is playing in the championship game is because that Michigain was "out of sight out of mind." People can go either way and formulate a very good arguement either way but if OSU loses to Michigain than I think it's a rematch even if USC would've won out. For as much people hear about the SEC being an amazing conference the best team IMO that is not in a BCS game is Wisconsin.

What was Wisconsin's best win this year?

DeathStar
12-10-2006, 01:05 AM
What was Wisconsin's best win this year?
bowling green
western illionois
san diego state
indiana
northwestern
minnesota
purdue
illinois
pennstate
iowa
buffalo

WOW, their wins were ****. :lol:

challenging out of conference teams (in bold) :sidelol:

best team not in the BCS...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

btw, i can't even answer your question. :lol:

djfresh47
12-10-2006, 01:17 AM
bowling green
western illionois
san diego state
indiana
northwestern
minnesota
purdue
illinois
pennstate
iowa
buffalo

WOW, their wins were ****. :lol:

challenging out of conference teams (in bold) :sidelol:

best team not in the BCS...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

btw, i can't even answer your question. :lol:

That's the arguement right and as an SEC fan i'm assuming you're going to stick up for your conference but the other team that played in the SEC Championship got ran off the field by a 2 loss USC team. Really how good is the SEC if a team that played in the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP couldn't stay within 30 of USC? I wouldn't categorize Florida's out of conference schedule as difficult though you'll say their in conference schedule was tough. Wisconsin has one loss to possibly the 2nd best team in the country is that really a bad loss?

Crowder52
12-10-2006, 01:43 AM
That's the arguement right and as an SEC fan i'm assuming you're going to stick up for your conference but the other team that played in the SEC Championship got ran off the field by a 2 loss USC team. Really how good is the SEC if a team that played in the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP couldn't stay within 30 of USC? I wouldn't categorize Florida's out of conference schedule as difficult though you'll say their in conference schedule was tough. Wisconsin has one loss to possibly the 2nd best team in the country is that really a bad loss?

It certainly wasn't a bad loss. The question, however, was what was their best win. I notice that you didn't respond to it, probably because the answer is embarassing.

Some facts on the USC - Arkansas game:
1) It was the Arkansas' Offensive coordinator's 1st game at the collegiate level.
2) Mcfadden was hurt, and he is their entire team pretty much.
3) The QB who started that game for Arkansas is now 4th string on their depth chart.

Regardless, it shouldn't be shocking that the best team in the Pac-10 beat the #3 team in the SEC (behind UF and LSU). What about when the #5 team in the SEC (Tennessee) pounded the #2 team in the Pac-10 (Cal)?

djfresh47
12-11-2006, 01:41 AM
It certainly wasn't a bad loss. The question, however, was what was their best win. I notice that you didn't respond to it, probably because the answer is embarassing.

Some facts on the USC - Arkansas game:
1) It was the Arkansas' Offensive coordinator's 1st game at the collegiate level.
2) Mcfadden was hurt, and he is their entire team pretty much.
3) The QB who started that game for Arkansas is now 4th string on their depth chart.

Regardless, it shouldn't be shocking that the best team in the Pac-10 beat the #3 team in the SEC (behind UF and LSU). What about when the #5 team in the SEC (Tennessee) pounded the #2 team in the Pac-10 (Cal)?

I never said the SEC didn't have good teams. I said they don't have teams at the top as good. I don't think it matters who Arkansas has at Qb. The SEC has the most depth and it was a down year for basically every conference IMO aside from the Big 11 and the SEC. To my point that Wisconsin is the best team not in a BCS game every poll shows it along with the BCS. The reason they're not in the BCS is because their is a 2-team limit per conference.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/polls

Crowder52
12-11-2006, 02:06 AM
I never said the SEC didn't have good teams. I said they don't have teams at the top as good. I don't think it matters who Arkansas has at Qb. The SEC has the most depth and it was a down year for basically every conference IMO aside from the Big 11 and the SEC. To my point that Wisconsin is the best team not in a BCS game every poll shows it along with the BCS. The reason they're not in the BCS is because their is a 2-team limit per conference.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/polls

The SEC has the #2 and #4 team in the BCS, not sure how that isn't strong at the top. I'm going to ask one more time...what was Wisconsin's best win?

You claim that they are the best team not in the BCS, and I am asking for one reason to support your claim. Who did they beat to make you think they are so good? I know what the polls say *yawn*, but I want to hear you make a good argument.

djfresh47
12-11-2006, 04:27 PM
The SEC has the #2 and #4 team in the BCS, not sure how that isn't strong at the top. I'm going to ask one more time...what was Wisconsin's best win?

You claim that they are the best team not in the BCS, and I am asking for one reason to support your claim. Who did they beat to make you think they are so good? I know what the polls say *yawn*, but I want to hear you make a good argument.

Penn St. They played a cupcake out of conference schedule but Florida didn't? Florida State had an awful year but that can't be predicted but that doesn't matter. If you disagree that Wisconsin is not the best team not in the BCS tell me somebody? I don't think Florida is close to being as good as Michigain but i'm not really interested in seeing a rematch. What was Notre Dame's best win or Boise St? I couldn't find all the bowl records from the last few years but it's not like the SEC is killing teams in bowl games.

Crowder52
12-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Penn St. They played a cupcake out of conference schedule but Florida didn't? Florida State had an awful year but that can't be predicted but that doesn't matter. If you disagree that Wisconsin is not the best team not in the BCS tell me somebody? I don't think Florida is close to being as good as Michigain but i'm not really interested in seeing a rematch. What was Notre Dame's best win or Boise St? I couldn't find all the bowl records from the last few years but it's not like the SEC is killing teams in bowl games.

Penn State, nice. They aren't even ranked in the BCS top 25.

I'm not debating Wisconsin's schedule vs. UF's, nor do you want me to, as it will get pretty ugly in a hurry. I'm not sure why you brought that up.

Who's more deserving? Certainly Auburn. They beat two of the top 4 BCS teams this year. And bowl games are a terrible way to measure conferences against each other usually. You just don't know who will show up to play and who won't.

Case in point: Auburn. Most would agree that they are a much better team than Nebraska. But I predict them to lose that bowl game. Why? Because they don't care about playing some mediocre team after they were within a game or two from playing for the national title. If they come out unmotivated and get beat, that doesn't make the SEC any worse.

Martel
12-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Top to bottom the SEC is probably the toughest conference this year. It just seems like the SEC fans give no respect to any other conference.

Motion
12-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Top to bottom the SEC is probably the toughest conference this year. It just seems like the SEC fans give no respect to any other conference.
There may be a few who do, but for the most part I don't think thats the case. If anything its them defending the conference because there are so many on here that bash the SEC and expect them to have a top notch OOC schedule to go along with the SEC schedule.

The Big Ten is a very good conference. ACC usually is solid, just having a down year. Pac 10 varies year to year with USC being the only heavyweight usually. Big East is definitely establishing itself.

Of course everyone is gonna defend their team's conference but all bias aside you have to admit the SEC is tough.

Phinz420
12-11-2006, 06:51 PM
There may be a few who do, but for the most part I don't think thats the case. If anything its them defending the conference because there are so many on here that bash the SEC and expect them to have a top notch OOC schedule to go along with the SEC schedule.

The Big Ten is a very good conference. ACC usually is solid, just having a down year. Pac 10 varies year to year with USC being the only heavyweight usually. Big East is definitely establishing itself.

Of course everyone is gonna defend their team's conference but all bias aside you have to admit the SEC is tough.

:yes:

Gamble
12-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Florida can be #1 all they have to do is beat Ohio State.

DeathStar
12-13-2006, 07:52 PM

oh really?

Phinz420
12-14-2006, 01:15 AM

You missed the entire point of this thread. There has been comotion made by some out there who truly believe that Florida does not deserve to play in the National Title game. Namely, Michigan fans and some Big-10 fans. This thread was aimed at silencing that crowd while showing the reality of the situation that Florida actually has a small argument over who deserves to be #1 in the country going into the Nationa Championship. It is not because it matters who is number 1 going in, but that we are truly going to have the best 2 teams in the nation battling it out for the title.

TroySmith10
12-14-2006, 08:24 AM
showing the reality of the situation that Florida actually has a small argument over who deserves to be #1 in the country going into the Nationa Championship.

There is not an argument that can be made that would end in Florida being number 1 in the nation......

Ohio State was #1 in the nation from the outset of the season, has played and defeated the #2 team in the nation twice, once on the road, on the way to going undefeated.....

Some team that backed into the national championship game because of a huge upset in the final week of the season that already lost a game doesn't have a leg to stand on in that conversation.

Phinz420
12-14-2006, 08:43 AM
There is not an argument that can be made that would end in Florida being number 1 in the nation......

Ohio State was #1 in the nation from the outset of the season, has played and defeated the #2 team in the nation twice, once on the road, on the way to going undefeated.....

Some team that backed into the national championship game because of a huge upset in the final week of the season that already lost a game doesn't have a leg to stand on in that conversation.
Once again, nobody would expect the undefeated, media darling team to fall to a team with one loss. But aparently, you chose not to read the article(or even the quote from the OP) on page 1 of this thread. Its for purpose of argument, not litigation.

Ohio State is one of the weakest No. 1 teams in 25 years. Look at who they played. They played one of the softest schedules of any No. 1 team in memory. They had all summer to get ready for Texas. Then they had 11 weeks to get ready for Michigan.
Do you dispute this?

TroySmith10
12-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Once again, nobody would expect the undefeated, media darling team to fall to a team with one loss. But aparently, you chose not to read the article(or even the quote from the OP) on page 1 of this thread. Its for purpose of argument, not litigation.

Do you dispute this?

Absolutely I dispute it.

The guy who said that is a nobody.

Motion
12-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Absolutely I dispute it.

Technically he's a Harris Poll voter, not really a nobody. :D

TroySmith10
12-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Technically he's a Harris Poll voter, not really a nobody. :D

Go check out his accomplsihed college coaching record (its on Wikipedia)

Other brilliant harris poll voters:

Terry Bradshaw, Rocket Ismail, Boomer Esiason, and Lou Holtz

Ohio state/Flroida feeling aside.... the Harris poll is a joke.

Motion
12-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Go check out his accomplsihed college coaching record (its on Wikipedia)

Other brilliant harris poll voters:

Ohio state/Flroida feeling aside.... the Harris poll is a joke.

Oh I agree, but he's not a nobody when he has a say in the rankings.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-14-2006, 10:45 AM
the first three i understand your issue, but lou holtz is perfect for the vote.

Timmy54
12-14-2006, 10:50 AM
actually the rocket has been on college gameday once or twice and has sounded very clear, had his facts together, and wasnt a homer to anyone. He is actually the anti-herbstreit.

Oboy
12-14-2006, 10:51 AM
actually the rocket has been on college gameday once or twice and has sounded very clear, had his facts together, and wasnt a homer to anyone. He is actually the anti-herbstreit.
Now that is good. :sidelol:

TroySmith10
12-14-2006, 11:01 AM

How is Herbstriet a homer.......?

TroySmith10
12-14-2006, 11:02 AM
the first three i understand your issue, but lou holtz is perfect for the vote.

Yeah...except Lou holtz is crazy. And he's an ND homer.

Timmy54
12-14-2006, 11:08 AM
How is Herbstriet a homer.......?

you didnt see him crying that UM should be in the NC. "IF you vote for UF because you dont want to see a rematch then you should have your voting privilages revoked".

Face it, he is as much of a big 10 and OSU homer as Lou is a ND homer.

Stitches
12-14-2006, 11:28 AM
you didnt see him crying that UM should be in the NC. "IF you vote for UF because you dont want to see a rematch then you should have your voting privilages revoked".

Face it, he is as much of a big 10 and OSU homer as Lou is a ND homer.

Herbstreit even lives in a suburb of Columbus. He is a homer. He may try to be objective, but when OSU is involved, he honestly can't be. Just like most every Ohio state fan.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-14-2006, 11:39 AM
herbstreit occasionally picks against OSU just so he doesn't look like a homer, but he clearly is.

DBoston80
12-18-2006, 05:01 PM
herbstreit occasionally picks against OSU just so he doesn't look like a homer, but he clearly is.

Kinda sounds like a no win situation for him....you pick your team, your a homer..you pick against them...your disguising being a homer??

Great logic indeed.

djfresh47
12-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Yeah...except Lou holtz is crazy. And he's an ND homer.

Lou Holtz sounds like his teeth are going to fly our every time I hear him. He's a huge ND homer and is a horrible broadcaster. I disagree with alot of broadcasters but Lou Holtz is giving Shannon Sharpe a run for the guy who sounds the worst. Whenever I do happen to see Holtz on tv I feel like he's making May sound like a genius. A perfect example would be before the USC/Cal game I believe Holtz took Cal and said Cal's punt returner would be the difference. May responded something like they just wouldn't punt him the ball which made Holtz say "they can't go for it everytime on 4th down." Holtz was completely oblivious to the notion of punting the ball out of bounds.

Phinz420
12-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Absolutely I dispute it.

"They played one of the softest schedules of any No. 1 team in memory."

I would love to see this disputed instead of just thrown out the window.

Im sure the reason you are scared to delve into reality here is because you know as well as the rest of us, that the schedule OSU played this year was a crock at best.

TroySmith10
12-19-2006, 10:09 AM

Im sure the reason you are scared to delve into reality here is because you know as well as the rest of us, that the schedule OSU played this year was a crock at best.

Ah yes.... Playing the #2 team three times in a season, including the defending national champions on the road, the #12 team on the road....so easy.

Did you ever think our strength of schedule took a hit because we kicked everyones *** along the way.

But believe what you want....because its a 100% lock that Ohio State is going to beat Florida...badly.

Stitches
12-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Ah yes.... Playing the #2 team three times in a season, including the defending national champions on the road, the #12 team on the road....so easy.

Did you ever think our strength of schedule took a hit because we kicked everyones *** along the way.

But believe what you want....because its a 100% lock that Ohio State is going to beat Florida...badly.

Texas shouldn't have been ranked number 2 at that point, and the way they closed the season, showed what type of team they were. And who's the #12 team? Iowa. Yea, they're not good this year, at all.

DBoston80
12-19-2006, 12:49 PM

:sidelol: :sidelol: ...man some people will hold on and grasp to anything they can no matter how foolish it is!!

If you beat the #2 team 3 times in a season your road was tough...bottom line.

Stitches
12-19-2006, 12:52 PM
:sidelol: :sidelol: ...man some people will hold on and grasp to anything they can no matter how foolish it is!!

If you beat the #2 team 3 times in a season your road was tough...bottom line.

Where are these 3 #2 teams?

(And Texas did not deserve thier #2 rank at all.)

Motion
12-19-2006, 12:54 PM

:yeahthat:

Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

DBoston80
12-19-2006, 04:24 PM

If we win JAN 8th that will be 3 #2 teams we beat.......

By the way the irony is just great how you and Florida fans are claiming a team(Texas) is/was undeserving of the #2 ranking......Classic!!:lol:

Motion
12-19-2006, 04:35 PM
If we win JAN 8th that will be 3 #2 teams we beat.......

By the way the irony is just great how you and Florida fans are claiming a team(Texas) is/was undeserving of the #2 ranking......Classic!!:lol:

Seeing as how the only person that made that comment isn't even a Florida fan and the fact that the way they finished the season there is some credit to that claim is even more classic!! :lol:

DBoston80
12-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Seeing as how the only person that made that comment isn't even a Florida fan and the fact that the way they finished the season there is some credit to that claim is even more classic!! :lol:

Calm down...not every team is better with their backup QB like Florida.....I have a feeling with a healthy Mccoy Texas would only have 2 losses if that.

Motion
12-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Calm down...not every team is better with their backup QB like Florida.....I have a feeling with a healthy Mccoy Texas would only have 2 losses if that.
Calm down? Who's excited?

I just like to comment on your typical blanket statements. :wink:

cnc66
12-19-2006, 04:46 PM

good news is we'll never see him again after the game

Stitches
12-19-2006, 05:13 PM

Ok 2 losses? That's still a team not worthy of being in the top 10 IMO. They didn't even win thier conference. You're trying to tell me another team that couldn't win it's conference AND would have two losses was deserving of the #2 rank in the country?

And backup QB or not, no team that should be ranked so high should be so dependent on the health of a single player. Boise State still won without Ian Johnson, Oklahoma won without Peterson, Michigan won without manningham, Louisville won without Brohm, and WV without White. Those are just a few. As a team, you can't be so dependent on one player, let alone a freshman.

DBoston80
12-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Ok 2 losses? That's still a team not worthy of being in the top 10 IMO. They didn't even win thier conference. You're trying to tell me another team that couldn't win it's conference AND would have two losses was deserving of the #2 rank in the country?

And backup QB or not, no team that should be ranked so high should be so dependent on the health of a single player. Boise State still won without Ian Johnson, Oklahoma won without Peterson, Michigan won without manningham, Louisville won without Brohm, and WV without White. Those are just a few. As a team, you can't be so dependent on one player, let alone a freshman.

They were voted #2 by the same system that has placed Florida #2 today...

Basically YOUR opinion of who shoulda been #2 after 2weeks into the season is irrelevant to me, we've beat 2 #2's and soon to be 3.

DBoston80
12-19-2006, 06:43 PM

Ok tell me what your not comprehending and I'll break it down for you.

Stitches
12-19-2006, 09:49 PM

Basically YOUR opinion of who shoulda been #2 after 2weeks into the season is irrelevant to me, we've beat 2 #2's and soon to be 3.

No one deserves to be #2 at week 2 of the season, that is my point. Texas played a nobody in week one, and it showed in week 2 how good they really were.

Motion
12-19-2006, 11:23 PM

You really know your stuff.

The BCS rankings don't start til week 8.

Motion
12-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Ok tell me what your not comprehending and I'll break it down for you.

:lol: WTF are you talking about?

There is nothing to break down.

Timmy54
12-20-2006, 08:42 AM
You really know your stuff.

The BCS rankings don't start til week 8.

:yeahthat:

zackattack54
12-21-2006, 11:58 PM
#1 team in the nation The Ohio State University
#2 team Michigan

Florida is very lucky to be playing in this game (after USC blowing it). Hopefully it's a good game, but I gotta feeling the buckeyes will pull away at the end and win 30-17.

But that's why they play the game folks, how many of you thought Miami was gonna blow the buckeyes out in '02?

Skeet84
12-22-2006, 12:03 AM
#1 team in the nation The Ohio State University
#2 team Michigan

Florida is very lucky to be playing in this game (after USC blowing it). Hopefully it's a good game, but I gotta feeling the buckeyes will pull away at the end and win 30-17.

But that's why they play the game folks, how many of you thought Miami was gonna blow the buckeyes out in '02?

I still don't see how everyone is so quick to think that the Wolverines are sooo much better than the Gators. Gators have not dominated teams all year, But have played better teams all year.

Boston
01-16-2007, 09:15 PM

eaten your words eh?

Motion
01-16-2007, 09:49 PM
I love this thread :lol:

eaten your words eh?

No, Timmy is a Gators fan.

finswin56
01-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Holy ****! I just saw DBoston's avatar. :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Boston
01-16-2007, 10:09 PM
But he was like BSU doesn't deserve in the top 25. Now he's gonna be eaten his words.

Motion
01-16-2007, 10:20 PM
But he was like BSU doesn't deserve in the top 25. Now he's gonna be eaten his words.

Well yeah thats true.

Boston
01-16-2007, 10:34 PM
whats true?

Motion
01-16-2007, 10:39 PM
whats true?

That he should be eating his words. BSU is clearly a top 10 team.

'Phins & 'Canes
01-16-2007, 10:59 PM
BSU is clearly a top 10 team.
Or Oklahoma just IS NOT.

Funny, we really just don't actually know do we? :D

I mean, 43-42.....Texas falls apart down the stretch after beating OU 28-10.....yada! Who really knows? Boise's opponents this year were 83-82. They're a good team, but top 5? I have doubts, top 10? Maybe, but even there you're saying that only nine or fewer teams can beat Boise State in all of America. I can think of 4-6 in the SEC who can/would/should beat them, even after that Fiesta Bowl. So again, who can say? I know they're better than Hawaii, Oregon State, Nevada, Utah, San Jose State and a bunch of other teams though and they get credit for beating 11-3 OU.....by a point.

Motion
01-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Or Oklahoma just IS NOT.

Funny, we really just don't actually know do we? :D

I mean, 43-42.....Texas falls apart down the stretch after beating OU 28-10.....yada! Who really knows? Boise's opponents this year were 83-82. They're a good team, but top 5? I have doubts, top 10? Maybe, but even there you're saying that only nine or fewer teams can beat Boise State in all of America. I can think of 4-6 in the SEC who can/would/should beat them, even after that Fiesta Bowl. So again, who can say? I know they're better than Hawaii, Nevada, Utah, San Jose State and a bunch of other teams though and get some credit for beating 11-3 OU.....by a point.

Well we know that for sure. :D I fully expected BS to beat OU. It wasn't nearly the upset so many made it out to be IMO. Don't get me wrong it was a GREAT game but I wasn't surprised they won at all.