PDA

View Full Version : Brees: The Best Dolphin That Never Was...

SkapePhin
12-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Which was the bigger mistake in your opinion? Both in hindsight of course, but let us just pretend that we only know the information presented to us during both particular times..

Passing on Brees in the 2001 Draft?

or

Passing on Brees in the 2006 Free Agency?

GoBills24
12-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Which was the bigger mistake in your opinion? Both in hindsight of course, but let us just pretend that we only know the information presented to us during both particular times..

Passing on Brees in the 2001 Draft?

or

Passing on Brees in the 2006 Free Agency?

About 30 teams passed over Brees in the 2001 Draft, so the Fins fans are not the only ones who should be kicking yourselves.

Of course, this is not considering needs in that Draft.

Regan21286
12-11-2006, 07:40 PM
There was no way any QB would've survived under Wanny. Not with his Jay love and the run-run-pass-punt plan. Brees would've been considered a bust like he was with the Chargers early on. He would've had a stunted development under Wanny also. But then again, he would've been better than Jamar Fletcher. I wonder if we had Harrington early on that Saban would've taken the gamble on Brees knowing he had a solid backup plan.

miaD5499
it has to be this past offseason in free agency, we knew what he was capable of doing but we were hesitant because we didnt know if we believed that he would really play...well it looks like we were wrong, however the case is not out for daunte yet, he has only played 4 games as a fin with an injuried knee that was clearly affecting him, but then again on the otherside it doesnt change the fact that we passed up on the best qb of the year

SkapePhin
I think every draft magazine I saw back then had the Dolphins taking Brees at their draft slot.. I think it was 24 or something.

Dtronic
12-11-2006, 07:42 PM
I wanted a both choice.

When was the last time we drafted a QB instead of picking up leftovers?

Desides
12-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Can we please get over Brees?

dominizzo
12-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Brees is amazing!! I love him!! hes done wonders

malzj
12-11-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm more impressed by their play calling then Breeze's actually play. He's done great but their calls put them in great position to win. They're arent gimmicky either.

Our best redzone play call has been when we Put Ronnie in at FB and Chambers at HB and then we run it in with Ronnie. Works every time....

But we resort to kicking fifty four yard FGs and HB passes to win us games. Man... I wonder what it's like to have someone with half a brain calling ur plays... and then another that plays within himself and doesn't make dumb mistakes.

Here's to next year!!! How many of us are going to have even larger expectations?? I sure will!

dolphinfan0762
12-11-2006, 08:27 PM
its amazing what's this guy is doing in new orleans, just wondering what he could have done here in miami.

bigmiamifan
12-11-2006, 08:31 PM
It's not fair to question this past offseason. He has a busted THROWING shoulder and demands a HUGE UP FRONT contract. We don't give huge up front money to HEALTHY starters. Saban made a business decision. As of today, ist' regrettable, but I'd support Saban all over again making the same call. If Brees doesn't recover, we are locked into all that wasted money and no QB. DC cost us a pick, little cash so we have cap, and we have yet to find out how good DC will be. So it's also unfair NOT KNOWING how good DC is going to be. DC good play just as well as Brees next year making the question a push.

phinphan896
12-11-2006, 08:31 PM
i dont think lady fate wants brees to be a dolphin

PROBALL9954
12-11-2006, 08:32 PM
I Rather Take Sammy M. Over R.brown Any Day Moris Is Much Better Runner Better Speed Better Vision Hits The Holes Faster Then Brown.also Morris Breakaway Longer Runs Then Brown Dont Tell Me R.b. Is Better They Both Play With Same Off. Line Look At The Stats Whos Got Better Run Avr.

MarinoEqualsGod
12-11-2006, 08:36 PM
I wanted a both choice.

1983...and I think that turned out ok.

Regan21286
12-11-2006, 08:39 PM

Josh Heupel. Wanny's poor make-up pick for not drafting Brees first.

dolphinfan2k5
12-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Man, I can't stand it when people say we should have drafted Brees. Would anyone have said that after his first 3 or so years. No way. He would have struggled with us and he may not have suddenly turned into a great quarterback if he had been here like he did in San Diego.

Vertical Limit
12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
The past 2 days ESPN has been talking about the Dolphins and Drew Brees. Just now, Chris Mortensen was talking about that Nick Saban wanted Brees over Culpepper, but the doctors didn't give him the thumbs up that he would be ready in the season opener and that Daunte would be.

The result of that hypothesis: Drew Brees has a stronger arm than ever before, and is on pace to beat Dan Marino's passing yardage season record. Right now, currently about 200 yards over Dan Marino when you count the yardage Dan put in 13 games played.

unifiedtheory
12-11-2006, 08:42 PM
The draft, easily.

Vertical Limit
12-11-2006, 08:43 PM
1983...and I think that turned out ok.
Just okay? We were set for 17 seasons!

ItsOurTime32
12-11-2006, 08:47 PM
brees was inconsistent early in his career

the past 3 years he has been on fire however

phinphanforever
12-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Tom Brady, of course being number one....:wink:

I think this logic, however, is somehwat flawed. There were plenty of reasons why Saban chose Culpepper over Brees- including salary, injury status, and offensive scheme-all of them still valid.

Make no mistake about it: Drew Brees is a fantastic player, and I am a big fan of his, but that doesn't mean that Saban took the wrong guy. It is one season, and although it has been very impressive for DB, it's difficult to say that Culpepper won't have success in Miami.

The cap hit on Brees is pretty steep. I'm not suggesting that the Saints aren't getting good value, but it's a lot of dough to have invested in one player. When that player is coming off a serious injury- and, again, one shouldn't forget the serious concern expressed by several medical staffs over the status of his shoulder- the risk shoots up. Brees' shoulder may be something that gives him problems later on, and could potentially limit his career.

Culpepper, on the other hand, was expected to come back by mid-season, but many noted that his type of injury would really take 2 years to fully recover. The Dolphins signed him to a pretty cap friendly contract. I have read that, once full recovered, the knee should no longer be an issue.

Whether Brees would have flourished in Miami's offense is also debatable. The argument could be, of course, that if Brees didn't fit, then the Dolphins would/should have adjusted to accomodate Brees' strengths. This, however, would have been very difficult. Culpepper had been playing Linehan's offense for a few years.

Several teams obviously underestimated Brees. The Chargers, after all, decided to get rid of him rather than Rivers- what a compelling SuberBowl it would be to see Brees face his old team the year after they let him go. He is the protagonist in the fairy tale script being played out by the Saints. He has added desperatley needed leadership by being the tough little general executing the plan of one hell of a good coach. I'm not convinced, however, that the same story would have been written had he played for Miami. Just my thoughts.

cltchperf
12-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Tom Brady, of course being number one....:wink:

I think this logic, however, is somehwat flawed. There were plenty of reasons why Saban chose Culpepper over Brees- including salary, injury status, and offensive scheme-all of them still valid.

Make no mistake about it: Drew Brees is a fantastic player, and I am a big fan of his, but that doesn't mean that Saban took the wrong guy. It is one season, and although it has been very impressive for DB, it's difficult to say that Culpepper won't have success in Miami.

The cap hit on Brees is pretty steep. I'm not suggesting that the Saints aren't getting good value, but it's a lot of dough to have invested in one player. When that player is coming off a serious injury- and, again, one shouldn't forget the serious concern expressed by several medical staffs over the status of his shoulder- the risk shoots up. Brees' shoulder may be something that gives him problems later on, and could potentially limit his career.

Culpepper, on the other hand, was expected to come back by mid-season, but many noted that his type of injury would really take 2 years to fully recover. The Dolphins signed him to a pretty cap friendly contract. I have read that, once full recovered, the knee should no longer be an issue.

Whether Brees would have flourished in Miami's offense is also debatable. The argument could be, of course, that if Brees didn't fit, then the Dolphins would/should have adjusted to accomodate Brees' strengths. This, however, would have been very difficult. Culpepper had been playing Linehan's offense for a few years.

Several teams obviously underestimated Brees. The Chargers, after all, decided to get rid of him rather than Rivers- what a compelling SuberBowl it would be to see Brees face his old team the year after they let him go. He is the protagonist in the fairy tale script being played out by the Saints. He has added desperatley needed leadership by being the tough little general executing the plan of one hell of a good coach. I'm not convinced, however, that the same story would have been written had he played for Miami. Just my thoughts.

yes, good points.

WestCoastPhins
12-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Since im getting tired of all the brees talk this weekend and have actually been chiming in I will bring up somthing I saw on fox sports.

It was biggest blow ups and it was uconns coach. Some media guy was grilling him because he missed out on some bball player that was supposedly good and had a great day. And he was yelling "what do you want me to say I messed up I took caron butler and emeka okafor instead". Considering I never heard of the guy who the media talked about I think wow this is very similar. If in 2 years daunte wins a superbowl I wonder how many of you will be cheering or will some you still be winning about not getting brees.

Before saban was hired I thought 3 years till we get rolling. And last year we got new Qb's and new secondary. And once the secondary caught on its been playing well. If you ask me now who has a better chance to make the superbowl its saints but they will never win one sitting over there in the NFC and having to play AFC teams. BTW they are 1-3 against AFC with only win against the browns. So I ask you are the saints really better because they can beat tampa bay twice. Oh and Joey harrington against the NFC 3-1. So I guess that equates to fins as 12-4 in nfc and saints as 4-12 in afc.

DrewOldSchool
12-11-2006, 09:03 PM
All I'm gonna say is that I would trade Jamar Fletcher and Daunte Culpepper for Drew Brees right at this exact moment. The question is, would anyone take me up on it?

Drew Brees, he's so hot right now.........Drew Brees.

MIAdolphin89
12-11-2006, 09:03 PM
for the love of god let it go...we dont have brees, end of story.

WindyCityDolfan
12-11-2006, 09:05 PM
It's not fair to question this past offseason. He has a busted THROWING shoulder and demands a HUGE UP FRONT contract. We don't give huge up front money to HEALTHY starters. Saban made a business decision. As of today, ist' regrettable, but I'd support Saban all over again making the same call. If Brees doesn't recover, we are locked into all that wasted money and no QB. DC cost us a pick, little cash so we have cap, and we have yet to find out how good DC will be. So it's also unfair NOT KNOWING how good DC is going to be. DC good play just as well as Brees next year making the question a push.

As much as I supported the c'pep decision....no way he can be better than brees.hard to believe but he could tie....but it would be a year later so not a push but a win for Brees being that he did it right away. Also, don't forget c'pep cost a 2nd.....so it was c'pep OR Brees and a 2nd...

Now I am not complaining and I understand that not all decisions work out....Saban made the best decision in his mind and mine at the time....nothing we can do about it now, We also don't know if Brees even wanted to sign with the phins.....I am just not afraid to admit that at this point it looks like it was a bad decision no matter how c'pep does next year.

phinman1
12-11-2006, 09:10 PM
I think every draft magazine I saw back then had the Dolphins taking Brees at their draft slot.. I think it was 24 or something.

We're always the team that supposed to get the next good young QB. All the draftniks had us getting Rivers a few years ago and Cutler last year, but those two guys shot up the board.

MarinoEqualsGod
12-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Just okay? We were set for 17 seasons!

LOL...i wish there were a sarcasm button on here

Bonedoc7777
12-11-2006, 09:32 PM
you cant say brees was the better choice at the time and he has better skill players in new orleans, we dont have reggie bush,

DrewOldSchool
12-11-2006, 09:36 PM
you cant say brees was the better choice at the time and he has better skill players in new orleans, we dont have reggie bush,
Sorry I disagree. He has a far better O-Line. Brees wasn't pressured at all last night and last I heard Dallas is pretty good. I think having that much time to set up a play and throw deep would make a lot of QB's yardage numbers increase. In all fairness to other QB's with a weaker O-Line.

PhinGeneral
12-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Man, I can't stand it when people say we should have drafted Brees. Would anyone have said that after his first 3 or so years. No way. He would have struggled with us and he may not have suddenly turned into a great quarterback if he had been here like he did in San Diego.

A lot of QB's struggle their first 2-3 years in the league. It's a very difficult position to learn in the NFL. What he did was develop as a QB, and as bad of a head coach as Wannstadt was there's little you can point to to suggest that he most likely wouldn't have done the same here.

Dolfan81
12-11-2006, 10:57 PM
i think it was a mistake passin him both ways but more in 06 bcuz we new he could play then

Dolphins=LIFE
12-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Both. You could have got him in '01, and let him take 1-2 years to learn things, and by now, he'd be doing what he is now.

In '06, we passed on a guy that is leading the league in a lot of passing categories in favor of a guy who played bad in his 4 games, and then has been inactive the rest of the year. Although, things are eventually working themself out, with Harrington, who is turning into a good and capable starting QB.

Pompy
12-11-2006, 11:21 PM
We must have some terrible doctors telling Saban that Bree's shoulder is a bigger risk than Culpepper's knee..... Am I right or wrong?

tucker
12-11-2006, 11:24 PM
its weird when everyone including other teams also thought brees had the worse injury of the two...shows how much doctors know sometimes

dolphinfan2k5
12-11-2006, 11:41 PM
A lot of QB's struggle their first 2-3 years in the league. It's a very difficult position to learn in the NFL. What he did was develop as a QB, and as bad of a head coach as Wannstadt was there's little you can point to suggest that he most likely wouldn't have done the same here.

:lol: I understand that QB is the most challenging position, and takes time to adapt to, but there is a reason that the Chargers wanted Philip Rivers. They didn't think Brees was going to amount to anything, and they were ready to cut ties with him and try again, then luckily he showed something and gave the Chargers a great dilemma. I don't think you can say for sure that he would have been any different here. But I think after 3 years of showing little to nothing here I'm not sure he would have been given another shot, especially with Wanny and Fiedler.

Kdawg954
12-12-2006, 12:31 AM
this is getting old, who knows how Brees would have performed in Miami, who knows if he would have survived the first couple of games w/ the line problems we had early this season. Its all speculation . . . but I am in agreement in saying that Brees unquestionably would have been a better choice for THIS year. Who knows what the future holds. I'm not giving up on Daunte because he was hurt this year and stunk it up . . . why are people so ruthless now towards Daunte, the coaching staff let him start 4 games when we knew he was not 100% . . . but u can't blame him for his compassion to start and give his all to help this team and his dedication to trying to come back to start the season . . . lets give this guy another shot.

Desides
12-12-2006, 12:38 AM
We must have some terrible doctors telling Saban that Bree's shoulder is a bigger risk than Culpepper's knee..... Am I right or wrong?

You're wrong.

Brees had a 360-degree tear, requiring 12 pins to repair.

His comeback is nothing short of miraculous. The team doctors made the right medical calls, and Saban made the right personnel call. Culpepper kept up statistically with Brees before being sent back to rehab.

Kdawg954
12-12-2006, 12:42 AM
You're wrong.

His comeback is nothing short of miraculous. The team doctors made the right medical calls, and Saban made the right personnel call. Culpepper kept up statistically with Brees before being sent back to rehab.

Yep, best believe I thought that Brees wouldn't be an as effective QB after that injury . . . ALOT of teams blew it on Brees, not just Miami.

muscle979
12-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Yep, best believe I thought that Brees wouldn't be an as effective QB after that injury . . . ALOT of teams blew it on Brees, not just Miami.

Good point. Several teams said no thanks to Brees and his hefty contract. Not just Nick. But some people will find everything they can to condemn the man. Payton took a huge gamble. He got very lucky now and everybody thinks he's a genius. He's a good coach for sure but things could have easily been a lot different.

Alex44
12-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Good point. Several teams said no thanks to Brees and his hefty contract. Not just Nick. But some people will find everything they can to condemn the man. Payton took a huge gamble. He got very lucky now and everybody thinks he's a genius. He's a good coach for sure but things could have easily been a lot different.

Yep. Brees could very easily have screwed up his arm badly game one and not played another snap. Looking at the risks Daunte was less of one.

Lots of people say Daunte cant play QB without his legs.....can Drew play QB without his arm? Thats what we were looking at.

jpcdolphan
12-12-2006, 12:50 AM
This debate was never going to be answered in just one year. Both teams are making multi year investments in their quarterbacks. Brees is doing great in New Orleans, and I'm thrilled for him, the team and the city, but let's see a healthy Culpepper (and see Brees continue his success) before we flog the team and ourselves over this choice.

Brees is in New Orleans. Culpepper is here. Those are the cards that have been dealt.

Coral Reefer
12-12-2006, 01:00 AM
You're wrong.

No he's not wrong.

You can argue all you want that Culpepper may end up the better choice in the long run and certainly I hope he does.

However, it was made clear to the Phins from Brees' doctor that he was fully recovered and ready to play. That Dr. just happens to be the most renowned Ortho Dr. that works with the NFL. Our staff went against his recommendation and were paying the price this year and certainly maybe next year as we will go into yet another year with question marks at the QB position.

We made a bad call bottom line and it cost us at least one season.
Hopefully it all works out in the end.

Coral Reefer
12-12-2006, 01:02 AM
Lots of people say Daunte cant play QB without his legs.....can Drew play QB without his arm? Thats what we were looking at.

This argument continues to come up but it's pointless.

Culpepper's leg IS still hurt.

Brees' arm IS NOT.

He's taken hits in N.O. and not reinjured it so that argument goes out the window IMO.

Coral Reefer
12-12-2006, 01:05 AM
As to the question of the thread, I believe it was a much bigger mistake to not take him this year rather than when we could have drafted him.

He probably would have never touched the field and would have ended up being traded for scrap by Wanny because he couldn't see past his boy Fee Fee.

Alex44
12-12-2006, 01:08 AM
This argument continues to come up but it's pointless.

Culpepper's leg IS still hurt.

Brees' arm IS NOT.

He's taken hits in N.O. and not reinjured it so that argument goes out the window IMO.

Unless we could see into the future there is no way we would know things would be like this though.

Not knowing what I know now Id still make the same decision for Culpepper 10 out of 10 times. Not to mention Brees had never had a season like this before in his life. There was no way to know he would play this way.

Its a pointless question though your right on that

PhinPhreak
12-12-2006, 01:09 AM
As I said back before the decision was made betwee Cpep and Brees, no matter who the Fins picked, the other QB would wind up being the one that would wind up being the right choice. If they had picked Brees we would probably be hearing about how Culpepper was having a career year. It's just the Luck of the Fins. :D

Coral Reefer
12-12-2006, 01:14 AM
It's just the Luck of the Fins. :D

:lol:

Maybe that is what it all comes down to!

Semedi
12-12-2006, 04:20 AM
If we'd drafted him he'd never of made it as a Phin in the first place, get real.

Phinz4Life
12-12-2006, 04:40 AM
I'm SO SO SO SO SO sick of hearing about Drew Brees.

His arm was in limbo with all that surgery.
BIG BIG BIG RISK.
The Saints got him.

End of freakin' story!

CalFishman
12-12-2006, 04:41 AM
worth it? how much was Drew's salary this year? I remember his contract being effectively a 1 year for about 10 mil, imagine how much more he will demand next year. Would we honestly want to pay 15 million for Brees if we could?

finserg
12-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Lets just face it we got stuck with handicap qb in which he is emptying our pockets and the pay increases every season .He needs to prove next year he was hurt and light up the score boards next season !

PhinsRock
12-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Can we please get over Brees?

Yeah and AMEN! NO more threads about how we shoulda coulda woulda and oh poor us we missed out on Brees. He's with NO, GET OVER IT!!!!! One star is too high for this thread.

BALLS DEEP
12-12-2006, 10:26 AM
The sad thing isn't just that we didn't take Brees. It was that we took Jamar Fletcher instead. Decisions like that just make me nuts. I mean Brees wasn't a Randy Moss in that he had some knocks against him or anything. Everyone knew Brees was going to be good (even though he took a little while to prove it on the field).

Decisions like this are going to drive me to a 12 step program at some point.

PhinGeneral
12-12-2006, 02:00 PM
:lol: I understand that QB is the most challenging position, and takes time to adapt to, but there is a reason that the Chargers wanted Philip Rivers. They didn't think Brees was going to amount to anything, and they were ready to cut ties with him and try again, then luckily he showed something and gave the Chargers a great dilemma. I don't think you can say for sure that he would have been any different here. But I think after 3 years of showing little to nothing here I'm not sure he would have been given another shot, especially with Wanny and Fiedler.

Philip Rivers has nothing to do with the final product. They drafted Drew Brees. He struggled for a few years. He became an excellent QB. That SD thought he was going to be a bust and drafted Rivers is irrelevant to the point of the post.

phinphan11
12-12-2006, 04:54 PM
I found it interesting what Mort said in last nites MNF game coverage. He indicated that Saban was definitely more interested in Brees and the major reason that he past on him was because the Phin's medical people refused to sign off on him.
If this is true then it causes me to wonder about the quality of their medical staff.

I realize that hindsight is 20/20 but you'd think that they wouldn't have been so far off of about Brees potiential health and overall recovering possibilities.

Our loss... in a big way!

JCane
01-11-2012, 03:31 AM
We passed on Tom Brady SIX times.

HE'S THE GOAT!

Ti Rider
01-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Interesting zombie thread (dug up from antiquity). I will make this comment - read Brees book 'Coming Back Stronger'. Brees had very strong interest in signing with the Dolphins. But they treated him like a piece of meat. No personal touch or warm greeting on his initial visit to Miami. They just ordered him to report to their doctors first then tour the Phins facilities. The Saints on the other hand had newly hired Sean Payton pick him up from the airport. Payton got lost after picking him up, they ended up in a Katrina ravaged area. Then the Saints ownership, GM, and staff took him to dinner. He talked about how warmly he was greeted and how his feelings began to shift with the edge swinging toward the Saints. After talking to his wife then praying Brees signed with the Saints. The Saints were one impersonal meeting away from losing Brees, thank goodness they didn't.