PDA

View Full Version : Oh No RUTGERS fans........

MikeO
12-06-2006, 02:55 AM
NFL NETWORK is saying they WON'T sell the game to local cable companies in NY/NJ. (Like they do with the NFL games they have).

Example, on Thanksgiving.....KC vs Denver. NFL NETWORK sold the game to a local channel in KC and Denver so the hometown markets got to see the game. And they do that each week with the NFL games they have.

NFL NETWORK was quoted today as saying they won't do that with their BOWL GAMES!!!!

P.S........more on Rutgers. Next years OUT OF CONFERENCE schedule will hurt them big time. Army. Buffalo. Navy. Maryland. and a IAA school yet to be announced.

Cool Calm Mike
12-06-2006, 02:58 AM
That is really annoying.

I guess i'll have to go to a bar and watch.

DonShula84
12-06-2006, 03:36 AM
That sucks when you cant even watch your teams bowl game.

Ronnie Bass
12-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Why on earth is it even on the NFL network to begin with?

I got a feeling the network is going to get a TON of bad press for this decision and I wouldn't even be surprised to see Jersey politicians getting in on the outcry.

Trust me, this is NOT going to go over well in the area.

nyjunc
12-06-2006, 08:53 AM
NFL NETWORK is saying they WON'T sell the game to local cable companies in NY/NJ. (Like they do with the NFL games they have).

Example, on Thanksgiving.....KC vs Denver. NFL NETWORK sold the game to a local channel in KC and Denver so the hometown markets got to see the game. And they do that each week with the NFL games they have.

NFL NETWORK was quoted today as saying they won't do that with their BOWL GAMES!!!!

P.S........more on Rutgers. Next years OUT OF CONFERENCE schedule will hurt them big time. Army. Buffalo. Navy. Maryland. and a IAA school yet to be announced.

I am sure they'll have the game near Piscataway and on Campus though. Other fans an go to sports bars that have Direct TV.

NJFINSFAN1
12-06-2006, 09:03 AM

When do they start with the Notre Dame games, is that 2008 or 2009?
PS

I think Buffalo will be off the schedule after breaking the contract this year to play (I think it was Wisconsin)

Stitches
12-06-2006, 09:34 AM
PS

I think Buffalo will be off the schedule after breaking the contract this year to play (I think it was Wisconsin)

I thought Buffalo played Minnesota early in the year, and got romped like 44-0.

nyjunc
12-06-2006, 09:59 AM
PS

2010, in 2010 they'll have a good non-conf sched as they play UNC(who should be good by then) and ND though Schiano will likely be gone by the time those games are played. the link below shows their future scheds:

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/rutgers_future.htm

Timmy54
12-06-2006, 11:29 AM
NFL network does a pretty good job with games, sorry the local market wont get it without dish or directtv but you are right, you could always go to a bar. It is more fun to watch games with others anyway/

NJFINSFAN1
12-06-2006, 03:15 PM
I thought Buffalo played Minnesota early in the year, and got romped like 44-0.

They broke a contract with Rutgers and I'm pretty sure it was for Wisconsin, I know Rutgers was P'od!

HysterikiLL
12-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Um...why is college football on NFL Network?

NJFINSFAN1
12-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Rutgers football fans hoping to watch their team in the Texas Bowl later this month may be better off going to Manhattan -- the one in Kansas, that is.

Politicians are involved now, but NFL says tough!

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNjImZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMzMxNDcmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

NJFINSFAN1
12-12-2006, 06:19 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/12/12/bc.fbn.nflnetwork.freev.ap/index.html

Rutgers Bowl Game Will be on FreeView

NFL Network offers a free week that week.

:wink:

MikeO
12-13-2006, 02:15 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/12/12/bc.fbn.nflnetwork.freev.ap/index.html

Rutgers Bowl Game Will be on FreeView

NFL Network offers a free week that week.

:wink:

But some cable companies are ONLY carrying the 2 bowl games and no other NFL NETWORK programming.

The cable companies and the NFL Network HATE each other!! Man, they just flat out hate each other

Stitches
12-13-2006, 02:17 PM
But some cable companies are ONLY carrying the 2 bowl games and no other NFL NETWORK programming.

The cable companies and the NFL Network HATE each other!! Man, they just flat out hate each other

I don't know why Time Warner won't carry NFL network. I would pay a couple bucks each month to get it.

NJFINSFAN1
12-13-2006, 03:24 PM

Cabelvision said they would carry the free week

Time warner has said nothing yet.

burger13
12-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Cabelvision said they would carry the free week

Time warner has said nothing yet.

from profootballtalk (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm):

Cablevision will air the Rutgers game only, and no other programming for the week. Time Warner has yet to decide what to do.

Where did you here that they would carry the free week?

NJFINSFAN1
12-13-2006, 04:16 PM
from profootballtalk (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm):

Where did you here that they would carry the free week?

Bergen record said it at first, maybe its just in this area???

You Blue Claw fans maybe left out of the rest of it?

burger13
12-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Bergen record said it at first, maybe its just in this area???

You Blue Claw fans maybe left out of the rest of it?

:sidelol: You Blue Claws and fans in the same sentence. :sidelol:

Good stuff though......I didn't think that anyone outside of Monmouth or Ocean county would have ever heard of them.

I hope not......I'm sure where PFT got their info, they didn't link to any source. Who knows at this point.

I'd like a week of NFL network, but as long as I get the Rutgers game, I'll be happy (that has to be right at the top of the list of things I never thought I'd say :lol: ).

NJFINSFAN1
12-13-2006, 05:09 PM
:sidelol: You Blue Claws and fans in the same sentence. :sidelol:

Good stuff though......I didn't think that anyone outside of Monmouth or Ocean county would have ever heard of them.

I hope not......I'm sure where PFT got their info, they didn't link to any source. Who knows at this point.

I'd like a week of NFL network, but as long as I get the Rutgers game, I'll be happy (that has to be right at the top of the list of things I never thought I'd say :lol: ).

My sister-in-law lives a few blocks from the stadium in Howell, in fact a guy I played baseball with growing up owns a pizza place a few blocks away also.:lol:

burger13
12-13-2006, 05:20 PM
My sister-in-law lives a few blocks from the stadium in Howell, in fact a guy I played baseball with growing up owns a pizza place a few blocks away also.:lol:

I live right down the road from the stadium.

Which Pizza place?

NJFINSFAN1
12-13-2006, 05:30 PM
I live right down the road from the stadium.

Which Pizza place?

I'm must likely butching it.

Coursys or Corsies, by the Wah wah

FLOUNDER
12-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Im still befuddled why they would have a bowl game and not show it nationally

NJFINSFAN1
12-13-2006, 08:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2696794

Time Warner is in!

Bumpus
12-14-2006, 11:28 AM
:yeahthat:

Stitches
12-14-2006, 11:30 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2696794

Time Warner is in!

I don't live in the NY area though. My Time Warner doesn't carry NFL network. How am I supposed to watch it?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-14-2006, 11:41 AM
just one of the things the NFL is doing to try and get more providers to pick up the NFL Network.

nyjunc
12-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Time Warner has given NFLN 2 choices, 1 of which is to just show the game and not the week preview or another is to put the free preview on a higher tier. NFLN says they won't take either and TW customers may miss the game.

Cablevision also says it will only show the game BUt if NFLN wouldn't allow that from TW why would they from Cablevision? it doesn't look like those Bowl games will be shown on thes cable systems.

NJFINSFAN1
12-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Cablevision is showing the game, its a done deal.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- Time Warner Cable moved closer Wednesday to reaching a truce with the NFL Network over carrying the Texas Bowl game between Rutgers and Kansas State on Dec. 28.
Another New York-area cable operator, Cablevision, said Tuesday that it would carry the game after the NFL Network offered both cable companies free carriage for the week of Dec. 24-30.

In a letter to NFL Network president Steve Bornstein, Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt offered two possibilities: making just the Rutgers game available to all customers on Time Warner's basic tier, or carrying the network all week on a digital tier, which costs extra and is received by about 75 percent of New York City area systems. No final decision has been made.

nyjunc
12-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Cablevision is showing the game, its a done deal.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- Time Warner Cable moved closer Wednesday to reaching a truce with the NFL Network over carrying the Texas Bowl game between Rutgers and Kansas State on Dec. 28.
Another New York-area cable operator, Cablevision, said Tuesday that it would carry the game after the NFL Network offered both cable companies free carriage for the week of Dec. 24-30.

In a letter to NFL Network president Steve Bornstein, Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt offered two possibilities: making just the Rutgers game available to all customers on Time Warner's basic tier, or carrying the network all week on a digital tier, which costs extra and is received by about 75 percent of New York City area systems. No final decision has been made.

It's not a done deal, NFLN offered a free week and Cablevision is saying they will only show the game- that's not the deal.

NJFINSFAN1
12-14-2006, 02:30 PM
The offer extends only to Time Warner and Cablevision in the New York City area and New Jersey, NFL Network spokesman Seth Plansky said.
Cablevision said it will show the Texas Bowl but Time Warner had yet to decide.

nyjunc
12-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Maybe it is then but that's not what I read today and either way it doesn't help most people out. Most people don't care about seeing 2 crappy bowl games(no offense), if I am a Cablevision or TW customer I want the NFLN for a week not just the bowl games.

Cool Calm Mike
12-14-2006, 04:14 PM
So, people in the NYC area will be getting NFL Network for the game?

This whole thread is confusing.

NJFINSFAN1
12-15-2006, 11:55 AM
So, people in the NYC area will be getting NFL Network for the game?

This whole thread is confusing.

As of now, cablevision yes, Time warner maybe.

Cool Calm Mike
12-15-2006, 02:43 PM
As of now, cablevision yes, Time warner maybe.

Cool! :clap:

arsenal
12-15-2006, 02:55 PM
i want the full week so i can see the regular NFL game too

burger13
12-15-2006, 03:55 PM
i want the full week so i can see the regular NFL game too

That was never part of the deal....even w/ the free week, the Giants/Redskins game wasn't going to be shown.

But, since it is the Giants, people who get local NY stations will be able to see it anyway. :wink:

MikeO
12-15-2006, 07:16 PM
I heard TIME WARNER has said NO they won't be airing the NFL NETWORK for that week.

Rutgers fans still out in the cold if they have TIME WARNER!!

Not 100% about this, but that is the rumor

NJFINSFAN1
12-19-2006, 08:42 AM
I heard TIME WARNER has said NO they won't be airing the NFL NETWORK for that week.

Rutgers fans still out in the cold if they have TIME WARNER!!

Not 100% about this, but that is the rumor

Time Warner to show Rutgers' bowl game

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNjImZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwNDA3MjMmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

mf52dolphin
12-19-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't know why Time Warner won't carry NFL network. I would pay a couple bucks each month to get it.

Probably three reasons.

1. Time-Warner, through either HBO or TBS(they own all the HBO and Turner Broadcasting channels), was denided the chance to bid for the 8 game NFL package. Time-Warner's current management is a fiesty group and does like to get revenge. They also have shown to have problems with other competing media providers(FOX in particular, and some with Viacom).
2. Ever since Time-Warner merged with AOL, and AOL dragged down the company, Time-Warner has been cheap(see the lack of interest in keeping good players on the Braves). Therfore they don't want to pay any heavy programming fees.
3. Time-Warner's cable divison believes in tier pricing and wants to maximize revenue. The NFL wants the NFL network to be treated the same as ESPN, while Time-Warner sees the NFL Network as a Disney Channel for football fans, which means that it should be a premium channel with extra charges for the consumer.

nyjunc
12-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Calbelvision will NOT show the RU game as of now:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12212006/sports/rutgers_tv_blackout_sports_andrew_marchand.htm

burger13
12-21-2006, 11:15 AM
I would probably go out and watch the game anyway, so it's not that big a deal for me personally......

but **** Cablevision!! The NFL certainly shares blame in the overall problem, but Cablevision is directly sticking it to it's customers w/ this decision.

Cool Calm Mike
12-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Calbelvision will NOT show the RU game as of now:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12212006/sports/rutgers_tv_blackout_sports_andrew_marchand.htm

:shakeno:

MikeO
12-25-2006, 02:08 AM
I would probably go out and watch the game anyway, so it's not that big a deal for me personally......

but **** Cablevision!! The NFL certainly shares blame in the overall problem, but Cablevision is directly sticking it to it's customers w/ this decision.

How does the NFL share in the problem???? They have a network. They want programing, so they bought the bowl game. They will air it. If the cable companies don't want to air their station that isn't their fault!!!!!!

The cable companies are upset that they can't get the Sunday Ticket. Well, DIRECTV paid half a billion (yes half a billion) for exclusive rights for the Sunday Ticket. BEAT that bid......and they can have the Sunday Ticket!!!!!!!! Simple math. The cable companies are UPSET and they take it out on the CUSTOMER!!!!!!! Why? Because they can!! The hell with them, get DIRECTV never have to worry about this crap ever again!

DonShula84
12-25-2006, 03:41 AM
How does the NFL share in the problem???? They have a network. They want programing, so they bought the bowl game. They will air it. If the cable companies don't want to air their station that isn't their fault!!!!!!

The cable companies are upset that they can't get the Sunday Ticket. Well, DIRECTV paid half a billion (yes half a billion) for exclusive rights for the Sunday Ticket. BEAT that bid......and they can have the Sunday Ticket!!!!!!!! Simple math. The cable companies are UPSET and they take it out on the CUSTOMER!!!!!!! Why? Because they can!! The hell with them, get DIRECTV never have to worry about this crap ever again!

I place some blame on the NFL because atleast my cable company stopped offering NFL Network because they said the NFL charges the networks so much that the cost made it hard for them to keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the NFL is charging exorbinant amounts of money to air their network it most certianly becomes their fault also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeO
12-25-2006, 01:43 PM
I place some blame on the NFL because atleast my cable company stopped offering NFL Network because they said the NFL charges the networks so much that the cost made it hard for them to keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the NFL is charging exorbinant amounts of money to air their network it most certianly becomes their fault also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ESPN is the highest charging cable company out there and your cable company finds a way to carry them. Bottom line is the cable companies are upset they don't get the NFL SUNDAY TICKET.....so this is their form of payback.

The NFL has done nothing wrong!!

DonShula84
12-25-2006, 08:48 PM
ESPN is the highest charging cable company out there and your cable company finds a way to carry them. Bottom line is the cable companies are upset they don't get the NFL SUNDAY TICKET.....so this is their form of payback.

The NFL has done nothing wrong!!

You maybe right but the product that ESPN has reaches a much broader audience then the NFL Network so it should cost a lot. I have no idea how much NFL Network costs in comparison to ESPN or any other network for that matter but if what my cable company told me was true the NFL deserves some of the blame.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-28-2006, 01:12 AM
This is all Rutgers fault. Beat West Virginia and you don't have to worry about playing in the Texas Bowl on cable. What the hell is the Texas Bowl anyways?

MikeO
12-28-2006, 01:44 AM
You maybe right but the product that ESPN has reaches a much broader audience then the NFL Network so it should cost a lot. I have no idea how much NFL Network costs in comparison to ESPN or any other network for that matter but if what my cable company told me was true the NFL deserves some of the blame.

That makes no sesne!! :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

The reasons it reaches a bigger audience is because the cable companies don't have an axe to grind with them and aren't blackballing them like they are with the NFL NETWORK!!!

This is the whole issue at hand!! :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

DonShula84
12-28-2006, 02:49 AM
That makes no sesne!! :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

The reasons it reaches a bigger audience is because the cable companies don't have an axe to grind with them and aren't blackballing them like they are with the NFL NETWORK!!!

This is the whole issue at hand!! :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Perhaps I wasnt clear enough for you...by having a PRODUCT that reaches a broader audience I meant more people are interested in the ESPN PRODUCT than the NFL network PRODUCT. That should be painfully obvious. ESPN airs multiple sports, and other shows, including the NFL and college football while the NFL network airs only football, and almost exclusively the NFL.... I was in no way referring to how many people are able to view the networks but how many people are interested in the product they have to offer. Completely different things. :shakeno: But dont let the point stand in the way of your laughing...

finswin56
12-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Perhaps I wasnt clear enough for you...by having a PRODUCT that reaches a broader audience I meant more people are interested in the ESPN PRODUCT than the NFL network PRODUCT. That should be painfully obvious. ESPN airs multiple sports, and other shows, including the NFL and college football while the NFL network airs only football, and almost exclusively the NFL.... I was in no way referring to how many people are able to view the networks but how many people are interested in the product they have to offer. Completely different things. :shakeno: But dont let the point stand in the way of your laughing...
Your point seemed pretty clear, and obvious, to me :dunno:

MikeO
12-28-2006, 10:37 AM
well if the nfl "product" is so small reaching then why is everyone complaining??

Those "few" people should just buy directv and be done with it!! And stop whining about it.

Your point makes little sense

DonShula84
12-28-2006, 03:38 PM
well if the nfl "product" is so small reaching then why is everyone complaining??

Those "few" people should just buy directv and be done with it!! And stop whining about it.

Your point makes little sense

How this isnt making sense to you is amazing

FLOUNDER
12-28-2006, 04:45 PM
This isint making any sense

I dont get the NFL channel...Most americans do have basic cable ya know..

MikeO
12-28-2006, 07:20 PM
How this isnt making sense to you is amazing

Because you are blaming hte NFL and NFL NETWORK for something that is out of their control.

James Dolan the owner of Cablevision was on TV 2 weeks ago and said, since the NFL won't give us the SUNDAY TICKET (which he has every right to bid on) he says why should I air the NFL NETWORK????

It has nothing to do with money!!! It has to do with Cablevision, Time Warner...etc blackballing the NFL NETWORK and screwing YOU the customer.

Your point of the NFL has some of the blame in this makes no sense!!!!

Slappy8800
12-28-2006, 09:24 PM
I gots comcast and have NFL network :D

Cool Calm Mike
12-28-2006, 09:25 PM
The game is on Cablevision here, channel 15.

7-0 Rutgers!

FLOUNDER
12-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Channel 15 for me is espn2

wpgfishfan
12-28-2006, 09:39 PM
NFL network is on basic digital up here in Canada.

We also get the Sunday Ticket for $120 Canadian

FLOUNDER
12-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Rutgers is playing on ESPN2!!!

Just there basketball team against UNC though

DonShula84
12-29-2006, 02:52 AM
Because you are blaming hte NFL and NFL NETWORK for something that is out of their control.

James Dolan the owner of Cablevision was on TV 2 weeks ago and said, since the NFL won't give us the SUNDAY TICKET (which he has every right to bid on) he says why should I air the NFL NETWORK????

It has nothing to do with money!!! It has to do with Cablevision, Time Warner...etc blackballing the NFL NETWORK and screwing YOU the customer.

Your point of the NFL has some of the blame in this makes no sense!!!!

I think there is some miscommunication going on here. I'm in no way blaming the NFL, infact earlier I said you might be right about the issue with the cable companies being mad and wanting to stick to the NFL. I dont know that you are 100% right, I think that could be a part of it, and a big part at that, but perhaps not all of it based on what I was told by my cable company. I was merely acknowledging that you could be right while also pointing out that ESPN charging more isnt necessarily relevent because they can and should charge more because their product is wanted by a much broader audience. All I ever did was say IF the NFL is charging the cable companies a ton to air the NFL network, like I was told by my cable company, then they are in part to blame.

MikeO
12-29-2006, 11:33 AM
I think there is some miscommunication going on here. I'm in no way blaming the NFL, infact earlier I said you might be right about the issue with the cable companies being mad and wanting to stick to the NFL. I dont know that you are 100% right, I think that could be a part of it, and a big part at that, but perhaps not all of it based on what I was told by my cable company. I was merely acknowledging that you could be right while also pointing out that ESPN charging more isnt necessarily relevent because they can and should charge more because their product is wanted by a much broader audience. All I ever did was say IF the NFL is charging the cable companies a ton to air the NFL network, like I was told by my cable company, then they are in part to blame.

The NFL is in no part to blame. And of course your cable company gives you some **** and bull story about how much the NFL is charging and it being so high. It's their cop-out as to why you aren't getting it and it makes them look good. It's BS, but it's their defense. Problem is James Dolan of Cablevision was on TV 2 weeks ago and said point blank.......if I can't have the Sunday Ticket why should I carry NFL Network. Nothing to do with money. Just a vendetta he has towards the NFL!