PDA

View Full Version : stupid quick question about weights

miamikid92
12-17-2006, 01:12 PM
stupid quick question about weights
can curling a 5 pound weight 100 times each arm make your arms bigger or is it not enough weight?

Eop05
12-17-2006, 01:37 PM
From what I've learned about weight training:

More reps of lower weights will shape and tone. Not really build mass and make larger.

Less reps of Heavier weights will build body mass and increase muscle size.

So, to answer your specific question: No, it will probably not make your arms bigger, but it may tone your arms. Even then it might be too light. Maybe try 10 lbs weights to tone and 20 lbs to build mass. Depending on your Body Mass index. If you really are 14, then you probably shouldn't overdo it on the heavy, heavy weights

FinSinceBirth
12-17-2006, 02:23 PM
From what I've learned about weight training:

More reps of lower weights will shape and tone. Not really build mass and make larger.

Less reps of Heavier weights will build body mass and increase muscle size.

So, to answer your specific question: No, it will probably not make your arms bigger, but it may tone your arms. Even then it might be too light. Maybe try 10 lbs weights to tone and 20 lbs to build mass. Depending on your Body Mass index. If you really are 14, then you probably shouldn't overdo it on the heavy, heavy weights

:yeahthat:

Also, I wouldn't do them 100 times each. That's a bit much.

like2god
12-17-2006, 06:17 PM
stupid quick question about weights
can curling a 5 pound weight 100 times each arm make your arms bigger or is it not enough weight?

I don't see any harm in lifting light weights (5-10 pounds) to tone your arms, but stay away from the heavy weights until you are older. Your body is still growing and developing, you don't want to overdue it and hurt yourself.

miamikid92
12-17-2006, 07:01 PM
ok thanks for the info guys thats what i needed to know

Caps
12-17-2006, 10:21 PM
If you're just starting out lifting weights then doing mostly isolation movements(like curls) is a waste of time.

Scrap
12-17-2006, 11:05 PM
It'll just tone ya'.

finswin56
12-17-2006, 11:56 PM
I think there are some differing view regarding lower weight and high reps being only for tone. If I remember right, Lou Ferrigno was an advocate of using that technique for building mass. I can't find where I read; it was years ago, but I do remember reading that some experts believe higher reps are very useful in building muscle.

Motion
12-18-2006, 09:48 AM
If you're just starting out lifting weights then doing mostly isolation movements(like curls) is a waste of time.

:yeahthat:

Compound movements are the best way to start, i.e. Squats, Deadlifts, pullups, etc...

14 is a little young to be seriously lifting weights regardless.

cnc66
12-18-2006, 10:12 AM
I think there are some differing view regarding lower weight and high reps being only for tone. If I remember right, Lou Ferrigno was an advocate of using that technique for building mass. I can't find where I read; it was years ago, but I do remember reading that some experts believe higher reps are very useful in building muscle.

well that surly works when you are ingesting steroids...I mean, just look at the green color he got going on....

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

SpurzN703
12-18-2006, 11:19 AM
I started lifting weights the summer before I became a freshman. Go light then work your way up. You have your whole life to be buff.

Oh, and know that doing power squats stunts your growth. I coulda been 6'2 but I turned out 5 '10 1/2. Damn weights :lol:

finswin56
12-18-2006, 11:33 AM
well that surly works when you are ingesting steroids...I mean, just look at the green color he got going on....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/superheroes/images/hulk.jpg:lol: