PDA

View Full Version : Console gamers vs PC gamers. Your opinons.

FinsNCanes
12-24-2006, 03:44 PM
I was just curious to see what you guys thought about the difference between the two. It seems every day consoles are creeping in closer to what PCs can do for about 60% less money, although the downside to a console is you can't really upgrade, then again I guess you wouldn't need to considering they come out with a new one every 4 years or so. Your thoughts? Do you think one day consoles will shoot past PCs in terms of graphics, gameplay, etc? The reason this came to mind was cause there is an MMO out there called Age of Conan that will also be playable on the 360 (1 year after release of PC) but it made me start thinking.

Bruzer
12-24-2006, 03:53 PM
I don't think console will ever surpass pc graphics wise if it does it will only be like a month. If i get a game and its on console and pc I go for pc version rather play with a mouse and keyboard than a joystick. I also like on pc the fact you can get mods many times for you games. Oblivion is still fun for me because there is hundreds of mods for it on pc.

FinsNCanes
12-24-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't think console will ever surpass pc graphics wise if it does it will only be like a month. If i get a game and its on console and pc I go for pc version rather play with a mouse and keyboard than a joystick. I also like on pc the fact you can get mods many times for you games. Oblivion is still fun for me because there is hundreds of mods for it on pc.

I believe you can hook up a keyboard and mouse though to the 360. I know for sure keyboard, not sure about mouse.

Bruzer
12-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Yea but pc I can adjust settings I like the fact I can upgrade a system. I also like said I love mods. I don't think console will ever surpass pc graphics wise but with the huge improvement of online play they are catching up but not passing imo.

Phin-o-rama
12-24-2006, 05:29 PM
someone once told me that consoles are like AOL for games....

Dol-Fan Dupree
12-24-2006, 07:01 PM
someone once told me that consoles are like AOL for games....

That would be true if AOL was 10 bucks a month and comcast high speed came in at 150 dollars a month and half the time broke for no good reason until they patched it next month.

Phinz420
12-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Control- Mouse and Keyboard far surpass any controller device they can fathom up. Though I was reading today that the 360 will be releasing a USB adapter for $80 in January, allowing any Keyboard and Mouse to be hooked up.

Graphics- PCs are already beyond what are in Next Gen Console graphics cards, and with the upcoming release of DirectX 10, we are going to see a major jump from what we see today. Graphics comes on two ends though, it of coarse requires the hardware to run it, but it also requires alot of hard work by the developers.

Content- Microsoft does its best with Xbox Live to offer unique content to its subscribers. It is definitely better than nothing(Msoft could easily charge for XBL without all of the content), but in reality it pales in comparison to what PC users have available. The gap is starting to be bridged here for consoles though, as Valve announced they will be releasing HL2 Episode 2 on the 360 that will also have the 2 new mods along with it(Team Fortress 2/Portal).

Will Consoles ever surpass the PCs? No. Simply because consoles are descendants of PCs, but instead of being a multi-purpose machine they are focussed on gaming(and with a hint of other forms of entertainment on the side). No matter what they do with consoles they will never be able to out-perform the PC powerhouses. But honestly, why do they need to?

Phin-o-rama
12-25-2006, 12:57 AM
the problem with pc's in game developers eyes tho is it is so easy to pirate the games....i don't personally do it because im lazy...but i know many people that just download anything they want, and that goes for all software obviously, not just games...i guess pretty easy in consoles too with a mod chip

Dol-Fan Dupree
12-25-2006, 01:07 AM
the problem with pc's in game developers eyes tho is it is so easy to pirate the games....i don't personally do it because im lazy...but i know many people that just download anything they want, and that goes for all software obviously, not just games...i guess pretty easy in consoles too with a mod chip

The problem with PC games is that there exists SO MANY different combinations of PCs that it makes it very hard and increases developmental costs to make sure they work on the most that they possibly can. Then there is sometimes when someone else like Microsoft comes out with a patch that ruins your application as well. Plus there is nothing more frustrating than buying a game that doesn't work out out of box, and then to find out that your sound driver is actually too new and that soon they will release a patch however if you want to use the software they recommend installing the older sound driver which of course your other new game actually needs.

PC gaming can be VERY frustrating just to get the game to work on your PC. That is one of the beauties of console gaming, well maybe until now.

Phinz420
12-25-2006, 08:24 AM

It may be really easy, but I really don't think there is enough people doing it(many are scared, ignorant, or its too much of a PITA) to cause developers to freak out.

Personally, I download games to see how much I enjoyed a game that I may not have bought anyways. Sometimes(depending on the game) I will still go out and purchase the retail, but I have noticed that most of the games I have done this with offer some kind of multi player experience. Other games like Hitman: Blood Money, I just went out and bought anyways(with no multiplayer) because I want Eidos to keep that franchise rolling and I will always support that game.

I really think Steam is a good thing for game developers. I have heard many consumers complain about the software, but I think it is the best medium for developers to get their games out to people quickly.

Just like the music and movie business, pirating does inflict damage on the overall sales, but not nearly enough to cause any kind of down spiral for any of these companies. As time goes on, I hope that they realize that the key to keeping most pirates away is to offer a great multi player experience.