PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: Breaking News: Iverson traded to Nuggets

Section126
12-19-2006, 04:32 PM
AI for Joe Smith Andre Miller and two draft picks. Highway robbery.

305TillIDie
12-19-2006, 04:33 PM
just saw it on ESPN

Marc Stein reports it

more on this later

tylerdolphin
12-19-2006, 04:33 PM
AI for Joe Smith Andre Miller and two draft picks. Highway robbery.
I was on here to break the news and you beat me to it! :tongue: :lol:

dreday
12-19-2006, 04:35 PM
I guess my first premonition was correct.:lol: I guess we get to watch him up here at the Pepsi Center.

305TillIDie
12-19-2006, 04:37 PM
I guess my first premonition was correct.:lol: I guess we get to watch him up here at the Pepsi Center.yeah..i knew he was going to Denver or Minnesota..Joe Smith, Andre Miller and draft picks..what a steal for the Nuggets

dominizzo
12-19-2006, 04:40 PM
yeah..i knew he was going to Denver or Minnesota..Joe Smith, Andre Miller and draft picks..what a steal for the Nuggets

woooow

dreday
12-19-2006, 04:42 PM
yeah..i knew he was going to Denver or Minnesota..JR Smith, Andre Miller and draft picks..what a steal for the Nuggets
Yep, Spurs-Nuggets games might get more interesting.Gonna have to get my tickets now.

finfansince72
12-19-2006, 04:43 PM
You would have thought they could have gotten a great young player or at least draft picks from a team that would be in the lottery to increase their chances in the lottery.

Section126
12-19-2006, 04:46 PM
yeah..i knew he was going to Denver or Minnesota..JR Smith, Andre Miller and draft picks..what a steal for the Nuggets

Not JR Smith...it was JOE SMITH. yeah..that Joe Smith.

phinphan896
12-19-2006, 04:46 PM
thats joe smith, not JR smith

305TillIDie
12-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Not JR Smith...it was JOE SMITH. yeah..that Joe Smith.horrible deal for the sixers..Joe Smith? why him? :lol:

Andre Miller is a nice player..but the Joe Smith pickup was kinda dumb

Section126
12-19-2006, 04:48 PM
I am beginning to think that Billy King is not only stupid, but a masochist as well.

finfansince72
12-19-2006, 04:49 PM
I am beginning to think that Billy King is not only stupid, but a masochist as well.

Is Billy King related to Matt Millen? Distant cousins maybe? Kings fired, not even a question about it, just when. Sixer fans should be outraged about how this whole situation started and ended.

phinphan896
12-19-2006, 04:50 PM
horrible deal for the sixers..Joe Smith? why him? :lol:

Andre Miller is a nice player..but the Joe Smith pickup was kinda dumb
probably an expiring contract. Its not a steal because Phillys gonna have three first round pick in this years draft, which is deep as hell

NJFINSFAN1
12-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Well, the 76ers will have 3 first round picks to play with.

305TillIDie
12-19-2006, 04:53 PM
probably an expiring contract. Its not a steal because Phillys gonna have three first round pick in this years draft, which is deep as hell I guess the Nuggets told them you can have Joe Smith if you want the 3 picks :lol:

finfansince72
12-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Well, the 76ers will have 3 first round picks to play with.

Yea but the two they traded for are projected to be in the 20s. Those arent that valuable in the NBA. They are nice throwins on a trade for a young player but Miller and Smith? Cmon, Miller is nice but to not get a really quality young player in return for Iverson, just projected 20something draft picks is lunacy.

phinphan896
12-19-2006, 04:55 PM
I personally dont lyk the trade for denver. To me AI is just another scorer lyk anthony. What they really need to make that offense go is a point guard to distribute the ball lyk miller. IDK i dont think it was a great trade. It will put fans in seats but i think its a step back towards winning a championship. its doesnt put them over the top in my opinion

bullseyeguy
12-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Philly won the Oden sweepstakes....

NJFINSFAN1
12-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Yea but the two they traded for are projected to be in the 20s. Those arent that valuable in the NBA. They are nice throwins on a trade for a young player but Miller and Smith? Cmon, Miller is nice but to not get a really quality young player in return for Iverson, just projected 20something draft picks is lunacy.

Oh, I don't like it, but three picks will be nice to have, they will have one lottery, so they could put a nice package together for something!

Slappy8800
12-19-2006, 04:59 PM
wat is lyk?

phinphan896
12-19-2006, 05:00 PM
wat is lyk?

dreday
12-19-2006, 05:01 PM
C Camby
PF Nene/Najera/Evans
SF Anthony
SG Smith
PG Iverson
Hmm....Nuggets might have something for a few seasons.

phinphan896
12-19-2006, 05:02 PM
C Camby
PF Nene/Najera/Evans
SF Anthony
SG Smith
PG Iverson
Hmm....Nuggets might have something for a few seasons.
the only problem i see is that they have no one to distribute the ball. Anthony and AI are ball hogs and Smith chucks up threes like theres no 2moro.

dreday
12-19-2006, 05:05 PM
the only problem i see is that they have no one to distribute the ball. Anthony and AI are ball hogs and Smith chucks up threes like theres no 2moro.
Im sure coach Karl has a plan of some sort...The thing is,its bad for Philly.They couldnt get anything better than an overrated Andre Miller?Denver made out.

Vertical Limit
12-19-2006, 05:08 PM
lol. That line up will get them to the 2nd round or Conference championship, the furthest.

That lineup is filled with ball hogs and egos. The Spurs, Mavericks, and Suns still have more complete teams in the West.

dreday
12-19-2006, 05:11 PM
lol. That line up will get them to the 2nd round or Conference championship, the furthest.

That lineup is filled with ball hogs and egos. The Spurs, Mavericks, and Suns still have more complete teams in the West.
Just wait and see,I bet they become a contender now...No telling how far they may go now.BTW this sucks for all those other teams you just mentioned.

ILPhinFan88
12-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Well, atleast I dont have to root against him here in the East. So much for Denver looseing 30+ points a game for 15 games now.

Oh yeah, King is an IDIOT.

ChambersWI
12-19-2006, 05:16 PM
what people need to realize is the 6ers wanted draft picks, and expiring contracts for AI, they weren't going to go after big name guys especially JR Smith (attitude, Plus they're set at swingman), or Nene ($60 million contract, and has yet to show he deserves it).

Basically, the 6ers got what they wanted, 3 first round picks in what looks to be a deep draft.

It was a good deal for both sides, and is definatly not a repeat of the Vince Carter trade (Andre Miller alone is better than Eric and Aaron Williams combined).

Will be interesting to see how both teams do with Miller arriving/gone. One of the 6ers main problems is lack of playmaking at PG (Kevin Ollie,Willie Green, and Louis Williams?), while Miller was the only guy on Denver who could distribute.

Ferretsquig
12-19-2006, 05:19 PM
All the Sixers were asking for was expiring deals and picks. This has nothing to do with the talent level of Smith and Miller. Both will be gone at the end of the season if King can't buy them out sooner. The previous poster was right.....the Sixers are going for Oden. If they luck out they'll get the first overall pick, otherwise they have the ammo to trade up for it.

Its a good deal for the Sixers.....now if they can only find a way to dump Webber....I'm guessing buyout negotiations will be starting soon.

Vertical Limit
12-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Just wait and see,I bet they become a contender now...No telling how far they may go now.BTW this sucks for all those other teams you just mentioned.
I don't think you have anything to worry about, really. IMO, the Suns [with a fully healthy Amare] and Spurs are the Top 2 teams in the West.

That Nuggets lineup looks more like an And1 team in my eyes. :lol: This is professional basketball, not street ball.

dreday
12-19-2006, 05:20 PM
what people need to realize is the 6ers wanted draft picks, and expiring contracts for AI, they weren't going to go after big name guys especially JR Smith (attitude, Plus they're set at swingman), or Nene ($60 million contract, and has yet to show he deserves it).

Basically, the 6ers got what they wanted, 3 first round picks in what looks to be a deep draft.

It was a good deal for both sides, and is definatly not a repeat of the Vince Carter trade (Andre Miller alone is better than Eric and Aaron Williams combined).

Will be interesting to see how both teams do with Miller arriving/gone. One of the 6ers main problems is lack of playmaking at PG (Kevin Ollie,Willie Green, and Louis Williams?), while Miller was the only guy on Denver who could distribute.

I think Millers contract is expiring too,maybe this trade makes a lil more sense.

dreday
12-19-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't think you have anything to worry about, really. IMO, the Suns [with a fully healthy Amare] and Spurs are the Top 2 teams in the West.

That Nuggets lineup looks more like an And1 team in my eyes. :lol: This is professional basketball, not street ball.

It may look like that now,but:110 points per game before AI and with a slow point guard leading the way?And now they'll be able to press fullcourt like the old Sonics used to do. Karls life span as a coach is short,but if the parts fall together right they are gonna be a power.Also AI is one player the Spurs have really had problems stopping.

Vertical Limit
12-19-2006, 05:33 PM
You think this team can challenge against the best? Who's going to play defense in the Nuggets? Camby isn't the same player he used to be.

Against the Heat earlier this season, this team lacked defense on the paint. Alonzo had his way against them, and Alonzo isn't even much of a scoring threat. Their defense is pathetic (I am willing to say that the Suns have better defense than the Nuggets), and when the other teams figure it out, they will get exposed.

They can score all they want and win all those games in the regular season, but defense wins in the postseason.

ChambersWI
12-19-2006, 05:34 PM
I think Millers contract is expiring too,maybe this trade makes a lil more sense.

Miller has 2 years left on his deal.

I hear a lot of people say this is like the Raps trading VC. Ther is a huge difference. The 6ers got a relatively young PG in Miller who can create for himself and others, and have him for 2 years, and a PF in Joe Smith who's contract is expiring, but if they play him, can add offense. Plus, they;kk have 3 first round picks.

As of right now the Rapcs traded VC, for TJ Ford (Villanueva) and Joey Graham. Eric Williams and Aaron Williams barely contributed, and Zo never played for the Raps.

finfansince72
12-19-2006, 05:36 PM
I dont know, I think Iverson did fine by himself, getting to the Championship. They dont need to get everyone else involved, if the team plays defense and Iverson/Melo put up in the playoffs the team is a nightmare matchup to guard.

dreday
12-19-2006, 05:37 PM
You think this team can challenge against the best? Who's going to play defense in the Nuggets? Camby isn't the same player he used to be.

Against the Heat earlier this season, this team lacked defense on the paint. Alonzo had his way against them, and Alonzo isn't even much of a scoring threat. Their defense is pathetic (I am willing to say that the Suns have better defense than the Nuggets), and when the other teams figure it out, they will get exposed.

They can score all they want and win all those games in the regular season, but defense wins in the postseason.
You can say the Suns D is better, but thats debateable too.They still dont play great defense,yet they have been in the playoffs the last few years..See the NJ game they went to double overtime with.Like I said if the parts gel together like Denver thinks they will, they could cause some trouble.They more than likely arent winning anything this year, but they will contend.

dreday
12-19-2006, 05:44 PM
More than likely w'ell see this again anyways:lol:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://show.simpload.com/121945885e3248c8c.jpg?server=s1)

In_Flames
12-19-2006, 05:55 PM

http://s1.simpload.com/121945885e3248c8c.jpg (http://show.simpload.com/121945885e3248c8c.jpg?server=s1)

:yes:

Vertical Limit
12-19-2006, 06:06 PM

http://s1.simpload.com/121945885e3248c8c.jpg (http://show.simpload.com/121945885e3248c8c.jpg?server=s1)
Nah, more than likely, you will see the picture in my avatar, except with two championship trophies (back to back). :D I heard Pat Riley plans to three-pete before he retires again.

Majpain
12-19-2006, 06:09 PM
They just wanted the 2 1st round picks. Miller is a added bonus while Smith is err ugh garbage. Damn it I wanted Iverson in Minny.

dreday
12-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Nah, more than likely, you will see the picture in my avatar, except with two championship trophies (back to back). :D I heard Pat Riley plans to three-pete before he retires again.
:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: W'ell see.Yall better hope you get Shaq and the rest of that supporting cast back healthy before you dont even make the playoffs....Its still very early but you all need to start piling up some victories soon.

Vertical Limit
12-19-2006, 06:20 PM
:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: W'ell see.Yall better hope you get Shaq and the rest of that supporting cast back healthy before you dont even make the playoffs....Its still very early but you all need to start piling up some victories soon.
Beleive it or not, the record does not tell the whole story. Miami has been playing some good team basketball lately, but with a few injuries [Shaq and Jason Williams], we just haven't had enough depth to win games.

Yeah, we need Shaq back for he can share the minutes with Alonzo. Alonzo is playing his best basketball since the kidney transplant, but he can't handle the load.

Now that Jason Williams is back [still not 100%, but will get there soon], we're 8-1 with him starting. 8-0 when both Jason Williams and Dwyane Wade starting.

Roman529
12-19-2006, 06:51 PM
I guess my first premonition was correct.:lol: I guess we get to watch him up here at the Pepsi Center.

Yep Dre....off to the Pepsi Center for me. I love it. :tongue: Sixers made out well.......YIPPIE!!!!!

djfresh47
12-19-2006, 06:59 PM
It's a good deal for both teams. Even if the Sixers don't end up with Oden next years draft should be pretty deep. Joe Smith was part of the deal because he's an expiring contract. Bringing in AI gives the Nuggets a chance to maybe take Phoenix, SA, or Dallas to 5 games instead of being swept in the 2nd rd if they make it that far.

Fresh
12-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Let's see.......

-Deep draft, but those two picks are gonna be in the 20's.

-Andre Miller is a good player, but Billy King is highly overrating him.

-Joe Smith has an expiring contract, so that's good for Philly.

-Miller is making about $8.6 million this year, did he get an extension last year? If not, then he's off the books as well.

-Philly is now one of the league's worse, so they've got a good shot at Oden or Durant.

-If Philly winds up with Durant, they can try and deal Carney for a young PG.

Overall, I think it was a stupid move by Philly. It'd have been better to acquire a young player + one first round selection. They REALLY should've held out and kept pushing for Livingston or Foye. I think Minnesota would've broke and dished out Foye, but Livingston was probably a "no" from the get go.

As for Denver, I don't think this is going to work at all. Carmelo Anthony is the biggest ball hog in the NBA, and he's on pace to be the biggest one in NBA history. He can play off the ball, but I don't know how patient he's going to be with Iverson running the floor. Will he allow the game to come with him with some slow nights, or is he just gonna go off and force shots? I think option #2 is clear and obvious.

Amars
12-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Well great that makes the Western Conference even harder. I knew that the 76ers weren't gonna trade within their own conference.

Bumrush
12-19-2006, 07:31 PM
This is a match made in hell for Denver. I'm sorry but two selfish ballhog egos like Iverson and Melo will lead to disaster. Iverson+Melo = a lot of future conflict in Denver.

Roman529
12-19-2006, 07:41 PM
This is a match made in hell for Denver. I'm sorry but two selfish ballhog egos like Iverson and Melo will lead to disaster. Iverson+Melo = a lot of future conflict in Denver.

I think it is a great deal for both sides.....The Pepsi Center is going to be rocking....Sixers get three first rounders. Gonna buy me an Iverson Nuggets jersey. :tongue:

dreday
12-19-2006, 07:45 PM
I think it is a great deal for both sides.....The Pepsi Center is going to be rocking....Sixers get three first rounders. Gonna buy me an Iverson Nuggets jersey. :tongue:
Not sure about both sides,but the Nuggets will be fine.They played together well on Team USA.Hell they played together better than Wade and LBJ.Theyll be good.

Roman529
12-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Not sure about both sides,but the Nuggets will be fine.They played together well on Team USA.Hell they played together better than Wade and LBJ.Theyll be good.

Gonna be watching them play the Suns on Altitude Sports....the Suns have that big winning streak.....some radio guys here said Denver agreed to the deal because they need the fans in the seats until Melo comes back. :lol:

finfan01
12-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Allen Iverson is now officially traded to the Denver Nuggets........finally

http://aol.nba.com/nuggets/news/nuggets_acquire_iverson_121906.html

Roman529
12-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Allen Iverson is now officially traded to the Denver Nuggets........finally

http://aol.nba.com/nuggets/news/nuggets_acquire_iverson_121906.html

old news. :lol:

Daytona Fin
12-19-2006, 09:02 PM
the sixers will be the winner of this trade by far. not this season though. AI is just like TO. this guy is a cancer. Ive been a sixers fan for a long time and cant express to you how glad i am to have this overated trouble maker off my team. thank god and good riddens. have fun nuggets fans you're in for a ride. the sixers will now concentrate on losing games so they can draft oden. they will probably trade up in the 1st round with the other 2 picks and possibly weber to get another young star. they will finally have solid nucleus to build around and get back to a winning franchise , like the dr.j,moses malone days. with oden,kyle korver and another young 1st rounder this will be a great trio to do this with.

finfan01
12-19-2006, 09:03 PM
old news. :lol:

really?????dam..I just heard it

sorry every1

Daunt8TDChris84
12-20-2006, 12:15 AM
What was wrong with jason williams,jason kapono and 2 draft picks?

Caps
12-20-2006, 12:29 AM
I guess Antoine for Iverson straight up didn't get the job done:lol:

Buddwalk
12-20-2006, 04:15 AM
what i still dont get is that they knew they wanted to trade iverson all this time, and when the draft came around they passed on a pg of the future in marcus williams and took rodney carney instead :nono:

They have there hearts set on greg oden...who actually is a player they can rebuild there franchise around

DonShula84
12-20-2006, 06:45 AM
General Manager Elgin Baylor and Coach Mike Dunleavy declined to comment on their efforts to acquire the four-time scoring champion, but team sources said the Clippers apparently made every player available to Philadelphia except Elton Brand, Chris Kaman and Shaun Livingston.

Moreover, the Clippers were willing to trade their own first-round draft pick this season and the lottery-protected first-round pick they received in the Sam Cassell trade. Many in the front office acknowledged Corey Maggette was the centerpiece of the Clippers' final proposal, which also probably included Cuttino Mobley, Zeljko Rebraca and the draft choices.

If the Clippers get Minnesota's pick for June's draft, both could be higher than the Nuggets' two first-round picks, projected to be in the 20s.

The Clippers figured Philadelphia would come back to them before trading Iverson, sources said, because the Clippers' offer was considered better than Denver's best bid.

Wonder why the Sixers never went back to the Clippers. The deal with Denver must have offered more salary cap relief?

phunwin
12-20-2006, 08:47 AM
All things considered, the Sixers could have done worse. They're still moving Iverson for a fraction of his true value, of course, but they get cap relief and 2 first round picks in what looks like a VERY deep draft.

As for the Nuggets, GREAT deal for them. To those wondering how George Karl will get Iverson and Anthony to co-exist, remember that he used to get Glenn Robinson and Ray Allen to work together, and neither of those guys was real fond of passing the ball, either. It'll work. Moreover, though Iverson's a ballhog, he can (and will) pass the ball at times. Plus, he's never had a guy anywhere near as good as Anthony to whom he can pass the ball.

phunwin
12-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Wonder why the Sixers never went back to the Clippers. The deal with Denver must have offered more salary cap relief?

The Sixers must be set on getting as much cap relief as possible, blowing up, and starting over. I think that's a mistake, personally, since it's seldom worked, but at least Billy King is setting up a clean slate for the guy who will succeed him as GM. That's darned nice of him.

Anyway, Magette is signed to a long-term deal, and is more of a complementary piece than a guy around whom you can rebuild.

Mike13
12-20-2006, 12:10 PM

Exactly, and it seems they wanted some cap relief. Miller isn't bad but he's overrated. I don't know whay the hell they wanted Joe Smith.

It should be intresting to see how Melo and AI get along.

phunwin
12-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Exactly, and it seems they wanted some cap relief. Miller isn't bad but he's overrated. I don't know whay the hell they wanted Joe Smith.

Because Smith provides the cap relief. His $6.8M comes off the cap after this year.

finfansince72
12-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Because Smith provides the cap relief. His $6.8M comes off the cap after this year.

I can understand the cap relief angle, but cap space doesnt mean that much in the NBA, the great players get resigned or traded. I think to me I always look at Superstar Trades and say 'if you don't get another Superstar in return its a bad deal'. I cant remember which coach said it but the quote was basically 'cap space doesnt score or rebound or win games'.
Now if their lottery pick turns into Oden and they can draft some depth with the other two picks its a moot point, but if they get some project in the lottery they will stink for years and years. Philly fans dont exactly strike me as the patient type if the Sixers draft another Shawn Bradley with that lottery pick.

Ferretsquig
12-20-2006, 01:42 PM
I can understand the cap relief angle, but cap space doesnt mean that much in the NBA, the great players get resigned or traded. I think to me I always look at Superstar Trades and say 'if you don't get another Superstar in return its a bad deal'. I cant remember which coach said it but the quote was basically 'cap space doesnt score or rebound or win games'.

It may not but it got the Lakers three titles.

finfansince72
12-20-2006, 02:38 PM

You have to sign and trade nowadays, the capspace is nice but its only for midlevel freeagents the bigtime players are rarely leaving nowadays.

phunwin
12-20-2006, 02:40 PM

In a way, that was one of the single worst things to happen to the NBA. Shaq to the Lakers was a classic example of right guy, right team, right time, and now every second-rate team run by a third-rate GM thinks that if they just keep clearing cap space endlessly, they can replicate that plan. As a result, star players with long-term deals get devalued tremendously, and it leads to teams giving assets away for much less than fair value.

finfansince72
12-20-2006, 04:04 PM
In a way, that was one of the single worst things to happen to the NBA. Shaq to the Lakers was a classic example of right guy, right team, right time, and now every second-rate team run by a third-rate GM thinks that if they just keep clearing cap space endlessly, they can replicate that plan. As a result, star players with long-term deals get devalued tremendously, and it leads to teams giving assets away for much less than fair value.

Well Isiah must be a 4th rate GM, he actually probaly could have gotten a LeBron or someone like that to move to NY. I mean lets face it, Shaq wanted to make movies, get more endorsements, etc, along with going to a more historic franchise, Philly might be a step up for some players but I think really only LA or NY could actually just get a player to take less salary than their hometeam can offer to move there.

Ferretsquig
12-20-2006, 05:16 PM

With the exception of the Pistons, every championship in this generation has been won by a team with the player considered the one of the two or three best or most dominant in the league. Whether it be Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, Jordan, or Wade... Frankly the odds of a GM getting one of those players either by lucking out through FA like the Lakers or lucking out via the lottery like Miami or Cleveland is greater than lucking out as many times as Dumars did in building the Pistons. So what is better, clearing cap space and tanking it with the hope of landing Oden or signing Wade/Bosh/Lebron in 3 years or trying to build the next Piston team?

I think we can all agree that while Iverson is a great player, noone is going to put him in the top two or three. Mabey for one season he could be uttered in the same sentence with Shaq and Duncan, but now hes simply an aging star. Odds are King will get the better of this deal, if he can manage to hit with one of the picks he gets in return. The record of 30+ yr old stars performing as well as they did in their previous surroundings after being traded isn't all that great.

Fresh
12-20-2006, 06:43 PM
What was wrong with jason williams,jason kapono and 2 draft picks?

Where'd you hear that ridiculous rumor from?

First off, that doesn't work cap wise, second off.. that was never offered.

Riley isn't dumb enough to throw something like that out there.

phunwin
12-21-2006, 09:03 AM
With the exception of the Pistons, every championship in this generation has been won by a team with the player considered the one of the two or three best or most dominant in the league. Whether it be Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, Jordan, or Wade... Frankly the odds of a GM getting one of those players either by lucking out through FA like the Lakers or lucking out via the lottery like Miami or Cleveland is greater than lucking out as many times as Dumars did in building the Pistons. So what is better, clearing cap space and tanking it with the hope of landing Oden or signing Wade/Bosh/Lebron in 3 years or trying to build the next Piston team?

I think we can all agree that while Iverson is a great player, noone is going to put him in the top two or three. Mabey for one season he could be uttered in the same sentence with Shaq and Duncan, but now hes simply an aging star. Odds are King will get the better of this deal, if he can manage to hit with one of the picks he gets in return. The record of 30+ yr old stars performing as well as they did in their previous surroundings after being traded isn't all that great.

I don't have a problem wanting to build through the draft, or trying to trade for a superduperstar (people forget this now, but the Rockets were dead set on moving Hakeem at one point, I think it was 1991 or 92, but ultimately they thought better of it). My point was merely that the "clear cap space and sign a big-time free agent" thing has worked exactly as planned just once. The Magic made it work, too, in getting Hill and McGrady, but Hill was a collosal bust, and McGrady was later dealt for 50 cents on the dollar, and the guy they really wanted, Duncan, never really considered them. Like I said, Shaq to the Lakers was right guy, right place, right time. The chances of replicating that are probably worse than the idea of building a champion around team basketball, like the Pistons did.

SpurzN703
12-21-2006, 12:00 PM

SA took Tony parker 28th. I think he's a little valuable :wink:

SpurzN703
12-21-2006, 12:03 PM

Funny how our Dolphins and Spurs are both in their league's best conferences. :sigh:

Screw Denver. If AI was so great and was championship material, they wouldnt have traded him

Roman529
12-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Funny how our Dolphins and Spurs are both in their league's best conferences. :sigh:

Screw Denver. If AI was so great and was championship material, they wouldnt have traded him

The Sixers really had no choice with the long term big contracts to AI, C-Webb and Dalembert. AI's trade removes about 17 millions from their cap, and C-Webb's $$$ should come off next year at around 20 million. BK just has to make smarter decisions, and make sure to draft guys who will be the future of the Sixers.

HysterikiLL
12-21-2006, 05:34 PM
The Sixers really had no choice with the long term big contracts to AI, C-Webb and Dalembert. AI's trade removes about 17 millions from their cap, and C-Webb's $$$ should come off next year at around 20 million. BK just has to make smarter decisions, and make sure to draft guys who will be the future of the Sixers.

awesome sig rome!

phunwin
12-22-2006, 10:20 AM
SA took Tony parker 28th. I think he's a little valuable :wink:

In a way, this is what the Sixers are counting on. That 2001 draft was insanely deep. Seriously, look at this draft and see how many quality players were taken after the lottery: http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2001.html

You could make a damn good team just from the 2001 draft:

C - Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Sam Dalembert, Mehmet Okur, Brendan Haywood
PF - Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph, Troy Murphy
SF - Richard Jefferson, Jason Richardson, Vlad Radmanovic, Gerald Wallace
SG - Gilbert Arenas, Joe Johnson, Shane Battier
PG - Tony Parker, Jamaal Tinsley

The only position where there's not a bona fide all-star is center, and there's still time for Chandler to get there, especially with how he's playing this year. And yet, I digress.

Here's the problem: saying "they've got a nice plan in place, as long as Billy King doesn't screw it up" is a flawed theory. Asking King not to mess something up is like asking a dog not to scratch. That guy could **** up a cup of coffee. If not for Isiah Thomas, he wouldn't just be the NBA's worst GM, he'd be the worst in pro sports.

Roman529
12-22-2006, 03:37 PM
I am so happy that AI might be playing his first game tonight in Denver....I am about ready to break into song...in my best Phil Collins voice:

"Tonight, tonight, tonight....woooooo ohhhhhhh.......

I'm gonna make it right,,,,tonight, tonight, tonight,,,,,wooooo ohhhhhhh...

You keep telling me I got everything, I've got everything I want (except a ring :lol: )

You keep telling me you're gonna help me , you're gonna help me but you don't. (BK)

But now I'm in too deep.....you see it's got me so I just can't sleep....ohhh get me out of here (Philly)...just help me I'll do anything, anything (practice), if you get me outta here. :sidelol:

HOW WAS THAT??? :lol: :wink:

BAMAPHIN 22
12-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Nuggets lose another: Camby out 2 months

Marcus Camby of the Denver Nuggets expects to be sidelined a couple of weeks after breaking a finger on his shooting hand during a game against the Washington Wizards.

The 6-foot-11 center-forward is averaging 11.7 points and 11 rebounds and his absence is a blow to a team already without J.R. Smith and Carmelo Anthony. Anthony was suspended for 15 games and Smith for 10 for their roles in a brawl in the final minutes of a Dec. 16 game in New York.

Camby was hurt Monday night, and his time away from the team begins with Friday night’s home game against Sacramento.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16328793/

Roman529
12-22-2006, 04:50 PM

Marcus Camby of the Denver Nuggets expects to be sidelined a couple of weeks after breaking a finger on his shooting hand during a game against the Washington Wizards.

The 6-foot-11 center-forward is averaging 11.7 points and 11 rebounds and his absence is a blow to a team already without J.R. Smith and Carmelo Anthony. Anthony was suspended for 15 games and Smith for 10 for their roles in a brawl in the final minutes of a Dec. 16 game in New York.

Camby was hurt Monday night, and his time away from the team begins with Friday night’s home game against Sacramento.

Wow the Nuggets are gonna be thin tonight....no Melo, Camby, Miller gone, AI can't play unless he and Miller pass physicals for their new teams....the airports should be open but maybe Boykins is gonna have to jack up some shots. :lol:

Fresh
12-23-2006, 03:36 AM
AI looked fantastic in a losing effort. He played a great game.

Vertical Limit
12-23-2006, 03:44 AM

This team is having a great share of bad luck. lol..

Camby out for two months? The only player on the team that can actually play defense? I can see a ton of teams take advantage on the paint from now on, and the Nuggets have already struggled to defend the paint all season long.

King Felix
12-23-2006, 05:04 AM
good trade for both teams imo.....76'ers didnt get alot back but 3 draft picks arent bad.....in the 20's you can get contributers......and i love denver now.

Roman529
12-23-2006, 04:33 PM
good trade for both teams imo.....76'ers didnt get alot back but 3 draft picks arent bad.....in the 20's you can get contributers......and i love denver now.

Yeah it should help both teams. The Nuggets are going to be a little short without Camby and Melo for a few weeks, but they are going to be a good team with everyone starts to gel. The Sixers have to get rid of some big salaries and start over with younger guys....their picks should help them out...and look out if they get Greg Oden.

Phinz420
12-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Key to victory for the Nuggies....

Keep the midget from shooting over 20 shots a game.

No, I do not mean Iverson either, the real midget Earl Boykins :lol:

King Felix
12-23-2006, 07:12 PM
boykins*

Phinz420
12-23-2006, 07:28 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Edited there, its fixed :tongue: