PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why Madden 2007(360) sucks

NJL52
12-11-2006, 01:30 AM
After being a die hard Madden fan for the past 10+ years, I feel extremely cheated this year. Madden 2007 for 360 is an awful game, this is the biggest waste of 60 dollars I have spent in my life. So I decided I was going to write a wish list for Madden 2008 and then compare how much they did come release, but after the list of bad things became so impressive I decided just to keep it as it was.

1. The graphics and flashy images in the background don't belong in a football game, I feel like EA sports is trying to entertain 5 year olds with all the flashy colors etc.
2. Not exactly sure why, but all the menus are ridiculously slow compared to previous versions of the game. On a Xbox 360 I expect something as simple as switching from career stats to skills to be instant.
3. Can't edit players........just ridiculous.
4. Can't play players at a position different then their given.
5. Having to go through the minigames to create a player is ridiculous.
6. You can't change hair styles, facial hair etc.
7. EA Sports will never succeed at making a helmet correctly. Why can't they just pay Riddell, Schutt and Air to design their helmets for them?
8. Same things with facemasks, just awful.
9. Player models are awful as well.
10. Superstar mode is a shadow of every other versions.
11. No owner mode.
12. An interception in franchise mode counts for 2 interceptions on the stat sheet.
13. It takes less time to simulate a season in NCAA with 119 teams then it does to simulate Madden with 32 teams.
14. HoF players in franchise mode....
15. No alternate uniforms
16. No announcers, just the annoying radio presentation.
17. Travis Minor has dreadlocks....
18. In game it shows too many cut scenes etc, makes for a not very smooth feeling for the game.
19. The fields glow....
20. Framerates drop occasionaly.
21. I don't know why the sliders/difficulty settings don't make for a realistic game normally? The sliders should be used to add fun variations of the game or to compensate for an aspect of the game you lack in. You shouldn't have to play around with the sliders for a few hours to get a realistic game, the game should be balanced normally.
22. Andre Goodman has dreads....
23. They have been using the same tackle animations for the past 35 years.
24. Most of the tackle animations are very unrealistic.
25. The hitstick/impact stick defies physics, commen sense, logic, nature, laws of motion, physical limits of the body......uhmmm....it just doesn't make sense.
26. I feel hitstick problems deserved 2 mentions. God would I love for a realistic hitstick animation rather then an animation that you would expect out of a coyote and the roadrunner, looney toons animation.
27. There are colision problems I guess, so there are many occasions where instead of a tackle, EA sports copmensates by having the ball carrier and defender bounce off each other like they ran into a brick wall and hit the ground.
28. Too many instances where the ball is thrown out of bounds or where the reciever doesn't even try to catch the ball in bounds etc.
29. The change from 2006 to 2007 where they got rid of the walking to the line of scrimmage animation was uncalled for and it ends up just screwing up online play.
30. For some reason I find myself squinting a hell of alot more to read whats on the screen in Madden then I do in NCAA.
31. Same playbooks from NCAA.
32. Jumping the snap doesn't work vs the computer. You can wait random lengths of time and the computer will still jump the snap perfectly. And you can't possibly guess when they are going to snap the ball with enough reliability to use the feature.
33. The game compensates for too much gaudy features on the field by dropping the individual player animations to like 10 frames per second.
34. A juke in real life is a quick change of direction. A juke in madden is a 3 yard hop in either direction.
35. Madden leans towards pleasing 13 year old kids with pancake blocks. In reality, pancake blocks is the exact opposite of the job of an offensive lineman. As a lineman, your job is to clear a cluster and open up space. A pancake block just creates congestion. Linemen need to focus on getting drive block stats.
36. A spin in madden is used more like a juke in real life. A spin in real life is used as a tool to get defenders hands off you.
37. This game needs more complex blocking assignments rather then just hit the nearest guy.
38. There is no option to sub a player in for different formations. In a 3-4 defense I want Jason Taylor at one of the OLB positions, but there is no option for it.
39. The cutscenes in between plays are very limited and become very annoying after the first 2 minutes of the game.

Feel free to add, I got bored of playing the game, will add more later.

darkmistress
12-11-2006, 01:52 AM
How about how it doesn't seem to matter what you do in the workouts in SS mode because you can pretty much get the same stats every time...

and how no matter how positive I make my interviews my mum keeps emailing me telling me she's concerned about my attitude in the last interview, and how she does it even when I haven't done an interview

and how in SS mode when you're on offense, 10 yards out from a td and behind by 6 with the clock ticking down, 30 secs to go, no time outs and your QB just sits there saying set.....set.... blue 26... set... and then the clock runs out

I don't like how you wear you game day uniform in training... I hate it... especially considering the training uniforms are actually in the game - USE THEM

And I don't like that they don't have the phins white on white uniforms...

I despise the "0" numbering when there's a number clash. It is the single most annoying thing to fix. And even if you finally get the player into the right number range it's rare to get their actual number.

And finally, I don't like that they obviously spent more time prettying up the EA HD intro than working on the actual game.

I will give them props for one thing though, they didn't make the phins jersey that feral pasty aqua colour again...

SKing29
12-11-2006, 02:18 AM
These problems are what happens when sports leagues are able to sell exclusive licenses to certain video game manufacturers. Without competition EA will continue to not even try to improve Madden just because they know NFL fans will buy their game, its sad really I wish the 2K series was still around (the new Legends game they're coming out with in 2007 deosn't really count, seeing as how I'm talking about direct competition to EA).

Stitches
12-11-2006, 09:29 AM
There are so many things on your list that I just simply don't have the same problems with. I would say we were playing different games, if I didn't know we had the same game.

Oh, and if you wanted to bash madden, I'm sure you could have found one of the other 5 or so threads about it.

Agent51
12-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I agree with a lot of the things on your list, and some of them I haven't noticed (like one INT counting as 2, that hasn't happened to me). I will say my BIGGEST gripes are the lack of player editing and the create a player mode. I'm not going to get into it because I have an entire thread on it, but I have a major problem with it, lol. Also, the HoF players are LAME, you should be able to turn them on or off because I'm sick of wanting to play against teams that drafted cetain players so I can see them play and it turns out they are benched for some 99 rated HoF free agent

As far as stuff to add to the list, has anyone else noticed that when the other team is kicking a FG, no matter how many times you press Y, your defender doesn't jump or put his hands up for a block? Also, I was playing last night and everytime they kicked a FG I would get roughing the kicker, and on the SAME player. I wasn't controlling him, and it ONLY happened when they missed. Like, they missed a FG, but then it was roughing the kicker, they went on to score. Then they made a FG, no roughing, then they missed, roughing, then I stop them and they miss AGAIN and roughing again, they score. It went on liek that ALL game. They missed 7 FGs and every single miss was roughing the kicker, even though the kicker was never touched when I watched replays. Everytime they made it, there was no penalty :fire:. That's the first time that's ever happened, and it didn't happen the next game, but it was enough to cause me to almost lose in the playoofs (I won by 2).

Also, I have issues with the 360 gameplay and controls. This is very subjective, and I know tons of people like the XBox gameplay and controls, but I personally don't. I have ALWAYS played on PS2 as opposed to XBox, because I love the PS2 controller and it's layout, and the gameplay itself felt tighter and more responsive, the XBox always felt sluggish and arcady to me (somewhere between PS2's Madden and NFL Fever on XBox). That, and the controls just don't make sense. Why do you need a juke button (A) plus a right and left juke (LB and RB) PLUS the highlight stick :confused: That's 4 buttons all mapped to do the same exact thing :shakeno:. I also hate how "Y" is stiff-arm, and it chooses which way you throw it. I loved the way it was on PS2, it made SENSE that way. R1 and L1 were juke right or left, R2 and L2 were stiff-arm right or left (or was it the other way around? I can't remember but I just know those 4 top buttons were directional jukes and stiff-arms), triangle was HURDLE, circle was spin, square was dive, and X was sprint. I was perfect that way (IMHO). Now jukes and moves are all over the place, and I don't liek the trigger to sprint, I just hate it. This WOULDN'T be a problem normally, since I will be buying Madden on PS3 for Madden '08 on, except I read that Madden '07 for PS3 is the same control layout as the 360. I'm PRAYING that is only because it's a ported version and not a true PS3 version, but we'll see.

Along with that subject, BRING BACK THE HURDLE BUTTON :fire:. There is NO REASON to have a cover the ball button, it doesn't do anything. I'd rather have a manual hurdle button because the automatic detection sucks sometimes and you just run into a downed guy and either trip or stop dead and stand there like a moron. Also, I used to use hurdle when being chased down from behind and the guy dove, you could hurdle and he'd miss your feet. It doesn't do that now, so a huge 80+ yard run can be ruined by a last second dive by the chasing defender.

This is getting long, so I will end on this point. FIX THE DEFENSIVE BACKFIELD!!!!!!!!! It PISSES ME OFF when I have a WR WIDE OPEN and suddenly their DB SLIDES over and INTs it, or knocks it down. That, or I have a WR that is 99 overall, with 99 speed and he is matched up in man coverage on a guy with 79 speed who is an 81 overall and the crappy DB makes the play evertime and my super WR can't even get seperation, yet I have THREE DBs all rated 99 covering a WR rated 79 and SOMEHOW that WR makes the catch everytime and then breaks away from my 3 super DBs and scores a 90yd TD catch. I have actually sat there and tested this in previous Madden's by purposely making crappy guys and super guys and matching them up. The comp has the advantage everytime on both sides of the ball. Also, they "catch pass" button seems to work on a HUGE delay. This is evident in both the DB and WR drills, you press "Y" to INT it, or catch it on the WR side, and it seems like its 5 seconds before he puts his hands up to catch it, IF he does it at all.

NJL52
12-11-2006, 01:05 PM
There are so many things on your list that I just simply don't have the same problems with. I would say we were playing different games, if I didn't know we had the same game.

Oh, and if you wanted to bash madden, I'm sure you could have found one of the other 5 or so threads about it.

First, I'm a nitpicker(spelling?) and a perfectionist. When a problem that has been around for 5 years of Madden is completely ignored or made worse, I will notice it. It is completely ridiculous that MANY features of 2k5, 2k4 and even 2k3 arn't in Madden 2007 next gen. There is just no excuse for that, and I will ***** and complain and hold them accountable.

And no I'm not here just to bash Madden. I started by saying that I was going to create a wishlist for Madden 2008. So I started by listing the things they could improve on. But after awhile I realized that the list was so ridiculous that it earned it's own thread as it was.

Predaphin
12-11-2006, 01:16 PM
After being a die hard Madden fan for the past 10+ years, I feel extremely cheated this year. Madden 2007 for 360 is an awful game, this is the biggest waste of 60 dollars I have spent in my life. So I decided I was going to write a wish list for Madden 2008 and then compare how much they did come release, but after the list of bad things became so impressive I decided just to keep it as it was.

1. The graphics and flashy images in the background don't belong in a football game, I feel like EA sports is trying to entertain 5 year olds with all the flashy colors etc.
2. Not exactly sure why, but all the menus are ridiculously slow compared to previous versions of the game. On a Xbox 360 I expect something as simple as switching from career stats to skills to be instant.
7. EA Sports will never succeed at making a helmet correctly. Why can't they just pay Riddell, Schutt and Air to design their helmets for them?
11. No owner mode.
12. An interception in franchise mode counts for 2 interceptions on the stat sheet.
13. It takes less time to simulate a season in NCAA with 119 teams then it does to simulate Madden with 32 teams.
18. In game it shows too many cut scenes etc, makes for a not very smooth feeling for the game.
19. The fields glow....
21. I don't know why the sliders/difficulty settings don't make for a realistic game normally? The sliders should be used to add fun variations of the game or to compensate for an aspect of the game you lack in. You shouldn't have to play around with the sliders for a few hours to get a realistic game, the game should be balanced normally.
25. The hitstick/impact stick defies physics, commen sense, logic, nature, laws of motion, physical limits of the body......uhmmm....it just doesn't make sense.
26. I feel hitstick problems deserved 2 mentions. God would I love for a realistic hitstick animation rather then an animation that you would expect out of a coyote and the roadrunner, looney toons animation.
27. There are colision problems I guess, so there are many occasions where instead of a tackle, EA sports copmensates by having the ball carrier and defender bounce off each other like they ran into a brick wall and hit the ground.
28. Too many instances where the ball is thrown out of bounds or where the reciever doesn't even try to catch the ball in bounds etc.
29. The change from 2006 to 2007 where they got rid of the walking to the line of scrimmage animation was uncalled for and it ends up just screwing up online play.
30. For some reason I find myself squinting a hell of alot more to read whats on the screen in Madden then I do in NCAA.
32. Jumping the snap doesn't work vs the computer. You can wait random lengths of time and the computer will still jump the snap perfectly. And you can't possibly guess when they are going to snap the ball with enough reliability to use the feature.
33. The game compensates for too much gaudy features on the field by dropping the individual player animations to like 10 frames per second.
34. A juke in real life is a quick change of direction. A juke in madden is a 3 yard hop in either direction.
35. Madden leans towards pleasing 13 year old kids with pancake blocks. In reality, pancake blocks is the exact opposite of the job of an offensive lineman. As a lineman, your job is to clear a cluster and open up space. A pancake block just creates congestion. Linemen need to focus on getting drive block stats.
36. A spin in madden is used more like a juke in real life. A spin in real life is used as a tool to get defenders hands off you.
37. This game needs more complex blocking assignments rather then just hit the nearest guy.
38. There is no option to sub a player in for different formations. In a 3-4 defense I want Jason Taylor at one of the OLB positions, but there is no option for it.
39. The cutscenes in between plays are very limited and become very annoying after the first 2 minutes of the game.

WOW, that makes 2 of us.....I honestly thought I was the only one....

I now went back to only playing Madden 07 on my PS2...I'm going to trade in my 360 Madden...

I played on Xbox Live and some guy used the Baltimore Ravens and ran goaline the entire game....chewing up about 4 to 5 yards at a time....I threw the kitchen sink at him but only managed to force him to punt twice.

I thought that was ridiculous. Time and Time again I would find my defense either getting blocked or getting outran....

The only thing Madden on 360 has to offer is the better graphics, but that's it.

NJL52
12-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Continueing

40. 40 yard dash needs better instructions. Too vague and too many people can't get good times.
41. I can't recall the last time one of my bench reps didn't count because I went too high....in real life that is.
42. QB challenge needs to rely less on touchdowns. The only goal is to throw touchdowns of 40 yards. Bad mini game.
43. In RB challenge and in the normal game, you get caught on the back of the lineman/pad way too easily. And then the only way to get off him is too turn around and run the other way. Most of the time you are better off just giving up. Madden needs to use the feature that they had in 2K4 where the back would intelligently bounce off one of his own linemen.
44. RB challenge on defense needs to be less luck based. You could put all 3 defensive players in perfect position but more often then not the RB makes a miracle happen and takes it to the house. Too much randomness in this minigame.
45. Coverage challenge, make the quarterback suck less........alot less
46. and for the coverage challenge, something needs to be done about broken tackles. A COVERAGE minigame should not take into accout how good the WR can break tackles and how good the CB tackle.
47. In general, bring back the damn 2006 minigames, they were better.
48. Again, like I mentioned earlier, pancakes arn't good blocks. They are gaudy blocks, EA sports needs to stop catering to kids. A minigame where you go after pancakes is like a minigame where you can see how far you can drop back and complete a pass with Vick.
49. And if they do refine the lead blocking minigame, make the RBs a little(actually a lot) more intelligent. A clear seam to the endzone should be taken even if the blocker goes the opposite way.
50. Why is my center faster then Julius Peppers?
51. Defensive backs need to be changed. EA sports failure to make the game cover well has been compensated by allowing the DBs to be physcic and able to jump 4 feet in the are backwards while they are running full speed forwards
52. Franchise mode draft is ridiculous. They purposely make it so there are 20 defensive ends in the first round to piss you off and make the draft unplayable unless you buy NCAA. This pretty much sums up EA sports problems, all they care about is money and as long as they have customers hooked to buying their game they will continue making a pos product.

If ESPN 2k9 is the first game to come back after the EA sports exclusive contract, I fully expect Madden 2009 to be amazing simply because they know they would have to in order to make money.

Stitches
12-11-2006, 02:33 PM
First, I'm a nitpicker(spelling?) and a perfectionist. When a problem that has been around for 5 years of Madden is completely ignored or made worse, I will notice it. It is completely ridiculous that MANY features of 2k5, 2k4 and even 2k3 arn't in Madden 2007 next gen. There is just no excuse for that, and I will ***** and complain and hold them accountable.

And no I'm not here just to bash Madden. I started by saying that I was going to create a wishlist for Madden 2008. So I started by listing the things they could improve on. But after awhile I realized that the list was so ridiculous that it earned it's own thread as it was.

If the problems have been so obvious and prevelant in the past, why did you bother even getting the most recent Madden? If you really were holding them accountable, you never would have bought it.

Bruzer
12-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Only reason I get madden is because it is only nfl game. If 2k games where still able to make nfl games it will most likely be my choice now. Madden adds a small feature and a roster update and your basically paying 50$ for a small expansion.

Dol-Fan Dupree
12-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Only reason I get madden is because it is only nfl game. If 2k games where still able to make nfl games it will most likely be my choice now. Madden adds a small feature and a roster update and your basically paying 50$ for a small expansion.

if they fixed a lot of things in their franchise mode I would probably be playing more 2k. What a horrible franchise mode.

rob19
12-11-2006, 06:08 PM
52. Franchise mode draft is ridiculous. They purposely make it so there are 20 defensive ends in the first round to piss you off and make the draft unplayable unless you buy NCAA. This pretty much sums up EA sports problems, all they care about is money and as long as they have customers hooked to buying their game they will continue making a pos product.

That is my BIGGEST problem with madden, the drafts suck ***. The first DT's are projected to go in the 5th round, and thers hardly any decent Lb's...

illscriptures
12-11-2006, 07:19 PM
I honestly love the game and it can improve a lot but the only that I think that hurts the game is not being able to do a fantasy franchise.

Dolfan11
12-11-2006, 07:34 PM
The game is just flat out horrible. I'm not even impressed with the player models OR their motion. I am a Madden fan, and always preferred it over the 2k series, but the last two installments of "next gen" Madden are pathetic. Other than every reason already listed, which I agree with 100%, the player models just look silly and unrealistic. For example, Jake Plummer looks like a LB. The way the players run just dosen't look right. It's evident that this exclusive deal was the wrong thing, as you can tell from the yearly garbage that Madden has turned into.

Pretty graphics don't make a game. I hope they fix these issues for 2008.

TotoreMexico
12-11-2006, 07:49 PM

11. No owner mode.
19. The fields glow....

:sidelol:

NuttyFin
12-11-2006, 07:58 PM

You can download them for free on the XBL marketplace.

Agent51
12-12-2006, 12:01 PM

Yea, except they don't have them all. No orange for Miami, or white jersey with white pants, or throwbacks :shakeno:

Slappy8800
12-12-2006, 03:39 PM
and if u dont have an internet connection youre SOL...

dQbell
12-12-2006, 06:33 PM
If Madden doesn't get things in order, it will get owned just like NBA Live 07 did.

And you know what? I think it's about time.

Slappy8800
12-12-2006, 07:47 PM
can i add something being as i just got done

i played the steelers...and willie parker ran all over me...literally

he had 351, 6 tds.....plus another TD threw the air.....BUT these tds wouldve been avoided had the second guy trying to make a tackle not bounced off him cause no gang tackles...WTF

darkmistress
12-12-2006, 08:04 PM

Yeah I wasted about an hour downloading those... I'll never use them. If they're going to have classic uniforms then they need both home and away classic uniforms not just home. I would have prefered just current alternate uniforms.

Oh I forgot to add in SS mode the ai sucks big time I had one game (as a QB) finish 77-70 even after I turned all the CPU sliders down to 0 :chuckle: I've never seen that "In the game!" before :chuckle:

Agent51
12-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Yeah I wasted about an hour downloading those... I'll never use them. If they're going to have classic uniforms then they need both home and away classic uniforms not just home. I would have prefered just current alternate uniforms.

Oh I forgot to add in SS mode the ai sucks big time I had one game (as a QB) finish 77-70 even after I turned all the CPU sliders down to 0 :chuckle: I've never seen that "In the game!" before :chuckle:

Doesn't putting the sliders all the way down mean the Ai is DUMBER? If you have them on zero that means they are the worst they can be, if you go all the way right and the whole meter is filled that means they are the best, so of course turning the sliders to 0 will make it a high scoring game with dumb AI, lol., unless I just misread your post :lol:

darkmistress
12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Doesn't putting the sliders all the way down mean the Ai is DUMBER? If you have them on zero that means they are the worst they can be, if you go all the way right and the whole meter is filled that means they are the best, so of course turning the sliders to 0 will make it a high scoring game with dumb AI, lol., unless I just misread your post :lol:

yeah but if you're qb accuracy, wr catching, rb ability and pass and run blocking are all at 0 how does your QB get all the time in the world to make a wobbly throw into traffic and your wr come up with the catch, break several would be tackles and sprint away for a 70 yard td? :lol: by the time I turned down the ai the score was already somewhere in the 60s :chuckle:

Agent51
12-12-2006, 10:07 PM
yeah but if you're qb accuracy, wr catching, rb ability and pass and run blocking are all at 0 how does your QB get all the time in the world to make a wobbly throw into traffic and your wr come up with the catch, break several would be tackles and sprint away for a 70 yard td? :lol: by the time I turned down the ai the score was already somewhere in the 60s :chuckle:

Oh yeah, that's true, lol. Madden is all screwy. I've been a fan since Madden '94 on Sega Genesis, and I never liked any of the other franchises (Gameday, Fever, 2K etc) but I DEFINATELY think Madden needs a lot of work. I don't buy the fact that it's because they got the exclusive license either, because Madden has had a lot of the same problems (see DB A.I. for the most glaring example :shakeno: ) all along, even when there were other franchise options.

tory
12-18-2006, 12:59 PM
i hate the controls. they feel counter intuitive. aside from the fact that i've spent the last 5 years having minor adjustments from year to year on the ps2 controler, just to have it completely re-done in a console switch-over when it wasn't even necessary. sure it doesnt seem like a big deal but when i start losing games because i press a wrong button in a key situation i get really really frustrated very very easily.

i just get done talking all this smack to my father in law about how i was gonna take him down, and i can't even run a no-huddle 2 minute offense before halftime which cost me the game. maybe i wouldve had the friggin time-outs if i didnt have to blow them earlier in the half because of controller issues. i shouldve been able to just pick that game up and play. not to mention finding a play in the new set-up screen takes a little adjusting. i'd be fine w/that, but christ give me the old controls back.

NJL52
12-18-2006, 01:03 PM
If the problems have been so obvious and prevelant in the past, why did you bother even getting the most recent Madden? If you really were holding them accountable, you never would have bought it.

uhhhh...I'm a diehard football fan and with only one game coming out thanks to the exclusive contract I don't have a choice?