PDA

View Full Version : So I just got a PS3...

Dolfan11
12-22-2006, 05:01 PM
and I have a couple questions if anyone can help me, that would be great!

1) Since I had to connect an ethernet cable I'm assuming it's not wireless right out of the box like the Wii. Is there a wireless adapter of some sort?

2) Do I have to worry about overheating/freezing issues like I did with the 360?

3) Any other games worth getting besides Madden and Resistance?

Thanks for all your help and advice. Merry Christmas!

ChrisKo
12-22-2006, 08:29 PM
1. The 60GB version has wireless. I sold mine on Ebay, so I'm not sure how to set that up.

2. I haven't heard too many reports of lockups from overheat issues, but I'm sure some fanboy will post otherwise.

3. I enjoyed th demo of MotoStorm at the store and that it was rather fun for a simple racer. Not sure I'd spend $60 on it, but it was fun. Marvel Ultimate Alliance is a fun game, but I bought mine on the Xbox 360 back in early November.

Just today, while wrapping up my xmas shopping, I saw one at the shelf at ToysRUs and 2 at Best Buy. These were 60GB and it seems people are returning them because they couldn't get a good return from eBay. I guess they stores figure they can sell them anyway, so not take back the sealed boxes and sell them for xmas season shoppers.

Phin-o-rama
12-22-2006, 09:58 PM
i thought motostorm the full game wouldn't be out till late next year? cool demo....best looking mud in a game...EVER

Slappy8800
12-22-2006, 10:31 PM
i dunno if its just the demo but...i was playing NBA07 at the store and in the middle of the game the machine re-set it self

Majpain
12-23-2006, 01:36 AM
i dunno if its just the demo but...i was playing NBA07 at the store and in the middle of the game the machine re-set it self

lol, The PS3 decides when you play it :lol:

Scatman
12-23-2006, 01:44 AM
its demo...i dl'ed it and it does same thing.

motorstorm demo is good.

Slappy8800
12-23-2006, 02:32 PM
lol, The PS3 decides when you play it :lol:

in soviet russia, ps3 plays you

PhinsPhan
12-23-2006, 04:06 PM
To answer your question, other than Resistance there is really nothing out there right now worth buying.

arsenal
12-23-2006, 05:58 PM
in soviet russia, ps3 plays you

haha love that episode...

FinsNCanes
12-23-2006, 07:16 PM
You might as well pick up Madden..

I mean it is literally almost the same damn game but it is nice looking.

Majpain
12-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Pick up NBA2K7 too.

finsrule84
12-23-2006, 10:00 PM
though i have been tough on Sony and the PS3 i was really expecting to be blown away by the Motorstorm demo but i was dissapointed. The graphics look great on screenshots but when you see it in motion you start to notice all the horrible textures, the jaggies, and if you look crefully, you notice the grass is really 2d. I tried it with the SIXAXIS controls but it was way too sensitive and i kept making 180 turns though i was barely tilting the controller.

I did have some fun with NBA 07, though, and was particularly impressed with the Lair trailer (it is developed by Factor 5, after all)

Dolfan11
12-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Well, I figured out how to get it work wireless. I bought Madden and Resistance and love them both. I'm expecting to get NBA 2k7. My expectations weren't to high since what I mostly read was claiming the PS3 to be nothing special, but I love it so far.

How do you download the updated rosters in Madden to play with them offline?

Majpain
12-24-2006, 12:42 AM
I think if you attempt to play a online madden game it will say you need to update your rosters.

FinsNCanes
12-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Anyone know why Dolphins defense is so horrible on Madden? Anyway, you guys have to remember these are the first games for the ps3. I remember seeing Call of Duty for XBOX thinking it wasn't all that great. I'd actually say Resistance is pretty on par with what Call of Duty looks like. If you really want to see what it's capable of you have to check out MGS screenshots. Blows GOW out of the water if you ask me. I was looking at em both last night out of sheer boredom. Oh, Ninja Gaiden is coming out for the ps3. Im no fanboi..not really a big console fan for the most part but we gotta give the ps3 atleast a year like the 360.

Agent51
12-24-2006, 11:06 AM
though i have been tough on Sony and the PS3 i was really expecting to be blown away by the Motorstorm demo but i was dissapointed. The graphics look great on screenshots but when you see it in motion you start to notice all the horrible textures, the jaggies, and if you look crefully, you notice the grass is really 2d. I tried it with the SIXAXIS controls but it was way too sensitive and i kept making 180 turns though i was barely tilting the controller.

I did have some fun with NBA 07, though, and was particularly impressed with the Lair trailer (it is developed by Factor 5, after all)

That's the key word, DEMO. That demo was probably made a LONG time ago, the game is probably much improved by now, both in graphics and physics. I haven't played, or even seen, the demo, so IDK what you are talking about specifically, but I do know the same thing happened for me with Test Drive UNlimited for the 360. I had been following the game for SO long through previews all over the internet, I couldn't wait for it to come out only for the fact that it was sattelite-mapped to the island of hawai'i I live on, so I thought it'd be awesome to drive exotic cars to all the places I see everyday. It is the very reason I bought a 360 in May instead of waiting til after the PS3 like I planned. However, when the demo came to XBL Marketplace, I was VERY dissappointed. The graphics weren't like the screens I saw, and the physics were horrid. Then they released a second demo like 2 weeks before the game's launch and I was STILL very dissappointed. I bought the game anyway though, and the graphics and physics in the final version are MUCH better than those in both demos, even the one that was released right before launch. Basically what I'm saying is don't pass judgement just based on the demo. I mean, if you play a demo and the idea is just completely dumb to you, or the control layout sucks or something like that then yeah, you prolly won't like the final version, but if it's just some graphical problems or even some handling porblems, you should still test out the final version before ruling it out.

Phinz420
12-24-2006, 11:16 AM
That's the key word, DEMO. That demo was probably made a LONG time ago, the game is probably much improved by now, both in graphics and physics. I haven't played, or even seen, the demo, so IDK what you are talking about specifically, but I do know the same thing happened for me with Test Drive UNlimited for the 360. I had been following the game for SO long through previews all over the internet, I couldn't wait for it to come out only for the fact that it was sattelite-mapped to the island of hawai'i I live on, so I thought it'd be awesome to drive exotic cars to all the places I see everyday. It is the very reason I bought a 360 in May instead of waiting til after the PS3 like I planned. However, when the demo came to XBL Marketplace, I was VERY dissappointed. The graphics weren't like the screens I saw, and the physics were horrid. Then they released a second demo like 2 weeks before the game's launch and I was STILL very dissappointed. I bought the game anyway though, and the graphics and physics in the final version are MUCH better than those in both demos, even the one that was released right before launch. Basically what I'm saying is don't pass judgement just based on the demo. I mean, if you play a demo and the idea is just completely dumb to you, or the control layout sucks or something like that then yeah, you prolly won't like the final version, but if it's just some graphical problems or even some handling porblems, you should still test out the final version before ruling it out.

Its like this with many demos. Optimization takes alot of work from the devs, and you cant expect all of the goodies like AA/AF to be kicking in high gear before the final build is made. Sometimes this is not the case, but it happens a lot.

Sometimes for the PC, we wont even have an optimized retail release, and they wait until they can get a patch out to the consumers for full optimization.

Scatman
12-24-2006, 12:56 PM

you gotta try the siaxxis controller on the bigger trucks 1st, the bikes are too sensitive to learn it with...thats y i did at 1st too and thought it sucked.

i didnt think the graphics look bad at all, im using an hdmi cable to a westinghiouse that suppports 1080p(although i think game runs at 720) though, so that might make a difference.

give it another try it might grow on you like it did me.

Scatman
12-24-2006, 01:02 PM

you gotta try the siaxxis controller on the bigger trucks 1st, the bikes are too sensitive to learn it with...thats y i did at 1st too and thought it sucked.

i didnt think the graphics look bad at all, im using an hdmi cable to a westinghiouse that suppports 1080p(although i think game runs at 720) though, so that might make a difference.

give it another try it might grow on you like it did me.