PDA

View Full Version : The truth about the PS3's backwards compatibility.

rob19
12-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Well its been pretty slow in here lately so i found this video on youtube about "The truth about the ps3's backwards compatibility"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs

It's pretty popular on youtube, im suprised no ones posted it yet. Anyway its pretty interesting nonetheless. Enjoy.

ps: Im not bashing the ps3, just thought it was interesting:wink:

dQbell
12-18-2006, 08:39 PM
I'd like to refute that with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3XX_1tpcqE&mode=related&search=

:sidelol:

rob19
12-18-2006, 08:55 PM

:lol: yeah theres a crap load of responses to that video, im telling you its pretty popular on youtube.

Majpain
12-18-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm sure future System patches will fix this. I said Sony would get off to a slow start.

tory
12-19-2006, 09:25 AM
if this is true, it's a real shame.

Mike13
12-19-2006, 12:23 PM
There were jagged edges on the MGS 2 and on FFX the colors were sharper on the PS2.

I'm sure they'll release a patch to fix this.

Predaphin
12-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Well its been pretty slow in here lately so i found this video on youtube about "The truth about the ps3's backwards compatibility"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs

It's pretty popular on youtube, im suprised no ones posted it yet. Anyway its pretty interesting nonetheless. Enjoy.

ps: Im not bashing the ps3, just thought it was interesting:wink:

Well, i'm not sure about you guys, but this doesn't bother me at all.

I mean honestly, how many of you still play your PS1 games on your PS2???

The reason i'm buying a next gen console, is to to play next gen games. In a couple of months no one will care because all PS2 games will be traded in to EBgames for PS3 games.

I could see this being an issue for the first couple of months simply because there aren't that many games out for the PS3, but soon, no one will care.

:rolleyes:

Majpain
12-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Actually I wouldnt mind playing classic games Like legend of Dragoon, FF7 and other games.

SKing29
12-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Actually I wouldnt mind playing classic games Like legend of Dragoon, FF7 and other games.

Yeah, I agree I still play Metal Gear Solid, some of the Resident Evil games, and a few other games from the PS1 on my PS2. So I would like for the PS3 to support backwards compatibility, and since Sony promised this they should deliver and I really hope they do, or they'll be losing a lot of their fans to the XBOX 360 and the Wii.

rob19
12-19-2006, 07:01 PM

The reason i'm buying a next gen console, is to to play next gen games. In a couple of months no one will care because all PS2 games will be traded in to EBgames for PS3 games.

I could see this being an issue for the first couple of months simply because there aren't that many games out for the PS3, but soon, no one will care.

Im with you, i really dont care because i dont really have that many PS2 games. On the other hand, a friend of mine is really disapointed because he really likes all the FF games, and plays them all the time. So it might be a problem for people who do have/play alot of PS2 games. Im sure itll be fixed at some point in the future.:wink:

Majpain
12-19-2006, 09:59 PM
If they dont fix this problem I will be shocked.

Predaphin
12-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I agree I still play Metal Gear Solid, some of the Resident Evil games, and a few other games from the PS1 on my PS2. So I would like for the PS3 to support backwards compatibility, and since Sony promised this they should deliver and I really hope they do, or they'll be losing a lot of their fans to the XBOX 360 and the Wii.

I just feel that the PS1 graphics aren't all that good to begin with anyway....there isn't much of a difference in the compared graphics.....I mean, you can see the difference, but it's not that big of a deal because it's not like the PS1 has next gen graphics....

SKing29
12-20-2006, 01:29 PM
I just feel that the PS1 graphics aren't all that good to begin with anyway....there isn't much of a difference in the compared graphics.....I mean, you can see the difference, but it's not that big of a deal because it's not like the PS1 has next gen graphics....

Yeah, I understand what your saying but for me its nice just being able to play PS1 games in my PS2, because first off I never bought a PS1 so my PS2 was what introduced me to the great PS1 games. Now I now that everybody and their mother has a PS2 and that nobody will be discovering the great PS2 games by getting a PS3, but some people don't want to have to keep their PS2 system out and have to keep it plugged up and switch out the AV cables and all that (for us common gamers that just use a regular tv to play on) and would rather just pop their old PS2 games into their PS3. Ultimately my final decision on the backwards compatibility would be that backwards compatibility wouldn't put a complete stop to me buying a PS3 because I believe they will fix these problems, but for a system billed as the greatest most powerful system ever made and a system that makes you pay a high price for that billing they should of had all of their crap together before selling a product that was unfinished, just to get money for the the holiday season and to make sure the XBOX 360 and Wii, don't get to far ahead. The fact is that although backwards compatibility is not going to stop people from buying the system in itself, it will give people the little nugget of doubt in their minds about the PS3, and when they look at the 360 which has comparable graphics and is much more polished at this point they will choose the 360, or they may look at how much fun the Wii is being billed as and choose it, so although the backwards compatability isn't a huge hitch it could become that in the eyes of common gamers and more hardcore gamers that are tired of Sony's shortcomings and see just how much more unique experiences they can have with the Wii or how they can get a PS3 with a cheaper price and great games like the Halo series or Gears of War with the 360. So maybe the backwards compatability issue won't be that big of a deal and Sony will overcome it or maybe it will just keep adding to the struggles they are having with the PS3, only time will tell.

PhinSoldia
12-20-2006, 03:25 PM

sanity at its finest....good post sir

Dolfan984
12-20-2006, 05:06 PM
I won't get one until this is 100% fixed.

Predaphin
12-21-2006, 03:48 PM
You know, they stopped making Xbox games....they are now making Xbox360 games only.....

Is that a reason not to buy an Xbox 360?

Heck, for the Xbox 360 to work backwards...It's mandatory that you have Xbox Live or else you're not going to play any Xbox games at all.....

I have an Xbox 360, but why would I want to bother playing regular Xbox games when I have great games with awesome graphics like Rainbow six, who make regular Xbox games like Halo look very generic...

One of the biggest mistakes I made about a year ago was buying Madden 05 for the PS2 when the first "Collectors" edition came out....I just thought to myself, wow, I'll spend those extra 10 dollars and I get to play those good old Madden games I played growing up....all the way back to Madden 98....I thought it would be fun....I played an old classic game of Madden ONCE and never again did I play an old classic game....I just thought it was generic...It wasn't as fun as when I played the first PS1 Madden that came out....I remember getting excited about watching a movie clip of James Brown introducing the 2 teams that were playing...But now, it was just a generic game...it got boring really fast....it may be from being spoiled by all the current features and graphics....Never again will I buy the collectors edition...

All in all, just how much time do you guys put in playing old games??? Enough not to purchase a next gen console???

I hate to be sounding like a Sony rep....but i'm just trying to justify the put downs for the PS3....

rob19
12-22-2006, 01:05 AM
You know, they stopped making Xbox games....they are now making Xbox360 games only.....

Is that a reason not to buy an Xbox 360?

Heck, for the Xbox 360 to work backwards...It's mandatory that you have Xbox Live or else you're not going to play any Xbox games at all.....

I have an Xbox 360, but why would I want to bother playing regular Xbox games when I have great games with awesome graphics like Rainbow six, who make regular Xbox games like Halo look very generic...

One of the biggest mistakes I made about a year ago was buying Madden 05 for the PS2 when the first "Collectors" edition came out....I just thought to myself, wow, I'll spend those extra 10 dollars and I get to play those good old Madden games I played growing up....all the way back to Madden 98....I thought it would be fun....I played an old classic game of Madden ONCE and never again did I play an old classic game....I just thought it was generic...It wasn't as fun as when I played the first PS1 Madden that came out....I remember getting excited about watching a movie clip of James Brown introducing the 2 teams that were playing...But now, it was just a generic game...it got boring really fast....it may be from being spoiled by all the current features and graphics....Never again will I buy the collectors edition...

All in all, just how much time do you guys put in playing old games??? Enough not to purchase a next gen console???

I hate to be sounding like a Sony rep....but i'm just trying to justify the put downs for the PS3....

lol dude, Im with you on this, "I" dont even care about the PS3's backwards compatibility, i just thought it was pretty interesting and thought id post it. I do still play Fable TLC for the 360 alot though, so it would probably be a problem for me but not a big enough problem to deter me from bying the system...... Im also gonna guess you were the one who gave it 3 stars:tantrum: when its clearly a 5 star thread!:lol: jk preda. good post.

Predaphin
12-22-2006, 12:59 PM
lol dude, Im with you on this, "I" dont even care about the PS3's backwards compatibility, i just thought it was pretty interesting and thought id post it. I do still play Fable TLC for the 360 alot though, so it would probably be a problem for me but not a big enough problem to deter me from bying the system...... Im also gonna guess you were the one who gave it 3 stars:tantrum: when its clearly a 5 star thread!:lol: jk preda. good post.

LoL...actually, beleive it or not, I gave this thread 5 stars because I thought it was a great topic and everyone has been discussing it like adults....it hasn't gotten out of hand.

Despite me giving it 5 stars though, I noticed it didn't even bump up the rating. The 3 stars were already there when I voted...

Metal Panda
12-23-2006, 08:31 PM

What exactly was funny about the video other than the fact that the guy is your stereotypical country bumpkin?