PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line-Obviously not as bad as everyone makes it out to be

Dmancari23
12-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Well, it's obvious that the oline is not nearly as bad as everyone wants to make it out to be. Sammy Morris=Running back of the future? Hardly, but he proved today and so far that the offensive line is not very offensive.

Dolfan984
12-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Well, it's obvious that the oline is not nearly as bad as everyone wants to make it out to be. Sammy Morris=Running back of the future? Hardly, but he proved today and so far that the offensive line is not very offensive.

I thought he had like 3 ypc until that big gainer at the end? We're still missing Ronnie IMO.

Dol-Fan Dupree
12-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Miami needs to upgrade their left side if possible.

ashraf-23
12-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Yeah not only did the line do good the offense did good.

malzj
12-10-2006, 08:46 PM
I agree, upgrading the left side is a must. But ya... take out that big run at the end and he had a so-so day. he's doing a good job of filling in.

Dmancari23
12-10-2006, 08:48 PM
If you take ANY big runs out of any games what do the ypc averages look like? This is a bogus arguement. How often does Larry Johnson go for 35 carries and 140 yards or so and there's a 60+ yard run in there someplace? It happens all the time. The only thing that matters is the end result. The numbers that are on the board once there is no time showing in the game.

Howry
12-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Ya but Morris had his big run at the very end when the game was in hand. Before that he was average at best when it really counted.

But hey, I will take it. Better then 15 carries for 28 yards or something.

saves
12-10-2006, 09:12 PM
O-line is still our weakness. Pass protection has been solid, but we still have trouble opening up holes. That is most apparent when we are in short yardage or red-zone situations, we just don't get much push. When we are simply driving down the field we compensate our lack of ability to open up holes with misdirections, tosses, and short passes. When we loose that ability, we seem to stall.

I think that our offensive play-makers really need a dominate o-line to take advantage of their skills. Culpepper and Chambers are guys who can dominate down the field, but need time for these types of plays to develop.

But for now, we have to accommodate our less than elite o-line with Harrington's quick release and quick decision making skills. This has lead to an increase in production for our "possession" guys (Wes and Marty), but our big time play-makers just don't work well with the protection our line gives.

Bottom line is, our offensive line has been playing well enough for us to win games, but in order to be the elite team that we strive to be and for us to take advantage of our play-makers and become an explosive team (as Saban has so often mentioned), we are going to need to upgrade our offensive line. We shouldn't be satisfied with this production.

Canadianfishfan
12-10-2006, 09:12 PM
well i think we're actually addressing our weakness as a team... short quick passes... you eliminate the time it takes for deep routes to develop.. Morris has been commendible in his filling in for Brown.

Just playing consistently. The big differences were turnovers.. Joey played smart.... no stupid passes... if he can fo this consistently... we have a chance in every game.

Desides
12-10-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm really getting tired of people selectively picking performances of *insert player/group/position here* to justify their preconceived biases about said player/group/position.

The offensive line is bad. When it plays well, we usually win (Pittsburgh is a glaring exception.) But it is not a good line, in part because it's so inconsistent.

It did its job today, which is excellent. The line's good play today helped us throw deep a few times. But will it hold up next week? Sadly, we don't know.

Dolfan984
12-10-2006, 09:18 PM
If you take ANY big runs out of any games what do the ypc averages look like? This is a bogus arguement. How often does Larry Johnson go for 35 carries and 140 yards or so and there's a 60+ yard run in there someplace? It happens all the time. The only thing that matters is the end result. The numbers that are on the board once there is no time showing in the game.

It was the VEERRRRRY end of the game. 58 minutes for 3 yards a clip is average. You can't take away his long run, but it also doesn't mean we were running successfully all day.

brandon27
12-10-2006, 09:22 PM
The o-line has been pretty decent with pass blocking... but the run blocking is where they struggle

Dmancari23
12-10-2006, 09:28 PM
The point I am making is that people make excuses for Ronnie Brown and his biggest excuse is the same offensive line that has allowed Sammie Morris to rush for 261 yards on 49 carries for a 5.3 ypc average in his absense. Those are facts, backed up by stats.

Sammie Morris' longest rush of the 06 season-55 yards
Ronnie Brown's longest rush of the 06 season-27 yards

Bills Own You!
12-10-2006, 09:38 PM

It will be exposed by Buffalo for 7 sacks again...your oline isn't that great.

Zeke0123
12-10-2006, 09:43 PM
It will be exposed by Buffalo for 7 sacks again...your oline isn't that great.nice to have a Bills fan here to represent the fanbase.

GoBills24
12-10-2006, 09:46 PM
nice to have a Bills fan here to represent the fanbase.

C'mon, its Phins-Bills week.

Classiness and being proper have no place during this week.

:lol:

DolfanCole
12-10-2006, 09:48 PM
It will be exposed by Buffalo for 7 sacks again...your oline isn't that great. Our OL is vastly different than what it was for the first game -- different players, different positions. And, Joey's not holding on to the ball nearly as long as Culpepper did during that game. So, I would be very surprised to see 7-sacks, unless it's by us. :evil: