PDA

View Full Version : Crap..I'm in a pickle. Help me! PC or 360 (for now)?

FinsNCanes
01-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Alright..here is the situation.

I grew up on MMO and I have a real life buddy who plays WoW and I've been interested in WoW for a while. Thing is..I keep hearing bad things about it constantly (PvP sucks, etc). The game I REALLY want to play is Age of Conan which is supposed to be out in about 6 months (figure I can get my comp then?) and if it sucks WAR will be out 6 months later so not that big of a deal.

I really just want a system for gaming..

Is the 360 worth it? How long of a life span do you see RB6 or GoW having? I need a game to keep me occupied for a while (multiplayer) :(

Help an old gamer out!

On the other hand I guess I could just get the PC and buy RB6, no? I dunno. I don't know what's out anymore. I really got into Socom for a while..so..if either of those (or anything coming out) is any better that'd be great. Socom online though was awesome.

Phin-o-rama
01-02-2007, 11:27 PM
im holdin off about a year prolly on building a new pc to see if windows vista is a route i want to go..

FinsNCanes
01-02-2007, 11:57 PM
im holdin off about a year prolly on building a new pc to see if windows vista is a route i want to go..

You didn't help at all..thanks :lol: :cooldude:

Phin-o-rama
01-03-2007, 12:02 AM
well...it may be a good idea to make a relatively small investment now (360) and then save some cash for a monster pc with vista later :D

FinSinceBirth
01-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Alright..here is the situation.

I grew up on MMO and I have a real life buddy who plays WoW and I've been interested in WoW for a while. Thing is..I keep hearing bad things about it constantly (PvP sucks, etc). The game I REALLY want to play is Age of Conan which is supposed to be out in about 6 months (figure I can get my comp then?) and if it sucks WAR will be out 6 months later so not that big of a deal.

I really just want a system for gaming..

Is the 360 worth it? How long of a life span do you see RB6 or GoW having? I need a game to keep me occupied for a while (multiplayer) :(

Help an old gamer out!

On the other hand I guess I could just get the PC and buy RB6, no? I dunno. I don't know what's out anymore. I really got into Socom for a while..so..if either of those (or anything coming out) is any better that'd be great. Socom online though was awesome.

I just got my 360 and I love it. Oblivion is an absolutely amazing game. It's like WOW but without other people. You can do pretty much anything you want however you want whenever. The graphics are incredible, and using a 360 is less than building a new computer to handle all the intense gaming.
I've also heard GOW is great for multiplayer, and that Phantasy Star Universe is huge on the 360 as well. I have played PSU but I think it's alot like Final Fantasy. And if you like playing people online, there is always xbox live. It's very expansive.

What you do is your choice. But I couldn't be happier with my 360.

FinSinceBirth
01-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Also, Halo 3 is coming out soon. The first Halo designed for the 360, what could be better.

rob19
01-03-2007, 12:14 AM
If you do decide to get a 360, Oblivion is a great game to keep you occupied, easily over 200 hours. Its not muliplayer though.

FinsNCanes
01-03-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm a multiplayer guy though. Single players don't keep me interested for more then 20 hours or so total game time.

This is the reason I asked about GB6 and GoW. Is the multiplayer enough to be satisfied for a while (unless anything else is coming out shortly)..

I personally, from the limited time I saw GB6 see myself playing for a bit..I'm just not sure. DAMNIT! I heard the rankings and **** will set apart alot of people due to unlocking of guns/armor and basically being over powered. This is what happens when you don't really game for a good 3-4 years.

FinSinceBirth
01-03-2007, 12:43 AM
I'm a multiplayer guy though. Single players don't keep me interested for more then 20 hours or so total game time.

I understand what you're saying but I think Oblivion is different from that. I've easily spent 20 hours on everything but the main quest. There are just so many side quests, caves, mines, and ruins to explore. Plus joining guilds and all. Easily a total of 200 hours of gameplay, but I've heard close to 400.

Also, I like the level up system. You're skills increase with the frequency of use. That way you're entirely in control of your leveling up.

FinsNCanes
01-03-2007, 01:41 AM
How does XBL work? Do I have to hook my modem up at all (like ps2) or is it wireless? I don't remember seeing my bro's box hooked up to anything like a modem. Do I just call and register and "boom" or how exactly does it work? I was signed up on xbox but I can't remember how it worked.

I have cable modem at my place if that helps...

FinsNCanes
01-03-2007, 01:45 AM
I understand what you're saying but I think Oblivion is different from that. I've easily spent 20 hours on everything but the main quest. There are just so many side quests, caves, mines, and ruins to explore. Plus joining guilds and all. Easily a total of 200 hours of gameplay, but I've heard close to 400.

Also, I like the level up system. You're skills increase with the frequency of use. That way you're entirely in control of your leveling up.

I see what you're saying but if I'm gonna devote 200 hours to a game it might as well be a an online MMO where I can atleast socialize. I'm really bad when it comes to single player games. I played Madden for a total of 40 minutes and Need for Speed for about the same (all on ps3) it's just very boring to me..that's why I was asking if I should get my PC or XBOX atm (for atleast 6 months) multiplayer wise.

xDOLPHINSx
01-03-2007, 03:18 AM
How does XBL work? Do I have to hook my modem up at all (like ps2) or is it wireless? I don't remember seeing my bro's box hooked up to anything like a modem. Do I just call and register and "boom" or how exactly does it work? I was signed up on xbox but I can't remember how it worked.

I have cable modem at my place if that helps...

i think its like 50 bucks for a year, which isnt bad at all. But yea, as long as u have high speed internet all you have to do is hook the xbox up to the modem with an ethernet cord and ur good to go.

NewEra8
01-03-2007, 04:39 AM
All depends on what kind of games you enjoy playin

Phin-o-rama
01-03-2007, 10:47 AM
rainbow 6 multiplayer is awesome

FinsNCanes
01-03-2007, 03:42 PM
All depends on what kind of games you enjoy playin

FPS/MMO

Only thing I like about console over PC for FPS is the already built in voice chat. Makes it a little easier to hook up with a clan and stuff.

I just hear WoW get's very boring after 60..and I really hate leveling :(

Phinz420
01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Its a tough decision to make for sure. Especially with Vista/DirectX10 era graphics cards looming around the corner. To give you a basic idea of what DirectX10 will offer to MMOs, the game "Vanguard:Saga of Heroes"(due out in a month or so) will have a massive horizon. Without DX10, the horizon extends to a maximum of about 4-5km. With DirectX10/Vista, it will be 10km of viewable terrain.

As time passes, and more graphics cards take advantage of Vista/DX10, things will even be more drastic.

Just don't forget, even though the 360 does cost alot less than a PC- You will also be buying a ton of peripherals for the 360 which can end up being a very hefty investment in itself.

It's all going to come down to what exactly you are looking for as a gamer.

I have downloaded RB6, GRAW, and Oblivion for my PC. There just aren't too many games that come out for the 360 that don't hit the PC as well. I would like to see GoW on the PC of coarse, but I have played the game and it isn't exactly "revolutionary" or anything that makes me wish I had a 360 instead of my PC.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200612/N06.1219.1705.12019.htm

Half-Life 2: Episode 2
WoW: The Burning Crusade
Crysis
Unreal Tournament 2007
Spore
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
Command & Conquer 3
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Age of Conan(Best MMO @ E3)These PC games are all slated for 2007, and this looks to be the biggest year for PC games in a very long time- maybe ever.

Phinz420
01-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Also, Halo 3 is coming out soon. The first Halo designed for the 360, what could be better.

How about a FPS that is played on a mouse and keyboard with the proper controls :D

I have Halo for the Xbox, I installed my room mate's Halo for the PC. Take a guess which one plays better.

Im not suggesting that I dont enjoy playing shooters on a controller. Goldeneye for the N64 is one of my all time favorite games(and Halo/Socom are really great too). But when comparing it to PC shooters, theres just a huge void left between the two.

FinSinceBirth
01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
How about a FPS that is played on a mouse and keyboard with the proper controls :D

I have Halo for the Xbox, I installed my room mate's Halo for the PC. Take a guess which one plays better.

Im not suggesting that I dont enjoy playing shooters on a controller. Goldeneye for the N64 is one of my all time favorite games(and Halo/Socom are really great too). But when comparing it to PC shooters, theres just a huge void left between the two.

I just hate using the keyboard, no matter what it is I always feel awkward when using it.

Phinz420
01-03-2007, 06:38 PM
I just hate using the keyboard, no matter what it is I always feel awkward when using it.

We must be cut from two different cloths. While I can get used to playing on any controller, nothing comes close to the functionality of a keyboard & mouse. The fact alone of the keyboard being completely customized to best fit your gaming needs puts it far ahead of any Controller Scheme. As for the mouse, well i think we all know that having the precision of a mouse is on another level. Especially with anyone who uses a gaming mouse that has over 1500+ DPI.

Phin-o-rama
01-03-2007, 07:16 PM
u can use a mouse and keyboard with the 360...just fyi

Phinz420
01-03-2007, 07:52 PM
u can use a mouse and keyboard with the 360...just fyi

Seen the reviews yet? Not even worth mentioning until they can release a product that actually feels smooth. I had high hopes for it until recently.

The verdict: the $80 device works well as a PS2 gamepad adapter, but its keyboard-and-mouse input played worse than a standard Xbox controller. The review reminds us that Xbox games were designed for the Xbox controller

For other games, like Halo 2, apparently the adapter is glitchy; key presses lag, and the mouse control isn't as good as a PC. Games that offer many analog sensitivity options work best, but the XFPS is far from a universal solution.

At least we'll always be able to use the XFPS as an excuse. Even with this mediocre review, we can claim that opponents with mouse control are the cause of our frequent Xbox Live losses.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/30/xfps-reviewed-not-ready-for-prime-time/

:(

It could have added a whole new dimension to playing FPS on the 360.

FinsNCanes
01-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Got a question for the WoW folk..

If I happen to get my PC I'm going to play WoW for the most part. Anyway, the honor bull**** that everyone is doing now, is it going to be useful at all post expansion? I've heard the BC drops/arena items are better, therefore making it kind of useless to grind honor, no? I was told the only upside to some of the gear you can get will help you level a bit up untill about 64ish or so once they get replaced.

Phin-o-rama
01-03-2007, 09:16 PM
yes they will be useless after a few lvls imo...im saving my honor because they will be adding new items to buy post expansion...

FinsNCanes
01-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Think it would be smart to wait for Vista to be out before getting a PC? I heard the date is Jan 30..that's not too bad. I know upgrading OS is kind of a pain last time I remember.

On a side note..where is everyones avatars and sigs?

Phin-o-rama
01-03-2007, 11:05 PM
due to increased traffic they probably disabled them so the forums will work

FinSinceBirth
01-03-2007, 11:08 PM
I thought as users, we were only able to see our own warnings. How come I can see FinsNCanes?

TheMageGandalf
01-03-2007, 11:25 PM
well...it may be a good idea to make a relatively small investment now (360) and then save some cash for a monster pc with vista later :D

I agree.

I was in the same boat and I got a 360 and dont regret it one bit.

Oh I'll get a better PC, but in about a year or so from now.

I suggest you do the same.

FinsNCanes
01-04-2007, 01:40 AM
I thought as users, we were only able to see our own warnings. How come I can see FinsNCanes?

I dunno. I can see other peoples as well. I don't know what I did so bad to get a level 4 though :evil:

GreenMonster
01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Got a question for the WoW folk..

If I happen to get my PC I'm going to play WoW for the most part. Anyway, the honor bull**** that everyone is doing now, is it going to be useful at all post expansion? I've heard the BC drops/arena items are better, therefore making it kind of useless to grind honor, no? I was told the only upside to some of the gear you can get will help you level a bit up untill about 64ish or so once they get replaced.

People have been grinding honor because with the expansion coming out soon, there really isn't a point in going to Scholo or Strat is search of 1 piece when you can PVP your way to a piece without rolling or not seeing it for 20+ runs.. I have been PVP'ing and grinding gold here and there, but I have all the gear I want for the 60+ grind right now..

PS.. I thought the game got better when I got to 60.. Finally I could quest with other people, along with PVP premades..