PDA

View Full Version : Union sues the NBA over new ball, tighter officiating

BAMAPHIN 22
12-05-2006, 11:36 AM
The players' association filed two unfair labor practice charges Friday against the NBA over issues with the new ball and the league's crackdown on player complaints.

The charges were filed with the National Labor Relations Board.
"I think that's right within the NBA's wheelhouse," Dallas owner Mark Cuban said. "They say the NBA stands for 'Nothing But Attorneys,' so we're going to be great at dealing with those issues."

A number of players publicly have complained about changing the ball from leather to a microfiber composite. Although players are adjusting to the new ball, they're having a much harder time with the crackdown on reactions after the whistle, often referred to as a "zero-tolerance policy."

NBA commissioner David Stern enacted the policy, saying players were reacting too strongly after calls, and it has led to an increase in technical fouls called this season.

"It takes away from your natural reaction, the things that make basketball what it is," said Jerry Stackhouse (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/3005), the Mavericks' player representative. "You think Bill Bradley never hit the support after he was called for a foul? That's the model citizen of all former NBA players. It's just a natural thing to do."

With players fined for each technical they receive, union director Billy Hunter told The Associated Press last month that legal action could be the next step if Stern didn't tell the referees to "back off."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/12/01/players.grievance.ap/index.html

Coral Reefer
12-05-2006, 11:40 AM
The players' association filed two unfair labor practice charges Friday against the NBA over issues with the new ball and the league's crackdown on player complaints.

The charges were filed with the National Labor Relations Board.
"I think that's right within the NBA's wheelhouse," Dallas owner Mark Cuban said. "They say the NBA stands for 'Nothing But Attorneys,' so we're going to be great at dealing with those issues."

A number of players publicly have complained about changing the ball from leather to a microfiber composite. Although players are adjusting to the new ball, they're having a much harder time with the crackdown on reactions after the whistle, often referred to as a "zero-tolerance policy."

NBA commissioner David Stern enacted the policy, saying players were reacting too strongly after calls, and it has led to an increase in technical fouls called this season.

"It takes away from your natural reaction, the things that make basketball what it is," said Jerry Stackhouse (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/3005), the Mavericks' player representative. "You think Bill Bradley never hit the support after he was called for a foul? That's the model citizen of all former NBA players. It's just a natural thing to do."

With players fined for each technical they receive, union director Billy Hunter told The Associated Press last month that legal action could be the next step if Stern didn't tell the referees to "back off."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/12/01/players.grievance.ap/index.html

Sports are getting ridiculous.
This is absurd.

Slappy8800
12-05-2006, 01:05 PM
the nba is ridiculous...

MikeO
12-05-2006, 01:11 PM
The union is a joke. The players are a friggin joke. This is why nobody cares about the NBA anymore on a national basis. Why the ratings are in the gutter.

What the heck kind of lawsuit is this???????? The players/union should be ashamed of themselves! If you don't like the "rules" or the "new ball".........QUIT!!! Get another job. Don't play in the NBA!

There is nothing unfair about what they did!

tucker
12-05-2006, 01:43 PM
the ball does suck..have you used it before?

finfansince72
12-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Ill follow the rules and act like a adult for the NBA minimum, let alone whatever half these guys are making. Hell Ill even play with a synthetic ball.

djfresh47
12-05-2006, 06:47 PM
I think the officiating is out of hand. Guys can't even look at the refs without being t'd up.

byroan
12-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Ill follow the rules and act like a adult for the NBA minimum, let alone whatever half these guys are making. Hell Ill even play with a synthetic ball.

I'd play with a rock for that kind of money.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-05-2006, 07:01 PM
I might be touching on a sore subject but I think the crap that David Stern is pulling with the NBA rules has to do with the fact that the league is mostly black. If this was an all white league I bet you half these dumb rules wouldn't be in place and I don't care what any of you think, it's the truth!

djfresh47
12-05-2006, 11:44 PM
I'd play with a rock for that kind of money.

Which is great but i'm guessing that you don't have the ability of the worst player in the NBA. It's hard to relate to any athelete because we see it as a game when to them it is their job. Some guys like the new ball and introducing something different always takes time to get used to. If Stern feels the ball will make a better product then that's great. I have no problem but guys can not even look at ref after a foul without getting a technical. The majority of the players in the association are African-American and the target audience is Upper-Class white males so Stern is trying to have his players be as marketable as possible to these people. I have a bigger problem with John Stockton's nut-huggers than anything done by the players in the association today.

MikeO
12-06-2006, 12:36 AM
I might be touching on a sore subject but I think the crap that David Stern is pulling with the NBA rules has to do with the fact that the league is mostly black. If this was an all white league I bet you half these dumb rules wouldn't be in place and I don't care what any of you think, it's the truth!

Your probably right, but so be it.

All the Stern has done is have a dress code. He changed the ball (big friggin deal) and stoped the bitching to the refs.

You can't argue BALLS and STRIKES in MLB with the umpire its an automatic ejection. And you can't argue foul calls in the NBA. What's the big deal????

If the players don't like it, quit!! Find a new job!

Rocky Raccoon
12-06-2006, 12:36 AM
possibly, but it's just about cleaning it up. There is way too much complaining in the NBA. And now they're complaining about the complaining...or something. Just shut up, put on your uniform, follow the rules and play ****ing basketball.

Slappy8800
12-06-2006, 01:50 AM

maybe but thats the reason the nba has 0 ratings....look, im not a racist y any means....but the nba today has 0 appeal to us white people. The thug image has to go. I miss the days of magic,bird,jordan when SKILL was actually used in the game. I prefer a game with more shooting than dunking. But like I said, thats just me. A middle class white boy.

UCFinfan86
12-06-2006, 01:52 AM
maybe but thats the reason the nba has 0 ratings....look, im not a racist y any means....but the nba today has 0 appeal to us white people. The thug image has to go. I miss the days of magic,bird,jordan when SKILL was actually used in the game. I prefer a game with more shooting than dunking. But like I said, thats just me. A middle class white boy.

It has alot of appeal to white kids, maybe not as much as black kids, but to say that middle class white boys don't like basketball is a stretch, Me and all of my friends play and watch basketball

finfansince72
12-06-2006, 10:26 AM
I think the officiating has been a little overbearing but to get things in check the league had to go no-tolerance. If they for example, just t'd up Rasheed and a few other guys they'd be open to complaints and grievances. With a no tolerance rule the league can back itself up.
The league has a image problem, people think the players are thugs that run the show. That maybe overexxagerated but the image problem is real. The players took the complaining and showing up refs too far. Really the league should have cracked down on this years ago. I certainly switched the channel more than a few times over the last few years out of disgust with a silly Rasheed tirade or Ron Artest pouting session, it got silly.

byroan
12-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Which is great but i'm guessing that you don't have the ability of the worst player in the NBA.

Which has nothing to do with the topic but I'll play along...

I've played basketball for 10 years with a basketball made of the old material. Now I've played pickup games with the new ball and when you're playing you can't tell a difference.

Besides, they're not self employed. They all work for Stern. They have to do what he says. Now instead of getting use to it, they're threatning to sue? What a joke.

Slappy8800
12-06-2006, 03:39 PM
It has alot of appeal to white kids, maybe not as much as black kids, but to say that middle class white boys don't like basketball is a stretch, Me and all of my friends play and watch basketball

so you and your friends= everone?

dreday
12-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Well its all said and good,but now basically Stern is apologizing about the ball.Hes saying if the players arent happy he isnt either.He says he should have consulted more players before he made his decision to change the ball.

tucker
12-06-2006, 03:52 PM

I've played basketball for 10 years with a basketball made of the old material. Now I've played pickup games with the new ball and when you're playing you can't tell a difference.

sure there is

tucker
12-06-2006, 03:53 PM
maybe but thats the reason the nba has 0 ratings....look, im not a racist y any means....but the nba today has 0 appeal to us white people. The thug image has to go. I miss the days of magic,bird,jordan when SKILL was actually used in the game. I prefer a game with more shooting than dunking. But like I said, thats just me. A middle class white boy.so you = everyone?

Slappy8800
12-06-2006, 03:58 PM
so you = everyone?not at all but look at the marketing campaigns by the NBA...what about them is appealing to a white person?

Lets be honest....for the most part, white people dont like rap. And thats the image the NBA has now. And to be honest again, who is more likely to buy tickets to the games? Youre kidding yourself if you dont think its white people. I dont want to get into a race fight, but the NBA has alienated the very people that the league is dependant on.

dreday
12-06-2006, 04:02 PM
not at all but look at the marketing campaigns by the NBA...what about them is appealing to a white person?

Lets be honest....for the most part, white people dont like rap. And thats the image the NBA has now. And to be honest again, who is more likely to buy tickets to the games? Youre kidding yourself if you dont think its white people. I dont want to get into a race fight, but the NBA has alienated the very people that the league is dependant on.

Wrong on all points Slap...The NBA will never market the way YOU want it to.The NBA is 75% black as we all know.They are trying to make it more straight laced,but for you itll never be that way.Lets face it you want to see more white players right?Well the NBA markets the talent it has.As far as rap music more white kids and people buy it than any other race.

EDIT-And as far as buying tickets to the games who do you think still buy the most tickets?Yes the rating are lower,but look at there are fewer REAL superstars than there used to be also.

Slappy8800
12-06-2006, 04:10 PM
I dont care if the players are white,black green or red.....the problem i has is this rap/thug image....i hate all the showboating, all the dunking, the ME ME ME attitude of nba players....its not even a team sport anymore...its get the ball to KOBE or LEBRON and move out of his way.

The game itself is boring to watch. Dribble,pass,dunk....thats all it is...very few skill players. I can watch streetball and be more entertained because those guys have some skill.

But hey thats just me...give me bird,magic,karl malone over kobe,shaq,lebron anyday

phinman1
12-06-2006, 04:16 PM
It's business. The ball is cheaper and easier to manufacture. If the players were constantly losing the ball or FG% dipped, it may be an issue. However, the players are getting used to it and it's not a big deal. The union is pissed because they weren't even consulted on the new ball, which I can understand.

As to the technicals, I agree with it. The games go smoother now that every call isn't followed by a song and dance routine, and again, it's business. Let's face it the image of the NBA sucks, and yes there is a racial aspect to it. Stern wants to make his league more palatable to the casual fan. Who the hell wants to turn on the TV and see some tattoed behometh making 15 mill whine constantly? Certainly not the guy making 35K with a family of four. It's a good move by Stern.

dreday
12-06-2006, 04:17 PM
I dont care if the players are white,black green or red.....the problem i has is this rap/thug image....i hate all the showboating, all the dunking, the ME ME ME attitude of nba players....its not even a team sport anymore...its get the ball to KOBE or LEBRON and move out of his way.

The game itself is boring to watch. Dribble,pass,dunk....thats all it is...very few skill players. I can watch streetball and be more entertained because those guys have some skill.

But hey thats just me...give me bird,magic,karl malone over kobe,shaq,lebron anyday
Well theyve quietly done away with the so called THUG image.Theyve changed the dress code.You cant say anything to the officials anymore.No more showing of any emotion anymore,even tho its a competition.So what more do you want?Maybe you just dont like basketball,i dont know.

And basketball probably requires more skill than any other sport.And hey I agree,give me Magic,Jordan,and some of the old school guys,but at the same time you have to deal with reality.Lets face it alot of these guys come from broken homes and were raised a certain way and dont like to try and fit into some kind of image.

UCFinfan86
12-06-2006, 04:32 PM
so you and your friends= everone?

No but just becuase you dont, doesn't mean everyone

EDIT: NVM i didnt read the whole thread and see this was alreayd brought up

Slappy8800
12-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Well theyve quietly done away with the so called THUG image.Theyve changed the dress code.You cant say anything to the officials anymore.No more showing of any emotion anymore,even tho its a competition.So what more do you want?Maybe you just dont like basketball,i dont know.

And basketball probably requires more skill than any other sport.And hey I agree,give me Magic,Jordan,and some of the old school guys,but at the same time you have to deal with reality.Lets face it alot of these guys come from broken homes and were raised a certain way and dont like to try and fit into some kind of image.

where has the thug image gone away? it didnt magically disappear. gurantee you take a poll of people on the street, ask them if the nba has a thug image they will say yes. i could care less what the players wear before or after games so the dress code means nothing to me...in fact i ated when guys were gettin fined for shorts being too long etc.

the NFL has probably the % of white players in the league. However, they dont have this thug image. I dont know how they do it, but when u think of the NFL u dont think thug. Maybe its all the stupid rules that I hate so much, maybe its the players..i couldnt tell you. but i can relate more to an NFL player than an NBA player.

Basketball probably takes the least skill of any sport. I played numerous sports and can say, basketball was by far the easiest. I mean, anyone can throw the ball at the hoop. Not everyone can hit a baseball or skate on ice. Football is a more mental sport otherwise its quite simple.

As for the broken homes excuse...spare me.

dreday
12-06-2006, 05:14 PM
where has the thug image gone away? it didnt magically disappear. gurantee you take a poll of people on the street, ask them if the nba has a thug image they will say yes. i could care less what the players wear before or after games so the dress code means nothing to me...in fact i ated when guys were gettin fined for shorts being too long etc.

the NFL has probably the % of white players in the league. However, they dont have this thug image. I dont know how they do it, but when u think of the NFL u dont think thug. Maybe its all the stupid rules that I hate so much, maybe its the players..i couldnt tell you. but i can relate more to an NFL player than an NBA player.

Basketball probably takes the least skill of any sport. I played numerous sports and can say, basketball was by far the easiest. I mean, anyone can throw the ball at the hoop. Not everyone can hit a baseball or skate on ice. Football is a more mental sport otherwise its quite simple.

As for the broken homes excuse...spare me.

Well Slappy not everybody has the same opinion as you.Not everybody lives the same life as you.Or I for that matter.I live in CO.I dont hear anything about the NBA still being associated with a thug image.I dont know where ur hearing it.Your perception is what it is.Theres no changing that.

As far as b-ball being easy,its easy when you play by yourself and with friends yes.Id like to see you get out there with pro-players where the point gaurds are 6-4 and sometimes bigger and can jump over you like you arent standing there.The same can be said for football.Play with you and your friends,and yes its easy,but get tackled by 270 pound linebackers that run 4.7's and theres a difference.

As for the broken homes thing being an excuse...Its not its REALITY.People come from all different backgrounds in football also..Hey theres probably MORE so called thugs in the NFL just because of the nature of the sport.

Slappy8800
12-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Well Slappy not everybody has the same opinion as you.Not everybody lives the same life as you.Or I for that matter.I live in CO.I dont hear anything about the NBA still being associated with a thug image.I dont know where ur hearing it.Your perception is what it is.Theres no changing that.

As far as b-ball being easy,its easy when you play by yourself and with friends yes.Id like to see you get out there with pro-players where the point gaurds are 6-4 and sometimes bigger and can jump over you like you arent standing there.The same can be said for football.Play with you and your friends,and yes its easy,but get tackled by 270 pound linebackers that run 4.7's and theres a difference.

As for the broken homes thing being an excuse...Its not its REALITY.People come from all different backgrounds in football also..Hey theres probably MORE so called thugs in the NFL just because of the nature of the sport.

its not what i hear its what I see....i dont see any change in the nba

as for playing, im 6'0 barely....i played in high school agaisnt guys bigger than me and guys smaller than me. theres some strategy yes, but as far as actual skill....thats no longer in the NBA. guys go straight for the sportscenter dunk...everyone wants to see themselves on TV. Im not saying i blame them. hell id love to be on TV but its taking away from the game. The defense in the nba is a joke. Call me old school i guess....

as for the broken homes...cmon now. youre telling me because someone had a hard childhood its ok to act a certain way? im a kid of 2 divorces i saw stuff that i never shouldve been exposed to but I dont act a certain way because of it. Thats exactl why im glad the NBA finally made college mandatory...hell every sport should require a college degree.

dreday
12-06-2006, 05:27 PM
And btw,what in your opinion is a thug?Hey I know Artest was wrong for what he did last year...But do his actions last year automatically make him a thug?

John McEnroe used to throw some of the biggest hissies in sports,but nobody ever called him a thug.Im not so sure people know what a thug is when they use the term.

A thug can be any color.A thug is a person that goes around robbing and stealing,even committing murders.Doing drugs.Id say all NBA players make too much money for that.Do some get into trouble.Yes,but its not fair to say ALL basketball players come from a certain background.So just because ur black and play basketball or dress a certain way it doesnt make you a thug.

djfresh47
12-06-2006, 05:33 PM

Besides, they're not self employed. They all work for Stern. They have to do what he says. Now instead of getting use to it, they're threatning to sue? What a joke.

I'm assuming a professional has more knowledge as stupid as this sound of a basketball. Some players like it but even when viewing the game a fan can see that the ball tends to "stick" more to the backboard. Tim Duncan last year who does not say anything criticized the dress code that Stern put in place. I did not know he could even talk and he has a problem with the dress code. The players do not work for Stern they work for the respective owners of the team.

dreday
12-06-2006, 05:34 PM
its not what i hear its what I see....i dont see any change in the nba

as for playing, im 6'0 barely....i played in high school agaisnt guys bigger than me and guys smaller than me. theres some strategy yes, but as far as actual skill....thats no longer in the NBA. guys go straight for the sportscenter dunk...everyone wants to see themselves on TV. Im not saying i blame them. hell id love to be on TV but its taking away from the game. The defense in the nba is a joke. Call me old school i guess....

as for the broken homes...cmon now. youre telling me because someone had a hard childhood its ok to act a certain way? im a kid of 2 divorces i saw stuff that i never shouldve been exposed to but I dont act a certain way because of it. Thats exactl why im glad the NBA finally made college mandatory...hell every sport should require a college degree.

Well then you are entitled to your opinion Im not hear to try and change that.Most people I know believe pro-basketball players are the best atheletes on the planet.

As for the broken homes thing once again everybody is different.Just because youve been thru some things doesnt mean everybody else is going to handle it the way you did.Look ive been to many ghettos around the states.Have I become a thug?No.Have I hung around or been around people who have done wrong?Yes.Does that make me a thug?No.Some of these guys are truly from some seriously torn up lives.......And hey you just dont automatically change because somebody gives you a paycheck.

djfresh47
12-06-2006, 08:24 PM
I saw on PTI and ATH that Stern is considering going back to the old ball.

UCFinfan86
12-06-2006, 09:34 PM
I don't really care one way or another if they go back to the old ball or not, but i don't think stern will, because then he is giving in to the players and stern is all about having control