PDA

View Full Version : Questions for a Marine

phinfanfrommd
12-09-2006, 03:53 AM
My family is a big military family. They all are in the Navy. Im thinking of joining the Marines, because I understand that the efforts in the Iraq War are futile. I'm not a big guy: 5'9" 140 pounds. Im asking fellow Marines out there if I have a shot at making the rigorous physical requirments the Marines demand. I know I could walk through Navy training. Here are what I can do for the PFT tests:

push-ups: 50 in 2 minutes
pull-ups: dont know
3 mile run: 23:00
crunches: 45 in 2 minutes

Thanks guys. This is a very confusing time for me. I've been talking to alot of recruiters but I've found they can be rather fake. I need someones mentoring and help.

DonShula84
12-09-2006, 04:17 AM
Im thinking of joining the Marines, because I understand that the efforts in the Iraq War are futile.

I'm a little confused by that. But if you want some advice there are several active, and retired, soldiers who post in the PoFo, I'm sure they'd help you out if you sent them a pm. A_US_DS was/is a drill sergeant, he must know something about what you're asking

Quelonio
12-09-2006, 06:54 AM
My family is a big military family. They all are in the Navy. Im thinking of joining the Marines, because I understand that the efforts in the Iraq War are futile. I'm not a big guy: 5'9" 140 pounds. Im asking fellow Marines out there if I have a shot at making the rigorous physical requirments the Marines demand. I know I could walk through Navy training. Here are what I can do for the PFT tests:

Thanks guys. This is a very confusing time for me. I've been talking to alot of recruiters but I've found they can be rather fake. I need someones mentoring and help.

Try Wildbill, he is or was a marine... I am pretty sure he can help.

I didnt really get that part of your post.

themole
12-09-2006, 08:34 AM

There are three phases that the Marine Corp will perform its tweeks on you.

Body, Mind, Spirit. I think most people that choose the USMC will be able to do the PT. I don't say that because it's easy, but because they should at least be aware of the physical requirements and be somewhat prepared for that much about the Marines.

It's building the mind part, that becomes the stumbling block for most recruits. The USMC only has one way. THEIR WAY!:lol: They are extremely jealous in that respect and begin immediatley in the weeding out process by subjecting you to much in your face yelling and screaming and confusion. They do this to see how you will respond under pressure. Getting through that portion of BT by learning to think and react and speak as a Marine is what you need to have a VERY good understanding.

The Spirit part follows hand in hand with the Mind part. Understanding before hand, what they are going to do to you and readily complying will bring you out of Basic Training a new MAN, instilled in confidence that there is nothing you can't accomplish if you put your mind to it.

Don't worry about your stature. You are about the right size for the PT.

Through tradition, I was Army, but I love the Marine Corp. for what they represent. All my old High School Buds are X Marines. We have had many discussions about the difference between the two basic trainings (vintage 1968) and a lot of good laughs about our Drill Instructors & Drill Sergents.

As far as the Navy goes. Don't discount them, the Navy also has its way of extracting the best from their peoples too.

Fin Fan in Cali
12-09-2006, 09:31 AM

Thanks guys. This is a very confusing time for me. I've been talking to alot of recruiters but I've found they can be rather fake. I need someones mentoring and help.Bro I was in the Corps form 1982-1993, and got out a sergeant (E-5) There have been changes without a doubt. If the PFT requirements are the same you will need to do pull ups, was max of 20 with each one being 5pts each. 80 situps in 2 minutes. 3 mile run max time 28:00. If you are going to go in the Marine Corps, work on your upper body strength, by that be able to bang out 20 pull ups from a dead hang. You used to be able to use the kip motion, but I think they were going to do away with that just after I got out.

Try to get your facts straight before talking to the recruiters. They usually have a quota of three warm bodies a month to get in. If I can help please let me know either here or in a pm. Brother WildBill3 was a Marine as well. There are several ex-marines here, and I believe some active. Best of luck bro.:wink:

Fin Fan in Cali
12-09-2006, 09:45 AM

Thanks guys. This is a very confusing time for me. I've been talking to alot of recruiters but I've found they can be rather fake. I need someones mentoring and help.Bro you must join the Marines for the right reason, and not just because your family is a big military family either. You have to be ready to be a big part of a band of brothers! You must always have each others back. Be upfront with yourself that you will be doing a lot of traveling more then likely, and be away from home. Have you even thought about what you want to do in the Corps in regards to your MOS or Military Occupation Specialty? I was a 3051/3072, Ground supply, and aviation supply. Fancy words for a box kicker.:wink: Bro I am not trying to talk you out of this. There is mental strength as well as physical strength that will be needed to succeed. How are you at taking direction or orders from a lot of people?

themole
12-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Bro you must join the Marines for the right reason, and not just because your family is a big military family either. You have to be ready to be a big part of a band of brothers! You must always have each others back. Be upfront with yourself that you will be doing a lot of traveling more then likely, and be away from home. Have you even thought about what you want to do in the Corps in regards to your MOS or Military Occupation Specialty? Bro I am not trying to talk you out of this. There is mental strength as well as physical strength that will be needed to succeed. How are you at taking direction or orders from a lot of people?

That's kinda the point I was trying to stress too, FFIC. For many...the most difficult point. Military isn't for everyone, but IMO, would be good for everyone.

Fin Fan in Cali
12-09-2006, 09:58 AM
That's kinda the point I was trying to stress too, FFIC. For many...the most difficult point. Military isn't for everyone, but IMO, would be good for everyone.I saw that in your post, and they are great points. :wink: I agree with serving in the military. I think that each senator, and representative should have had to serve before they were able to go into office.

themole
12-09-2006, 10:16 AM
I saw that in your post, and they are great points. :wink: I agree with serving in the military. I think that each senator, and representative should have had to serve before they were able to go into office.

Should be a prerequisite.

phinfanfrommd
12-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Bro you must join the Marines for the right reason, and not just because your family is a big military family either. You have to be ready to be a big part of a band of brothers! You must always have each others back. Be upfront with yourself that you will be doing a lot of traveling more then likely, and be away from home. Have you even thought about what you want to do in the Corps in regards to your MOS or Military Occupation Specialty? I was a 3051/3072, Ground supply, and aviation supply. Fancy words for a box kicker.:wink: Bro I am not trying to talk you out of this. There is mental strength as well as physical strength that will be needed to succeed. How are you at taking direction or orders from a lot of people?

i will be graduating with a degree in information systems, if I would were to join I would be doing something with telecommunications for sure, I work and test alot of telecommuncations equipment at work and on campus.

phinfanfrommd
12-09-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm a little confused by that. But if you want some advice there are several active, and retired, soldiers who post in the PoFo, I'm sure they'd help you out if you sent them a pm. A_US_DS was/is a drill sergeant, he must know something about what you're asking

i just meant that the war is not producing results as of now, and i want to help try to get this **** over with, wrong choice of words my bad bro

Nappy Roots
12-09-2006, 06:01 PM

my boy is a marine, he said the biggest thing about the marine bootcamp, if your in good shape, is your mind. they try and get in your mind. as long as your really tough minded and in good shape, you should be OK.

on a side note, good thing about going through the marine bootcamp is if you decided to make the switch to the air force or navy, or whatever, you wouldnt have to go through their bootcamps. which you would have to do if say you were in the navy then wanted to be a marine, or go to the air force.

Uncle Rico II
12-09-2006, 06:19 PM
i will be graduating with a degree in information systems, if I would were to join I would be doing something with telecommunications for sure, I work and test alot of telecommuncations equipment at work and on campus.

If you have a degree become an officer. Have you looked at the Air Force? They treat you better, less BS, and have hotter chicks.

cnc66
12-09-2006, 06:34 PM
If you have a degree become an officer. Have you looked at the Air Force? They treat you better, less BS, and have hotter chicks.

don't forget the skirts... :goof:

Go Navy !!

phinfanfrommd
12-09-2006, 08:24 PM
yo thanks for all your help, its tough because the way the marines are often portrayed in the US makes it hard. many people feel that marines join because thats all they can do, i will have graduated from a good college with a degree. its tought to convince my family and friends the choice im making is right. I know its right

Fin Fan in Cali
12-09-2006, 09:19 PM
One last thing for you. When I was in I saw a lot of 2nd Lt's, not get augmented, so by that they were getting out of the Marine Corps. If you go in the Corps as a an officer, so important questions you may want to ask is what is the percentage of the officers that are getting augmented in today's corps? Also how does officers fit under telecommunications field? Is the field over crowded with existing officers, or is there a demand in that field.

What you need to do is do some home work, and decide if you are truly up to the challenge of being a Marine. If that is a yes, then find out where someone in the telecommunication field maybe stationed in the Corps, and on your own, make contact with an existing officer now, and get there insight to what it is like now.

Fin Fan in Cali
12-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Some other questions what is the length of a contract do you have to sign up for? I don't know your significant other situation, but the Corps can be really hard on relationships, and marriages. :wink:

Roman529
12-09-2006, 11:43 PM
HoooooRaaaahhh...Semper Fi.....My dad was a marine drill corps instructor at Paris Island in the 1950's, right after the Korean War ended. I never screwed up as a kid because I knew I would have to face my dad. I don't think it is for everyone but it will make a man out of you. My dad also spent 23 years in the Air Force and was a Vietnam vet. Just give it a lot of thought and then decide what you want to do.

Hellion
12-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Try Wildbill, he is or was a marine... I am pretty sure he can help.

I didnt really get that part of your post.

Once a Marine always a Marine. :wink:

Sethdaddy8
12-10-2006, 01:04 AM
i just meant that the war is not producing results as of now, and i want to help try to get this **** over with, wrong choice of words my bad bro

Traditionally, Marines were used to generally go in, kick ***, subdue, and get out. In this particular nightmare we have goin on in Iraq, Marines are not fighting, so much as they are policing. This administration has them doing, other than what they are trained effeiciently to do. I think its a dangerous time to enter the service, and if the above quote is your goal, Military strength isn't the answer. I think a change in policy is all that can really help. Think it through.

HysterikiLL
12-10-2006, 01:20 AM
I'm actually thinking about joining the military here, however the NZ Army has different physical requirements to the US Marines, I'm sure. Anyhow, good luck on your journey, bro. Wish you the best.