PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Six Vegas or Gears Of War?

Agent51
12-26-2006, 12:45 PM
OK, I'm condsidering getting one of these now. Normally I'd get both, but I have like NO time lately, so I'll barely have time for one "action/adventure/strategy" type game, nevermind 2, so it'd be a waste to get both right now. So now here is the dliemma, which one do I go with? I have never played Gears, but I played the Rainbow 6 demo (offline version) and it was pretty damn cool. Do they both have a co-op mode? Like, split-screen co-op? I prefer that classic co-op style to the XBL co-op, it's way more fun to have some buddies over and drink some booze while playing than it is to sit there alone and talk over a mic.

Majpain
12-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Gears is a much faster than R6. Gears has SP Co-Op, You can play on the same X360 or if they have one. Sadly the Spilt screen is Horizontal. Multiplayer is great IMO. It maybe difficult when you first start playing. You will get frustrated. I think you should get R6 since you liked it. Rent Gears and see if its worth getting as a Multiplayer game. The Graphics, Sound effects, and gameplay is great in Gears.

FinsNCanes
12-26-2006, 04:22 PM
I personally liked Rainbow more..

What is up with games today doing the vertical split screen instead of horizontal?

Majpain
12-26-2006, 04:29 PM
I dont know whats better but I hate being on top on Horizontal.

Firesole
12-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Gears hands down. Its simply the best FPS ever, especially with the gameplay. I tried playing Fear, COD, and a couple others after I beat Gears and I couldnt stand to even waste my time with the gameplay.

I haven't played R6 on 360 yet, but I played them all on PC....if the gameplay is anything like the PC versions I'd shy away from it. Or you can always just visit Blockbuster and try the 2 out.

Marino2Clayton
12-26-2006, 06:14 PM
I have played through boyh and like Gears alot moe, but R6 is a really good game.

NJL52
12-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Rent em both, why waste 60 dollars when you could waste 12.

Slappy8800
12-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Rent em both, why waste 60 dollars when you could waste 12.

where are u renting games that cost 6 bucks?

i waste 9 bucks at blockbuster

mor911
12-26-2006, 07:11 PM
I think Gears is a funner game than RB6, but RB6 definitely has a longer sp experience and more online modes.

I's go with gears.

Bruzer
12-26-2006, 07:41 PM
funner isnt a word ... lol. I also can rent games for 5.50 at family video. I havent played either but would like to.

Agent51
12-27-2006, 10:55 AM
does Rainbow 6 have split screen co-op, or is it all multiplayer over XBL?

As far as Gears being horizontal split screen, that sucks, side-by-side is much easier to play in than top and bottm.

I will eventualy get them both, especially as the surf season dies down, but as far as right now I'm only going to pick up one. I still can't decide, I guess I'll just have to go to friggin blockbuster, which NEVER has either of them in

UltraDol-Fan
12-27-2006, 11:08 AM
I like Gears better for single player, but the online is still VERY good. Only 4 on 4, not many different gametypes. No capture the flag or anything like that.

RB6 I personally don't really like the single player, but the online play is great. Lots of customization so no one looks the same. Yes it has co-op campain and a game called 'terrorist hunt' which you just run through a map with buddies and kill terrorists. splits the screen vertically too :(

both rock, Gears single player is short, only about 8-10 hours on the medium difficulty but is tons of fun and you'll probably want to play it again.

Joe Flipper
12-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Gears Of War !

Predaphin
12-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Get RaINBOW sIX....

....I'll tell you this, you can't go wrong with either one....and both are a must buy....

The best advise I can give you is it depends what type of gamer you are.....

Are you a fast shooter type of gamer? If so, then go with GOW.

Are you are more strategic type of gamer? go with RSV.

Majpain
12-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Get RaINBOW sIX....

....I'll tell you this, you can't go wrong with either one....and both are a must buy....

:yeahthat:

Though do people online treat R6:V as a slow tactical?

UltraDol-Fan
12-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Though do people online treat R6:V as a slow tactical?

I would say most do. There is no way you can run around and expect to live for more than a few seconds

FinsNCanes
12-27-2006, 05:18 PM
GOW from what I saw online (imo) wouldn't hold my interest very long. Now..RB6 I can see myself getting into a clan and what not. I like more tactical shooters though, reason why I played Socom and never played games like Quake. RB6 has rankings and stuff which unlocks other gear and weapons. Isn't GRAW 2 coming out soon?

Slappy8800
12-27-2006, 08:30 PM
just picked up Rainbow six today and im fully immersed....i find it to be extremely difficult which is good...just need to get connected to Live

FinsNCanes
12-27-2006, 08:59 PM
How does Live work? I had an XBOX but can't remember. I'm contemplating on buying one. What do I do just call them up and register and "boom" that's it? I know you don't have to hook up the modem and **** (like the ps2).

UltraDol-Fan
12-28-2006, 11:10 AM
to get live you can either buy one of those prepaid cards at the store or I think there is a menu from the dashboard that you can pay and get connected.

BigDogsHunt
12-28-2006, 11:50 AM
I dont know whats better but I hate being on top on Horizontal.

Oh this quote will come in handy someday! :lol:

Majpain
12-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Oh this quote will come in handy someday! :lol:

:sidelol:

Damn it, I didnt even think about it! Oh you people and your dirty minds!! :lol::wink:

PeaTearGriffin
12-28-2006, 02:27 PM
i had gears and i now have vegas and i have liked vegas more

PhinsPhan
12-28-2006, 11:16 PM
I am also trying to decide. Bestbuy had both on sale on boxing day and both were sold out. So now instead of picking up both I will probably pick up one.

Scatman
12-29-2006, 04:26 AM
got both...love me both but gotta go with gears overall.

Agent51
12-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Get RaINBOW sIX....

Well the main type of gamer I am is a sports gamer. NCAA and Madden get 90% of my time, lol. I also love the Tony Hawk games, and I play racing games too. Then there is always the Grand Theft Auto series, which are great games. I also dabble in the action/FPS games, but I tend to play them less just because I don't have the time to sit down and give a bunch of time to them, whereas Madden and Tony Hawk etc I can just play real quick when I have some free time.

That being said, I would have to say as far as "shooters" go, I like both the fast paced stuff and the strategy stuff. If I had to pick which I liked better, it's be the fast paced stuff, but what I REALLY like the best in shooters is the local co-op gameplay (split-screen). As I said before, it's MUCH more fun to have some buddies over and grab some pizzas and drink some booze and take on the game's campaign together (Halo being the best example of this) as opposed to sitting home alone and doing it via a headset, that's just boring to me.

So basically what it comes down to is which game has the best split-screen co-op, XBL co-op/multiplayer doesn't matter one bit to me, as I would never use those features.

Now If I have read all the posts correctly, I've gotten that Gears has split screen co-op, but it's horizontal only (which sucks, because it's so annoying to play like that, verticle is the way to go IMHO), and Vegas only has co-op viz XBL, correct?

UltraDol-Fan
12-29-2006, 01:08 PM
you can co-op both online or offline...and if I rememeber right I think they both split vertically, I know RB6 does for sure, I would have to go back and check for Gears

Agent51
12-29-2006, 01:38 PM
you can co-op both online or offline...and if I rememeber right I think they both split vertically, I know RB6 does for sure, I would have to go back and check for Gears

Hmmm, well if both can split screen co-op and they are both verticle, then I'd go with gears just for it's faster pace, but if gears is horizontal only then I have a decision to make, slower gameplay for better split screen view, or faster action for crappy view, lol.

FinsNCanes
12-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Go out and get Fight Night and beat the **** out of eachother. That's your solution :D

tory
12-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Gears hands down. Its simply the best FPS ever, especially with the gameplay. I tried playing Fear, COD, and a couple others after I beat Gears and I couldnt stand to even waste my time with the gameplay.

I haven't played R6 on 360 yet, but I played them all on PC....if the gameplay is anything like the PC versions I'd shy away from it. Or you can always just visit Blockbuster and try the 2 out. my god man... fear!? you didnt like fear!!?!?!?

Bruzer
12-30-2006, 10:04 AM
I didn't like fear also.

tory
12-31-2006, 11:10 AM
I didn't like fear also.! i dont get it! i love that game. slo mo is too much fun. you just gotta use it alot.

Agent51
12-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Go out and get Fight Night and beat the **** out of eachother. That's your solution :D

I've had it for months, I got that and Condemned: Criminal Origins when I bought my 360 back in May.

FNR3 is an EXCELLENT video game for drinking nights, lol. It's awesome to create guys that are maxed out on every stat and just pound on each other for 12 rounds. Another thing we like to do, and drinking makes it exceptionally funny, is create a maxed out heavyweight and featherweight (or whatever the lightest class is, I forgot) that is maxed out on everything except cuts, which you keep at zero, and then you turn off ref stoppages and then have the heavyweight POUND on the little guy for 12 rounds. His max heart and chin and all that keeps him from being knocked out (so does NOT hitting him when it goes into that "focus" mode before you knock someone down) but his zero cut rating make his face look like it went through a meat grinder by the end of the fight, it's hilarious.

WestCKoastiN
01-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Gears of War it doesnt get 10.0 for no reason..

Scatman
01-02-2007, 02:03 AM
Gears of War it doesnt get 10.0 for no reason..

what????

banzaitrey
01-02-2007, 12:11 PM
I got a 50 dollar gift card to ebgames and I have been to 3 different stores and none of them have Gears of War...Rainbow is a great game though

Agent51
01-02-2007, 01:34 PM
After even further "research" (lol) I have added Splinter Cell Double Agent to the mix. I FINALLY played the demo and it was pretty damn cool. I read some previews but didn't see anything about Co-Op via split screen, does anyone know if it has it, or is it just via XBL?

I have now decided to just get both Gears and Vegas, the decision is too hard, lol. If Splinter Cell DA has split screen co-op too then I will be buying 3 games