PDA

View Full Version : life altering decision...

arsenal
12-13-2006, 10:15 AM
ok hear me out, add some advice...

im 26 years old and running a small family owned business... this is a business that has seen my dad and my uncle become very wealthy, but as of right now i am only making about 43k a year because my uncle still bleeds the ***** dry, haha...

i went to carnegie mellon univeristy but failed out cause ima lazy mother****er and was too busy sleeping, drinking and trying to bang girls instead of going to class, and i never had to study or work too hard in high school, but i couldn't get by that way at carnegie mellon, so i failed out just 1.5 years in... (also because my hatred towards the american university system that says eventhough i want to be a computer engineer i have to pass history and writing and gay *** classes like that that i have no interest in... so i can dominate my comp engineering classes, but still fail out cause i dont give a **** about the war of 1812)

now my mom was going through some of my old high school ****, SAT scores, ACT scores, recommendations and all that and she really wants me to go back to school because i guess i was a smart person in high school... especially in math which ive always liked...

so she offered me to come down to FLA and live with her and go back to school full time to try to get my degree, but that would mean leaving my apartment in NY, leaving this job with the potential for good money, leaving all my friends and **** and basically going down to florida to become a college student again at the age of 27... probably not getting out till 30... is this too late for that?

my dilemma is i dont want to do what im doing now, but who wants to do what they do at their job? not many people, and i cant really get anything in computer like i would want too because people see the resume and see no degree and move on, eventhough im more than capable of doing lots of things and i learn new **** real easy... but i could potentially make good money where im at now, but its not a definate...

but im torn, i like the idea of finishing my degree but i feel im kinda old for that now... any advice?

Timmy54
12-13-2006, 10:23 AM
it really depends on what you want to do with your life. if you are ok with running this business for the rest of your life, then you have your answer. but if you are looking to do more, or to even run your business to new highs then maybe college might not be a bad option. Sounds like a sweet deal if that is what you want to do, but never in life do something you dont really want, you wont get the full effect with out putting your heart into it.

Motion
12-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Personally, I would definitely go back to school. Especially before you settle down and start a family, unless you have done that and didn't mention it. If you really enjoy working with computers and want that resume I'd go for it, especially when you have your Mom's support. Speaking on personal experience one of my biggest regrets is messing around after high school and not getting a good education, yeah I have a degree but I screwed around at a local community college and didn't take it seriously and ended up wasting alot of precious time taking 4 years to get a damn Associate Degree that I'm not even using because employers want to see that BA and/or solid work experience in that field. I've been wanting to go back to school myself. I say go for it man. All depends how much you value your current business.

DrAstroZoom
12-13-2006, 10:27 AM
i dont want to do what im doing now

At the risk of oversimplifying, it seems like that's your answer right there. If the main thing keeping you from going back to school is that you feel too old, don't let that stop you. I know plenty of people your age who've gone back to school and are glad they did. Besides, 26 is still very, very young. Trust me. :D

UltraDol-Fan
12-13-2006, 10:32 AM
I would go back to school also, now may be your only oppurtunity to get the degree and remain stable. Once you have a family you won't be able to go back as easily unless your wife makes enough to cover both of you........ Ok, here's the plan, marry a rich woman and then don't work anymore :)

SCall13
12-13-2006, 10:33 AM

im 26 years old and running a small family owned business... this is a business that has seen my dad and my uncle become very wealthy, but as of right now i am only making about 43k a year because my uncle still bleeds the ***** dry, haha...

i went to carnegie mellon univeristy but failed out cause ima lazy mother****er and was too busy sleeping, drinking and trying to bang girls instead of going to class, and i never had to study or work too hard in high school, but i couldn't get by that way at carnegie mellon, so i failed out just 1.5 years in... (also because my hatred towards the american university system that says eventhough i want to be a computer engineer i have to pass history and writing and gay *** classes like that that i have no interest in... so i can dominate my comp engineering classes, but still fail out cause i dont give a **** about the war of 1812)

now my mom was going through some of my old high school ****, SAT scores, ACT scores, recommendations and all that and she really wants me to go back to school because i guess i was a smart person in high school... especially in math which ive always liked...

so she offered me to come down to FLA and live with her and go back to school full time to try to get my degree, but that would mean leaving my apartment in NY, leaving this job with the potential for good money, leaving all my friends and **** and basically going down to florida to become a college student again at the age of 27... probably not getting out till 30... is this too late for that?

my dilemma is i dont want to do what im doing now, but who wants to do what they do at their job? not many people, and i cant really get anything in computer like i would want too because people see the resume and see no degree and move on, eventhough im more than capable of doing lots of things and i learn new **** real easy... but i could potentially make good money where im at now, but its not a definate...

but im torn, i like the idea of finishing my degree but i feel im kinda old for that now... any advice?

I'd do it. I'd go back to college. I work and I'm part owner of a business (with my dad). I very seldom WORK at our business. It does OK. But if I had to give it up to go back to college AGAIN, I'd do it.

I started college out of high school, taking broadcasting. I wanted to be a radio DJ. I got a job at a radio station down in Charleston, SC and figured I didn't need college, I already had the job I was looking for.

So anyway, events took me away from that job and I ended up working as a purchasing agent (buyer) for a company which is what I do now. But along the lines I wanted to go back to college. I DID go back. But man was it HARD to do and work full time. I wish someone had offered me the opportunity to go back to school full time. I would have been all over that. I was so stressed out - to the point that I would have occasional anxiety attacks. Anyway, it's worth it now. I'm still taking college classes now (this time leisurely) that I like.
I was like you in college. There was some classes I took that I HATED. And I wondered what the hell they had to do with anything. But I toughed it through. (Some of those classes really sucked!).

Anyway, I'd say take up the offer. You might regret NOT doing it.

Celtkin
12-13-2006, 11:07 AM

How old will you be in 4 years if you don't go back to school? :wink:

finswin56
12-13-2006, 11:15 AM
At the risk of oversimplifying, it seems like that's your answer right there. If the main thing keeping you from going back to school is that you feel too old, don't let that stop you. I know plenty of people your age who've gone back to school and are glad they did. Besides, 26 is still very, very young. Trust me. :D:yes: Exactly. It wouldn't matter if you loved what you did now, but you obviously don't.

Motion made another great point about doing this before you settle down. Trust me, it's 100x easier to do this now.

Doc, I'll have to trust you on the young thing :wink:

arsenal
12-13-2006, 12:05 PM
well with the family portion, thats another tricky subject, ive got a sorta ex but not really who has 2 kids with her previous marriage... i lived with her down in VA for a year and moved back up to the NY area with her for another 2... but we had a faling out and i moved out at the end of 04, and moved in with some friends, and she moved back to VA... but we still are kinda a thing, and she wants to be with me, and im attached to the kids and i go down to VA to see them basically every other weekend... its a strange situation that is jsut another cog in the puzzle...

and i say i dont wanna do what im doing, but its probably cause im bored with it... i mean if i was doing the same **** every day in any field its gonna get to a tiring point... i dont expect to have to LOVE my job to be able to do it, but its also how much money could i potentially make here... i know my pops and uncle did real well, but the way things have gone i dont see me getting that money for a long time, if ever...

i dont know, i really gotta think about it... getting my degree could be huge and something i should have done right the first time... hmmmm thanks for all the advice though...

mor911
12-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Any chance to go to college is a great one. If anything, do it for the girls... Do it for The Mor. Do you know how easy it is to talk a 19 year old sophmore into bed...

DeathStar
12-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Any chance to go to college is a great one. If anything, do it for the girls... Do it for The Mor. Do you know how easy it is to talk a 19 year old sophmore into bed...

i had a feeling YOU would be the one to mention that IMPORTANT aspect of college.:lol:

arsenal
12-13-2006, 12:14 PM

haha believe me thats been a very persuasive issue... especially going to school down in miami :eek:... and not even the school girls just florida girls in general... love them

mor911
12-13-2006, 12:15 PM
And you can come party with The Mor... So it's not like you won't know anyone :hi5:

arsenal
12-13-2006, 12:19 PM
haha i know some folk in Fla, but being able to consistanly going to dolphins games is also another huge plus... id love to tailgate with the finheaven gang...

another question would be what school... i know i had miami university as one of my backup schools after high school and i got accepted, would i wanna go there? what are some of the good schools down in that area academically?

SpurzN703
12-13-2006, 12:43 PM
It's never too late to go back to school man. But it all depends on what you want to do with your life. Friends come and go no matter where you're at. It would be hard at first to not see them everyday, but as we get older, we all eventually grow apart (for the most part).

Going to school in FL sounds nice to me. But it all depends on where you wanna be in life. Don't worry about being 30 when you graduate. Age is just a number. It's where you are after you graduate that matters

DeathStar
12-13-2006, 12:50 PM
haha i know some folk in Fla, but being able to consistanly going to dolphins games is also another huge plus... id love to tailgate with the finheaven gang...

another question would be what school... i know i had miami university as one of my backup schools after high school and i got accepted, would i wanna go there? what are some of the good schools down in that area academically?

:nono:...first of all its the university of miami.

second, ya gotta learn the lingo, the school is known as the U.:D

arsenal
12-13-2006, 12:58 PM
:nono:...first of all its the university of miami.

second, ya gotta learn the lingo, the school is known as the U.:D

haha i know ima hurricane fan, i dont know why i typed it that way, but thats what happens when your typing in a rush at work...

phinpunk14
12-13-2006, 01:03 PM
wait... you're only 26, didn't go to college, and you're complaining about only making 43,000? it could be a lot worse than that. I don't want to be a jerk, but if you are having this much trouble deciding if you want to go back, you probably don't have the dedication it will take to get through college. As a senior, college takes a ton of dedication, especially the higher you go. If you are this unsure about it, you have to ask if you can be really dedicated.

arsenal
12-13-2006, 01:13 PM
i went to college but didnt graduate, more of a dumb out of high school didn't do **** attitude, and happened to be at a very difficult university so i didn't make it... but this time around i would stay dedicated with it and not be so dumb... and i live/work metro NYC, the money i make for here is not much, its all relative, cost of living is very high so so are salaries...

Amars
12-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Going back to school to get your degree is great and your still young BUT working for someone is not if you are self employed. I am self employed like you and will not go back to having a boss. Ive been self employed for awhile that I cant imagine having a 9-5 job and having a glass ceiling above my head. You make 43k right not but there is no cap on your salary being self employed.

NJFINSFAN1
12-13-2006, 03:05 PM

I failed out at the age of 20, worst thing I ever did in my life (not really caring about school). Now I'm 43 and in my second year back, its hard working, rasing kids and going to school, but I'm really enjoying it. I wish I wasn't such a hard @$$ 20 something years ago and finished then.

You can also stay in NY, work and take night classes, to me that sounds like your best bet. You can take as many classes as you want, and not have to rush it thru.

I love coaching and working with kids, so I'm back taking Phys Ed to become a teacher, and that's what I always wanted to do, sometimes being happy is better then all the money in the world!

Just my thought, good luck!

CharlestonPhan
12-13-2006, 03:14 PM
i was in a similar situation to yours. i went back to college at 27, and discovered that college was so much easier once i had matured a few years.

the work ethic and life experience you have now, coupled with that nagging little thing called a conscience will make it easier. it will be harder to just blow off studying and assignments now than it was then.

also, competing with people with degrees is a losing proposition should your situation change and the family business become a non option down the road for whateaver reason.

NJFINSFAN1
12-13-2006, 03:17 PM
i was in a similar situation to yours. i went back to college at 27, and discovered that college was so much easier once i had matured a few years.

the work ethic and life experience you have now, coupled with that nagging little thing called a conscience will make it easier. it will be harder to just blow off studying and assignments now than it was then.

also, competing with people with degrees is a losing proposition should your situation change and the family business become a non option down the road for whateaver reason.

Amen to the highlighted part, I laugh to myself at some of the kids in my classes, that was once me!!!!!

1. Test today???? I thought you meant next week
2. Paper, what paper???

It just cracks me up.

Plus I think I get more respect from most of my teachers for coming back at my age (I take a bunch of day classes so I'm with the kids)

arsenal
12-13-2006, 03:29 PM

this is also another issue, if something happens with the business where i cant continue, im screwed...

and NJ, the thing with night school is not only would it take alot longer but i already work 10 hour workdays, then going to school, and trying to find time to study to still be up at 6:00 to get to work by 7 everyday, i dont know how id handle that... no time for gym which is important to me, no time for music which is also important to me... itd be tough, ive thought about night classes, but id be doing it for a lot longer to get my full degree than if i went to school full time...

NJFINSFAN1
12-13-2006, 03:37 PM
this is also another issue, if something happens with the business where i cant continue, im screwed...

and NJ, the thing with night school is not only would it take alot longer but i already work 10 hour workdays, then going to school, and trying to find time to study to still be up at 6:00 to get to work by 7 everyday, i dont know how id handle that... no time for gym which is important to me, no time for music which is also important to me... itd be tough, ive thought about night classes, but id be doing it for a lot longer to get my full degree than if i went to school full time...

well then it comes down to what's more important to you, the job and money you have, or doing something you really want and love to do.

It took me a long time to figure out its better to be happy with what you do then to be miserable. Working in sales I would come home pissed off everyday about a client or something.

Now, I'm really at peace with the direction I'm going.

You just need (may not be easy) to do what will make you happy.

Dolfan984
12-13-2006, 03:41 PM

The Mor is right. If you're not doing it for your personal and financial well being, do it for this.

unluckyluciano
12-13-2006, 03:45 PM
You know what I kind of had a similar issue........ok not that similar but let me explain. I graduated with a BS in computer science. I always wanted to get a master degree in either a.i. or networking(yes I am a huge geek). Well around the time I was graduating I was told by a professor that I probaly would not get into grad school and if I really wanted to he'd get me into another grad program and I could use that degree to get into the computer science grad school. At first I said screw it and found a job. But after awhile it dawned on me that my dream was to have this grad degree I wanted and it wasnt going away anytime soon. So I am now working and going to grad school so that I can go to another grad school, but just doing what I want , or even just trying is good enough for me. So if you truly want to go to school and you truly dont like the family business then I say do it. Sure you may feel odd and it may be hard, with the family and all, but sometimes you just gotta do what you got to or want to do.

Miamian
12-13-2006, 04:25 PM
No need to dwell on the age issue, it's been well stated. I'll just say that I attended college with of students who were older than you are right now. The one that I would add to this is to encourage you not to career-track yourself too much. A lot of people do that and they leave college with a training, not an education. Learning about subjects like history, geography (it was my major), other languages, etc, helps you to better understand our world. If everyone just career-tracked we would probably be worse off.

arsenal
12-13-2006, 04:35 PM
No need to dwell on the age issue, it's been well stated. I'll just say that I attended college with of students who were older than you are right now. The one that I would add to this is to encourage you not to career-track yourself too much. A lot of people do that and they leave college with a training, not an education. Learning about subjects like history, geography (it was my major), other languages, etc, helps you to better understand our world. If everyone just career-tracked we would probably be worse off.

thanks everyone for your advice, very appreciated...

as for the career-tracking stuff... im not doing that when i say i dont wanna take all these other classes in college... i dont want to take those classes because i have no interest in them at all, i love computers and math and some science, but writing papers on some book written 100 years ago isn't anything i want to be a part of... i just have no interest in it, sure it can make me a more cultured person or whatever, but i really dont care about that at all... its like making a geography major like you were take calculus, whats the purpose? some extra knowledge you will never use/remember anyway, yet if you fail it you cant get your degree in the major you are actually interested in and studying for?

i dont know, ive never liked that...

Miamian
12-13-2006, 04:43 PM
thanks everyone for your advice, very appreciated...

as for the career-tracking stuff... im not doing that when i say i dont wanna take all these other classes in college... i dont want to take those classes because i have no interest in them at all, i love computers and math and some science, but writing papers on some book written 100 years ago isn't anything i want to be a part of... i just have no interest in it, sure it can make me a more cultured person or whatever, but i really dont care about that at all... its like making a geography major like you were take calculus, whats the purpose? some extra knowledge you will never use/remember anyway, yet if you fail it you cant get your degree in the major you are actually interested in and studying for?

i dont know, ive never liked that...
Okay, you can't learn something if you don't want to learn it. I would have like to have taken calculus, but I had to really struggle through trig.

Phinz4Life
12-13-2006, 04:54 PM

Coming from a 19 year old sophomore guy...hm...how much alcohol we talkin here?

:cpatch:

like2god
12-13-2006, 05:08 PM

Bro, you and I are almost in the same boat. I'm 28, I'm in a pretty good job that pays well and has the potential to pay even more and I was a little unsure about going back to college for computers. I had the same doubts about being too old and "why do I have to take English 101 when I am only interested in programming?". I already have a decent amount of knowledge about computers but noone will hire you without a degree and some experience. So I decided to swallow my pride and forget any worries about my age and I am now going to college to get my degree to become a computer programmer. I realized that there were people there my age and even some people in their 50's trying to better themselves. College isn't about how old you are, it's about wanting to learn new things to better your life. I can see myself going back for more certifications after I am finished with this degree so I can keep up with newer systems, the more you learn the better the job you can acquire.

If I were you I would definitely go back to college, it may seem like a big step now but you will thank yourself later.

Besides, college girls like older men. :wink:

retired opfinistic
12-13-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm 36 years old, and I live in a van down by the river! Go back to school, you'll never regret it!

NJFINSFAN1
12-13-2006, 05:12 PM
I would definitely go back to college, it may seem like a big step now but you will thank yourself later.

Besides, college girls like older men. :wink:

They need us to buy the beer!:lol:

like2god
12-13-2006, 05:23 PM
They need us to buy the beer!:lol:

:lol:

d-day
12-13-2006, 05:30 PM

first lesson:

arsenal + college = girls

it's science

Muck
12-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Dude, you need move down and go to school.

How many people like what they do?? You're talking to one in the IT industry. Heck, everyone in my family likes what they do. Some of us stayed in the family business. But most of us didn't. The important thing is that you pursue what you'd like to do. Because sooner or later, it's going to consume you. Better to do it now than when you have a 'real' family of your own.

As was said above, it's not about age. The last tech school I went to....I was the only guy in my class in my 20s (daytime too). Everyone was older and looking to do 'more'. Many of them were IT veterans. There will be plenty of older folk no matter where you go to school. But going in Miami.....:hump:

As someone who's also in a managerial/ownership position, I can tell you that we personally don't look for a flat-out degree. I want to see something, be it a degree, some certs, etc. Something that says you've pursued this industry and are making an attempt to learn what you need to know. So if you don't like English/Math, etc., perhaps look into a full-on, hands-on tech school. Then pursue some certs. Just one track worth considering.

arsenal
12-14-2006, 09:32 AM
yeah ive thought about certifications in IT stuff, at least starting with the A+ because i do have work experience in IT, about 3 years before i started doing what im doing now, so with a certification i could probably land a job easier, but ive never really actively pursued it...

but i leaning towards school, it would be a big change but i like change, we'll see what happens... thanks ya'll

Scrap
12-14-2006, 09:54 AM
If you want to go to school, do it. Age means nothing. What is old, really ? To one man, it's 25, to the next man, it's 85.

mor911
12-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Coming from a 19 year old sophomore guy...hm...how much alcohol we talkin here?

:cpatch:Well.... Mor's got the "older and cool" thing going for him since he's 26... So 19 years olds love letting me feel their insides.

I also have shocking good looks. :lol:

phinpunk14
12-14-2006, 01:52 PM
If you want to go to school, do it. Age means nothing. What is old, really ? To one man, it's 25, to the next man, it's 85.

a couple of years ago, we actually had a student here at the University of Kentucky that was in his 70's. He retired and decided he wished he had gone to college, so he did. As long as you have the desire and motivation, you're never to old.

themole
12-14-2006, 03:08 PM

I'm going out on a limb here, so it's all I'm going to say, the research is up to you.

You need to learn the value of time and how to gauge it. Seek out a F&AM and inquire of him how he manages his time. Of course obtaining the answer will cost you some of your time. Nothing is free. Somethings are extermely worthwhile.

Roman529
12-14-2006, 04:10 PM
I think the main thing is you have to do what will make you happy. Getting a degree is nice and it may make you more money, but a college degree doesn't gaurantee anything. Many people don't discover what they really want to do in life until later on. You can't just work for the money though or you will be miserable....I have had great paying jobs that I have hated and low paying jobs that I loved....hopefully you can love what you do so then it won't be a "job."

Good luck. :wink: