PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Arenas: Definition of "full of yourself"

Fresh
12-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Arenas On Kobe: "My Numbers Are Blowing His Out Of The Water" 25th December, 2006 - 7:02 pm

Washington Post -

Gilbert Arenas (http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/140/gilbert_arenas/) has been putting up a lot of points this season and feels that his numbers compare well to Kobe Bryant (http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/155/kobe_bryant/)'s.

"I'm glad what I'm doing is on national television so they can finally see what I did in the past; my 29 [points per game last season] is not a fluke. What I did in the playoffs is not a fluke. What I've done the last five years is not a fluke," Arenas said. "Everybody says, 'Oh, he's not better than this person, he's not better than that person.' But if you go year by year, number-wise, what's the difference between me and Kobe? He had Shaq. He got three rings. Other than that, my numbers are blowing his out of the water the first six years in the league.Used to be one of my favorites, but every time this guy opens his mouth, I lose more and more respect for him. I mean, these are the types of comments that make people cheer AGAINST certain players. He yaps about his numbers, yet ignores the fact that he doesn't bring anything else to the table but his scoring, and the fact that he's one of the most pathetic defenders in NBA history. Say what you want about Kobe, but as of recent, he finds ways to get his teammates involved and he's THE BEST defender of all superstar perimeter players.. by far.

This is his second big outburst this week. In another interview, he said.. "If I shot the ball 50x per game like Kobe, I'd easily average 40 points per game" :rolleyes2

When I watch the Wizards.. I see Caron Butler, Deshawn Stevenson, and Antwan Jamison having to create their own shots. Arenas does nothing but look for his own.

EDIT: I found the other quote.....

"Who out there can score like me? If I shot 50 times like Kobe does, I could score what he does, too. Name anybody else that can score like me," Arenas demands, then continues before you even think to answer. "I've got two 20-point scorers on my team and I still do what I do. If I didn't have Antawn (Jamison) and Caron (Butler) out here with me I would average 40."How arrogant can you get..

Motion
12-26-2006, 04:26 PM
I'd get the whole story first before you go blasting him. Kobe started that whole war of words. Talking about how Arenas gets all his points from garbage shots and its all luck. Yadda yadda.

Amars
12-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Whatever. Win a ring then talk. Bottom line. Kobe has nothing to prove. He's good and consistent even though he played bad yesterday. And the fact the he compare kobe first 6 year and his first 6yrs is stupid. Kobe sat on the bench for 4 yrs. He started in 2000 and his first year in the NBA was 96.

Dolfan984
12-26-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm a Warriors fan and used to LOVE Arenas (and rooted for the Washington Warriors in the playoffs....and yes I meant warriors) but man he really comes off as a jerk. Still a hell of a player, watched him since his rookie year.

Rocky Raccoon
12-26-2006, 04:47 PM
well Kobe started it all by saying that Arenas takes a lot of bad shots when they played eachother. And NOBODY takes more bad shots then Kobe.

Slappy8800
12-26-2006, 04:52 PM
i fail to see where what he says is false....

Dolfan984
12-26-2006, 04:53 PM
well Kobe started it all by saying that Arenas takes a lot of bad shots when they played eachother. And NOBODY takes more bad shots then Kobe.

This is 100% true. IMO Kobe is a great player, not so much of a great person.

Motion
12-26-2006, 05:07 PM
i fail to see where what he says is false....

So true

DonShula84
12-26-2006, 06:01 PM
My guess is he is responding to what Kobe said after there game a couple weeks back

PhinzN703
12-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Gilbert wont ever win a ring with the Wizards. He can score 50 a night but it wont ever happen. If they somehow were to trade ofr Yao Ming it might be possible, but that isnt gunna happen.

I never liked Kobe, but if I had to pick between him or Arenas, I'd go for Kobe. Arenas' cocky attitude on a 14-12 team is laughable

UCFinfan86
12-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Just reading those quotes is very misleading. IMO kobe should have never opened his mouth, but hey Kobe did it because arenas showed him up in the matchup and kobe is an ******* and had to respond.

BAMAPHIN 22
12-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Arenas Responds To Kobe's Criticism

It seems that Gilbert Arenas has shelved the Hibachi (http://wizards.aolsportsblog.com/2006/12/02/hibachi-arenas-stays-hot-in-win-over-bobcats/) for now. You may recall that after Gilbert lit up Kobe and the Lakers for 60 in a win last week, Bryant had some interesting comments (http://wizards.aolsportsblog.com/2006/12/18/kobe-says-gilbert-arenas-has-no-conscience/) about the performance. Kobe basically said that the Wizards' star had "no conscience," and that some of his shots were "awful." If you know anything about Gilbert Arenas, then you know a response was coming, and here it is: He now says "quality shots," an obvious response to Kobe's criticism.

"Ever since Kobe said I was lucky, I say 'quality shots.' Maybe Kobe would say that was luck. It's luck when you score 30 or 40, but luck can't get you 50 or 60. Every game before the game, I make 10 threes from 10 spots on the court. That's 100 threes." It probably seems like Arenas has hit 100 threes this week alone. Gilbert joined an elite group of five other players as the only ones in NBA history to score 50 or more twice in six days. His 54 over the Suns helped the Wiz snap Phoenix's 15-game winning streak.

This Kobe v Gilbert rivalry is getting interesting. I can't wait for their next match-up, which takes place in Washington on February 3rd. Expect lots of quality shots from Gilbert, and lots of shots period from Kobe.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2006/12/26/arenas-responds-to-kobes-criticism/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fspurs.aolsportsblog.com%2F2006%2F12%2F24%2Farenas-responds-to-kobes-criticism%2F&frame=true

djfresh47
12-27-2006, 12:16 AM
Both are still in the running for the next Olympic team I think. Neither were able to go because of injuries but I expect both of them to be on the team.

Fresh
12-27-2006, 01:11 AM
I'd get the whole story first before you go blasting him. Kobe started that whole war of words. Talking about how Arenas gets all his points from garbage shots and its all luck. Yadda yadda.

Nah, I know the whole story. Judging by your location, I can see that you're a Wizards fan so I know you're going to try and stick up for Arenas. However, I could care less.. I know the situation. Kobe opened his mouth first, and made some dumb comments although a lot of them were actually true.

But sorry.. I watch NBA TV.. I've seen Arenas' interviews. He thinks he is the best player in the NBA, and he also thinks that people are dumb for calling someone else better than him. Seriously, how arrogant is that? He's not better than Kobe. He's not better than Wade. He's not better than LBJ. He's not better than AI. He's not better than KG or Duncan. His place in the top 10 is even questionable.

The guy is as full of himself as you can find, and if you deny that, then you're pretty clueless about Gilbert Arenas. A while back when he got pulled over by a cop, he threw out the.. "do you know who I am, Gilbert Arenas, the basketball player, the NBA All-Star?" issue with the cops. I thought it was funny, but then when I got to see more and more of his interviews.. man, what a cocky person this guy is. I'd hate to be friends with someone like that.

I don't care if I'm alone on this one, but starting a new franchise, I'd take Caron Butler before Gilbert Arenas. Give me the complete player who can score, rebound, attack the basket, and play solid defense over the arrogant pure scorer who actually CARES how many points he's scoring.

Section126
12-27-2006, 01:58 AM
Hey Blueprint...you are forgetting one basic fact.

Arenas is crazy.

He is not "Ah...you are so crazy" type of crazy.

he is "I am gonna burn down your house while wearing a clown suit" type of crazy.

He is a nutcase. A real one.

Fresh
12-27-2006, 02:51 AM

Arenas is crazy.

he is "I am gonna burn down your house while wearing a clown suit" type of crazy.

That's a new one, but nice.. :lol:

Ferretsquig
12-27-2006, 07:16 AM
Its refreshing to hear athletes tell the truth every once in a while. Frankly I think this image that athletes like Wade and Lebron put forth of the humble athlete is dull. It does serve to get them the endorsement deals so I can't blame them, but its a pitifully thin facade and anyone who falls for it is an idiot. All of those guys know they're the best, and if you ever listen to them on the court they aren't afraid to say it either.....yes even the lover boy Wade.

Motion
12-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Nah, I know the whole story. Judging by your location, I can see that you're a Wizards fan so I know you're going to try and stick up for Arenas. However, I could care less.. I know the situation. Kobe opened his mouth first, and made some dumb comments although a lot of them were actually true.

But sorry.. I watch NBA TV.. I've seen Arenas' interviews. He thinks he is the best player in the NBA, and he also thinks that people are dumb for calling someone else better than him. Seriously, how arrogant is that? He's not better than Kobe. He's not better than Wade. He's not better than LBJ. He's not better than AI. He's not better than KG or Duncan. His place in the top 10 is even questionable.

The guy is as full of himself as you can find, and if you deny that, then you're pretty clueless about Gilbert Arenas. A while back when he got pulled over by a cop, he threw out the.. "do you know who I am, Gilbert Arenas, the basketball player, the NBA All-Star?" issue with the cops. I thought it was funny, but then when I got to see more and more of his interviews.. man, what a cocky person this guy is. I'd hate to be friends with someone like that.

I don't care if I'm alone on this one, but starting a new franchise, I'd take Caron Butler before Gilbert Arenas. Give me the complete player who can score, rebound, attack the basket, and play solid defense over the arrogant pure scorer who actually CARES how many points he's scoring.

My location has nothing to do with it and I'm not defending Arenas. I'm just pointing out that Kobe started all the talk and is just as guilty. You can't honestly tell me that he's the only pro athlete that says and does that kinda crap either.

DeathStar
12-27-2006, 10:14 AM
what about the guy that started it?

PhinzN703
12-27-2006, 11:41 AM
My location has nothing to do with it and I'm not defending Arenas. I'm just pointing out that Kobe started all the talk and is just as guilty. You can't honestly tell me that he's the only pro athlete that says and does that kinda crap either.

Kobe has actually accomplished stuff in the NBA whereas Arenas has done nothing. Sure he can score 60 pts any given night but at the end of the year, just check his NBA trophy case.

Kobe, checkmate.

(and I don't even like Kobe) :lol:

Motion
12-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Kobe has actually accomplished stuff in the NBA whereas Arenas has done nothing. Sure he can score 60 pts any given night but at the end of the year, just check his NBA trophy case.

Kobe, checkmate.

(and I don't even like Kobe) :lol:

His trophies have nothing to do with personally bashing another player.

PhinzN703
12-27-2006, 01:09 PM
His trophies have nothing to do with personally bashing another player.

Normally I would agree but I hate Arenas and all the Wizards. I wouldnt mind at all if Kobe and Gilbert got into a fight and KO'd each other. But at least Kobe has the brass trophy balls to speak about stuff. Gilbert needs to just shut up and play before he goes and talks shidd about more accomplished people

dreday
12-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Seriously,you dont get to the NBA being a "nice guy".Alot of these guys handle themselves well in public,but they all have massive egos.The commercials paint a glossy picture,but it doesnt mean its them.That said, I think Arenas was just responding to Kobe and of course once again the media blows it up.They both need to STFU and play basketball.

dominizzo
12-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Gilbert arenas is a good damn BBall player but Kobe is the blabber always has been!!

unifiedtheory
12-27-2006, 09:02 PM

Arenas is crazy.

Post of the week!:sidelol:

Prime Time
12-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Kobe >>> Arenas. Any day of the week. Kobe had Shaq but he HAS 3 rings while Arenas has none. I agree that Gilbert can score..but he lacks in other areas.

King Felix
12-27-2006, 10:11 PM

Arenas is crazy.

haha so true.

for some reason he has a grudge against mike d'antony(suns coach) and nate mcmillan because they were assistant coaches in fiba, and he got cut.....he said he is going to score 50 on both of them, he already did that on the suns....lol he is crazy, nice guy though

Fresh
12-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Its refreshing to hear athletes tell the truth every once in a while. Frankly I think this image that athletes like Wade and Lebron put forth of the humble athlete is dull. It does serve to get them the endorsement deals so I can't blame them, but its a pitifully thin facade and anyone who falls for it is an idiot. All of those guys know they're the best, and if you ever listen to them on the court they aren't afraid to say it either.....yes even the lover boy Wade.

Of course those guys have a bit more personality and character to them aside from being humble. Every superstar has a fight in them, especially Wade. He yells and screams at refs on the court, and who said there was ANYTHING wrong with knowing/thinking that you're the best??

It's when you come out and gloat about it that it becomes a conceited, full of **** display.. which is what pretty much sums up the acts of Gilbert Arenas, all the time. He's just an arrogant invididual, and no one can really challenge that statement.

But no.. Dwyane Wade isn't "hiding" who he really is just to be marketed better. LeBron James seems more of the type who would put on that type of act, but I don't think he's that type either. You're putting too much into it now.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Gilbert's ballin out of his mind. No big deal about what he said, it's how he feels and now that he's said it, he's got to back it up (which he is). Gilbert's a good guy. So what he's conceited, most athletes at the top of their games are!

Fresh
12-28-2006, 12:27 AM
He's scoring out've his mind.

Doesn't bring anything else to the table..

FinsNYanksFan13
12-28-2006, 12:46 AM
He's scoring out've his mind.

Doesn't bring anything else to the table..

Well he's also averaging 6 assists and 4 rebounds per which almost makes him a 30, 5, and 5 guy. Add to that the fact that since he's arrived in Washington he's led them to the playoffs 2 years in a row (a place they hadn't been since 96/97 and he got them to the 2nd round) and helped lead them to 45 wins 2 years ago (most since 78/79). Plus, he's got them playing their best ball right now after a rough start and there definitely going to make the playoffs again. When's the last time a basketball team from Washington made it to the playoffs (Wizards or Bullets lol)? Gilbert might not be Kobe or Wade but he's not that far off. Let's not just call him a scorer when he's far from the only one who's like that in the NBA!

Fresh
12-28-2006, 05:27 AM
He is "just a scorer" and anyone who watches the guy play knows it.

Those assist numbers are just as bloated as any I've ever seen. On the right team and in the right situation, it's easy to pick up assists without actually doing anything. I've rarely ever seen the guy run the floor with the INTENTION of creating for teammates, and that's fine.. he's a scorer.

WestCoastPhins
12-28-2006, 06:10 AM
Kobe needs to STFU. Gilbert is just responding to dumb comments. Gilbert is an insane scorer and can shoot cleanly from almost anywhere. But yeah his D is lacking. Which seperates him from the absoulte elite players. And kobe has nothing to back it up. If arenas had shaq in his prime he would have 3 or more rings. Kobe and his 81 was stupid cause anyone who takes 60 somthing shots can get 80. Ill take fg% any day. Arenas is crazy but he needs to be for his team to be good.

Ferretsquig
12-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Of course those guys have a bit more personality and character to them aside from being humble. Every superstar has a fight in them, especially Wade. He yells and screams at refs on the court, and who said there was ANYTHING wrong with knowing/thinking that you're the best??

Dunno....who would say anything like that?

He thinks he is the best player in the NBA, and he also thinks that people are dumb for calling someone else better than him. Seriously, how arrogant is that?

It's when you come out and gloat about it that it becomes a conceited, full of **** display.. which is what pretty much sums up the acts of Gilbert Arenas, all the time. He's just an arrogant invididual, and no one can really challenge that statement.

But no.. Dwyane Wade isn't "hiding" who he really is just to be marketed better. LeBron James seems more of the type who would put on that type of act, but I don't think he's that type either. You're putting too much into it now.

Yes I know, hes also this lovingly faithful husband and father, soft spoken, always willing to sacrifice personal glory for the team, playing for the love of the game and not the money....did I miss any cliches? I remember when Jordan was all of those things.

Fresh
12-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Yes I know, hes also this lovingly faithful husband and father, soft spoken, always willing to sacrifice personal glory for the team, playing for the love of the game and not the money....did I miss any cliches? I remember when Jordan was all of those things.

So basically, without even knowing Dwyane Wade.. you are saying that all of those things are just for marketing purposes? Come on man, that is just STUPID to say. We dont know the guy personally, so the best way to judge things = how he carries himself in any and all situations.

I am sure that there are a lot of players who act a certain way just for the positive image, but I highly doubt Dwyane Wade is one of them.

UCFinfan86
12-29-2006, 12:21 AM
So basically, without even knowing Dwyane Wade.. you are saying that all of those things are just for marketing purposes? Come on man, that is just STUPID to say. We dont know the guy personally, so the best way to judge things = how he carries himself in any and all situations.

I am sure that there are a lot of players who act a certain way just for the positive image, but I highly doubt Dwyane Wade is one of them.

All the announcers and interviewers always say how nice and genuine Wade is. You can tell by his interviews that he is just a nice guy. I don't know if you seen the interview before the christmas game, but i believe thats how he really is. Im not going to comment on Arenas because i haven't really seen more then one or two of his interviews

WestCKoastiN
12-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Whatever. Win a ring then talk. Bottom line. Kobe has nothing to prove. He's good and consistent even though he played bad yesterday. And the fact the he compare kobe first 6 year and his first 6yrs is stupid. Kobe sat on the bench for 4 yrs. He started in 2000 and his first year in the NBA was 96.

:up:

Muck
12-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Like a lot of NBA'ers, I'd say he's pretty self-absorbed.

12. Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas
While interfering with police officers who were arresting a teammate, reportedly said: "You can't arrest me. I'm a basketball player." Subsequently arrested.

From Page 2's latest Police Blotter Power Rankings. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/061228&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos2

AirMarino83
12-29-2006, 02:27 PM

thats why i love him...

AirMarino83
12-29-2006, 02:31 PM
oh yeah, about kobe and his rings... he had shaq. many seem to forget this when talkin about kobe's greatness. you can throw about 10 guys in the nba to combo with shaq in his prime to win 3 rings... plus most of them would coexist with him.

finfansince72
12-29-2006, 03:58 PM
I love how childish and silly Kobe sounded after getting his self roasted by Arenas. He then goes on to be critical of Arenas shot selection. I mean whats next from Kobe marriage advise?
Alot of people who havent been watching the Wizards for years, heck I was a Bullets fan, simply dont understand that he is the best player we have had since Wes Unseld. He has turned this team into a playoff team and on any given night this team can beat anyone, anywhere. We ended Phoenix's streak at what 16games? Caron Butler is playing great too, that Kwame Brown for Butler trade was a steal, Butlers does it all, scores, rebounds, plays defense, hes a really solid player. The Wizards need some interior defense but so do like 20 teams in the NBA.

AirMarino83
12-30-2006, 04:31 PM
finfan, you made me realize that caron has played with some badass players: wade, kobe, & gilbert... wow

Fresh
12-30-2006, 09:20 PM
All the announcers and interviewers always say how nice and genuine Wade is. You can tell by his interviews that he is just a nice guy. I don't know if you seen the interview before the christmas game, but i believe thats how he really is. Im not going to comment on Arenas because i haven't really seen more then one or two of his interviews

Yep, no doubt about it.

I've seen every story and interview on the guy.. he's a genuine good guy, not just an actor for marketing purposes. To say something like that is actually, pretty stupid (no offense to whoever said it). I actually used to look at Michael Jordan as an actor.. I don't know, he just looks like a mean person. :lol:

I actually like watching Arenas.. he's entertaining to watch, especially in the playoffs last year. But overall, he hasn't accomplished much as a pro yet.. where Kobe is a 3-time NBA Champ and was pretty much ROBBED of an MVP last year. I used to really like Arenas when we was with the Warriors - he was much more of a passer and creator for teammates. In fact, the year Miami signed Odom.. I wanted Arenas. Guy develops his jumper and gets his head spiced up a bit, and he changed as a player. Instead of expanding all other areas, he has turned into a pure shooter who could care less about involving teammates. Basketball aside, as a person, I'd probably only hang around him to tell him how much better Kobe, Wade, LBJ, and a few others are whenever he's calling himself the best. He's an *** hole.

finfansince72
12-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Yep, no doubt about it.

I've seen every story and interview on the guy.. he's a genuine good guy, not just an actor for marketing purposes. To say something like that is actually, pretty stupid (no offense to whoever said it). I actually used to look at Michael Jordan as an actor.. I don't know, he just looks like a mean person. :lol:

I actually like watching Arenas.. he's entertaining to watch, especially in the playoffs last year. But overall, he hasn't accomplished much as a pro yet.. where Kobe is a 3-time NBA Champ and was pretty much ROBBED of an MVP last year. I used to really like Arenas when we was with the Warriors - he was much more of a passer and creator for teammates. In fact, the year Miami signed Odom.. I wanted Arenas. Guy develops his jumper and gets his head spiced up a bit, and he changed as a player. Instead of expanding all other areas, he has turned into a pure shooter who could care less about involving teammates. Basketball aside, as a person, I'd probably only hang around him to tell him how much better Kobe, Wade, LBJ, and a few others are whenever he's calling himself the best. He's an *** hole.

Arenas carries the Wizards to the playoffs, hes accomplished a lot. What has Kobe done without Shaq? Zip. Less than Arenas has without Shaq. Put Arenas on those teams with Shaq, they still win titles. Arenas is in a class with LBJ, Wade and Kobe. The guys like 25 years old and dominating the league, he has every right to feel hes up there with those guys. You turn around a horrid, horrid franchise like the Wizards consistantly work at your game to be better every single and you have every right to talk a bit. Acting as though Arenas was better at GS is crazy. GS sucked and Arenas was a decent player, hes a great player and the Wizards are a playoff team now, theres no question hes miles better now. The Wizards are playing really good right now and Arenas is lighting it up, the critisicm of him is just silly right now.

AirMarino83
12-31-2006, 05:28 AM
(above) i take it youre also a gilbert fan?

FinsNYanksFan13
12-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Yep, no doubt about it.

Dude you act like getting a ring or MVP is easy. Dude, one player get the award every year out of 400+ players and only one team wins a title out of 30. Considering that since Jordan retired only one team that didn't have Tim Duncan or Shaq on it have won titles, I'd say it's a pretty tough thing to accomplish!