PDA

View Full Version : underground hip hop - is it dead? what's good?

Maynard the Hammer
12-17-2006, 02:38 AM
*i know there is a big hip hop/rap thread somewhere, but this is specific*

hey all. a couple or three years ago i used to listen to a good amount of this stuff, mostly just about anything by Rawkus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawkus_Records) records...mos def, talib kweli, hi tek, lyricist lounge, stuff like that. rawkus has been done for a little while i have just been listenting to rock

i pulled out some of my old CD's and i love them again.

so i ask the rap/hip hop fans on finheaven to point me in a direction where i can find some similar stuff. im not really into gansta rap too much

i like freestyling, the turntable stuff, cool samples from jazz, funk, etc.

i like jurassic 5, if that helps

Maynard the Hammer
12-18-2006, 01:56 PM
nothing, huh?

tucker
12-18-2006, 03:48 PM
undergroup hiphop imo is just as stale as mainstream...but some things i would recommend are K-os..very original sound, sean price (very good), little brother..they arent my cup of tea, but are quite popular in the underground..alot of people are saying Album of the Year is Apathy- Eastern Philosophy... Kenn Starr - starr status is pretty good and refreshing..Dilla- Donuts & The Shining

Martel
12-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Tucker is right, the underground is stale too. Check out the JayLib album the Madlib and J Dilla made a few years back. That's a good underground record.

tucker
12-18-2006, 04:27 PM
oh ya...mos def has a new album out and so does hi tek...(Black Starr) but neither are really that good....its like mos doesnt even care about rapping any more..and Pharoe Monch has some new music starting to come out and i really like it

Martel
12-19-2006, 01:52 AM
Check out "City Of Dope" by Zion I and The Grouch, it's pretty cool too.

HysterikiLL
12-19-2006, 02:11 AM
I used to love underground hip hop. Don't care much for hip hop now -- it's gotten to a pathetic point, but I still listen to some of the older stuff (90's) -- Kweli, Monch, J.U.I.C.E., Blackalicious, DPZ, and the Queens stuff of the early 90's

Da_Franchise
12-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Immortal Technique...
Tech N9ne...

arsenal
12-19-2006, 09:30 AM
if you liked rawkus stuff, cop the demigodz... they are dope, and if you like jurrassic 5, listen to little brother, or my group in the sig *wink wink* haha...

also check out royce the 5'9 though hes probably mroe gangsta rap than youd like, but hes just too dope, and joe budden is still the best out there... if you never heard him, go get the tracks, 10 mins, 3 sides to a story, dumb out, or any one of his hundreds of mixtape freestyles...

Mindwarp
12-19-2006, 09:46 AM
did someone say undergound hiphop?

Check out the following:

Y@kballz
Copywrite
RJD2
mhz
Aesop Rock
DEL tha funkee homosapien
Hot Karl

tucker
12-19-2006, 02:00 PM
did someone say undergound hiphop?

Check out the following:

Y@kballz
Copywrite
RJD2
mhz
Aesop Rock
DEL tha funkee homosapien
Hot Karlman, i cant stand every single one of those guys..although i do give Del some lee way since i do like some of his stuff....

Mindwarp
12-19-2006, 02:06 PM
man, i cant stand every single one of those guys..although i do give Del some lee way since i do like some of his stuff....

:hi5:

glad we have different taste

unluckyluciano
12-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Guru-- jazzmatazz collection is nice and mellow. Del the funky homosapien if u you have never really listened to him before. But thats old......................so good luck looking for something new. I usually keep it old unless its new Jedi Mind Tricks.

tucker
12-19-2006, 02:22 PM
:hi5:

glad we have different tastelol

also sivion is pretty good too
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

oh ya and immortal technique

unluckyluciano
12-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Immortal Technique...

If you like politics check him out. He is def a great mcee though.

PhenomenalPhin
12-19-2006, 09:15 PM
hitek came out with a new album, has some great tracks.

Da_Franchise
12-19-2006, 09:35 PM
If you like politics check him out. He is def a great mcee though.

IT is a genius. I am not sure why this guy is still singing, he's definately got alot of potential in the world.

Maynard the Hammer
12-19-2006, 10:49 PM
thanks for the feedback fellas. :up: