PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help - Ps3??

bg34
12-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Okay, sorry to have to ask this but I just hooked up my PS3 and cannot get any audio to come out. I have the HDMI cable going to my tv, and the red and white a/v cable going from my tv to my reciever. Am I missing something? Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas.

byroan
12-25-2006, 10:02 AM
How many red/white inputs do you have? If you have more than just the two you're plugged into, try those.

bg34
12-25-2006, 10:04 AM
I have a bunch...i tried multiple ones on the back of my reciever and none worked. I have them plugged into the tv right beside the HDMI plug, it's all boxed in as "Video 7". Usually I'm good with this stuff, but this has me baffled.

byroan
12-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Have you used the "Video 7" inputs before?

bg34
12-25-2006, 10:07 AM
No, first time.

byroan
12-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Might have something to do with that then. I know on my last TV, that I couldn't use certain inputs (don't know why). See if you can get audio on another input to rule out the ps3 being the problem.

bg34
12-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Does my receiver have to be HDMI compatible?

bg34
12-25-2006, 10:12 AM
I'll try that. Thanks man.

Scatman
12-25-2006, 02:32 PM
ok take out the red white you dont need them....go to the ps3 menu look for the audio option and then click on the option of audio through hdmi and your set little bro

Phin-o-rama
12-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Does my receiver have to be HDMI compatible?

yes

i believe, because you don't want the audio coming through the tv, you want it through your receiver right?

so your receiver needs to be able to handle hdmi if thats how you are going to run it ....hdmi from ps3 to receiver, then hdmi out to your tv....I THINK....good luck though and merry christmas

Scatman
12-25-2006, 03:59 PM
yes

i believe, because you don't want the audio coming through the tv, you want it through your receiver right?

so your receiver needs to be able to handle hdmi if thats how you are going to run it ....hdmi from ps3 to receiver, then hdmi out to your tv....I THINK....good luck though and merry christmas

phins right if your using a receiver and want hdmi, if not youll ned to use the red white to receiver..or even better yet get optical and put to receiver...then go to menu on ps3 and choose that output for your audio, kinda like you did for the video wen you used hdmi.

my receiver doesnt have hdmi so i just used tv for audio, then just use receiver off tv menu works pretty much th same.

bg34
12-25-2006, 05:10 PM
yeah, i want the sound to come through my receiver to get the surround sound goin. So I guess I need a new receiver? It works when I just plug the HDMI cable directly to the tv and use the tv's speakers. I still can't get it to play through my receiver though. Red white from tv to receiver doesn't give me anything? So frustrating...thanks for the replies though...i'll figure it out eventually, lol.

Daunte'sInferno
12-26-2006, 09:17 AM
here is what you do.

Use HDMI to connect to the TV
Use the optical cable to connect to the reciever.

Under the sound output change it from HMDI to optical and your good to go.

Now you will still get sound through the hdmi (the latest update did this) and the optical will be going to the reciever to get your surround.

Thats my setup, and it perks werfectly

Agent51
12-26-2006, 12:40 PM
ok take out the red white you dont need them....go to the ps3 menu look for the audio option and then click on the option of audio through hdmi and your set little bro

You beat me to it, lol. I was going to say, HDMI covers audio and video, that's what's nice about it, it's all of it in that tiny plug instead of having like 6 wires for a component hookup.

bg34
12-26-2006, 08:48 PM
here is what you do.

Use HDMI to connect to the TV
Use the optical cable to connect to the reciever.

Under the sound output change it from HMDI to optical and your good to go.

Now you will still get sound through the hdmi (the latest update did this) and the optical will be going to the reciever to get your surround.

Thats my setup, and it perks werfectly

Okay, I'll try that tomorrow. Optical from ps3 to receiver..right? or tv to receiver? andone more question...what do I put the input selector knob on my receiver on? For example, Video 1, Video 2, DVD, CD, etc. Sorry about all the questions. I thought I could get it but apparently I'm technologically challenged, lol.
Thanks for all the help.

NewEra8
12-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Damn southerners.....

(I live in Harrisonburg)

Daunte'sInferno
12-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Okay, I'll try that tomorrow. Optical from ps3 to receiver..right? or tv to receiver? andone more question...what do I put the input selector knob on my receiver on? For example, Video 1, Video 2, DVD, CD, etc. Sorry about all the questions. I thought I could get it but apparently I'm technologically challenged, lol.
Thanks for all the help.

yes optical from ps3 to reciever. And your recievers selector depends on the reciever but mine is vid 2. Try them all after you have something with sound going to figure it out. And remember to set the ps3 sound output to optical as well.