PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 360 for Xmas...Need Help to ease worries

eckerdguy
12-25-2006, 04:53 PM
OK I just got a 360 today and I also got one of those nyko cooling fans for xmas. I have read all the horror stories about this fan but I got it because I also read of the dreaded overheating of the system.

Can anyone give me ideas of the best way to set up my 360? I see from other threads that horizontal is the way to go.

My entertainment center is pretty spacious but only has a hole in the back for wires to go through, what is the best thing to do. Will I experience any issue with over heating in this kind of environment?

I know this post may sound dumb but I don't want to ruin my system with a fan (that I have read can burn to your system and so forth) if I don't even need it. Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Deus Ex Dolphin
12-25-2006, 05:11 PM
I've heard mixed things about the cooling fan. I don't use one myself. The thing with the 360, with wireless controllers, is that you have more options on where to place it.

I put mine on top of the entertainment center (since we have a flat top and it's only about 5 ft high) which we couldn't do with corded controllers as they would block our view of the TV (HDTV actually :D ).

The other advantage to this is that the 360 gets PLENTY of open space around it and it has worked perfectly since I got it a year ago. Put it in an inclosed space, and heat might be an issue. Depends on how many other devices are putting off heat around it, whether you have a heat vent nearby/under the entertainment center, etc.

You could put it to one side, so you could use the Play-and-Charge cord to recharge your batteries while still playing, if you got the rechargeable battery packs, which are much cheaper than buying standard batteries.

Hope this helps.

Troysif
12-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Alright about the cooling fan, i wouldnt use it at all you dont need it and could possibly cause problems b.c if you think about it, it would just suck dust into it. and about putting it in your entertainment, try it for about an hour with it there then feel around it to see how warm or hot it is, i wouldnt put it in a enclosed space b.c of the heat

StormSurge
12-25-2006, 05:46 PM
No cooling fan for me either. Those pictures of the burnt out back of 360 sealed that deal.

I've had no issues & have had some serious marathons. [/knocking on wood]

Majpain
12-25-2006, 05:56 PM
I dont get overheating issues. Horizontal is the way to go. BTW dont forget to get Gears!

Scatman
12-25-2006, 06:14 PM
friend just got one today and it came broken....actually only hd was broken but sucks none the less..for being straight out of the box

eckerdguy
12-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks everyone, Ill nix the cooler, I believe I saw those pics also and it made me worry, I gave a list to my girlfriend awhile back and I think that is before I saw that.

It was a nice surprise and she did get me GEARS and Madden so those should keep me occupied for awhile.

If anyone else has some tips for a xbox 360 newbie id love to hear them. Thanks again

branflakecereal
12-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks everyone, Ill nix the cooler, I believe I saw those pics also and it made me worry, I gave a list to my girlfriend awhile back and I think that is before I saw that.

It was a nice surprise and she did get me GEARS and Madden so those should keep me occupied for awhile.

If anyone else has some tips for a xbox 360 newbie id love to hear them. Thanks again

Here's a few - Get Live as soon as humanly possible, the same statement goes for Rainbow Six: Vegas. If you're a basketball fan, 2K7, not NBA Live, is the way to go. If you want a good racer, Need For Speed: Most Wanted is the best of the more "arcadey" sort of racers, while if you want realism, Test Drive is okay. Download Geometry Wars off Xbox Live Arcade, also -- it is addictive as crack. And if you're an old-school fighter fan, Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting is available for download, also, and can be played online with buddies.

More as I think of them.

Edit: Thanks Phinfan, yeah, I'm a year late >.<

Troysif
12-25-2006, 09:53 PM
you mean 2k7 ^^^

Slappy8800
12-26-2006, 02:08 AM
i played 2k7 and i dont what everyone loves about it....the gameplay is just as bad as live but with way worse graphics

UCFinfan86
12-26-2006, 11:38 AM
i just got my 360 for xmas as well. Every other time i play i get a disc read error, im not sure if that is because of the disk or the xbox. When your system over heats what does it do?????? Also i got 2K7 which is great, COD2 which is good and im borrowing fight night from my friend which is awesome.

Agent51
12-26-2006, 12:37 PM
I've had my 360 since the week E3 expo (so March I think?), because that's when a demo for the game I was waiting for came out, lol. I have it setup in my entertainment center, which has 4 slots for components on it. The 360 is in the bottom left and it only has about an inch or 2 clearence around it on all sides, and I've never had an overheating problem, and I've had it on all night before when I feel asleep, and I've also had some Madden sessions with friends that go on for a good 10+ games in a row, not a single overheating issue ever, and I don't use a fan nor does it have tons of open space around it. It's surrounded by other components like a PS2, a DVR/cable box, and a surround sound reciever, lol.

Sethdaddy8
12-28-2006, 03:57 PM
i have the cooler, and have had no issues thus far.

PhinsPhan
12-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Stay away from those fans. They actually block the internal fans of the 360s. The bottom line is if the 360 is in an open area it will never get that hot.