PDA

View Full Version : Conan MMO Update(PC/360)

Phinz420
12-25-2006, 09:07 AM
"It's a much more sinister, brutal and realistic world than what people are used to. Magic-users do not run around with pointy hats shooting pink stars - they will summon the demons of hell that will stop at nothing to rip your throat out."

"There are essentially three types of player vs. player combat in Age of Conan, the most important one being the siege warfare in the so-called Border Kingdoms, where players will engage in full-out war with each other. Here player guilds will go head to head and fight for ownership of battlekeeps - gigantic structures players actually get to construct themselves, placing different buildings such as stables and blacksmiths. Guilds will challenge each other by setting up war tents outside the enemy's battlekeep, and then agreeing on a time where the battle takes place. Imagine entire armies of players clashing against each other, using siege weapons such as catapults and trebuchets, fighting for honor, land and fortunes. But players can also take part in less epic player vs. player combat. The most interesting alternative is probably the drunken brawling, where players will go into inns and taverns, get drunk and fight with their bare hands against each other. In this case, there are no penalties for losing and all players are, basically, on the same level. There are also arena fights, where players, groups or guilds, will challenge each other in gigantic forums where there can be spectators watching battles that ensue."

"A good MMO shouldn't only be big and beautiful, it should also challenge you as a player. In the future, I think MMOs will stand out judging by being innovative. These days, single-player games are often rewarded for being innovative - just look at The Sims, Spore, Buzz, Viva Piñata, EyeToy, Guitar Hero and so on. Hopefully, in the future MMOs will be judged the same way and developers will be driven to stretch the limits of the genre and set new genre standards."

"We're currently in internal closed beta, and we're inviting more and more friends, relatives and partners into it. The game is shaping up real good now and all the pieces of the puzzle are coming together. Next year we will be showing even more of the game and revealing the mechanics of features that we've so far only mentioned briefly. Age of Conan will hopefully make a giant impact next year and we're working hard towards being able to live up to the high expectations that we've set for it!"

Still no word yet whether or not 360 & PC users will be playing in the same world.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/12/ageofconan20061215011204947-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/12/ageofconan20061220031317357-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/12/ageofconan20061215041508389-1.jpg

FinsNCanes
12-25-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't see why they couldn't..

All I've heard is that IF they do transport it over to the 360 it will be a year after the PC release. Alot of PC gamers are worried they are going to change the UI mod to so it fits well for the 360 (we all know **** has been watered down before to go to console). I don't know about anyone else but this games looks awesome as long as it delivers. I was watching some cool footage on YouTube the other night. When is release? I was told around May/June.

One thing I worry about this game is stuff do do outside of just PvP (I know you can craft and all) but even I like to go around and kill monsters and possibly some raids and stuff once in a while. The other thing is it COULD end up like Shadowbane (although they had low budget and tons of bugs) that is really the only thing that killed that game.

Majpain
12-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Wooooooo this might be the game that makes me like MMO's.

Phin-o-rama
12-25-2006, 02:50 PM
i will be keeping my eye on this one for sure....i love new mmo's....i love exploring new content and i usually plunge head first into new mmo's and never read like wtf im supposed to do....

i run around asking people wtf is going on, and what i should do....its alot of fun......

we will see if age of conan could even cause the 800 pound gorilla in the room to even blink (WoW)

Phinz420
12-25-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't see why they couldn't..

All I've heard is that IF they do transport it over to the 360 it will be a year after the PC release. Alot of PC gamers are worried they are going to change the UI mod to so it fits well for the 360 (we all know **** has been watered down before to go to console). I don't know about anyone else but this games looks awesome as long as it delivers. I was watching some cool footage on YouTube the other night. When is release? I was told around May/June.

One thing I worry about this game is stuff do do outside of just PvP (I know you can craft and all) but even I like to go around and kill monsters and possibly some raids and stuff once in a while. The other thing is it COULD end up like Shadowbane (although they had low budget and tons of bugs) that is really the only thing that killed that game.

Yeah there is not a set in stone release date yet, but that is the supposed target for now.

I wouldn't worry about the PVE content. There will be plenty of that available, as PVP exp goes to its own level/reward system. You will have to complete a single player campaign before playing in the online world, and by that time you will be level 20 and have chosen your path for your character. A great aspect of that feature is that there won't be any time wasted slaughtering helpless boars and baby spiders(nor is any game world space wasted on that garbage content). Hopefully this will also be a detractor from the LOLLERCOPTERNOOB_777 crowd, as they will not be able to quickly create a character and bring him online to annoy everyone around them. Then again, it is still a MMO and those people may be even more attracted to a bloody & gory MMO.

What I really like about the control system is that it easily will work with a 360 controller. The game already uses a combo system similar to the likes of Mortal Combat/Street Fighter, so a port to the 360 should be as smooth as silk.

Phinz420
12-25-2006, 05:40 PM
New Dev Interview video showing some new gameplay footage as well.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1905

FinsNCanes
12-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah there is not a set in stone release date yet, but that is the supposed target for now.

I wouldn't worry about the PVE content. There will be plenty of that available, as PVP exp goes to its own level/reward system. You will have to complete a single player campaign before playing in the online world, and by that time you will be level 20 and have chosen your path for your character. A great aspect of that feature is that there won't be any time wasted slaughtering helpless boars and baby spiders(nor is any game world space wasted on that garbage content). Hopefully this will also be a detractor from the LOLLERCOPTERNOOB_777 crowd, as they will not be able to quickly create a character and bring him online to annoy everyone around them. Then again, it is still a MMO and those people may be even more attracted to a bloody & gory MMO. The thing I don't like about taking it to a console is all the FPS tards are going to play it like an FPS.

What I really like about the control system is that it easily will work with a 360 controller. The game already uses a combo system similar to the likes of Mortal Combat/Street Fighter, so a port to the 360 should be as smooth as silk.

Playing an MMO with a controller would be very odd to me. I honestly don't see how it's very possible considering you need the keyboard for macros and such. I mean are you really going to sit there and try to click everything all the time while trying to swing your sword? I would hope there a wide variety of spells so (to me) using a controller would seem foreign. Anyway..I don't know much about the PvP (I just know it's there and FFA) and I think they are doing something about griefing..which is nice.

Majpain
12-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Playing an MMO with a controller would be very odd to me. I honestly don't see how it's very possible considering you need the keyboard for macros and such. I mean are you really going to sit there and try to click everything all the time while trying to swing your sword? I would hope there a wide variety of spells so (to me) using a controller would seem foreign. Anyway..I don't know much about the PvP (I just know it's there and FFA) and I think they are doing something about griefing..which is nice.

I think its perfect. Everything is right there. Im sure there would be ways to macro. Like holding L Trigger and pressing either A, B, X, Y and such and assigning stuff to that. Either way its going to be intresting.

FinsNCanes
12-25-2006, 08:28 PM
I think its perfect. Everything is right there. Im sure there would be ways to macro. Like holding L Trigger and pressing either A, B, X, Y and such and assigning stuff to that. Either way its going to be intresting.

Still limiting though imo. I mean..imagine trying to play WoW on a controller where as a mage you have a bunch of spells. I dunno..we'll see I guess. I just know my targeting is 10x better with a mouse. I find it difficult to play an FPS with a controller. I just hope AOC doesn't go down the same road as SB (cause it has lots of simliarities).

Majpain
12-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Still limiting though imo. I mean..imagine trying to play WoW on a controller where as a mage you have a bunch of spells. I dunno..we'll see I guess. I just know my targeting is 10x better with a mouse. I find it difficult to play an FPS with a controller. I just hope AOC doesn't go down the same road as SB (cause it has lots of simliarities).

They could do what Oblivion did and use the D-pad. Though I didnt think it was that great. I do much better with a keyboard and mouse when playing FPS. You know they have that converter that allows you to use your keyboard and mouse on the Xbox 360. I could get mad sniper shots in Gears then.

FinsNCanes
12-25-2006, 09:07 PM
They could do what Oblivion did and use the D-pad. Though I didnt think it was that great. I do much better with a keyboard and mouse when playing FPS. You know they have that converter that allows you to use your keyboard and mouse on the Xbox 360. I could get mad sniper shots in Gears then.

Yeah.

I just hope the damn game is good because it has potential...

Although your XBOX would have to be pretty damn close to you in order to hook up a keyboard/mouse I would think..

Bruzer
12-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Many of games have potential few meet it. Hopefully it turns out good.

Phinz420
12-26-2006, 12:10 AM
What you have to remember is that the combat in AoC is nothing at all similar to any MMO you have ever played before. Get the idea of Auto Attack & Ability Hotkey Mashing out of your heads because there will be none of that in this game.

You will learn various feats(combos) that work best in different situations, and you will be forced to use these combos if you want any kind of special feat.

You may be confused on how the spells will work, but they go over it a bit in the dev interview i posted in this thread. Basically wizards will be able to "weave" multiple spells to add to their effects. There is going to be a limit on how much you can do based on how skilled your wizard is, because if a wizard tries to do too much he will not be able to control the magic and it can heavily damage and even kill the spell caster.

Archers will not have any kind of lock on feature, it will be complete FPS style fighting for Archers. Obviously though, there will be special abilities for archers as well.

Like I said, dont try to think about WoW or EQ or anything else with this game. This is a new path for MMOs, and Im very happy that the guys who are behind Anarchy Online are handling this.

Scatman
12-26-2006, 02:35 AM
loks pretty good

FinsNCanes
12-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Didn't AO flop for the most part? I can't remember because I was still playing UO but I remember it came out not long after EQ (bleh).

Phinz420
12-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Didn't AO flop for the most part? I can't remember because I was still playing UO but I remember it came out not long after EQ (bleh).

It did not flop, but it did not have the life span really of an EQ1. It is a free game now and people do still play it and its still updated often. Funcom knows the MMO market quite well now, and AoC should be an interesting new approach for the genre.

Im tired of doing all of the same things over and over in every MMO.