PDA

View Full Version : is anyone feeling the cubs this year..

allport30
12-08-2006, 05:32 PM
they have got a bunch of new players and who knows they might pull a detroit tigers and go from last to first who knows

GreenMonster
12-08-2006, 05:43 PM
No

The Confessor
12-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Whoa, besides spending WAY to much for a couple of marginal players....remember, this is the cubs we are talking about....

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 05:52 PM
No

allport30
12-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Whoa, besides spending WAY to much for a couple of marginal players....remember, this is the cubs we are talking about....

oh ya
d lee
a rameriez and
soriano

are all marginal :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

RWhitney014
12-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Ted Lilly
Mark DeRosa
Henry Blanco

It's never a good idea to spend $300 million in long-term contracts. Especially when they still just have only one legitimate starter.

Rocky Raccoon
12-08-2006, 07:34 PM
if they stay healthy they can be more competitive and MAYBE make soem noise, but I'm not really sure.

Vertical Limit
12-08-2006, 07:36 PM
If the Cubs stay healthy, Derek Lee will carry them to the postseason.

DonShula84
12-08-2006, 07:38 PM
I cant wait to see how much Zambrano wants when they try to extend him after what they gave Lilly

FinsNYanksFan13
12-08-2006, 07:54 PM
It all comes down to their health. If Prior, Lee, and Wood stay healthy (a big if), they'll be in the mix to win the division, especially with Sweet Lou managing. If those guys go down again it's going to be the same old story with the Cubs. I mean the Cubs can't be to far off in that division considering the Cardinals won the division with what, 83 wins? and then went on to win the World Series!

unifiedtheory
12-08-2006, 09:10 PM
It all comes down to their health. If Prior, Lee, and Wood stay healthy (a big if), they'll be in the mix to win the division, especially with Sweet Lou managing. If those guys go down again it's going to be the same old story with the Cubs. I mean the Cubs can't be to far off in that division considering the Cardinals won the division with what, 83 wins? and then went on to win the World Series!

Well, seeing that Prior and Wood will have arm troubles before the end of April you can shot that idea down in flames...:lol::wink:

I don't see them doing a lot. Then again, it is the NL...anything can happen.

MikeO
12-09-2006, 12:59 AM

Wood is being moved to the BULLPEN to be the closer.

The guy can't pitch once every 5 days, now he might need to pitch 2 or 3 days in a row?? ha ha ha:lol: good luck!

The Confessor
12-09-2006, 01:21 AM
oh ya
d lee
a rameriez and
soriano

Not all, but paying what they did for Soriano is a SERIOUS reach. Lilly's contract is completly out of touch with reality.

The only difference between this years Cubs and the Yankees of any year is that at least the Yankees are overpaying guys with talent

PhinzN703
12-13-2006, 01:49 PM
oh ya
d lee
a rameriez and
soriano

Don't the Yankees have an All Star at each position? Not just 3. And where they have gotten the last few years?

Cubs suck

MikeO
12-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Don't the Yankees have an All Star at each position? Not just 3. And where they have gotten the last few years?

They win the division and are in the playoffs. That counts for something!!! My god, how many teams would cut off their left arm to be in the playoffs year after year after year....!!

GreenMonster
12-13-2006, 03:22 PM
I cant wait to see how much Zambrano wants when they try to extend him after what they gave Lilly

I agree this guy will command a kings ransom.. If I am Zambrano, I would wait till Free Agency, imagine how much the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, Rangers will be willing to throw at this guy..

RWhitney014
12-13-2006, 03:49 PM
They win the division and are in the playoffs. That counts for something!!! My god, how many teams would cut off their left arm to be in the playoffs year after year after year....!!

Talk about missing the point...

MikeO
12-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Talk about missing the point...

I didn't miss the point at all.

RWhitney014
12-14-2006, 01:59 AM
I didn't miss the point at all.

Nice comeback.

The point of the post was to very saliently and correctly point out that having an All Star team doesn't necessarily win championships. You took it as a slight to the Yankees by proving his point, that the Yankees' All Stars have not accomplished what their goal was.

phunwin
12-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Wow, it only took 15 posts for this to turn into a Yankees thread! Not sure if that's a new record, someone should look it up.

The Cubs will win 75 games at most. In other news, the sun will rise in the east and set in the west. They're basically trying to piece together a horribly mismatched team of big names with a whole bunch of money. That strategy has seldom worked, and isn't likely to start working now.

That said, I do like the core of their lineup: Soriano-Lee-Ramirez is a fearsome 3-4-5 combo. And Zambrano is one of the few bona fide #1 starters out there. Lilly's a decent #2 starter, and if Prior can actually stay healthy for once, they might not be too bad. But the rest of the team just isn't good.

PhinzN703
12-14-2006, 11:36 AM

No doubt the Yankees have a fantastic history. Best team in the history of the sport. But they dont play just to make the playoffs. You know that. Look at them and the Redskins. What do they have in common?

Just b/c Chicago picked up the traitor (Soriano) and a few other guys doesnt mean much. Hey they might contend, they might not. I say they wont but nuttier things happen.

I hate baseball b/c of the Yankees and Red Sox. They get to spend millions of dollars on everything. 50 mil just to talk to a guy? Look at Florida's payroll!! My Nats can't do a damn thing b/c there's no money.

Sounds fair

MikeO
12-14-2006, 02:31 PM
I hate baseball b/c of the Yankees and Red Sox. They get to spend millions of dollars on everything. 50 mil just to talk to a guy? Look at Florida's payroll!! My Nats can't do a damn thing b/c there's no money.

Sounds fair

Kansas City just gave Gil Meche a $55 mill contract!!!!!!!!!! It isn't just Boston or NY who spend millions and throw money away.

And Florida has money to spend. Be mad at the owner who won't spend when he has it to spend(he did give Delgado huge money 2 years ago)! Don't be mad at the owners who have it and spend it!!

Roman529
12-14-2006, 02:31 PM
The Cubs were always known as kind of a cheap organization, but they have finally opened up their wallets....but throwing money around won't get you better if you are signing up alot of has beens.

I wish the Cubs well and love to watch their games on WGN, but I think the fans who have waited for another title since 1905 are going to have to wait a while longer. :lol: