PDA

View Full Version : Experiance of a Lifetime

TXfins54
12-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Living in Texas all of my life Texas High School football is a huge thing but no one sle believes anything other than what's in the book/movie Friday Night Lights. So if you want to see what high school football is all about when you are in Texas come to a game. Judson High School's are generally the best because of a loyal crowd backed with tradition. Texans are so addcted to it that they have internet radio to listen to games. So if your ever in Texas during the 1st semester of high school come to a game. Friday Nights is what life is about in these parts :D

On a sidenote:

In the movie Friday Night Lights, Carter really was that dirty of a team and the game between Carter and Permian was only the state semifinals and not the finals...Judson High School played Carter for the championship and lost but was later rewardeed the title due to inellgible players by the Carter Cowboys. Just putting fact to fiction:1st:

themole
12-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Living in Texas all of my life Texas High School football is a huge thing but no one sle believes anything other than what's in the book/movie Friday Night Lights. So if you want to see what high school football is all about when you are in Texas come to a game. Judson High School's are generally the best because of a loyal crowd backed with tradition. Texans are so addcted to it that they have internet radio to listen to games. So if your ever in Texas during the 1st semester of high school come to a game. Friday Nights is what life is about in these parts :D

On a sidenote:

In the movie Friday Night Lights, Carter really was that dirty of a team and the game between Carter and Permian was only the state semifinals and not the finals...Judson High School played Carter for the championship and lost but was later rewardeed the title due to inellgible players by the Carter Cowboys. Just putting fact to fiction:1st:

High School football is taken very seriously everywhere in the south!

Skeet84
12-16-2006, 07:56 PM

Not everywhere. Texas and Florida are sooo far above any of the other states.

Also very interesting info

Roman529
12-16-2006, 08:04 PM
I was at Texas Tech in Lubbock in the late 80's working as a teaching assistant for a couple semesters......It was amazing the way people in West Texas support their high school football. :eek:

themole
12-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Not everywhere. Texas and Florida are sooo far above any of the other states.

Also very interesting info

Sorry, skeet. You don't know what you say. Agreed. Fl and Tex have an edge now, due to population explosion but it hasn't always been so.

Can't argue with these people:

Georgia High School Football

" Valdosta has a strong high school football tradition. The Valdosta High School Wildcats have the winningest high school football program in the country. Its record from 1913 through 2004 includes six national championships, 23 state championships, and 41 regional championships. Cross-town rival Lowndes High School has also built a strong program, winning four state titles since 1980 (including 2004 and 2005).[1]

In 2001, Valdosta High School's football coach, Mike O'Brien, told a national gathering of coaches:

Our program is 86 years old, and has been through 12 head coaches. We have only been below a .500 winning percentage five out of the 86 years. We have accumulated 39 region championships, 23 state championships, and six national championships. Here is a little fact to help you better understand how tough our region is. A team from our region has either won or played for a state championship 40 times in last 52 years. Valdosta is the winningest high school football team in America. Our record is 782-160-33. To put that into a better perspective for you, we could lose every game for the next 60 years and still have a winning percentage above .500. Of course if this were to occur I would no longer be the coach.

The team plays its home games in a large brick stadium with many amenities, including an elevator to the press box. "

Even the feared Dreadnaughts of Lakeland can't come close to this record.

But my point was, The Old South, which includes Texas BTW, takes its High School football more seriously than the rest of the states in the country. Although, Ohio, Penn. and Mich. could give good arguement against this statement. This is not just my opinion. I read a survey in USA Today some years back on this very topic.

Skeet84
12-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Sorry, skeet. You don't know what you say. Agreed. Fl and Tex have an edge now, due to population explosion but it hasn't always been so.

Can't argue with these people:

Georgia High School Football

" Valdosta has a strong high school football tradition. The Valdosta High School Wildcats have the winningest high school football program in the country. Its record from 1913 through 2004 includes six national championships, 23 state championships, and 41 regional championships. Cross-town rival Lowndes High School has also built a strong program, winning four state titles since 1980 (including 2004 and 2005).[1]

In 2001, Valdosta High School's football coach, Mike O'Brien, told a national gathering of coaches:

Our program is 86 years old, and has been through 12 head coaches. We have only been below a .500 winning percentage five out of the 86 years. We have accumulated 39 region championships, 23 state championships, and six national championships. Here is a little fact to help you better understand how tough our region is. A team from our region has either won or played for a state championship 40 times in last 52 years. Valdosta is the winningest high school football team in America. Our record is 782-160-33. To put that into a better perspective for you, we could lose every game for the next 60 years and still have a winning percentage above .500. Of course if this were to occur I would no longer be the coach.

The team plays its home games in a large brick stadium with many amenities, including an elevator to the press box. "

Even the feared Dreadnaughts of Lakeland can't come close to this record.

But my point was, The Old South, which includes Texas BTW, takes its High School football more seriously than the rest of the states in the country. Although, Ohio, Penn. and Mich. could give good arguement against this statement. This is not just my opinion. I read a survey in USA Today some years back on this very topic.

I am not saying that other states don't have great programs cause they do, But no states are like Texas and Florida and the only real argument that could be made is Cal. Florida and Texas football rules the state

King Felix
12-16-2006, 09:37 PM
best is to get hella ****ed up at the games with the students................

now thats an experiance

themole
12-16-2006, 10:22 PM
I am not saying that other states don't have great programs cause they do, But no states are like Texas and Florida and the only real argument that could be made is Cal. Florida and Texas football rules the state

Well, it does in: AL,Ga,TN,LA,MS,Ark,SC,VA,MD (NC, KY, toss up with basketball) too.

TXfins54
12-16-2006, 11:45 PM
not as much as it is in Texas...schools that have losing records sell out (they may suck but they sell more tickets than buffalo:D )texas is the link to the south and it holds HS football above almost anything else....you do make a pt that hs football is big in cali and florida as well but honestly they do not compare to texas hs football...hs soccers colorado's thing, hsbasketball is kentuky's, and hs football is TEXAS'

Cali backed out of a game for next yr because they were afraid of SLC one of the prime teams in texas...and that was the best cali had to offer

themole
12-17-2006, 12:15 AM
not as much as it is in Texas...schools that have losing records sell out (they may suck but they sell more tickets than buffalo:D )texas is the link to the south and it holds HS football above almost anything else....you do make a pt that hs football is big in cali and florida as well but honestly they do not compare to texas hs football...hs soccers colorado's thing, hsbasketball is kentuky's, and hs football is TEXAS'

Cali backed out of a game for next yr because they were afraid of SLC one of the prime teams in texas...and that was the best cali had to offer

Look, the only thing that separates West Texas football from other states is the Oil Money that built the fabulous stadiums and paid the high wages to high school coaches, that not even some small colleges could afford to pay.

I can't speak for southeast florida, because I don't go down there but I will tell you every rural Nth Fl. HS stadium is sold out every friday night if a game is being played there.

There is really no sinse in argueing this point because there are no games to compare to. I will point back to Valdosta Georgia Highs Wildcats that hold more mythical National Championships than any other school in the nation.

TXfins54
12-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Look, the only thing that separates West Texas football from other states is the Oil Money that built the fabulous stadiums and paid the high wages to high school coaches, that not even some small colleges could afford to pay.

I can't speak for southeast florida, because I don't go down there but I will tell you every rural Nth Fl. HS stadium is sold out every friday night if a game is being played there.

There is really no sinse in argueing this point because there are no games to compare to. I will point back to Valdosta Georgia Highs Wildcats that hold more mythical National Championships than any other school in the nation.
lol i know that there is nothing to argue im wanting to state my opinion...and about national championships, they mean nothing if u dont actually earn them...any sports caster or analysist can say one team won a national championship but they only earn it if they were really the only undefeated team

rob19
12-17-2006, 01:50 AM
best is to get hella ****ed up at the games with the students................

now thats an experiance

being a part of a HS Foot Ball team is also one hell of an experiance too.:D

FinSinceBirth
12-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Here's an interesting story for you on florida football. So St. Augustine Nease (Tim Tebow's HS) has been banned from the postseason for the next couple years due to recruiting violations. They have also been handed a heavy fine. What happened was because they are a private school, their students and players must pay a tuition. Well one of the players wasn't able to pay tuition and other parents and boosters payed his tuition and somebody found out. UH OH.

themole
12-17-2006, 02:18 AM
Here's an interesting story for you on florida football. So St. Augustine Nease (Tim Tebow's HS) has been banned from the postseason for the next couple years due to recruiting violations. They have also been handed a heavy fine. What happened was because they are a private school, their students and players must pay a tuition. Well one of the players wasn't able to pay tuition and other parents and boosters payed his tuition and somebody found out. UH OH.

Allen D Nease, High School, in St. Johns County Fl. of which St. Augustine is the County Seat is a public school. Not a private.

I know that Tim Tebow was a resident of Duval County, Jacksonville. Were these sanctions related to him attending Nease High?

finswin56
12-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Allen D Nease, High School, in St. Johns County Fl. of which St. Augustine is the County Seat is a public school. Not a private.

I know that Tim Tebow was a resident of Duval County, Jacksonville. Were these sanctions related to him attending Nease High?Yeah, Nease is definitely not private.

No, this wasn't an issue about Tebow.

I'm pretty certain it centers around Bill Bates (former Dallas Cowboy), who's an assistant coach. He owns a company, and is suspected of employing the father of one of the kids in order to help the family move within Nease lines (it's a pretty expensive area).

The "punishment" handed down to Nease is a sham. It's $20,000, which will be taken care of by the parents w/o a problem. Nease's students are very affluent for a public school.
The principle, A.D., and even the head coach all kept their jobs.
Money goes a long way folks. Nearly any other school would have had most of those people fired.

TXfins54
12-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Yeah, Nease is definitely not private.

No, this wasn't an issue about Tebow.

I'm pretty certain it centers around Bill Bates (former Dallas Cowboy), who's an assistant coach. He owns a company, and is suspected of employing the father of one of the kids in order to help the family move within Nease lines (it's a pretty expensive area).

The "punishment" handed down to Nease is a sham. It's $20,000, which will be taken care of by the parents w/o a problem. Nease's students are very affluent for a public school.
The principle, A.D., and even the head coach all kept their jobs.
Money goes a long way folks. Nearly any other school would have had most of those people fired.
wow florida fines there schools...all texas does is suspend them a yr for recruiting or disqualifie them from every game left

finswin56
12-17-2006, 01:05 PM
wow florida fines there schools...all texas does is suspend them a yr for recruiting or disqualifie them from every game leftDepends on the violations. I'm sure that Nease is a school with students of means, didn't hurt the decision to fine either.

TXfins54
12-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Depends on the violations. I'm sure that Nease is a school with students of means, didn't hurt the decision to fine either.
ya texas usally did the minr things in hs football