PDA

View Full Version : Operation Draft Troy Smith

phinfanfrommd
12-08-2006, 03:53 AM
Am i the only person that thinks Troy Smith will be good in the NFL? Many people think hes to short to play, i think he has a better arm than legs, bring him to miami, get someone young to sling it to chambers and booker. think of the possibilites...."smith scrambles out of the pocket, he dumps it off to brown..."

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 03:56 AM
pass

phinfanfrommd
12-08-2006, 04:05 AM
brohms another good one

Regan21286
12-08-2006, 04:23 AM
Pass

HurriPhin
12-08-2006, 04:24 AM
No thanks. Next.... :rolleyes2

SR 7
12-08-2006, 04:55 AM
No thanks. Next.... :rolleyes2

hope yo uguys know miami isnt lookin for a pocket passer. they want a mobile/scrambler like Gerrard. its been kinda OBVIOUS as saban has talked only about QB's of that nature.

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 05:05 AM
hope yo uguys know miami isnt lookin for a pocket passer. they want a mobile/scrambler like Gerrard. its been kinda OBVIOUS as saban has talked only about QB's of that nature.

Great, but that doesnt mean we need to draft Smith

DUB
12-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Am i the only person that thinks Troy Smith will be good in the NFL? Many people think hes to short to play, i think he has a better arm than legs, bring him to miami, get someone young to sling it to chambers and booker. think of the possibilites...."smith scrambles out of the pocket, he dumps it off to brown..."

A mobile qb that has a throw first mentality and can read defenses, pass. OOPS I MEAN SIGN ME UP!!:cooldude:

Shouright
12-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Why the hell would we want a fast, mobile, very elusive guy with a very strong, accurate arm who stays very poised and focused in the big game and leads his team to an undefeated record and the National Championship game? And he's only as tall as Drew Brees or Mark Brunell, you know, those two QBs who've had terrible pro careers. And after all, our QB position is extremely settled and certain right now.

Pass....

:lol: :rolleyes:

WPBtoRNOFinFan
12-08-2006, 06:04 AM
Hell, I could throw for that many yards if I had Ted Ginn and Gonzo to throw to and that o-line blocking for me.

Shouright
12-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Hell, I could throw for that many yards if I had Ted Ginn and Gonzo to throw to and that o-line blocking for me.His passing yardage is actually the least impressive thing about him. He's averaged only 208 passing yards per game this year.

It's his 67% accuracy, his 8.4 yards per attempt, his 30 to 5 TD to INT ratio, his speed, mobility, and elusiveness outside the pocket, his very strong arm, and his ability to stay poised and focused and carry a team in the big game (a spread offense with an empty backfield was used through most of the Michigan game) that's most impressive IMO.

And he's the focal point for the defenses that face him. He doesn't have any OJ Simpson back there with him drawing the defense's attention away from him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=133648

jlfin
12-08-2006, 07:08 AM

Pass

Shouright
12-08-2006, 07:11 AM
So far we have 11 replies and exactly zero of them give any rationale for why taking Smith would be a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Pretty soon it's gonna be "pass" on this thread because of its lack of quality. :chuckle:

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 07:18 AM
1. Not sold completely on Troy Smith
2. Definitely not sold on him being worth taking when we'll pick in round 1
3. Not sold on drafting a QB in round 1 (unless Quinn/Brohm fall)

PhinfanUK
12-08-2006, 07:19 AM
I agree. With the lack of talent on our O-line, a mobile Quarterback would be a good idea.

Question- Why is everyone so high on Smith? What about Jamarcus Russell, similar physical tools but taller.

The main thing about these two guys is that they look to throw first, they aren't Mike Vick. Look at the success Vince Young is having at the moment, I'd love Miami to have a piece of that on our offense.

Also, who better for either Smith or Russell to learn behind for a season or two than Culpepper? Another successful throw first QB who is a threat to run.

cnc66
12-08-2006, 07:34 AM

prolly not, but then there were a hundred that beleive alabama too. We have greater needs

Shouright
12-08-2006, 08:02 AM
prolly not, but then there were a hundred that beleive alabama too. We have greater needsWe have a QB who's currently looking like every bit the bust he was in Detroit, and another who looked terrible when he played and is now so crippled he's getting surgery and can't even practice. But we have bigger needs? :confused:

kingfin23
12-08-2006, 08:07 AM
If he,s there in the 3rd round,Why not

Shouright
12-08-2006, 08:08 AM
If he,s there in the 3rd round,Why notHe won't be. He's on Mel Kiper's top 25 board, for example.

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 08:26 AM
He won't be. He's on Mel Kiper's top 25 board, for example.

I'd take him in the 2nd probably, though I think like you do that his stock is going to sky rocket soon:)

Furious Yellow
12-08-2006, 08:32 AM
What about Jamarcus Russell, similar physical tools but taller.

Also, who better for either Smith or Russell to learn behind for a season or two than Culpepper? Another successful throw first QB who is a threat to run.
I would love to have JR here.. He seems to have huge upside but would probably have to sit and learn for a year or two (but then again, they said the same about V. Young..).

Best case scenario is that Daunte is ready to go and JR can sit and learn.

The biggest problem I see is that some people have him going as the second QB after Quinn, and I think he'll be gone by the time we pick.
Also, I'm not completely hooked on taking a QB that high yet.. We still have a lot of other holes to fill...

Oh.. And I love this quote from his Scout.com profile:

Throws the ball with such velocity he has been known to break the fingers of his wide receivers
OUCH!! :D

endorPHINS72
12-08-2006, 08:53 AM
I don't think anyone is doubting Smith's work ethic or leadership. I just don't think spending a first round pick on him would be a good idea for the Dolphins this year.

Dmarino110
12-08-2006, 09:15 AM

What happens with scramblers? They get hurt, a lot more often then pocket QBs. I like a QB who can move but I think its time to go back to a pocket passer.

Raekwon The Che
12-08-2006, 09:15 AM
He isn't worth it. He is still a project in the NFL, he doesn't have the potential of a Vince Young or the mechanics/ability of a Matt Leinart/Brady Quinn type. You throw out stats like that would provide support for the argument, but what about his actual play? He has explosive receivers, a great defense that for some reason is still being underrated compared to the offense and two great RBs in his backfield. I wouldn't draft Troy Smith to a team with offensive woes and think he's going to surge the offense to point of greatness because honestly the "it" factor isn't there.

2413fanphins
12-08-2006, 10:11 AM
this isn't the first time I have brought up jamarcus russel in some of my threads, I like him quite a bit better than quinn and smith. Jamarus russel imho is a spittin image of DC. big guy, mobile and can throw a great ball.
saban should like him being a lsu guy. We could groom him under cpep for a year or five years depending on how Dc comes out.
for the record he had scar tissue removed in his last surgery, something that generally happens and should have been expected to happen.
UNLESS YOU JUST POST MEANINGLESS JARGON TO SHOW HOW NOT SPORTS MEDICINE KNOWLEDGEABLE AND IGNORANT YOU ARE.
I'm not gonna turn this into another joey lover, dc hater thread lord knows we have way too many of them, but you said it like he had another major repair surgery and blah blah blah.

We do have some major needs, but a good young QB would be a good start for building. hopefully he doesn't go too high, although I think he will.
we also need a stud WR and obviously some OL help.
blalock, thomas, long or that center from west virginia could all be available when we pick in the first.
than again we might go LB or DB, but something tells me it's gonna be an offensive guy in the first this year.

PyroDOLFAN
12-08-2006, 10:31 AM
How about that QB from Iowa?

Tate would be awsome for the Organization. He would give us the urgency to win and do the most on Offence on every play. His will to win is amazing.

Silverphin
12-08-2006, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't take Troy Smith unless he falls to the second or third. But that is only because I wouldn't want to draft a QB in the first. Not this year.

KingCrowder
12-08-2006, 10:48 AM

i would rather move this franchise forward instead of backward.

Trackstar
12-08-2006, 10:48 AM
So far we have 11 replies and exactly zero of them give any rationale for why taking Smith would be a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Pretty soon it's gonna be "pass" on this thread because of its lack of quality. :chuckle:

Hey, I'm not arguing whether Smith is a great QB or not. I think he's pretty darn good myself. However, for Miami to spend a first round pick on him would be foolish and a complete mis-allocation of roster improvement resources (Draft picks, money, etc.). We have not given Daunte a fair shot. Now before you shoot this down by saying "I'm sick of giving QB's second chances in Miami" hear me out.

Remember, Willis Mcgahee took his entire rookie season off to rehabilitate his knee. We gave Daunte about 8 months. We rushed him into the lineup when he clearly was not ready. The logical thing to do would be to give Daunte a legitimate shot to prove he's the QB who threw for 40+ touchdowns in 2004.
When healthy and coached, he's our best option since Marino. As far as the Draft pick goes. O-line O-line O-line! We need a dominant LT to anchor this line. Maybe even a shut down DB in the first round.

Crowder52
12-08-2006, 10:57 AM
this isn't the first time I have brought up jamarcus russel in some of my threads, I like him quite a bit better than quinn and smith. Jamarus russel imho is a spittin image of DC. big guy, mobile and can throw a great ball.

He certainly is a spitting image of Daunte, meaning he is a physical freak with all the talent in the world, but mistake prone and will never be a QB who can take his team to the Super Bowl.

Crowder52
12-08-2006, 10:58 AM
As far as the Draft pick goes. O-line O-line O-line! We need a dominant LT to anchor this line. Maybe even a shut down DB in the first round.

Completely agree with this assessment.

clbrazee
12-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Sorry, but, there generally is not need for 5" 11" QBs in the NFL. He might be a safety or corner.

DUB
12-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Why the hell would we want a fast, mobile, very elusive guy with a very strong, accurate arm who stays very poised and focused in the big game and leads his team to an undefeated record and the National Championship game? And he's only as tall as Drew Brees or Mark Brunell, you know, those two QBs who've had terrible pro careers. And after all, our QB position is extremely settled and certain right now.

Pass....

:lol: :rolleyes:

LOVE IT.

PhinSoldia
12-08-2006, 11:17 AM
you know i actually like the idea i would pick him in the third round and give him the time he needs behind Daunte....if the Daunte experiment is belly up( in two years) we play him... if Daunte plays with the fire we want him to...we use smith as trade bait

Vertical Limit
12-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Pass

jk.. I just felt like saying that. :D I like Troy.

fInbred
12-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Pass. Let's go with a QB at QB instead of an "athletic freak". Smith, Quinn, and Brohm are all overrated. I think Brohm has the best NFL potential, but none of them impress me much. People get caught up in the hype because of how good their teams are. I don't think any of their individual skills will translate well behind a bad offensive line going against good NFL defenses. I'm just not that crazy about any of the top QBs coming out next draft. Unless Joey cuts the picks, or Daunte can play at the level he was playing at a few years ago, we may still have an issue in that spot for a couple more years.

number13
12-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I watched him every game this year and he will make a great QB in the pros. He not only is very athletic but when he throws the ball, its like its on a rope with a perfect spiral. IMO he is awesome!

SuperBowlin07
12-08-2006, 12:29 PM
brohms another good one
better choice... if we can get him in the second round. We have much more pressing issues than at QB right now.

Mcganiel
12-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Too Short!

PhinFan0202
12-08-2006, 02:07 PM
How about that QB from Iowa?

Tate would be awsome for the Organization. He would give us the urgency to win and do the most on Offence on every play. His will to win is amazing.

He's like 5'10, he would barely be able to see over the O-line. I thought about this in the beginning of the season but i got a chance to see him play a little more and IMO i don't think he's going to be a starter in the NFL.

malzj
12-08-2006, 02:18 PM
If he drops to the second round, then ya, take him. But we have more pressing needs. He's going to win the Heisman, I can't believe there's even talk of him falling past the first.

ManBearPig
12-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I think we need to see what Culpepper looks like at 100 percent before we draft a quarterback high in the draft. Even if we would draft a quarterback, i would take quinn and brohm over him.

jlfin
12-08-2006, 03:11 PM
better choice... if we can get him in the second round. We have much more pressing issues than at QB right now.

Not so sure about that right now.

jlfin
12-08-2006, 03:12 PM
If he drops to the second round, then ya, take him. But we have more pressing needs. He's going to win the Heisman, I can't believe there's even talk of him falling past the first.

Winning the Heisman has absolutely nothing to do with NFL success, ESPECIALLY, at the QB position.

Motion
12-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Winning the Heisman has absolutely nothing to do with NFL success, ESPECIALLY, at the QB position.

:yeahthat:

bigchub22
12-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Pass

SpencerFS
12-08-2006, 05:35 PM
draft him next donovon mcnabb

phinfanfrommd
12-08-2006, 06:08 PM
i say we draft gonzalez first round than smith later, that would completely change the offense. I think Gonzalez might be better talent than Ginn if he plays to his highest ability. Hes fast as sh**, very underrate. Imagine if Smith had the option to throw to Chambers, McMicahel, Booker, and Gonzo, with Welker taking his turns (we all know he has trouble being in the spotlight sometimes), great change of face....

im just day dreamin...

phinfanfrommd
12-08-2006, 06:09 PM
but than fire Saban....

.....shhh dont tell other finheaven members they dont like that

straitg2nite
12-08-2006, 06:45 PM
No one was sold on vince young.. all i heard was oooo look his wonderlick test is so low,he';s a dummy. oooo.. Look at him now.. The titans have a bigger upside now than we'll ever have in a few more years!!! and yall wish deep down in ur hearts that he could be our qb..so please give me a break. i'd take Smith any day. Here's one for Smith

ojmcduffy
12-08-2006, 06:47 PM
maybe off topic a bit but i live in louisville and the local media has basically stated brohm will return for his senior year. the running back micheal bush maybe be eligible if he skips his senior year

phins3454
12-08-2006, 07:12 PM
maybe off topic a bit but i live in louisville and the local media has basically stated brohm will return for his senior year. the running back micheal bush maybe be eligible if he skips his senior year

Yeah I heard he plans on staying for his senior year. I say we see what happens next year with Culpepper then next year we draft Brian Brohm...to me he seems like a real NFL prospect

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah I heard he plans on staying for his senior year. I say we see what happens next year with Culpepper then next year we draft Brian Brohm...to me he seems like a real NFL prospect

We'd need a top 5 pick next year to get Brohm so drafting him might not be that easy.

phins3454
12-08-2006, 07:25 PM
We'd need a top 5 pick next year to get Brohm so drafting him might not be that easy.

Well....we can just lose on purpose then I guess lol
Saban would lose his job but least we will have Brohm :dolphins:

Roman529
12-08-2006, 07:42 PM
pass

oodolphins
12-08-2006, 07:55 PM

No way in _ _ _ _ !!!!!

K-BayFinFan
12-08-2006, 11:03 PM
you r joking right? cause thats a good 1:sidelol:

musphinzfan
12-09-2006, 04:35 PM
i like him reminds me of a brees type only faster

TexanPhinatic
12-10-2006, 01:22 AM
People on this board seem to hate on QBs for no logical reason.
Smith has been awesome for Ohio State in much the same way Vince Young excelled for the Texans, but Id say Smith is a better passer while Young is the better runner.

Why WOULDNT we want that kind of player here? A guy who can read a defense, make a throw, scramble effectively, LEAD, not make assinine mistakes and is young. This guy is the total package. The only negative I ever hear about him is that hes short. Well, that may be, but look what Brees is doing. Is he to short?? Give me a break.

With QB a total tossup situation right now, we need some longterm stability and Smith is a guy who could bring that to us, as well as Brohm, but it seems he might stay in college.

Stop hating the QBs.

COMEBACKRICKY
12-10-2006, 01:55 AM
when do yall think JR will go in the draft, what round? if hes there in the third -wishful thinking- i think thats a good pick up. i doubt smith will fall outta the first round.

TexanPhinatic
12-10-2006, 02:20 AM
I assume you mean Jamarcus Russel?? If so I have seen early mocks with him going in the first as well, so Id say he prolly wont make it out of the second round. I see him as second tier along with Stanton from Mich St.

If Smith falls out of the first, I think he goes early second-to many teams in the first 10 picks of each round with QB needs. Smith might be a reach at 5-10, but around 13 where we should be he would be perfect.

I see Russel as a good athlete, but I havent heard much about his game ability. Not a knock, just not that well versed on him :)

Majpain
12-11-2006, 01:24 AM
Hell, I could throw for that many yards if I had Ted Ginn and Gonzo to throw to and that o-line blocking for me.

No you couldnt.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-11-2006, 10:42 AM
i'll take smith.

please no one ever bring up russell as a possible draft pick. please don't.

Amars
12-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Why is everyone dogging on Smith. I bet everyone wanted Micheal Vick when he came out. Smith can run just as good as vick and is better passer. Also he's 2in TALLER then Vick so I dont want to hear that he's too short.