PDA

View Full Version : Rodriguez to Alabama

FLOUNDER
12-07-2006, 09:34 PM
:mad: :( :mad: :(

BREAKING NEWS ... ALABAMA TO HIRE RICH RODRIGUEZ
Staff
12/07/06

Rich Rodriguez will be named the new head football coach at the University of Alabama in a Friday press conference. The West Virginia coach will take over the Crimson Tide program vacated by Mike Shula, who was fired two weeks ago.

Rodriguez and his wife, Rita, met with Alabama athletic director Mal Moore in New York City earlier in the week, and according to sources at both West Virginia and Alabama, Moore called Rodriguez Wednesday night with an official offer.

Rodriguez is in Jacksonville on Thursday and is scheduled to fly via private plane to Tuscaloosa early Friday morning for a press conference later in the day.

The terms of Rodriguez's contract with Alabama is not known at this time, other than Alabama has agreed to pay the $2 million buyout in his West Virginia contract.

According to one West Virginia assistant coach, Rodriguez will like to coach the Mountaineers in their upcoming Gator Bowl game before taking over in Tuscaloosa, but no official agreement has been reached yet.

More information will be posted later in the day.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-07-2006, 09:54 PM
well, great hire for alabama...

FLOUNDER
12-07-2006, 11:42 PM
December 07, 2006
Alabama offers, but no reply (9:28 pm)
Dave Hickman
Staff writer

MORGANTOWN — Despite a frenzy of published reports to the contrary, Rich Rodriguez remained West Virginia’s football coach Thursday night and apparently had not decided what to do with an offer to coach Alabama’s football team that was presented to him earlier in the day.
Amid reports — mostly by Web sites based in Alabama — that went so far as to say a press conference to introduce him had been scheduled today in Tuscaloosa, by mid-evening Thursday Rodriguez had not responded one way or another to the Tide.

Rodriguez did not respond to phone calls Thursday and, in fact, even went so far as to turn off the voice mail on his cell phone. But sources close to the West Virginia coach said that as of Thursday evening Rodriguez hadn’t even had a chance to discuss the situation with his family. Nor has Rodriguez even visited the Alabama campus, which those close to him insist he would do at least once before committing to any move.

“When he was considering Texas Tech [before he took the coaching job at WVU] he went down there three times before he said no,’’ the source said.

This much is apparently true, though: Alabama made an offer.

Alabama athletic director Mal Moore is believed to have offered Rodriguez the job via telephone late Wednesday night or Thursday morning. Earlier reports that Moore flew to Morgantown to meet with Rodriguez couldn’t be confirmed.

While the terms of the contract offer are unknown, the Mobile Press-Register, which first reported the story, said it was believed that Alabama’s offer to Rodriguez would match the highest coaching salary now being paid in the Southeastern Conference. Auburn’s Tommy Tuberville is the highest-paid coach in the SEC at $2.2 million per year. Rodriguez currently makes $1 million at West Virginia.

According to the Mobile newspaper, Alabama decided late Wednesday not to wait until after the NFL season to speak directly to Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban about the Alabama vacancy. Saban was considered by many as Alabama’s top choice for the job.

A report in the Miami Herald Thursday that Alabama approached Saban again about the job seems credible. But the contract figures the Herald reports — $5 million per year for at least seven years, plus a $7 million signing bonus — appear farfetched.

If Rodriguez was, in fact, mulling an offer from Alabama Thursday, he didn’t show it in his schedule for most of the day. Maintaining a largely business-as-usual approach, he made a scheduled trip to Jacksonville, Fla., Thursday afternoon, where he attended a Gator Bowl meet-and-greet in the early evening and even went through a scheduled press conference there. He refused, though, to answer any questions concerning his employment future — in part for obvious personal reasons and in part because the Gator Bowl Association asked him not to, instead asking that he focus on their game.

West Virginia plays Georgia Tech in the Gator Bowl on Jan. 1, and another Internet report Thursday that claimed Gator Bowl officials have already been told Rodriguez won’t coach the Mountaineers also appeared to be bogus.

Following the Gator Bowl event, Rodriguez either went to Orlando, Fla., later Thursday night, where two of his players — center Dan Mozes and tailback Steve Slaton — were contenders for awards at a college football awards show, or he returned directly home.

According to a handful of Web sites, though, Rodriguez was to stay in Florida and then fly directly to Tuscaloosa Friday for an announcement. But no established media went so far as to report that, nor did any reputable media source report that Rodriguez had accepted the job.

To contact staff writer Dave Hickman, use e-mail or call 348-1734.

305TillIDie
12-07-2006, 11:51 PM
thank you god..nomore Saban-to-Bama talk

/me checks to see if WVU wants Saban

:lol:

Wombat
12-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Whats the link to the West Virginia forum?

Nappy Roots
12-08-2006, 12:03 AM
if i was Rodriguez i would of stayed there 1 more year. they have a great shot at the championship next year .

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Look closley at Rich Rods hand in the air after us winning the sugar bowl last season. should have known this would have happened to us

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Nappy Roots
12-08-2006, 12:14 AM
looks fake to me

305TillIDie
12-08-2006, 12:15 AM
photoshop like a motha****a

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 12:15 AM
it is...lol

www.mountaineernation.net (http://www.mountaineernation.net)

Im a member, nice site

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 12:16 AM
HEY 305, WHEN I FIND OUT WHO OUR NEW COACH IS, IM GONNA GET YOU TO MAKE ME A SIG JUST LIKE YOURS aight?...lol

305TillIDie
12-08-2006, 12:21 AM
HEY 305, WHEN I FIND OUT WHO OUR NEW COACH IS, IM GONNA GET YOU TO MAKE ME A SIG JUST LIKE YOURS aight?...lol:lol:

no doubt :hi5:

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 12:26 AM
This is the first time WVU is in unchartered waters. We don neheln retired he gave us warning. This time, we had no idea, and probply have to get our O-cordinator to coach us until we get a replacment

Rich Rod is a *** bag!

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 12:28 AM
By the way, i got your boy johnny dingles autograph after the rutgers game. I asked him if he was a dolphins fan. He just laughed... Not sure why though..lol

DeathStar
12-08-2006, 12:29 AM
2 million bucks a year.

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Am I missing where Rodriguez actually accepted the job? WVU should just match the offer and hope he stays

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 12:31 AM
yes you are.... He's accepting it tommorow morning. He's going to be making 1 million more a year there than he does here in WV. Our athletics director even said they'll put millions of dolllars into the football facilites if he stays

DeathStar
12-08-2006, 12:39 AM
The Birmingham News reported on its website late Thursday that Rodriguez was offered more than $2 million a year with incentives and would have one of the highest-paid coaching staffs in the Southeastern Conference.
http://sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9857130

lots of pressure down there in bama to turn the team around. lots of pressure.

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 12:40 AM
yes you are.... He's accepting it tommorow morning. He's going to be making 1 million more a year there than he does here in WV. Our athletics director even said they'll put millions of dolllars into the football facilites if he stays

your link says

Despite a frenzy of published reports to the contrary, Rich Rodriguez remained West Virginia’s football coach Thursday night and apparently had not decided what to do with an offer to coach Alabama’s football team that was presented to him earlier in the day.
Amid reports — mostly by Web sites based in Alabama — that went so far as to say a press conference to introduce him had been scheduled today in Tuscaloosa, by mid-evening Thursday Rodriguez had not responded one way or another to the Tide.

Rodriguez did not respond to phone calls Thursday and, in fact, even went so far as to turn off the voice mail on his cell phone. But sources close to the West Virginia coach said that as of Thursday evening Rodriguez hadn’t even had a chance to discuss the situation with his family. Nor has Rodriguez even visited the Alabama campus, which those close to him insist he would do at least once before committing to any move.

And I know he's going to make 1 mill more at Alabama, but why doesnt WVU just give him a raise and try to keep him. Unless he really wants to leave.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 12:41 AM
No clue, im stumped on that one also to be honest with you

But i've read numerous newspaper articles that sais he's signing with them tommorow

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 12:42 AM
That would be a big raise though, WVU probably couldnt offer that much.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Birmingham News: Rodriguez Accepts Alabama Offer
MetroNews Sports
Morgantown

According to a story posted Thursday evening at The Birmingham News website, “University of Alabama officials and West Virginia’s Rich Rodriguez have reached an agreement in principle for Rodriguez to become the Crimson Tide’s next head football coach, two sources close to the search told The Birmingham News tonight.”

To link to The Birmingham News story CLICK HERE (http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/breaking/index.ssf?/mtlogs/bama_bhamnews_extra/archives/2006_12.html#213303)

In addition, The Birmingham News said, “Alabama officials are confident Rodriguez will sign his deal Friday morning, sources said, because the two sides have agreed on all economic and non economic issues.”

The Birmingham News said Rodriguez will make over $2 million per year plus incentives and will have on of the highest-paid coaching staffs in the Southeastern Conference.

Sources at West Virginia had told MetroNews earlier Thursday that WVU officials were trying to put together a counter offer for Rodriguez, but if The Birmingham News story is correct, Rodriguez did not accept the Mountaineers’ proposal.

here ya go

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 12:47 AM
here ya go

thx

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 12:49 AM
I dont know what else to say. Im just very upset with this situation....

Coral Reefer
12-08-2006, 12:59 AM
No clue, im stumped on that one also to be honest with you

But i've read numerous newspaper articles that sais he's signing with them tommorow

It's simple

Better program
Better conference
Schedule includes playing legit ranked teams giving a much better shot at playing for a Natl. Title.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Do you realize how long it will take him to get the "spread offense" to work there. He's been working on it here for 3 years and just perfected it not to long ago. and with the opponents he'll be playing down there, he'll be lucky to win 6 games next season

finswin56
12-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Do you realize how long it will take him to get the "spread offense" to work there. He's been working on it here for 3 years and just perfected it not to long ago. and with the opponents he'll be playing down there, he'll be lucky to win 6 games next season
Sounds like it will take him 2-3 years. Maybe less since Alabama will get better recruits than WV, and those recruits will have seen what Rich did at WV. I bet he cleans house this year in recruiting.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 01:30 AM
what the heck is going on??? No one knows what the hell is going on. There saying RR was not even in any negotiations today and he will be faxed a copy of the contract in MoTown Friday morning.

[QUOTE]
The University of Alabama appeared to move closer to hiring West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez on Thursday night. While day-long negotiations in Tuscaloosa between the two sides did not conclude with an agreement, the university will deliver a contract to Rodriguez on Friday morning, representatives of both sides said Thursday night.

Both sides denied Thursday night media reports that a deal had been made in principle, largely because an important member of the negotiations -- Rodriguez himself -- had yet to participate in them.

Rodriguez spent the day in Jacksonville, Fla., where he participated in a press conference to promote the Toyota Gator Bowl between the Mountaineers and Georgia Tech on Jan. 1.

Rodriguez returned to Morgantown, W.Va., on Thursday night and will have the contract faxed to him on Friday morning.

Alabama athletic director Mal Moore, senior associate athletic director Finus Gaston and university attorneys spent the day meeting in Tuscaloosa with Rodriguez's representative, Mike Brown.

Though the university made inquiries into the availability of South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier and Miami Dolphins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia) coach Nick Saban, Rodriguez is the first coach with whom Moore entered serious discussion. Though Rodriguez won the Big East Conference championship and the Sugar Bowl last season, the most important day of his career will be Friday. The 43-year-old Rodriguez will decide whether to leave his alma mater and his home state to take on one of the most pressurized jobs in college football.

West Virginia increased Rodriguez's salary to $1.1 million last summer. The terms of his contract include a $2 million payment to the university should he leave before Aug. 31, 2007.

Sources told ESPN's Joe Schad that Alabama extended a six-year, $12 million offer to Rodriguez, and Alabama would also pay West Virginia a $2 million buyout. The proposed deal would make Rodriguez among the top 10 highest-paid college coaches in the nation, doubling his current salary.

The Birmingham News reported on its Web site late Thursday that Rodriguez was offered more than $2 million a year with incentives and would have one of the highest-paid coaching staffs in the Southeastern Conference.

The newspaper, citing anonymous sources, said Alabama officials expected him to sign the deal on Friday.

However, West Virginia tailback Steve Slaton, in Orlando to attend Thursday night's Home Depot College Football Awards Show at Walt Disney World Resort, told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach that Rodriguez told his team he's not going anywhere.

Kev83
12-08-2006, 01:44 AM
Let's see how it pans out...

Rich "Roll Tide" Rodriguez. Roll Rod Roll! I love the sound of that.

He's one of the few coaches than can make me forget about the Shula situation. I'm hoping the press have it right on this one, but the way Birmingham media have covered this has been amateur at best.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Love that sig, but he hasnt signed the papers saying he's going. and i'd trust espn over somebody down there in "roll tide" country any day. and from what espn sais, there faxing him the thing tommorow and he'll speak to his family and such. But his wife doesent want to leave. WVU may up his anual pay to get him to stay also. We'll just have to see how this turns out

HysterikiLL
12-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Rodriguez is an alum of WVU. He walked-on to the football team. Now he's turned them into a powerhouse. It just seems like the great story for him to stay, and it doesn't make sense for him to leave, even if he's getting offered more money.

IMO, if WVU matched the offer, he'd stay in a heart beat. Then again, I don't really know RichRod.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 02:42 AM
Thats what he was waiting on, for them to match the price. But WVU may not do it. But they will spend millions of dollars to add on to the football facility... So, its looking better for us WVU fans... Especially after reading this

However, West Virginia tailback Steve Slaton, in Orlando to attend Thursday night's Home Depot College Football Awards Show at Walt Disney World Resort, told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach that Rodriguez told his team he's not going anywhere.

Kev83
12-08-2006, 03:34 AM
umm.....I saw ESPN's report. It had his face with an Alabama hat on.
Just saying what I saw and what ESPN confirmed.

Watch Sportscenter!

Timmy54
12-08-2006, 11:15 AM
not like he could return to WVU now anyway, too much pup on this move, his team wouldnt trust him and the fans would be showing him the door.

Bumpus
12-08-2006, 11:28 AM
:fire: :blowup: :wall: :barf: :yell: :what: :hmph: :crying: :cry:
This sucks.

It appears that Mr. "I'll-be-here-as-long-as-they'll-have-me" has decided otherwise.

As disgusted as I am about this ... if WVU is not willing/able to match the offer - who are we (the WVU fans) to tell him not to take a job that pays him twice the loot ...

See ya coach, I wish you well.

(the search begins)

rdhstlr23
12-08-2006, 11:42 AM
I hear Bobby Pruett is looking for a job??

Timmy54
12-08-2006, 11:56 AM
wonder if they might go after Coker, he is a great recruiter!! maybe up in morgantown he wont have all the off the feild problems. just a thought.

Stitches
12-08-2006, 12:01 PM
wonder if they might go after Coker, he is a great recruiter!! maybe up in morgantown he wont have all the off the feild problems. just a thought.

They could go after Bill Cubit. Brian Kelly took the Cincy job, so WV would have some info in him right off the bat.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Larry coker, head of recruiting... I wouldnt have a propblem with that. Just keep him off the field and away from the players

Motion
12-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Larry coker, head of recruiting... I wouldnt have a propblem with that. Just keep him off the field and away from the players

That could be difficult. Great logic though.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Out West, the Arizona State search seems to be warming up with news that a list has been narrowed to six -- Mike Price (Texas El-Paso), Mike Riley (Oregon State), Steve Mariucci, Dennis Erickson (Idaho), Norm Chow (Tennessee Titans) and Mike Martz (Detroit Lions).

who knows who the next head coach will be. This article is out of morgantown, and it says Mike Price is the top cantidate..Who the hell is mike price?

Motion
12-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Mike Price is the guy that got fired from Alabama for being at a strip club back before they hired Shula.

finswin56
12-08-2006, 02:23 PM
This thing is getting pretty exciting.
Rodriguez and WV are negotiating.
It isn't a done deal yet.

finswin56
12-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Mike Price is the guy that got fired from Alabama for being at a strip club back before they hired Shula.Stupid mistake, but the guy is a great coach.

Stitches
12-08-2006, 02:25 PM
I hope they don't get Erickson. He's doing some things in Idaho. I mean it would really hurt the program to lose him.

finswin56
12-08-2006, 03:10 PM
ESPN is reporting that Rodriguez has been given a 3 pm deadline by Alabama.

Kev83
12-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah, this is getting big...the more the clock ticks, the more it looks like Rod will stay and make my sig a bit premature.

Here's to hope, though.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 03:15 PM
45 minutes my man.... hope you didnt make that sig a little to quickly

oh well, larry coker is out of a job ya know..lol

Motion
12-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Ah, how quickly our tones change.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 03:19 PM
I dont know how, but honest to God, i think he's going to stay at WVU

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 03:27 PM
All the info now looks to as if Rich Rod is staying

Kev83
12-08-2006, 03:39 PM
All the info is up in the air...
looks like bama offered 2.2 a year, doubling his contract.
looks like WV is offering around 1.7 mil and upgrading some facilities.

Stitches
12-08-2006, 03:42 PM
All the info is up in the air...
looks like bama offered 2.2 a year, doubling his contract.
looks like WV is offering around 1.7 mil and upgrading some facilities.

They'd upgrade the facilites regardless thugh.

Kev83
12-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Rich Rod stays. Congrats WV fans on keeping a great coach.

Joneal7
12-08-2006, 04:19 PM
looks like coach rod is staying....goood!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-08-2006, 04:27 PM
wow, that completely changed fast.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 04:31 PM
has it been confirmed that he's staying yet?

Motion
12-08-2006, 04:33 PM
has it been confirmed that he's staying yet?
:yes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2690016

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6250042

Cuban Dave 9
12-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Damn...y'all too quick for me...I was gonna post this

Stitches
12-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Damn you Crimson Tide, how'd you **** it up this time? You're moving down my list here, not that I have a replacement.

Motion
12-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Well thats 3 candidates down. They kinda deserve this IMO, axed Shula way too soon.

Stitches
12-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Well thats 3 candidates down. They kinda deserve this IMO, axed Shula way too soon.

Yea, he needed at least one more year. It's all because Auburn has been so dominant recently.

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 04:57 PM

Guess I wasnt missing where he'd accepted the job after all?

finswin56
12-08-2006, 04:57 PM
So, who's next?

tucker
12-08-2006, 04:59 PM
it wouldnt have made sense for him to leave...

Cuban Dave 9
12-08-2006, 04:59 PM
So, who's next?
Bernie Kosar

Stitches
12-08-2006, 05:00 PM
So, who's next?

Jim Harbaugh.

Cool Calm Mike
12-08-2006, 05:01 PM
LOL. He turned it down too?

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 05:04 PM
OMG!!!! I LOVE RICH RODRIGUEZ!!!!!!
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/12/rodnohs5-1.jpg

Motion
12-08-2006, 05:12 PM
:lol: I love how the WV fans were all ready to throw him under the bus and bashing him before he even accepted the job, now all the sudden he's the man!

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 05:14 PM
You dont know the whole story. He basically said he'll stay at WVU til he dies. Not exactly like that, but thats what he ment. Then he's going into negeotiations with bama' and we got worried. Then numerous reports came and said he was bama's new head coach last night and earlier today

Thats why we react how we did

Motion
12-08-2006, 05:16 PM
You dont know the whole story. He basically said he'll stay at WVU til he dies. Not exactly like that, but thats what he ment. Then he's going into negeotiations with bama' and we got worried. Then numerous reports came and said he was bama's new head coach last night and earlier today

Thats why we react how we did

You assume I don't know the whole story. I don't live that far away from Morgantown, I hear all about it.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Well like i said, if you knew the whole story, you wouldnt be saying that. and considering you said you know the whole story. You'd know why we were angry

Motion
12-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Well like i said, if you knew the whole story, you wouldnt be saying that. and considering you said you know the whole story. You'd know why we were angry

No I don't know why you would get so angry when nothing was made official. Don't twist the story.

Kev83
12-08-2006, 05:22 PM
The problem at Alabama lies in the AD & I know they're shocked by this ordeal.
Personally, I don't know who the powers will bring in...but I can't think of anyone worth a crap. I want nothing to do with Jim Grobe, Leach, or Kragthorpe. That's C list at best.
Alabama can not get an A list coach right now. The only thing I can think of is go after Jimbo Fisher, the OC at LSU and keep the rest of Bama's staff. Make Fisher or DC the HC for a period and just focus on winning.

On a civil note, congrats on keeping your coach WV fans.
On a real note, I want to punch Flounder in the face for his sig. I would've done the same, though.

That is all.

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 05:22 PM
No I don't know why you would get so angry when nothing was made official. Don't twist the story.

I tried that line of reasoning last night

Stitches
12-08-2006, 05:23 PM

Because they are actually doing good, and the fans are frightened they'd lose that. They had to pick a scape goat quick, just in case they did.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Get it twisted? I freaking went to a bama newspaper and they had rich rodriguez in an alabama hat and saying "He's ours"

You've got to be kidding me on saying i took it to far

Stitches
12-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Get it twisted? I freaking went to a bama newspaper and they had rich rodriguez in an alabama hat and saying "He's ours"

Honestly, the only newspaper I would trust 100% is the Wall Street Journal.

I certainly wouldn't trust an online newspaper with an agenda.

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 05:42 PM

When the only link is a bama paper, same one that said Saban was getting the job probably, you should question it. If ESPN and other places arent picking it up it hasnt happened.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 06:46 PM
It was on ESPN to, something to the effect of ( Bama Finds new head coach)

I saved the link, im looking for it right now

Roman529
12-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Bama is never happy with their coaches...I guess they think someone is going to come along to make them forget about Bear Bryant. I wouldn't want to coach there under that kind of pressure. That is probably why Saban said NO.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 07:02 PM
I agree, no coach is going to be able to come in there first year and win a national championship (except coker) and look at him now

Vertical Limit
12-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Rich Rodriguez Says No Thanks TO ALABAMA.

rdhstlr23
12-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Good move by Rich Rodriguez. I think his best chance of vying for a National Championship is with WVU, rather than Alabama. It's always nice to hear guys shun away teams because he wanted to stay at his alma mater or where he "built things". Although, it was more about money, it's still nice.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 07:39 PM
basically lol

He played alabama like a fiddle

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 07:41 PM
"This is the day the Big East arrived. Not when WVU beat Louisville, not when Louisville beat Miami, not when WVU won the Sugar Bowl, but today, December 8th, 2006, the day WVU's head coach turned down Alabama. When you turn down Alabama, you have arrived."

Lee corso, that sais alot

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Think about it. He had his chance to make more money, go to a program that had a better recruitment and everything else. He obviously did this to put WVU in the spotlight, do you realize how much airtime this whole scenero got? all kinds, and now kids are saying "Well if he turned down bama, they must have a heck of a program up there in Morgantown" He milked this for everything it was worth. Plus he got them to up his pay and get new additions for the football facility. Do you think this all was done intentionally? hell yes i do

rdhstlr23
12-08-2006, 07:48 PM
"This is the day the Big East arrived. Not when WVU beat Louisville, not when Louisville beat Miami, not when WVU won the Sugar Bowl, but today, December 8th, 2006, the day WVU's head coach turned down Alabama. When you turn down Alabama, you have arrived."

Lee corso, that sais alot
Just personally, I take what Lee Corso says with a grain of salt. He's a talking head like Sean Salisbury. Both guys are very smart, but say things for reactions.

I think he did it intentionally. It's a smart, business move. It does a great deal to help put WVU back on the map. It only speeds the train up, because that train started after beating UGA in the Sugar Bowl last year. Things can only continue to get better for WVU, especially with improved athletic facilities. I've said it before, Rodriguez is extremely intelligent. Does that mean I like him, no. But, I certainly respect him.

FLOUNDER
12-08-2006, 10:17 PM
I feel bad for Alabama fans, but I don't feel the least bit bad for the administration. Years of unrealistic expectations have finally caught up to them. They get rid a coach that went 10-2 last year and wasn't that bad. Now they try to buy their way back into the college elite, by throwing their weight around, trying to pick on a school with less money, and trying to take away the best asset our school has.

They are like the rich kid down the street who has everything, but is not happy until he has taken the only one possession of value you have.

ZolarZ_GoPhins
12-09-2006, 12:14 AM
I think Coach Rod was just looking to get the compensation he deserved for the job he is doing at WVU. He wanted to stay there and I feel that he will stay there untill he retires as long as WVU gives him to tools necessary to run a top notch college football program.

When Coach Rod got the job he wasn't the hot coach he is now. He was an up and comer and got a fair contract for what he offered the team. He is now a top 25 coach in the NCAA easily. He deserved to be fairly compensated for his efforts. I believe he also wanted his Assistants to get better pay as well. I am willing to bet that there is also a pay increase coming their way was well. The facilities were also a major issue for him.

He was near the bottom for BigEast coaches salary. He was also well out of the top 25 pay in NCAA coaches. WVU can't pay him the top dollar but they definatly could have done better, which they did. It is really bad that it had to come to this for him to get the compensation he deserved.

It was rough for me as a fan during the past few weeks. It was reported on the local MSN radio that he had accepted the Alabama job, then Coach called in and basically berated the announcers. I then felt Coach Rod was here to stay, then this week it all happened again and it looked like a done deal. I was prepared to move on and was more angry at WVU for not putting up the cash then Coach Rod for leaving. Now it is all good and hopefully this is done for a long time.

Now go out there and get us some players on D for next year and we can make a run for the National Championship.

Welcome back Coach Rod, It felt like you never left..... :wink:

Bumpus
12-11-2006, 11:21 AM
:fire: :blowup: :wall: :barf: :yell: :what: :hmph: :crying: :cry:
This sucks.

It appears that Mr. "I'll-be-here-as-long-as-they'll-have-me" has decided otherwise.

As disgusted as I am about this ... if WVU is not willing/able to match the offer - who are we (the WVU fans) to tell him not to take a job that pays him twice the loot ...

See ya coach, I wish you well.

(the search begins)
:D
Ahhh...

What a difference a weekend makes.