PDA

View Full Version : D-Wade Names Sports Illustrated Player of the Year!!!

Bumrush
12-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Wooohooo, I couldn't think of someone more deserving than Dwyane Wade.. He keeps piling on the accolades, now if only the team can step it up this year...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/magazine/specials/sportsman/2006/12/04/wade.sportsman/index.html

phinman1
12-04-2006, 08:11 PM
This selection is a complete and utter JOKE! I get SI, and my subscription is running out, and I'm not going to renew it.

Roger Federer is clearly Sportsman of the Year. This guy is an historic athlete, the epitomy of style, class and grace both on and off the court. The things he does on the tennis court are other wordly, and routinely leaves his opponents in slack jawed awe. SI's "Americanism" is an embarassment for this aged old publication. Federer has won 9 slams, and is widely held as the greatest tennis player of all time, and yet he hasn't even been on the cover. Of course, were he American it would be different. All they care about is selling magazines in America, not the substance of their choice.

As for Wade, he's not even the best player in his league, much less the world. Federer dominates the World stage, while Wade flopped at the Championships. Just a hyped American, which is apparently good enough for SI. Perhaps the voters for this award were the refs who continuously put him at the line with those ridiculous phantom calls.

Rocky Raccoon
12-04-2006, 08:28 PM
I love Wade, he is a tremendous talent and a class act which is refreshing to see in the NBA, but I don't think he should have won.

305TillIDie
12-04-2006, 08:38 PM
This selection is a complete and utter JOKE! I get SI, and my subscription is running out, and I'm not going to renew it.

Roger Federer is clearly Sportsman of the Year. This guy is an historic athlete, the epitomy of style, class and grace both on and off the court. The things he does on the tennis court are other wordly, and routinely leaves his opponents in slack jawed awe. SI's "Americanism" is an embarassment for this aged old publication. Federer has won 9 slams, and is widely held as the greatest tennis player of all time, and yet he hasn't even been on the cover. Of course, were he American it would be different. All they care about is selling magazines in America, not the substance of their choice.

As for Wade, he's not even the best player in his league, much less the world. Federer dominates the World stage, while Wade flopped at the Championships. Just a hyped American, which is apparently good enough for SI. Perhaps the voters for this award were the refs who continuously put him at the line with those ridiculous phantom calls.dont hate on Wade..hes a special player in this league and he just won a championship..look what he did for the Miami community and everywhere else...hes like no other on and off the court..dont tell me he doesnt deserve this because thats bs

atleast they gave this award to someone that deserves it and Dwyane Wade is that

Samphin
12-04-2006, 09:30 PM
SI goofed here. I agree with Dan Patrick that Buck O'Neill should have gotten the nod for sportsmen of the year. The way he has put his own ego aside and championed the cause for the negro league players to get into the hall of Fame while never complaining about himself not being in (and rightfully should be), is incredible. He was and still is a true ambassador of the game of Baseball and it is criminal how often he is overlooked for things like this.

Wade is a good player in the NBA, but I can think of about 10 other people who deserve this award before him.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 09:32 PM

As for Wade, he's not even the best player in his league, much less the world. Federer dominates the World stage, while Wade flopped at the Championships. Just a hyped American, which is apparently good enough for SI. Perhaps the voters for this award were the refs who continuously put him at the line with those ridiculous phantom calls.

The fact of the matter is right now wade is the best player in the league right now, hes a star player coming off a championship team. Until LeBron or Kobe gets another title or comes close Wade should be labeled the best.

Also why would they give it to a tennis player? Not alot of people in America follow Tennis, let alone a foregin tennis player.

Now if they wanted to give the award to Peyton Manning Manning, LaDanian Tomlinson, Albert Pujos or someone like that fine. I wouldn't even have complained if it was Kobe or LeBron, but Wade has his own arguments over them as well

phinman1
12-04-2006, 09:37 PM
The fact of the matter is right now wade is the best player in the league right now, hes a star player coming off a championship team. Until LeBron or Kobe gets another title or comes close Wade should be labeled the best.

Also why would they give it to a tennis player? Not alot of people in America follow Tennis, let alone a foregin tennis player.

Now if they wanted to give the award to Peyton Manning Manning, LaDanian Tomlinson, Albert Pujos or someone like that fine. I wouldn't even have complained if it was Kobe or LeBron, but Wade has his own arguments over them as well

Not a lot of American people follow tennis? First off, that's crap, secondly is that your basis for this award? Only Americans should get it? Hey, you fit right in with the people SI is marketing to. Not many people follow cycling either, yet Armstrong won it multiple times I believe.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Not a lot of American people follow tennis? First off, that's crap, secondly is that your basis for this award? Only Americans should get it? Hey, you fit right in with the people SI is marketing to. Not many people follow cycling either, yet Armstrong won it multiple times I believe.

Um Lance Armstrong is American, why should Americans care about Federer? If Armstrong was European he most likely wouldn't have won alot of his awards.

And to say that alot of Americans follw tennis is ridicolous. I don't know of 1 person that follows tennis

phinman1
12-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Um Lance Armstrong is American, why should Americans care about Federer? If Armstrong was European he most likely wouldn't have won alot of his awards.

And to say that alot of Americans follw tennis is ridicolous. I don't know of 1 person that follows tennis

You are basically agreeing with me that SI only rewards Americans, which I think is bogus. To help you along, my point about Armstrong went to you stating nobody cared about tennis, well who cares about cycling?

Oh, so you don't know of one person who follows tennis? That means little to nothing. Hey, I know a lot of NBA fans, and we all hate Wade.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 09:50 PM
You are basically agreeing with me that SI only rewards Americans, which I thing is bogus.

Oh, so you don't know of one person who follows tennis. That means little to nothing. Hey, I know a lot of NBA fans, and we all hate Wade.

Ok well there is a difference. Wade won it in a popular sport. Why give it to a guy in a little known sport.

SI Does only reward Americans, which i like. I dont want to read about some foreign guy that i couldn't care less about

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 09:52 PM
You are basically agreeing with me that SI only rewards Americans, which I think is bogus. To help you along, my point about Armstrong went to you stating nobody cared about tennis, well who cares about cycling?

Oh, so you don't know of one person who follows tennis. That means little to nothing. Hey, I know a lot of NBA fans, and we all hate Wade.

Would you please stop editting your posts after i respond to them?

How hard is it to understand, if Federer was an American he might have won the award. But hes not so get off his dick and go write about how much you hate Wade

phinman1
12-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Would you please stop editting your posts after i respond to them?

How hard is it to understand, if Federer was an American he might have won the award. But hes not so get off his dick and go write about how much you hate Wade

I'll tell you what, I'll stop editing if you learn how to spell. Funny you talk about me getting off Federer, when you slurp Wade 24/7

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 09:57 PM
I'll tell you what, I'll stop editing if you learn how to spell. Funny you talk about me getting off Federer, when you slurp Wade 24/7

Really? its funny because i don't "slurp" Wade. Go find some post where i talk about Wade.

phinman1
12-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Really? its funny because i don't "slurp" Wade. Go find some post where i talk about Wade.

You kidding? The last thing I want to do is read more of your posts. Let's just stop our little conversation, it's going nowhere.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:01 PM
You kidding? The last thing I want to do is read more of your posts. Let's just stop our little conversation, it's going nowhere.

LOL go find me one post where im talking up Wade as the best player in the NBA. I have never said that, i have said that he is top 3 with Bron and Kobe. Just because your basketball team blows, don't gotta hate on Wade

Amars
12-04-2006, 10:02 PM

Wade is not the best player in the league. He wasnt even the best player last year. Also sportsman of the year is not meant to be for popular sport or their athletic ability. But I dont mind him getting this award because of his good play and his contribution to the community.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Wade is not the best player in the league. He wasnt even the best player last year. Also sportsman of the year is not meant to be for popular sport or their athletic ability.

Lets see, can i guess who think is??

Slappy8800
12-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I agree with Federer.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Maybe Sportsman of the year isn't made for it, but i know me and my friends would much rather have it this way. I couldn't care less about tennis

phinman1
12-04-2006, 10:05 PM
LOL go find me one post where im talking up Wade as the best player in the NBA. I have never said that, i have said that he is top 3 with Bron and Kobe. Just because your basketball team blows, don't gotta hate on Wade

Wow, how about reading your first sentence in post number 6. As for my team blowing, here's a newsflash, SO DOES YOURS.

phinman1
12-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Maybe Sportsman of the year isn't made for it, but i know me and my friends would much rather have it this way. I couldn't care less about tennis

Well, Mr. egocentric, the World doesn't really care what you care or don't care about.

Amars
12-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Lets see, can i guess who think is??

Steve Nash was the best player in the league last year.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Wow, how about reading your first sentence in post number 6. As for my team blowing, here's a newsflash, SO DOES YOURS.

Did i not say that i have no problem with Bron or Kobe either? But right now of course if your going to give an award you have to give it to the guy with the championship.

:sidelol: When is the last time your team has won anything in the worst divison in the history sports

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Steve Nash was the best player in the league last year.

So because an MVP panelist selects Nash as the MVP (which just about every person thought was a bogus selection) hes the best player in the league?

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Besides Nash won most VALUEABLE player, not best player

Amars
12-04-2006, 10:11 PM
No because he was the best player of the league last year. If you watch his game he does incredible thing not only going to the hoop but just making his players around him better.. IMO Dwade last year got bailed out by the refs too much with his uncontrollable drive to the hoops.

phinman1
12-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Did i not say that i have no problem with Bron or Kobe either? But right now of course if your going to give an award you have to give it to the guy with the championship.

:sidelol: When is the last time your team has won anything in the worst divison in the history sports

OOOOh, that really hurts me. Especially from someone whose opinions I value less than....less than....well I can't think of anything.

Amars
12-04-2006, 10:13 PM
If you want to compare players stats. Kobe then was the best player last year.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:15 PM
No because he was the best player of the league last year. If you watch his game he does incredible thing not only going to the hoop but just making his players around him better.. IMO Dwade last year got bailed out by the refs too much with his uncontrollable drive to the hoops.

But Bron, Carter, Kobe all the other great players don't get bailed out? That excuse has be overused on this board. They only bring it up on Wade. Wade averaged 10.7 FTA last year. Bron 10.3, AI 11.5, Kobe 10.2

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:15 PM
OOOOh, that really hurts me. Especially from someone whose opinions I value less than....less than....well I can't think of anything.

:sidelol: am i suppose to care what you think??? You already showed that your basketball opinion is worthless. You stated you hate wade which obviously means your opinion toward him is bias

Bumrush
12-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Wade had one of the all time best playoff performances in league history last season. Granted the regular season ball the Heat played was less than stellar, but I think he got the nod because of his ability to WILL the Heat to victory last year. Fouls or no fouls Dallas was a half quarter away from being up 3-0 when Wade just took over the game and the finals. There are very few people, Bron included that can shoulder that type of burden at this stage of their careers.

phinman1
12-04-2006, 10:16 PM
:sidelol: am i suppose to care what you think??? You already showed that your basketball opinion is worthless. You stated you hate wade which obviously means your opinion toward him is bias

is bias?
:sidelol:

Thanks for reminding me who I'm arguing with.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:19 PM
If you want to compare players stats. Kobe then was the best player last year.

Where did Kobe's team go? Wade's stats are compareable. Kobe had better scoring numbers, but he also didn't have as many options. Wade had 3 more assists a game and better defensive numbers

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:20 PM
I don't beleive there is a best player in the NBA, i believe there is a 3 way tie between Bron, Kobe and Wade. However to give one of them the award over wade isn't fair, since wade did bring home the championship. Now if Dallas defeated Wade then i don't think you could give wade the award over them

Amars
12-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Do you honestly think Wade doesnt go to the hoop uncontrollably. Why do think he hits hardwood so much.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Do you honestly think Wade doesnt go to the hoop uncontrollably. Why do think he hits hardwood so much.

Wade does, but to say that AI, Carter, kobe, Bron, etc. don't is ridiculous

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:25 PM

If there is no rule against it why not anyways? All the calls Wade gets aren't BS calls, he is getting slapped and hit while in the air. He has proably the fastest first step in the league which allows him to do that, i wouldn't want him to settle for jump shots just because.

No where am i stating that Wade is better then kobe. I said he is equal

Amars
12-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Where did Kobe's team go? Wade's stats are compareable. Kobe had better scoring numbers, but he also didn't have as many options. Wade had 3 more assists a game and better defensive numbers

just making to the playoff with bunch of journeyman was incredible enough. On the other hand the heats were favored to win it last year.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:27 PM
just making to the playoff with bunch of journeyman was incredible enough. On the other hand the heats were favored to win it last year.

What kobe did was great, although there is justification it was partly his fault they weren't better. Look at them this year, he is distributing the ball, allowing Odom to get more into the game and they are doing better, last year he tried to do to much, imo.

Bumrush
12-04-2006, 10:28 PM

Wade actually hit the floor less last year, he was in full control when the team needed him to step up and win games.

Being the Kobe HOMER and Laker homer that you are, can you HONESTLY say that Shaq was the same factor for Wade that he was with Kobe? Heck Zo outplayed Shaq in game 6 last year and Wade shouldered most of the burden, especially when the team was down 2-0 and minutes away from 3-0.
Guys like Posey and Payton came up with more big plays than Shaq down the stretch.

Amars
12-04-2006, 10:30 PM
If there is no rule against it why not anyways? All the calls Wade gets aren't BS calls, he is getting slapped and hit while in the air. He has proably the fastest first step in the league which allows him to do that, i wouldn't want him to settle for jump shots just because.

No where am i stating that Wade is better then kobe. I said he is equal

I compare it to just the way kobe or even jordan drove the basket they have such great body control in the air to adjust and make the shot instead just going up uncontrollably and throwing it up.

Bumrush
12-04-2006, 10:31 PM

You seem to forget that the Heat finshed a decent 52-30 last year. Many people predicted a NJ upset over Miami in the playoffs, especially after Miami got blown out game 1.

Miami does not have a great team, to tell you the truth they also had a bunch of journeyman, guys like Payton, Posey, Williams, Walker, Zo and Haslem aren't exactly the stuff of legends. Shaq is a shell of his old self, he is a defensive liability and isn't close to being the scoring machine he once was. Yes he opens up the floor, but without Wade this team is a lottery team.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:32 PM
I compare it to just the way kobe or even jordan drove the basket they have such great body control in the air to adjust and make the shot instead just going up uncontrollably and throwing it up.

Its not uncontrollably, how often do you see Wade driving and just throwing up a shot that is not even close to going in? Barely ever. Wade also doesn't force some of the crazy jumpshops that kobe does that usually have no chance what so ever of going in(which he is doing alot less of this year)

Amars
12-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Wade actually hit the floor less last year, he was in full control when the team needed him to step up and win games.

Being the Kobe HOMER and Laker homer that you are, can you HONESTLY say that Shaq was the same factor for Wade that he was with Kobe? Heck Zo outplayed Shaq in game 6 last year and Wade shouldered most of the burden, especially when the team was down 2-0 and minutes away from 3-0.
Guys like Posey and Payton came up with more big plays than Shaq down the stretch.

To be honest kobe could of had freakin Brian Grant play center and still would of won those championships. The freaking East teams in those finals were a joke. But Shaq was great and rightfully so he the MVP.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:38 PM
To be honest kobe could of had freakin Brian Grant play center and still would of won those championships. The freaking East teams in those finals were a joke.

I know your proably being sarcastic and just trying to prove a point, but i highly doubt that. While i dont discount the fact that Kobe COULD have won a championship without shaq, i dont think he would have won one with a lineup of Fisher, Kobe, George, Horry, Grant because his team last year is twice as good as that and he didn't get out of the first round

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:39 PM
If the lakers add a 3rd piece i think they can make a serious push. Now a days with all the good teams its just not possible for 1 superstar and a bunch of average guys to go all the way. You need a 2nd scorer and usually a 3rd.

Bumrush
12-04-2006, 10:41 PM
I know your proably being sarcastic and just trying to prove a point, but i highly doubt that. While i dont discount the fact that Kobe COULD have won a championship without shaq, i dont think he would have won one with a lineup of Fisher, Kobe, George, Horry, Grant because his team last year is twice as good as that and he didn't get out of the first round

Agreed. The Western Conference was brutal during the Laker Championship years, they needed everything they could get out of Kobe/Shaq.
To be fair, the Eastern Conference was pretty weak, I mean Miami had to beat the 42-40 Bulls, the crappy Nets and a weakened and poorly coached Detriot team...

The Laker teams with Kobe and Shaq were dominating. The Heat got lucky towards the end of the year, I mean how often in professional sports do you see a team lose to nearly all of the elite opposition during the year and still win a championship? One word, WADE, and that is why he deserves to be the Sportsman of the Year. He made an average team an NBA champion.

Amars
12-04-2006, 10:42 PM

Well he wouldnt have even made it to the finals first of all with grant because of the competition in the west but the east representative were a joke those years. Anyways I think Dwade deserve the sportsmanship award and was a good choice. But i beg to differ whos the best NBA player in the league.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:44 PM
LOL i thought we were arguing cuz you thought Kobe shoulda been sportsman of the year.

But i think you would agree that Wade, Kobe, and Bron are all about equal, and that there really isn't a overall best player right now.

Slappy8800
12-04-2006, 10:45 PM
federer dominated his sport...there is no question about that...same cant be said about wade....that right there should take him out of contention

Amars
12-04-2006, 10:52 PM
LOL i thought we were arguing cuz you thought Kobe shoulda been sportsman of the year.

But i think you would agree that Wade, Kobe, and Bron are all about equal, and that there really isn't a overall best player right now.

Read post 16. I said I didnt mind Wade getting the award.

UCFinfan86
12-04-2006, 10:57 PM
You said i didn't mind him getting it, i didn't know that meant you thought he should. I also said i didn't mind Kobe or Bron getting the award although i thought Wade woulda been more deserving

phinman1
12-04-2006, 11:55 PM
federer dominated his sport...there is no question about that...same cant be said about wade....that right there should take him out of contention

When I was reading about the selection, I went to reader comments and around 75% agreed the pick was a joke. When I get my issue, I'll put it in the bathroom so that when I run out of toilet paper, at least I'll have the Wade article.

djfresh47
12-05-2006, 01:32 AM
This was a difficult year because I don't think there was a clearcut "player of the year." A great arguement can be made that Wade isn't the best player in his sport. He had an amazing finals but I don't believe that should give him sportsman of the year. It is hard to pinpoint an NBA, NFL, NHL, or MLB guy in the last year so i'm going to go with Vince Young. If people want to give it to Wade based on his finals appearance give it to Young who had the best championship game performance i've scence since Duncan almost going quadruple-double on the nets.

Fresh
12-05-2006, 01:50 AM
The haters are out!

You guys are naming athletes more deserving, who play boring sports.

Tennis? Golf? Ah man, the NBA gets no love.. :lol:

Nonetheless, there isn't a player who did what Wade did at such a high stage in years.

CASE CLOSED.

MikeO
12-05-2006, 02:41 AM
Roger Federer has had the best year of any tennis player EVER!!! Hear that, EVER!!!! Even McEnroe said so and Johnny Mac never gives anyone any credit.

And if you don't want to go Federer, fine. I can still name about 10 other people over Wade.

The kid with autism in Rochester, NY who hit 6 three pointers in a high school game. George Mason as a team. Tony LaRussa!! I would even give it to the horse who won the Derby, then broke its leg and has survived! Tiger Woods!!! The San Francisco writers who exposed the Balco and the grand jury stuff who might go to jail over it!!!!!!! Paul Tagliabue in his final year as NFL Commish and where he has taken that sport and built it up.

Wade had a nice year........but it wasn't anything to warrant Sportsman of the Year by any means.

Bottom line........SI is teamed with CNN on many projects (website being the largest) . CNN is owend by Turner Inc.. Turner owns TNT. TNT has NBA games. Follow the food chain!!!

MikeO
12-05-2006, 02:45 AM
The haters are out!

Nonetheless, there isn't a player who did what Wade did at such a high stage in years.

CASE CLOSED.

It's not "athlete" of the year. It's "Sportsman of the Year".

And what is "boring" or "exciting"............according to the NBA's ratings, the NBA is boring cause nobody watches!! Golf and Poker get higher ratings than the NBA!!

Amars
12-05-2006, 11:45 AM
The haters are out!

CASE CLOSED.

:lol: talk about homerism. I can name 50 players that did better then wade in a NBA finals. Wade lived on the free throw line in the finals no one can deny that.

Vertical Limit
12-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah, so uncontrollably that he averaged 34 points per game in the Finals, which ties for 2nd best in league history.

phinman1
12-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Roger Federer has had the best year of any tennis player EVER!!! Hear that, EVER!!!! Even McEnroe said so and Johnny Mac never gives anyone any credit.

And if you don't want to go Federer, fine. I can still name about 10 other people over Wade.

The kid with autism in Rochester, NY who hit 6 three pointers in a high school game. George Mason as a team. Tony LaRussa!! I would even give it to the horse who won the Derby, then broke its leg and has survived! Tiger Woods!!! The San Francisco writers who exposed the Balco and the grand jury stuff who might go to jail over it!!!!!!! Paul Tagliabue in his final year as NFL Commish and where he has taken that sport and built it up.

Wade had a nice year........but it wasn't anything to warrant Sportsman of the Year by any means.

Bottom line........SI is teamed with CNN on many projects (website being the largest) . CNN is owend by Turner Inc.. Turner owns TNT. TNT has NBA games. Follow the food chain!!!

You got that right. It's all marketing BS. The NBA is trying to shove the LeBron, Wade, and Melo trio down our throats. Trying to recreate the Bird, Magic and MJ days of glory. Well, it ain't gonna work. These three aren't as good or charasmatic as their predecessors, and will never capture the imagination of the casual fan, who the NBA really needs to get back to the glory days. LeBron may crossover, but really outside of their respective cities nobody really cares about Wade or Melo.

Amars
12-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah, so uncontrollably that he averaged 34 points per game in the Finals, which ties for 2nd best in league history.

Living on the free throw line. Did you watch the finals?

Slappy8800
12-05-2006, 01:08 PM

:clap:

Mike13
12-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Somewhere Tom Brady is crying.

Section126
12-05-2006, 05:53 PM

You mean shooting less FT's a game than Dirk?

The haters are out in force!

BTW Bumrush....the Heat's squad was far from "full of journeymen".

When you have a backup center as a defensive force, along with a PG like J-Will, a clutch defensive stopper and 3 pt. assasin in Posey along with a Antoine Walker that all of a sudden had game int he playoffs...then you have a very good team.

Amars
12-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Couldnt be Dwade discussion without the biggest heats homer.

Less Free Throw Attempt then Dirk in the finals :lol: ya right.

Dirk highest FTA in the finals was 13. I think 9-12 FTA/game is the average in the NBA.

DWADE had games of 21 and 25 FTA in the finals. That is insane. Only person who should get that many attempts is Shaq when they did hack a shaq.

DeathStar
12-05-2006, 06:38 PM
hello haters.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-05-2006, 06:59 PM

Amen MikeO!

Vertical Limit
12-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Same could have been said about Michael Jordan. What's his response to that? Oh that's right, "So?".

Big fricken deal. Dwyane Wade, 16 FTA per game in the NBA Finals, is expected.

He had the ball on his hands for more than 70% of the plays in each game against the Mavericks. He is also one of the most physical guards in this league; draws up tons of contact either with the pump fake or on the paint. Wade explodes through holes on the court like a running back.

Either get out of his way or you will send him on the foul line. Case closed.

DeathStar
12-06-2006, 12:05 AM
dont waste your effort limit with these haters. im done in here.

UCFinfan86
12-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Hey man nobody mad here. That fact is we can come here and voice our opinion whether you like or not. You must be some kinda of communist to think we cant. The only one that seems mad and emotional is you. If you think Im a heats hater go right ahead but Ive never said I hate the heats. The only thing I said is shaq is over the hill but still effective and that dwade is good top 3 guard in the league but hes not greatness. If that makes me a HEATS haters then I guess I am. Greatness doesnt happen in 3 season. Jordan is Greatness constantly double team in the playoffs and finals, Shaq is Greatness for the same reason. Both Unstopable even when double and proved it time and time again. I wouldnt even call Kobe greatness but he has the talent to get there. You take away those double team on shaq and you have a different results in the finals. Even though shaq is not the shaq of old he still require a double team especially in the playoffs because of his greatness.

Your opinion of greatness just differs from others, you save the word for truly greats, which probably it should be, as alot of times words such a best ever and such get thrown around to loosely.

Amars
12-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Your opinion of greatness just differs from others, you save the word for truly greats, which probably it should be, as alot of times words such a best ever and such get thrown around to loosely.

I guess. Jordan is just the greatest of greats then.

MikeO
12-06-2006, 02:46 AM
One theory starting to come out is that the ONLY reason Wade was picked was because he can show up for BOTH SI ceremonies that come with winning the award. Because SI needs to keep the sponsors happy and so on and so forth.

The guy who made the pick was interviewed today on a NYC radio station.

http://wfan.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=180799

Listen to it there. The guy from SI comes off like very bad. So bad that at one point he gets upset of the spelling of his own name on the TV show (simulcast TV/radio). Only to find out that they got the spelling of his name from his website and his own website has his own name spelled wrong.

He tries about 10 defenses for the pick, they all fail and are shot down!!!

phinman1
12-06-2006, 11:04 AM
One theory starting to come out is that the ONLY reason Wade was picked was because he can show up for BOTH SI ceremonies that come with winning the award. Because SI needs to keep the sponsors happy and so on and so forth.

The guy who made the pick was interviewed today on a NYC radio station.

http://wfan.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=180799

Listen to it there. The guy from SI comes off like very bad. So bad that at one point he gets upset of the spelling of his own name on the TV show (simulcast TV/radio). Only to find out that they got the spelling of his name from his website and his own website has his own name spelled wrong.

He tries about 10 defenses for the pick, they all fail and are shot down!!!

Nice find. The SI guy is a moron, and now I see clearly why the moronic Wade pick was made.

SpurzN703
12-06-2006, 12:03 PM

Uh, isnt Pujols a foreigner as well?

SpurzN703

We'll see what Wade can do without Shaq. So far, not so good

Section126
Nice find. The SI guy is a moron, and now I see clearly why the moronic Wade pick was made.

Oh yeah..because they needed to pick a tennis player that 90% of the world has never seen play.

Or how bout a guy that plays golf better than everybody else?

Give me a break.

Had Ronaldinho won the WC with Brazil and he had a big part...that would have made sense as well.

Instead of hating...give an alternative.

SpurzN703
12-06-2006, 12:05 PM

You a Heat fan?

Section126
12-06-2006, 12:08 PM
We'll see what Wade can do without Shaq. So far, not so good

Without J-Will, James Posey, and others for most of the year as well.

SpurzN703
12-06-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't beleive there is a best player in the NBA, i believe there is a 3 way tie between Bron, Kobe and Wade. However to give one of them the award over wade isn't fair, since wade did bring home the championship. Now if Dallas defeated Wade then i don't think you could give wade the award over them

IMO there's no such thing as a best player in the NBA b/c LeBron, Wade, Kobe, whoever, still needs the help of their teammates to score, assist, and rebound. It's a team sport

As far as MVP, guys CAN be more valuable then others, like the 3 I mentioned above.

MikeO
12-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Oh yeah..because they needed to pick a tennis player that 90% of the world has never seen play.

Give me a break.

Had Ronaldinho won the WC with Brazil and he had a big part...that would have made sense as well.

I would have given it to the kid from Rochester, NY with autism who hit 6 THREE POINTERS in a high school game. That is the real athlete of the year. They are making a movie about that and it will be released nationally next year in theaters! What he did is what "sports" is all about!! That is overcoming the odds!!!

If not him then George Mason for their final 4 run.

Although if your going for ON THE COURT play, then Federer is the man. In something like 17 what you would call major tournaments he was in the Finals of 16 of them. Won 11. Won 3 of the 4 Grand Slams. It's the greatest single season any tennis player has ever had.

They have given the award in the past to Chris Everert and Billy Jean King and those 2 didn't come close to the year Federerr had.

The award is BS anyway. In 1957 they gave it to Stan Musial when in that same year Ted Williams hit .388 at the age of 40! And they gave it to 2 Track and Field people in "NON-Olympic years" which makes no friggin sesne. They didn't even give it to HANK AARON when he broke Ruth's home run record. Or even Roger Maris the year he hit 61.

phinman1
12-06-2006, 01:48 PM

Give me a break.

Oh, and the world gives a crap about Wade? Please. Hell, Iverson is twice as big as Wade is overseas. Nobody cares about him outside of Miami. Rest assured if Federer was American, he would have won, which says it all.

MikeO alluded to it earlier. Time Warner owns SI and TNT. Of course, TNT shows the NBA and the ratings aren't great, this cover is the latest sad attempt at "synergy". It's not about substance, it's about marketing.

As for an alternative, I gave one--Federer. I could list other more deserving athletes then Wade, but I don't want to overload the server.

SpurzN703
12-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Without J-Will, James Posey, and others for most of the year as well.

True, but these guys arent that great. Miami was the best team in the NBA last year and I loved them beating the Mavs (who I hate).

But the Eastern Conference stinks. Miami will be back in no time.

Sportsman of the year though, I don't think Wade deserves it. As for who does, it's a losing arguement. We'll all make good points about several folks and it'll never end.

dreday
12-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Wade is a good basketball player...BUT sportsman of the year?Ehhh.Thats stretchin it a lil bit.Hes a good player in the NBA,and yes the Heat won the title last year,but all sports should be accounted for when a winner is decided.Hey I love basketball as much as the next man,but just because I dont watch tennis as much,or golf these sports shouldnt be overlooked.Hell Tiger Woods couldve won this award.

Slappy8800
12-06-2006, 03:18 PM

Give me a break.

funny i wasnt aware that sportsman of the year was a popularity contest....

GreenMonster
12-06-2006, 03:26 PM
I would have given it to the kid from Rochester, NY with autism who hit 6 THREE POINTERS in a high school game. That is the real athlete of the year. They are making a movie about that and it will be released nationally next year in theaters! What he did is what "sports" is all about!! That is overcoming the odds!!!

If not him then George Mason for their final 4 run.

Although if your going for ON THE COURT play, then Federer is the man. In something like 17 what you would call major tournaments he was in the Finals of 16 of them. Won 11. Won 3 of the 4 Grand Slams. It's the greatest single season any tennis player has ever had.

They have given the award in the past to Chris Everert and Billy Jean King and those 2 didn't come close to the year Federerr had.

The award is BS anyway. In 1957 they gave it to Stan Musial when in that same year Ted Williams hit .388 at the age of 40! And they gave it to 2 Track and Field people in "NON-Olympic years" which makes no friggin sesne. They didn't even give it to HANK AARON when he broke Ruth's home run record. Or even Roger Maris the year he hit 61.

Best MikeO post ever..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-818944862742874918&q=jason+autism&hl=en

dob72
12-06-2006, 04:12 PM
good for wade nobody desevered it more

Fresh
12-06-2006, 11:02 PM
I understand the warning with this elementry school warning system..

but why the hell was my entire post deleted?

& lol @ "level 4" - what was so level 4 about that? I didn't even single anyone out.

So if a member says that he/she wants to jump off a bridge and someone says.. "if anyone (this goes out to all) wants to jump off a bridge, then they are an idiot" - that's against the TOS? Seriously, we'll grow up when the rules do. :rolleyes2

MikeO
12-07-2006, 02:05 AM
Best MikeO post ever..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-818944862742874918&q=jason+autism&hl=en

Thank you!

Mike13
12-07-2006, 02:07 AM
The thing is that the mentally chalnged kid who scored all those 3s isn't as famous as a D Wade.

Its a great story though.

King Felix
12-07-2006, 02:08 AM
The thing is that the mentally chalnged kid who scored all those 3s isn't as famous as a D Wade.

Its a great story though.it's not a popularity contest is it?

MikeO
12-07-2006, 02:33 AM

Its a great story though.

you don't understand the award.

It's no "athlete" of the year. Or "player" of the year.

SpurzN703
12-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I understand the warning with this elementry school warning system..

but why the hell was my entire post deleted?

& lol @ "level 4" - what was so level 4 about that? I didn't even single anyone out.

So if a member says that he/she wants to jump off a bridge and someone says.. "if anyone (this goes out to all) wants to jump off a bridge, then they are an idiot" - that's against the TOS? Seriously, we'll grow up when the rules do. :rolleyes2

i called someone an idiot and i'm at 40%. No longer a TOS virgin :wink:

Section126
12-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Oh, and the world gives a crap about Wade? Please. Hell, Iverson is twice as big as Wade is overseas. Nobody cares about him outside of Miami. Rest assured if Federer was American, he would have won, which says it all.

MikeO alluded to it earlier. Time Warner owns SI and TNT. Of course, TNT shows the NBA and the ratings aren't great, this cover is the latest sad attempt at "synergy". It's not about substance, it's about marketing.

As for an alternative, I gave one--Federer. I could list other more deserving athletes then Wade, but I don't want to overload the server.

Your hate for Wade is clouding your judgement.

"Nobody cares about wade outside of miami."

Really? rethink that statement.

Fresh
12-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Nobody outside of Miami cares about Wade?

Wow, shows how clueless you are about basketball fans..

Wade's jersey was the top selling last year, and that's surely not just a "Miami" thing. In fact, if you go to the Triple-A, you'll see almost or maybe even just as many Shaq jerseys as Wade. :rolleyes2

Without question, the NBA's most popular players right now are LeBron & Wade.

Amars
12-07-2006, 09:13 PM

Wade's jersey was the top selling last year, and that's surely not just a "Miami" thing. In fact, if you go to the Triple-A, you'll see almost or maybe even just as many Shaq jerseys as Wade. :rolleyes2

Maybe its because it was only his 3rd year in the league and nobody has his jersey. I tend to also believe that all of sudden alot of people are Heats fan in miami because of the championship, kinda like what happen here in LA when the Angels won the WS or the PATS won the Superbowl. All of sudden I see Angels Vlad Guerrero jersey and Pats- Brady jersey everywhere. I NEVER saw those TEAM jersey anywhere before the championship. It just the Herd Theory in full affect, going with the flavor of the month/year.

phinman1
12-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Maybe its because it was only his 3rd year in the league and nobody has his jersey. I tend to also believe that all of sudden alot of people are Heats fan in miami because of the championship, kinda like what happen here in LA when the Angels won the WS or the PATS won the Superbowl. All of sudden I see Angels Vlad Guerrero jersey and Pats- Brady jersey everywhere. I NEVER saw those TEAM jersey anywhere before the championship. It just the Herd Theory in full affect, going with the flavor of the month/year.

That's right. Sure there have been a run on Wade jerseys, between the Finals and the NBA cramming him down everyone's throat, he's gonna sell some. But when totaled, I dare say his jerseys are outnumbered by LeBron's, A.I.'s, Kobe's, Garnetts, Shaqs, Duncans etc.

aquaattak
12-07-2006, 10:09 PM
That's right. Sure there have been a run on Wade jerseys, between the Finals and the NBA cramming him down everyone's throat, he's gonna sell some. But when totaled, I dare say his jerseys are outnumbered by LeBron's, A.I.'s, Kobe's, Garnetts, Shaqs, Duncans etc.

Hate to break your bubble but i believe those jersey totals came out BEFORE the finals....
http://www.nba.com/news/jerseys_051215.html

NewEra8
12-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Hate to break your bubble but i believe those jersey totals came out BEFORE the finals....

With that avatar I dont think I can listen to a word you say :lol:

aquaattak
12-07-2006, 10:20 PM
With that avatar I dont think I can listen to a word you say :lol:

Why is that?:confused:

phinman1
12-07-2006, 10:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/jerseys_051215.html

You didn't burst my bubble, although you did miss my point. Wade is a relatively new player, therefore his jerseys haven't been on the market as long. When he achieves success, of course a run will be made because nobody had his jersey. Blue based Wade's relative popularity on recent sales figures, which is, of course misleading. Do you think there are more people with A.I. or Wade Jerseys in the country? How about Kobe vs. Wade? Everybody who wanted a Kobe or A.I. Jersey bought one a long time ago.

aquaattak
12-07-2006, 10:50 PM
You didn't burst my bubble, although you did miss my point. Wade is a relatively new player, therefore his jerseys haven't been on the market as long. When he achieves success, of course a run will be made because nobody had his jersey. Blue based Wade's relative popularity on recent sales figures, which is, of course misleading. Do you think there are more people with A.I. or Wade Jerseys in the country? How about Kobe vs. Wade? Everybody who wanted a Kobe or A.I. Jersey bought one a long time ago.

ok I'll give you the time AI and Kobe have been around to possibly "outnumber" Wades' sales. THat is common sense. But what about your mention of Lebron....I think, last i checked, he was drafted the same year as DWade.

Maybe i just missed your point?

Amars
12-07-2006, 11:05 PM
I think Lebron have sold more then Wade alltime. Wade wasnt even in the top 25 in 2004 and Lebron was #1. And now lebron #3 in 05-06.

http://www.insidehoops.com/jerseys-popular-041104.shtml

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/nba_jersey_release_051215.html

UCFinfan86
12-08-2006, 12:05 AM
You guys are missing the original point of the jersey debate. He might not be #1 overall, but that still doesn't mean he isn't cared about outside of Miami

DeathStar
12-08-2006, 12:20 AM
wade was number 1 jersey for last season.

Slappy8800
12-08-2006, 12:21 AM
who cares if hes caredabout....its not a popularity contest....its sportsman of the year

Bumrush
12-08-2006, 12:54 AM

Hate to burst your bubble but you make no sense. Do you think people still purchased Marino jerseys after his rookie year? Did people purchase Jordan jerseys after his first few years? You logic is off, the more popular the player is the more jerseys people purchase and CONTINUE to purchase.

Amars
12-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but you make no sense. Do you think people still purchased Marino jerseys after his rookie year? Did people purchase Jordan jerseys after his first few years? You logic is off, the more popular the player is the more jerseys people purchase and CONTINUE to purchase.

I dont think you understood what he was saying. He talking about right now not the future.

phinman1
12-08-2006, 10:53 AM

What? Read my post again and see if you get it this time.

Section126
12-08-2006, 11:14 AM

Your statement of "Nobody cares about Wade outside of miami." is STILL asinine.

No matter what jersey debate you concoct.

Bumrush
12-08-2006, 07:02 PM

Wade had the top selling jersey WAY BEFORE he won a championship, which indicates to me that he has consistently gained popularity over the course of several years. Add the championship and MVP performance and that popularity grows. If he keeps up the pace his Jersey sales will continue to explode, people always want the latest jersey and a ton of new people become NBA fans each year.

You can't compare him to Kobe because Kobe was in the top 5 in sales EVERY year untill his ego and pretty boy image was tarnished by the rape allegations.

Amars
12-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Wade had the top selling jersey WAY BEFORE he won a championship, which indicates to me that he has consistently gained popularity over the course of several years. Add the championship and MVP performance and that popularity grows. If he keeps up the pace his Jersey sales will continue to explode, people always want the latest jersey and a ton of new people become NBA fans each year.

You can't compare him to Kobe because Kobe was in the top 5 in sales EVERY year untill his ego and pretty boy image was tarnished by the rape allegations.

Man you really dont read prior post and just post with no facts what so ever. Wade was not even top 25 in 2004 and Lebron was #1. In 2005 he wasnt even in the top 10 while lebron was in the top 5. Wade is #1 in 06 because of the heats run to the championship. I doubt the heats repeat have you seen them play this year. Also BTW Kobe is in top 5 even after the allegation and I think he might be top 3 in sales this year.

04 (http://www.insidehoops.com/jerseys-popular-041104.shtml)

05 (http://www.nba.com/news/jerseys_041209.html)

06 (http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/nba_j...se_051215.html)

Bumrush
12-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Man you really dont read prior post and just post with no facts what so ever. Wade was not even top 25 in 2004 and Lebron was #1. In 2005 he wasnt even in the top 10 while lebron was in the top 5. Wade is #1 in 06 because of the heats run to the championship. I doubt the heats repeat have you seen them play this year. Also BTW Kobe is in top 5 even after the allegation and I think he might be top 3 in sales this year.

04 (http://www.insidehoops.com/jerseys-popular-041104.shtml)

05 (http://www.nba.com/news/jerseys_041209.html)

06 (http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/nba_j...se_051215.html)

Those numbers prove that "new" players in this league don't get a temporary boost in sales which then decline. Shaq has been in this league a very long time and is still consistently in the top 5.. How about TMAC? So Wade was number one 06 and got a lot more exposure with the Finals.. How much do you want to bet Wade stays in the top 5 for the next 10 years? The original poster claims that Wade got that status because of a temporary boost because nobody had his jersey. If that is the case for every player in the league why are guys like TMAC, Duncan, Shaq and others still up there year after year? BTW, when Kobe was accused of rape his jersey sales dipped big time, the media made a huge deal about it..

Amars
12-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Did you see lebron in 04 he's #1. You do know that lebron , carmelo ( who was #2 in 04) and wade came into the league in the same year. Kobe drop to 7 during the accusation WOW a big drop. Wade status was because of his play and championship last year and rightfully so he's good. Let see happen when the heats struggle and see where he lands. As for TMAC I dont know why you brought him up in the conversation because that proves nothing. I have about 20 players I will take before TMAC.

Fresh
12-09-2006, 12:08 AM
I think Lebron have sold more then Wade alltime. Wade wasnt even in the top 25 in 2004 and Lebron was #1. And now lebron #3 in 05-06.

http://www.insidehoops.com/jerseys-popular-041104.shtml

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/nba_jersey_release_051215.html

Uh, of course.. LeBron was the #1 pick.

They didn't even make a Wade jersey (unless customized or replica) to stores other than the official Heat store at the Triple-A until his second year. They don't make rookie jerseys like that. Obviously, LBJ was a different story with that kind've hype.

He basically had an extra year up on Wade.

Amars
01-11-2007, 04:59 AM

I wonder who's #1 in jersey right now. It aint dwade or lebron.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/01/FF_119536_l-1.jpg

Section126
01-11-2007, 12:06 PM
I wonder who's #1 in jersey right now. It aint dwade or lebron.

http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_119000/FF_119536_l.jpg

Dude...I bought one as well. Bad argument.

Whenever a guy changes his number it's a big deal.

Like I said...I Bought one.

Amars
01-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Dude...I bought one as well. Bad argument.

Whenever a guy changes his number it's a big deal.

Like I said...I Bought one.

Whenever a guy win a championship its a big deal too:wink:

Slappy8800
01-12-2007, 12:04 AM
federer is still my choice

King Felix
01-12-2007, 12:14 AM
i got a wade jersey now

UCFinfan86
01-12-2007, 12:29 AM
i got a wade jersey now

I have 2

I finally got the one i really wanted for christmas. A white and black marquette Wade

Vertical Limit
01-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Whenever a guy win a championship its a big deal too:wink:
So they should buy the SAME jersey just because he won a championship?

The number makes much more of a difference.

Here's a prediction:
Allen Iverson will have the Top selling NBA Jersey in 2007. Why? Because he's in Denver now and it's a whole new jersey.

JT Sack Attack
01-13-2007, 06:56 PM
go heat but why arnt they doing that good this year