PDA

View Full Version : EA only using 20% of PS3 power?

Bruzer
12-08-2006, 09:43 PM
DO NOT turn this into a ps3 bashing thread...

"The whole industry knows it's been a challenge; the PS3's a very complex piece of equipment. On one hand it's a challenge, on the other hand there's tremendous potential in that box. I think it's going to take developers a little while to figure out how to unlock that power.

We've got games coming out now where we feel we've hit maybe 20 per cent of the potential of PlayStation 3. We know the power's there, but like any new platform it's going to take us a little bit of time to unleash it.

http://www.news4gamers.com/ps3/News-17300.aspx

If this is true I wonder whats to come of ps3?

TheAnswer385
12-08-2006, 10:01 PM
well how much of the 360s power are they using?

Bruzer
12-08-2006, 10:04 PM
They don't say. They are just stating because the system is complex they are not able to unlock its power and will take time.

Miami 13
12-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Using only 20%, and some of EA's games look about the same if not better than EA 360 games...

Phin-o-rama
12-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Pretty low for a CPU in developers hands for 21 months and a straightforward DX9 GPU

Majpain
12-09-2006, 02:24 AM
I seriously dfoubt its 20. Maybe 50-60%

I doubt the PS3 Graphics are going to be that great. Then again you might actually get what you pay for.

TheMageGandalf
12-09-2006, 03:03 AM
meh...

I think its all blah, blah, blah....

Snooping around that same site I came across this article which asks a Developer about what they think about the two giants and heres some snippets which basically outline what I said in a previous post about how both machines are basically the same. You've got one that can do somethings better and another that can do some other things better. Its up to the consumer to decide what is best for them.

<<One developer has publicly (http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm) (although anonymously) stated that Xbox 360 - in games programming terms - is the better machine as the GPU is more powerful, providing greater pixel and vertex processing horsepower. Do you concur at all? Is this really what it all comes down to?
The X360 GPU is slightly more flexible due to the subtle differences between the respective architectures of the nVidia and ATI chipset. Certain shader restrictions are lifted or easier to work around on X360. The bandwidth of the X360 GPU is pretty massive too, though partly this is balanced out by the differences in VRAM layout of the two systems that means the Xbox needs to move graphics data around the system more than the PS3 does. While the GPUs are fast and have a big impact on the visual quality and level of game effects, other factors such as general processing power and memory architecture also come into play.>>>

<<Is there anything you're able to do, visually, on PS3 that you can't on Xbox 360?

Certain procedural effects are easier to create on the PS3 because of the power of the SPEs. Effects like water simulations, especially when you move beyond simple surface effects to fluid dynamics require the kind of algorithms that are really suited to the CELL architecture. Having said that the slightly more flexible GPU and unified memory model on X360 allows some neat tricks that level the playing field somewhat. >>>

Heres the full article: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2006/12/07/ps3_vs_xbox_360_a_developer_speaks.html

COMEBACKRICKY
12-09-2006, 03:10 AM
yeah man, the relese games never look as good as games say... 2 years down the road. if they really are using only 20%, thats just straight up SCARY!