PDA

View Full Version : ‘Is Santa Claus Real?’

BAMAPHIN 22
12-21-2006, 06:23 PM
It’s the question many parents get around this time of year. A child psychologist offers tips for giving the answer.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/12/061220_Santa_hsmallwidec-1.jpg

It's the oldest trick in the book: threaten the kids with a lump of coal, and they'll behave in the name of Santa Claus. That may have worked years ago, but today's youngsters are smarter, savvier and more high-tech. Threaten them with a charcoal brick, and they'll retort with questions about how it's possible for Santa to get down every chimney in the world in just one night. Today, studies show that only 25 percent of 8-year-olds still believe in Santa Claus, and those who do could easily run a Google search to find the nonbelievers. Robert Butterworth, a Los Angeles-based child psychologist, spoke with NEWSWEEK’s Jessica Bennett about the tricky dance that parents do when asked about jolly old St. Nick. Excerpts:

NEWSWEEK: Some people say that parents are purposely deceiving their kids by lying to them about Santa.
Robert Butterworth: Is it purposely deceiving or playing along with the fantasy? There are always those stories in the paper about the kindergarten teacher (http://www.srch-results.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=77&k=kindergarten%20teacher) or parent who would show up and tell the kids there's no Santa Claus, and they'd all start crying because they're disillusioned. But if another teacher goes into a third-grade class and says there is a Santa Claus, they'll all laugh at her. So really, you're not deceiving, you're playing along. What I say is that if they're at the age where they're still believing, why bust their bubble?

How long should parents pretend?
[Studies indicate that] after 8, 75 percent of kids don't believe. That's the first "S" word that parents have to deal with--it's not sex, it's Santa. So the parent has to sit down and say, “Listen, this is how the Santa thing works. Santa did exist, he was a person who gave to others. And now that you're older, you can give to others and be Santa, too.” And you do it in a gentle way. Do you think if a kid who believes in Santa walks into a third- or fourth-grade class his friends are going to tell him in a gentle way? No. They're going to make fun of him, and the kid's going to run home crying, saying you lied to him. We all remember how the news is broken to us, so if we all remember, then there's some significance or we would have forgotten it. And it's better to have a memory of someone doing it nicely than some kids teasing you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16312967/site/newsweek/

Green Ranger
12-21-2006, 06:38 PM
that sucked when i found out santa was a illusion....my dad was good though,

he would get his work boots, and put baby powder on the bottom, and track around the house, and tell me and my brother, it was magic snow, and you could see where he went through the house...gullable, but it worked well. good times

Pagan
12-21-2006, 06:39 PM
NEWSWEEK: Some people say that parents are purposely deceiving their kids by lying to them about Santa.
Some people need to lighten the **** up.

Last Christmas a friend of mine's daughter wanted a doll that she just couldn't find. It was on backorder until after Christmas. Instead of letting the poor kid's heart break, I found stationary that said, "From Santa's desk" and wrote the kid a note explaining that the elves couldn't make them fast enough, but as soon as they made enough I'd make a special trip in the sleigh just for her to deliver the doll. Then I sent it up to North Pole, NY to have it postmarked, and sent down to Florida to the little girl. She was overjoyed that "Santa" took the time to write to her.

Nah...shouldn't have deceived her....should have let her know that there's no childlike innocence or magick left in the world, right? :shakeno:

The Rev
12-21-2006, 06:42 PM
It's horrible the way some kids make fun of other kids who believe in Santa. I seee it all the time in school.

Jt0323
12-21-2006, 07:00 PM
wait...wait a minute...Santa is not real?

NewEra8
12-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Hell yeah Santa's real..... who else would give us these pictures of drunk pageant women? It's not Gods line of work...sooo that leaves one person... Yeah, dont have an answer to that one now do ya....

spydertl79
12-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't think I ever believed in Santa Claus...

Pagan
12-21-2006, 07:17 PM
I think I starting knowing something was up the year my Dad told me that Santa wanted me to leave him Scotch instead of milk & cookies. :tongue:

Sethdaddy8
12-21-2006, 07:29 PM
I think I starting knowing something was up the year my Dad told me that Santa wanted me to leave him Scotch instead of milk & cookies. :tongue:

I found out the Eastern Bunny was fake at a fairly early age, and then all the rest snowballed. I guess it was easier this way. If I found out Santa didn't exist on Dec. 23rd or 24th, I'd have been pissed.

Mike13
12-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Wait there's No Santa?!:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

You *******s better be lying!

PrepDogg
12-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Santa Clause is real I jammed with him at the fillmore, man. :lol:

It's a Cheech and Chong bit. :D

Maynard the Hammer
12-21-2006, 11:31 PM

Last Christmas a friend of mine's daughter wanted a doll that she just couldn't find. It was on backorder until after Christmas. Instead of letting the poor kid's heart break, I found stationary that said, "From Santa's desk" and wrote the kid a note explaining that the elves couldn't make them fast enough, but as soon as they made enough I'd make a special trip in the sleigh just for her to deliver the doll. Then I sent it up to North Pole, NY to have it postmarked, and sent down to Florida to the little girl. She was overjoyed that "Santa" took the time to write to her.

Nah...shouldn't have deceived her....should have let her know that there's no childlike innocence or magick left in the world, right? :shakeno:you are my hero

Coral Reefer
12-21-2006, 11:36 PM

Nah...shouldn't have deceived her....should have let her know that there's no childlike innocence or magick left in the world, right? :shakeno:

I agree.

I was "sold the Santa Bill of goods" as well.
Funny, I'm not a career criminal, a deviant nor am I forever angry at my parents for making my childhood magical every december.

Stupid, stupid stuff these days. :shakeno:

Mike13
12-22-2006, 12:20 AM

My folks did that too.

Silverphin
12-22-2006, 12:56 AM

:yeahthat:

Sometimes I wonder about these parents.

ih8brady
12-22-2006, 03:27 AM

Thank you for that story. I think it is laziness that some "parents" want to rob their young children of childhood innocence and imagination and push them into adulthood by age 7.

Mindwarp
12-22-2006, 09:43 AM

I don't ussaly see eye to eye with you.. you know that whole Metal Hip Hop different world mentality but this puts you on top of the list of people who deserve to go to heaven if there is one up there.

:up:

Rock on Pagan.. Rock on.

Pagan
12-22-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't ussaly see eye to eye with you.. you know that whole Metal Hip Hop different world mentality but this puts you on top of the list of people who deserve to go to heaven if there is one up there.

:up:

Rock on Pagan.. Rock on.

Thanx man...

Bottom line, peel away the metal, hip-hop, black, white, red, green, rich, poor etc etc....and there's the same basic heart underneath.

How people use it is up to them. :wink:

SpurzN703
12-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Santa exists but he doesn't give presents to everyone in the world. I always believed he was real.

Bruzer
12-22-2006, 12:17 PM
I remember when I found out he wasn't I got a snes for christmas and it was "From santa" and then about a week later i heard my mom on the phone saying she bought it. lol.

Noodle Arm
12-22-2006, 01:27 PM
If Santa's not real then who's the man that enters my house every christmas eve...eats my cookies...drinks my milk...has rosy red cheeks...smells of alcohol...and always says "touch my sack!"?? :confused:

Seriously though, this whole PC thing is killing me. Telling kids about Santa has worked for centuries, it's one of the great things about being a child...the wonderment and innocence. Idiots :shakeno:

Predaphin
12-22-2006, 01:30 PM
You guys mean to tell me there is no Santa?

Slappy8800
12-22-2006, 01:50 PM
at least the tooth fairy is real....me and her had a fling way back when....yea, i rocked her world

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-22-2006, 02:15 PM
parents lie to their kids all the time about all kinds of stuff, it's harmless. this santa thing has gone on for quite a while, and i don't think too much emotional scarring has come from it.

but what about when you tell them jesus isn't real?

PrepDogg
12-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Very True, Pagan. If I could quote #18 I would have but for some reason I can't. ???

CharlestonPhan
12-22-2006, 05:04 PM
wait...wait a minute...Santa is not real?

:yeahthat:

in my house, the motto was always "you quit believing, you quit receiving!"

Slappy8800
12-22-2006, 10:27 PM
parents lie to their kids all the time about all kinds of stuff, it's harmless. this santa thing has gone on for quite a while, and i don't think too much emotional scarring has come from it.

but what about when you tell them jesus isn't real?

yea my mom used to say if i keep wearing boxers my thing is gonna hang down to my knees......she lied :boohoo:

finfan01
12-22-2006, 10:38 PM
NORAD Tracks Santa 2006 (http://www.noradsanta.org/en/tracking.php)

:tongue:

BAMAPHIN 22
12-22-2006, 11:45 PM
An AP-AOL News poll finds him to be an enduring giant in the lives of Americans.

Fully 86 percent in the poll believed in Santa as a child. And despite the multiethnic nature of the country, more than 60 percent of those with children at home consider Santa important in their holiday celebrations now.

That’s an approval rating President Bush and most in Congress could only dream about these days. (If Santa were a politician, Catholics and the nonreligious would be his base.)
Among the findings:

Santa is important to 60 percent of Catholics, 51 percent of those without a religious affiliation and 47 percent of Protestants, when households both with and without children are surveyed. <LI class=textBodyBlack>Nearly half, 47 percent, said Santa detracts from the religious significance of Christmas; over one-third, 36 percent, said he enhances the religious nature of the holiday.
91 percent of whites believed in Santa as a child; 72 percent of minorities did. One quarter of those now living in households with incomes under $25,000 did not believe in Santa.
An overwhelming majority, across nearly all backgrounds and religious beliefs, say they believe in angels — 86 percent. Belief in angels is shared by 57 percent of those who say they have no religious affiliation. Nearly all white evangelical Christians, 97 percent, share this belief.
Somehow, the tradition has survived all that challenges tradition.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16329025/

MNFINFAN
12-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Santa has defied tradition IMO because it makes children feel special, in ways that even the spoiling of our kids cannot dilute.

An example in Jamaica when I was a kid Santa would always come early to the kids in my town. I lived in a very rural part where most people had very little money, every year on the 23rd (before Santa got on his sleigh to fly around the world) he came by boat with his sack of presents for all us kids. The excuse given was that we didn't have chimneys so he couldn't get in our houses so he made a special stop for us. We would have a big Christmas party to celebrate his arrival. I remember how we all felt that someone cared enough to give us a toy or doll or something that was ours we were special for a time.

Today in my own family, my kids share my excitement, though now we can afford things, it is the thought that Santa knows who you are and has something especially for you and brings you that toy. Every Christmas eve,when my kids go to sleep I love getting their stockings ready and waking up early with them on Christmas morn to see what Santa has brought.

Then again there is always this version of Santa.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tr0XF-yoaqg

Which it maybe because I am british by nature, ****ing cracks me up everytime I seeit.

dolphan81
12-23-2006, 11:00 AM
NORAD Tracks Santa 2006 (http://www.noradsanta.org/en/tracking.php)

:tongue:

I just checked that out. I am going to use it for my little ones. Thanks man.

Agent51
12-23-2006, 12:10 PM
I used to wonder all the time when I was younger how Santa managed to get down every chiminey in one night. My parents would explain that there are different time zones so he has a longer time than we think and all that. Then I would start to wonder how he got to the houses of kids that didn't HAVE chimenies. They explained that he is magic and all that. I guess I just believed them because I was a kid and I WANTED to believe. I still remember the Xmass I figured it out. I noticed that the "S" in "Santa" on the gift tags from him was the same as the "S" in my name (Jason) on the gift tags from my mom and dad to me. Then, upon closer examination I noticed that the handwriting looked very similar on both tag sets, so I questioned it. My mom kind of paused and fumbled for an explaination (I guess that one REALLY caught her off-guard, lol) but she couldn't come up with a believable one, and so I found out the truth. I still kept pretending to believe though because I had a younger brother and sister who still believed.

I think once you find out the "magic" of Xmass is kind of gone. It's still a fun time for family and stuff like that, but as far as the excitement and all that, it definately drops off. I went from not being able to sleep on Xmass eve to making really tiny Xmass lists because now I knew it was actually my parents spending their money on all of that stuff, and I didn't get why they should have to buy me tons of stuff on this one day when they don't the other 364 days, and I knew Santa wasn't real now so it was dumb for them to buy all the stuff to keep his myth alive IMO. We aren't a religious family, so it's not like we'd be celebrtating that aspect of it, so I just stopped asking for a lot of stuff because I felt like once I figured it out it was kind of like a normal day except you had lots of family over for a big dinner.