PDA

View Full Version : Are Classics Still Being Made?

dQbell
12-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Something that has really gotten my attention lately is the passing of so many great entertainers from the 20th Century. I think it really hit when Johnny Carson passed away.

I'm 34, and while I didn't grow up with Sinatra, I do appreciate certain actors and entertainers that were before my time.

I am somewhat worried. I'm concerned that there isn't a compass in entertainment. I don't have the feeling that the next movie to be released, or the actor acting in that movie will have the same impact more traditional actors have had. Everything seems so general, unoriginal.

Does anyone else sense this? Do you think current musicians, actors and entertainers are shallow and lacking in depth?

Roman529
12-29-2006, 06:39 PM
I think times change but it isn't until much later that a lot of people realize greatness or like it.

Not many people cared for Elvis when he came out.....but after he died he became more popular than ever.

I think music has kind of gone downhill since the 1990's, and I don't care for much of today's music, but maybe that is because I am 40 and not really into rap, or a lot of the stuff out there.

When I think about classics, I think about cars, especially the muscle cars of the 60's. You have companies bringing back the old style look of the Ford Mustangs, and the old Camaros and Dodges, but there are not a lot of "original" ideas out there in the automotive industry. I guess it depends what you like.

Amars
12-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Music especially rap/hip hop has gone downhill. Since when has music been about guns, slapping biatches and hoes, killing. I especially cant stand it when today rappers say they get their inspiration from greats like James Brown. James Brown never talked about that kinda stuff. Rap has gone downhill since the mid 90's when they actually had message in their lyrics. I know many here wont agree with me but that is just my opinion.

unifiedtheory
12-29-2006, 07:10 PM
I can't comment on actors really because my movie viewing is pretty limited, same for T.V. to be honest. Seems to me their are more people that are famous now because they are famous, not because of anything substantive they have actually achieved. That comes from the voyeur culture we live in I suppose. Everyone wants to know everything about everyone so they no longer have to focus on themselves...

I can tell you, in my opinion, that this is a GREAT time in music, at least for the genre I like. I've bought a few records this year that I'll be spinning years from now.

Quality is out there, just don't rely on the main stream media to help you find it.

phinpunk14
12-31-2006, 02:07 PM
30 or 40 years ago, there was not nearly as many artists and actors as there is now. Its easy to become a legend when only a handful of people perform a certain genre of music. Now, you have to battle thousands of people to even get a deal. Slip for even one record and you may be completely forgotten.

Nappy Roots
12-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Music especially rap/hip hop has gone downhill. Since when has music been about guns, slapping biatches and hoes, killing. I especially cant stand it when today rappers say they get their inspiration from greats like James Brown. James Brown never talked about that kinda stuff. Rap has gone downhill since the mid 90's when they actually had message in their lyrics. I know many here wont agree with me but that is just my opinion.

everyone but rap fans will agree with you. everyone on this board hates rap. :rolleyes2

mor911
12-31-2006, 02:25 PM
Music especially rap/hip hop has gone downhill. Since when has music been about guns, slapping biatches and hoes, killing. I especially cant stand it when today rappers say they get their inspiration from greats like James Brown. James Brown never talked about that kinda stuff. Rap has gone downhill since the mid 90's when they actually had message in their lyrics. I know many here wont agree with me but that is just my opinion.it's easy for people to say that rap music is all about slappin ******* and killing people... the truth is, it's about experiences someone lived through in some not-so-friendly neighborhoods. When you grow uo in an environment where these stories are a reality, the rap music makes more sense and you'll see that it's much more than "slappin hoes and killing people".

Don't judge.

Slappy8800
12-31-2006, 03:30 PM
it's easy for people to say that rap music is all about slappin ******* and killing people... the truth is, it's about experiences someone lived through in some not-so-friendly neighborhoods. When you grow uo in an environment where these stories are a reality, the rap music makes more sense and you'll see that it's much more than "slappin hoes and killing people".

Don't judge.

as soon as you live in a mansion in hollywood hills, you singing about "life on the street" loses all interest.

oh look im fitty cent i got shot 6 times and was in jail........am I supposed to feel bad for you?

Nappy Roots
12-31-2006, 03:54 PM
as soon as you live in a mansion in hollywood hills, you singing about "life on the street" loses all interest.

oh look im fitty cent i got shot 6 times and was in jail........am I supposed to feel bad for you?

at what point has 50 cent asked for you or anyone else to feel bad for you?

and the minute you stop playing football, is that the last time you can talk about it?

dolphan117
12-31-2006, 03:54 PM
I have no problem with Rapers who tell their life story, good or bad. I have a HUGE problem with rappers that chose to rap about violence as a simple form of entertainment. How about actually trying to do something and make a difference? Inspire people to do something positive, stay in school, or other "boring" things that could improve people lives and get them out of the streets that most of these rappers grew up on? Where is that kind of stuff?

Rappers aren't trying to change anything, as a group, they aren't trying to use their influence to do anything positive or change the "life" that they grew up living and that their fans live. That's the problem that I have with rap. Love the style, hate that most rappers do nothing, or almost nothing positive, with their gift. Sure they make money and I have no problem with that. I just wish the industry actually cared enough about the hardship they continually talk about to actually try and change it.

Slappy8800
12-31-2006, 03:58 PM
I have no problem with Rapers who tell their life story, good or bad. I have a HUGE problem with rappers that chose to rap about violence as a simple form of entertainment. How about actually trying to do something and make a difference? Inspire people to do something positive, stay in school, or other "boring" things that could improve people lives and get them out of the streets that most of these rappers grew up on? Where is that kind of stuff?

Rappers aren't trying to change anything, as a group, they aren't trying to use their influence to do anything positive or change the "life" that they grew up living and that their fans live. That's the problem that I have with rap. Love the style, hate that most rappers do nothing, or almost nothing, with their gift.

thats pretty much the same sentiment i have...you just said it alot better lol

Nappy Roots
12-31-2006, 04:00 PM

Rappers aren't trying to change anything, as a group, they aren't trying to use their influence to do anything positive or change the "life" that they grew up living and that their fans live. That's the problem that I have with rap. Love the style, hate that most rappers do nothing, or almost nothing positive, with their gift. Sure they make money and I have no problem with that. I just wish the industry actually cared enough about the hardship they continually talk about to actually try and change it.

its all over the place. the problem is, the people that hate rap are just blind hating. they dont give rap a chance so they dont listen to everything there is. because they dont try to tell everyone to be smart and stay out of jail in 8 outta 10 songs like i guess some other genres do(i dont listen to other genres), doesnt mean its not there. music is a form of entertainment incase some of yall forgot.

and if you honestly and seriously think that rappers could change anything, then you have no clue whats really going on in this world.

Prime Time
12-31-2006, 04:06 PM

Why don't you say this about Video Games or Movies and TV shows??? :shakeno:

dolphan117
12-31-2006, 04:16 PM
its all over the place. the problem is, the people that hate rap are just blind hating. they dont give rap a chance so they dont listen to everything there is. because they dont try to tell everyone to be smart and stay out of jail in 8 outta 10 songs like i guess some other genres do(i dont listen to other genres), doesnt mean its not there. music is a form of entertainment incase some of yall forgot.
You may be right about this as I don't listen to a tone of rap. The problem I have is that the top mogals don't seem to make it a real focus. Although I must say seeing Jay-Z on 60 minutes the other week talking about preventable diseases in Africa was awfully nice. The world could do with a lot more of that type of thing from the rap industry.

and if you honestly and seriously think that rappers could change anything, then you have no clue whats really going on in this world.Honestly I don't see that as anything more than an excuse that people who don't want to try make. Where would we be if Martin Luther King hadn't had a dream? And how many people told him to shut up and that there was no way he could ever change anything? Many many people I would guess. Thankfully he didn't listen, and even if you cant change everything there is still no excuse for not trying. At least in some measure to do something. I will guarantee you this-If people settle for the attitude of "we cant change anything so why try" than it wont change. Ever. Guaranteed. The only way things change in society is when there are leaders who step up and make it happen.

dolphan117
12-31-2006, 04:25 PM
Why don't you say this about Video Games or Movies and TV shows??? :shakeno:Because in movies and Vidoe games you are bringing punishment to people who deserve it. Cops catching Robers, Spies tracking terrorists. I have no problem with that. Heck I have no problem with violence at all when its properly used. A terrorist getting blown away? Saddam Hanging for killing over 300,000 people while in power? No problem with that "violence" whatsoever.

What I have a problem with is senseless violence. Gang shootings over turf wars, drug wars, and the other tragedy that happens "on the street" where people's lives are being cut short simple because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time or because they belong to a gang. There is no need for that and IMO the rap industry hasn't made nearly enough of an effort to do anything about it. Heck some belong to these gangs and do absolutely nothing to discourage others from doing the same. I just have no respect for someone who uses their God given talent to make money while perpetuating the cycle of street violence.

Like I said if a guy is just telling his life story that's one thing. Continuing to try and "live the life" after you have the money not to is another thing.

Nappy Roots
12-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Honestly I don't see that as anything more than an excuse that people who don't want to try make. Where would we be if Martin Luther King hadn't had a dream? And how many people told him to shut up and that there was no way he could ever change anything? Many many people I would guess. Thankfully he didn't listen, and even if you cant change everything there is still no excuse for not trying. At least in some measure to do something. I will guarantee you this-If people settle for the attitude of "we cant change anything so why try" than it wont change. Ever. Guaranteed. The only way things change in society is when there are leaders who step up and make it happen.

there is no comparison between what king did and what any rapper could do. black people wanted to change. ask any crack dealer standing on the corner if he would listen to a rapper telling him to stop selling crack. not gonna happen. its not reality to them. its like watching a sci-fi movie that totally unrealistic. they wanna hear real life rap, something that connects to them.

See Tupac tried to do both. he tried to tell the whole hood aspect, the gun play, the drugs, the murders, the robbing, etc. and then turn around and tell the hood they need to smarten up, they need to take care of their women, they need to live a better life. he is the only rapper that i could see EVER being able to make a change. tupac said "Heart of a solider with a brain to teach your whole nation" and "I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world". but he also didnt act like what was going on in the ghettos and hoods wasnt real. he spoke the "thug life" to. because he knew if he didnt connect, there was no point of trying to preach his belief anyways, cause no one would listen.

there has to be someone of power to spark any type of change, and rappers have no real power. the last real powerful rappers were killed in 1996 and 1997. Jay-z or 50 cent is powerful, but not that powerful. if they go to the wrong place, they can get got just like any other dude from the block.

dolphan117
12-31-2006, 04:41 PM
there is no comparison between what king did and what any rapper could do. black people wanted to change. ask any crack dealer standing on the corner if he would listen to a rapper telling him to stop selling crack. not gonna happen. its not reality to them. its like watching a sci-fi movie that totally unrealistic. they wanna hear real life rap, something that connects to them
So are you saying that black people overall don't want to change?

See Tupac tried to do both. he tried to tell the whole hood aspect, the gun play, the drugs, the murders, the robbing, etc. and then turn around and tell the hood they need to smarten up, they need to take care of their women, they need to live a better life. he is the only rapper that i could see EVER being able to make a change. tupac said "Heart of a solider with a brain to teach your whole nation" and "I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world". but he also didnt act like what was going on in the ghettos and hoods wasnt real. he spoke the "thug life" to. because he knew if he didnt connect, there was no point of trying to preach his belief anyways, cause no one would listen.

there has to be someone of power to spark any type of change, and rappers have no real power. the last real powerful rappers were killed in 1996 and 1997. Jay-z or 50 cent is powerful, but not that powerful. if they go to the wrong place, they can get got just like any other dude from the block.
Not going to argue with you here as I don't know the story nearly well enough to do so. If it did indeed go down like that and Tupac was trying to make a legitimate difference than his death is indeed a loss. And a big one. Like I said though I'm not familiar enough to have my own opinion on it.

dolphan117
12-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Backing out of this thead now. Its almost game time. :woot:

Nappy Roots
12-31-2006, 04:48 PM
So are you saying that black people overall don't want to change?

no im not saying they dont WANT to change, but there is no fight for it. black people fought for that back in the day, some till their death.

most people on the block HOPE it would change, but if you ask most 15-25 year old men in the hood, theres no drive to change. it just it is what it is type of thought. and unfortunatly, thats the people who runs the block.

Maynard the Hammer
12-31-2006, 04:50 PM
the whole culture lacks depth