PDA

View Full Version : Man Skydiving........From SPACE

Agent51
12-23-2006, 09:38 AM
This is INSANE, and also looks SO cool and fun. It's a guy named Joseph Kittinger and he jumped out of a balloon at an altitude of 102,800 feet. Apparently the freefall lasted 4 1/2 minutes :eek:

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/71791/Space_Jump.html?autoplay=true

cnc66
12-23-2006, 09:43 AM
first human to break the speed of sound..without a vehicle...

Agent51
12-23-2006, 09:49 AM
first human to break the speed of sound..without a vehicle...

Yea, I saw he went 614mph or something like that, but that confused me. Now, mind you it's been awhile since I did any sort of science learning outside of Mythbusters :lol:, but I thought our terminal velocity was somewhere in the 100s? Unless I am remembering wrong I thought once you hit that speed you don't accelerate anymore?

cnc66
12-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Yea, I saw he went 614mph or something like that, but that confused me. Now, mind you it's been awhile since I did any sort of science learning outside of Mythbusters :lol:, but I thought our terminal velocity was somewhere in the 100s? Unless I am remembering wrong I thought once you hit that speed you don't accelerate anymore?

he fell from a VERY high altitude...the air is so rarefied at that height that for awhile, there is very little resistance to a falling body.

MNFINFAN
12-23-2006, 10:35 AM

terminal velocity (Vt) is the point where the gravitational force exerted on a body meets the drag on the body created by the medium it it traveling. In normal atmospheric conditions, about the highest one can get is about 200mph, if in a head first tuck (imagine a falcon diving). However in extreme altitude jumps, as there is very little atmosphere, there is very little drag so higher Vt can be achieved.

Theoretically if the diver had been able to reach Vt instantaneously his Vt would have been around 1200Mph. However as one reaches 50%Vt in 3 seconds and the quicker he gets into normal atmosphere the more drag is created so the slower he goes, then the speed of 641mph is logical and possible. Which is ****ing fast!

By the way Capt Kittinger did this in 1960!

Agent51
12-23-2006, 10:47 AM
That makes sense, I wasn't thinking in terms of him being at the higher altitude and thus the thinner atmosphere.

cnc66
12-23-2006, 11:01 AM
I was 6 years old in 1960 and had just began my journey into reading. That was the year my Granparents subscribed to Readers Digest and National Geographic for me. I remember the coverage of all these events, it was exciting cutting edge stuff for a kid with wide eyes and an insatiable appetite for learning. The stills were awe inspiring...

Muck
12-23-2006, 11:49 AM
What a guy.

Read the Project Excelsior part for his near tragic jumps prior to 102,800. Unreal.

Captain Kittinger was then assigned to the Aerospace Medical Research Laboratories at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. For Project Excelsior (meaning "ever upward", a name given to the project by Colonel Stapp), as part of research into high altitude bailout, he made a series of three parachute jumps wearing a pressurized suit, from a helium balloon with an open gondola.

The first, from 76,400 feet (23,287 m) in November, 1959 was a near tragedy when an equipment malfunction caused him to lose consciousness, but the automatic parachute saved him (he went into a flat spin at a rotational velocity of 120 rpm, the G factor calculated at his extremities was over 22 times that of gravity, setting another record). Three weeks later he jumped again from 74,700 feet (22,769 m). For that return jump Kittinger was awarded the Leo Stevens parachute medal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

cnc66
12-23-2006, 11:56 AM
first step is a hum dinger...

Agent51
12-23-2006, 12:00 PM
I also got a subscription to National Geographic when I was younger (although I was born in 1984, and this was done almost 20 years prior :wink:) and I remember seeing and reading about all the cool stuff in it and becoming very curious about things.

That guy is awesome though, like I said, I'd love to do something like that, I can't think of many things that would be cooler than skydiving from SPACE :lol:

unifiedtheory
12-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Dude....that is simply crazy.

Brown42000
12-23-2006, 05:38 PM
That is crazy.

King Felix
12-23-2006, 05:43 PM
i did that on my birthday

cnc66
12-23-2006, 05:45 PM
i did that on my birthday

very cool...did ya have to do that buddy suit thing?

Roman529
12-23-2006, 05:51 PM
I think a jump from 100,000 would make the "first step" easier compared to a normal parachute jump, because you can't see the ground that well...just clouds. I thought a person would black out if falling that fast??? I bet that would happen right away without a pressurized suit....I know above about 25,000 you need oxygen. I would love to do this. Killer pics!!!
:tongue:

cnc66
12-23-2006, 05:54 PM
I think a jump from 100,000 would make the "first step" easier compared to a normal parachute jump, because you can't see the ground that well...just clouds. I thought a person would black out if falling that fast??? I bet that would happen right away without a pressurized suit....I know above about 25,000 you need oxygen. I would love to do this. Killer pics!!!
:tongue:

I think the cold was a serious issue..........in a heartbeat!

Roman529
12-23-2006, 05:59 PM
I think the cold was a serious issue..........in a heartbeat!

Wouldn't the balloon taking the guy up eventually became weightless in outer space or would gravity prevent you from getting that high up without some kind of a rocket? Wouldn't you just float on your own after a certain height? :lol: