PDA

View Full Version : Which is better: book smarts or street smarts?

The Rev
12-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Since I began my doctoral program (so MUCH work) to try and become a professor one day, I have been doing so much research. It seems that I have been going to school for a long time and when I finish I will have gained a lot of knowledge in special education but will that degree make me that much smarter in life? Will it make me a better father? No. A better husband? No.
Better security for the future? Maybe.
So why do we spend so much time in school? I know people who just graduated high school and are making more money than me (with a masters degree and teaching special ed).
So what is ENOUGH school for you and what will it take for you to be satified in your life?
I think that I will never be satisifed in trying to make a better life for myself and my family but I can learn to be content?I think I can.
What do you think?
:wink:

finfan01
12-17-2006, 09:58 PM
I think that book smarts are more important in the business world (from what i hear)

and street smarts are good for social interactions/selling stuff:lol:

good luck on that doctorate bro!:D

PHINATIC13
12-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Rev I don't know the answer,but I will say this I've known some people who make a boat load of money are highly educated and can't stand their jobs.I've also known people who make peanuts,but love what they do for a living.Oh and as for me I'm probably somewhere in the middle that.Great topic though Rev,I'm looking forward to reading some of the replys.

DonShula84
12-17-2006, 10:10 PM
I think that book smarts are more important in the business world (from what i hear)

and street smarts are good for social interactions/selling stuff:lol:

good luck on that doctorate bro!:D

I dont know I think street smarts go a long way in the business world and networking/interview process etc. I have a friend who was one of the dumbest people I knew in high school, great guy though, great personality and he's making more money than most people I graduated with and he is one of the few who didnt go to college.

I think both are important and it just depends on your situation as to which helps you more I think.

As for myself I just hope I can find a job I dont hate. Nothing worse than being stuck at a job that makes you miserable

Roman529
12-17-2006, 11:28 PM
I think it is good to have both (book and street smarts).

My twin brother Steve barely graduated from high school but he was always a good mechanic. He is now working for ITT in Kuwait and making around $10,000 a month....way more than I will ever make. BUT, he only gets to see his kids about two weeks out of the year.....he is here visiting his kids for the next couple weeks and then back to Kuwait. I personally would rather make less money here and be able to see my kids (if I had kids).

I think it is all about priorities, and what you value. Money will never be my main thing. I just need enough to pay my bills. I have a master's degree, and spent a lot of years going to school and often thinking there has to be an easier way, but I loved going to school and miss it. You are doing the right thing Rev.

Silverphin
12-17-2006, 11:44 PM
I think it is good to have both (book and street smarts).

My twin brother Steve barely graduated from high school but he was always a good mechanic. He is now working for ITT in Kuwait and making around $10,000 a month....way more than I will ever make. BUT, he only gets to see his kids about two weeks out of the year.....he is here visiting his kids for the next couple weeks and then back to Kuwait. I personally would rather make less money here and be able to see my kids (if I had kids).

I think it is all about priorities, and what you value. Money will never be my main thing. I just need enough to pay my bills. I have a master's degree, and spent a lot of years going to school and often thinking there has to be an easier way, but I loved going to school and miss it. You are doing the right thing Rev.

:yeahthat:

Miamian
12-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Second

:yeahthat:

Prophet
12-18-2006, 02:31 PM
I've done both, am a prof. now. There are plenty of idiots that have PhDs and plenty of intelligent people without a formal education. If you ever resort to talking about your degree(s) you're going down the wrong path. People are people, there are jerks and good people everywhere. Just be real.

ih8brady
12-18-2006, 05:52 PM
It depends what you mean by the terms, and what you are looking to achieve. I've always seen streets smarts as knowledge of underhanded activity, you seem to define it as social or oratory skills. Either way, I think the gospel of Calvin says it best IMO:

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race

No guarantee of success no matter what BUT persistence is your strongest weapon to succeed.

cnc66
12-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Since I began my doctoral program (so MUCH work) to try and become a professor one day, I have been doing so much research. It seems that I have been going to school for a long time and when I finish I will have gained a lot of knowledge in special education but will that degree make me that much smarter in life? Will it make me a better father? No. A better husband? No.
Better security for the future? Maybe.
So why do we spend so much time in school? I know people who just graduated high school and are making more money than me (with a masters degree and teaching special ed).
So what is ENOUGH school for you and what will it take for you to be satified in your life?
I think that I will never be satisifed in trying to make a better life for myself and my family but I can learn to be content?I think I can.
What do you think?
:wink:

the four caulksmen will keep you up to speed on your practical factors Rev....:goof:

Aqua4Ever04
12-18-2006, 06:00 PM
I am one who thikns you don't need a dime to your credit in order to be happy. As long as you can except who you are and think life is a blessing, than you will be fine.

Now, I think streets are more important because I wouldn't want to be someone who can't handle people. I love just talking about anything with someone and making interactions. Like I said, happiness isn't measured in success, but how you affect those closest to you in life.

BigDogsHunt
12-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Rev -

Certianly its not and either/or proposition.

Eleanor Roosevelt - “One of the best ways of enslaving a people is to keep them from education.”

and

Proverb - “A single conversation across the table with a wise man is worth a month's study of books.”

Street smarts are how one often measures themselves or contrasts themselves in comparison to society and lifes daily lesson. Can you survive? Can you achieve? Can you be viewed an equal? But not in a knowledgeable viewpoint only, but rather as defined, in comparison to the "streets".

Book smarts should never be viewed as less then or greater than street smarts. Education is about expanding ones perspective beyond the "streets" they live in and experiencing worlds and ideas that help them break down barriers and sterotypes.

Do both, always use both, and never stop yearning for knowledge. Apply what you learn to your everyday life and you accomplish the street wisdom of a scholarly mind.

Unknown - “Wisdom is a life that knows it is living.”

Best wishes....

Dolfan984
12-18-2006, 06:17 PM
I developed my book smarts in my younger grades, and have just been a consistant student. By the time I got into jr. high - high school my street smarts had been developed a lot more. For more fiscal and concrete things, I'd say book smarts is better. For everything else, street smarts.