PDA

View Full Version : Let's start some draft talk!

DolfanTom
01-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Look, I think we're all rather sick and tired of the coach talk at this point, eh! It will happen soon enough, and we'll be debating candidates ad nauseum as they interview, etc. I'm sure H.W. will make a decent choice at the very least. At some point, we're going to have a good coach again - hopefully this time, and it'll make the whole Nick thing look like a major blessing in disguise.

But let's turn to the talent on this team, sha'll we? I'd like to start with our #9 pick in the first round. What position do you all think we should go w/ this ... and to whom? Who might be available at #9? Frankly, I don't care, as long as it's an impact player! Lord knows we need some!

Here's what I'd love to see:

-Calvin Johnson: Are you kidding me here? What a physical freak and he seems to have a decent upbringing, etc. too. Attitude is more on the Chambers end of the spectrum than TO. Would find immediate success w/ whomever is QB ... and it might just open up things again for Chambers!
-Brian Brahm: Dude reminds me of the accuracy of Pennington, w/ a slightly above average arm (compared to Penny's "makes Jay Fiedler look like a cannon" arm). Petrino's offense is pro like so he'll be ready to step up. I just don't see this guy failing - and according to Kiper, Jr. on ESPN radio this a.m, he projects him in the 10-15 pick range of the first round, which would make us a prime candidate. I think he's as safe a pick as there will be in this draft! If Pepper can't do it right away (we should give him the chance), put in Brahm and let's get the learning out of the way ASAP.
-Troy Smith: I think Vince Young's success will help him in being drafted earlier than he might have otherwise. Vince proved that athletic guys w/ big arms in college can translate to NFL success and create matchup problems. I like Brahm better, but I won't be crying if Smith is holding up a Dolphins jersey on draft day.

These are the three that get me excited. Sure, Brady Quinn would be nice but he won't slip down to us, and he's probably not worth trading up for due to our needing the other picks, and the quality that will be there at #9 anyways.

What do you think? And this being the depths - tell me to phuck off if you don't like my ideas.

BwanaZulia
01-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Do you ever post in the main forum?

Shouldn't mods move this? :)

BZ

DolfanTom
01-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Do you ever post in the main forum?

Shouldn't mods move this? :)

BZOccassionally. I know this is a "main forum" discussion ... but the point is, i want to know what the depths thinks about this.

Main forum makes me crazy w/ some of the stuff I read. One person said we should hire some CFL coach as our head coach. CFL!!!! For real ....

Sometimes, I just can't take it.

BwanaZulia
01-05-2007, 01:56 PM
True, but posting it here (as opposed to AFC East, or General NFL) you just know you are going to get the Troll Perspective...

If that is what you want... :)

The Dolphins need a HC first and right after that a QB.

Get one with a good free agency backup or starter (Jeff Garcia anyone) and an offense that works.

BZ

DolfanTom
01-05-2007, 01:58 PM
True, but posting it here (as opposed to AFC East, or General NFL) you just know you are going to get the Troll Perspective...

Get one with a good free agency backup or starter (Jeff Garcia anyone) and an offense that works.

BZI do want the troll perspective - keeps it fun!

I'm all about getting a young QB in here. If not one of those to, Russell from LSU (prolly will be gone) or Drew Stanton. Stanton - a heralded junior who had a down senior year. Sounds like some QB we drafted way back in '83 :wink:

Seriously, though, get me some QB talent in here. Mueller - if he's the GM - can't draft enough of 'em, so I hope it goes that way. Pepper will get his shot probably, so if he is to be a star in Miami, he'll have a chance to show it. But banking on it is soooo Nick Saban.

DolfanTom
01-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, throw Garcia in the mix. He obviously can still chuck it pretty well!

Mike13
01-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm all about getting a young QB in here. If not one of those to, Russell from LSU (prolly will be gone) or Drew Stanton. Stanton - a heralded junior who had a down senior year. Sounds like some QB we drafted way back in '83 :wink:

Seriously, though, get me some QB talent in here. Mueller - if he's the GM - can't draft enough of 'em, so I hope it goes that way. Pepper will get his shot probably, so if he is to be a star in Miami, he'll have a chance to show it. But banking on it is soooo Nick Saban.

I was a big Stanton Supporter last year, I think he'll go in day one but not in the first round. Hell not many of the top ten teams need a QB. And the worst Owners in the league have the top 2 picks, chances are they'll **** that up.It should be intresting to see how mueller handles his first draft here.

Drfating a QB is a real possibility, no coach would want to gamble on Cpep, although when healthy he is a beast, but can he be that again?

LT is also a need, getting would a OLB a C and a DT would help.

PhinzN703
01-05-2007, 03:05 PM

BZ

No way man, trolls only discuss subjects that involve no brains. Tom's thread is actually one that requires knowledge and understanding of the NFL and college.

like2god
01-05-2007, 03:06 PM
I'll be honest, I don't watch much college ball, but I know enough to comment.

First off, I don't see any way that we get Calvin Johnson. He won't fall to us and I don't see us trading away all of our first day picks for one player when we have so many needs. Now maybe there is a scenario where we trade Chambers for a 2nd and somehow get Johnson, but I highly doubt it. It would be nice but it isn't plausible. I also don't know what type of cap hit we would take for trading Chambers (who I have soured on this year).

I don't think that drafting a QB at #9 is a good idea. Rookies don't come into this league and dominate in their first year, it just doesn't happen (waiting for the Big Ben argument from trolls :rolleyes2 ). Even if we did, there is no way we get Quinn (who I think will flop) and I'm not too keen on the idea of drafting Troy Smith. I think we should definitely pick up a QB in the draft to groom, just not with the #9. Listen, you all know my thoughts on Culpepper, lets get him some protection before we boot him off the island.

Which brings me to OL. We definitely need to upgrade the OL and the FA market isn't very exciting. If we can find a young guy that will help us out, I am all for picking him up with our first pick. But who will be there? Joe Thomas? Not likely. Justin Blalock? Possible, but is this too early to draft him?

What about DB? Do we make a run at Clements or does Buffalo resign him? Marcus McCauley, Darrelle Revis, LaRon Landy, Leon Hall should all be there I think.

LB is another area of need.

My honest opinion is to take the best player available at #9 as long as it isn't QB or RB. But right now it's too hard to start ranking players and where they will go in the draft, but we can still talk about what if's. :)

BleedinGreenNC
01-05-2007, 03:15 PM
No way man, trolls only discuss subjects that involve no brains. Tom's thread is actually one that requires knowledge and understanding of the NFL and college.

So why are you in the thread? There is plenty of knowledge in the depths, alot of fin fans come in here because there are countless homers that wear their red glasses all the time in the main forum.

DolfanTom
01-06-2007, 09:58 AM
I'll be honest, I don't watch much college ball, but I know enough to comment.

First off, I don't see any way that we get Calvin Johnson. He won't fall to us and I don't see us trading away all of our first day picks for one player when we have so many needs. Now maybe there is a scenario where we trade Chambers for a 2nd and somehow get Johnson, but I highly doubt it. It would be nice but it isn't plausible. I also don't know what type of cap hit we would take for trading Chambers (who I have soured on this year).

I don't think that drafting a QB at #9 is a good idea. Rookies don't come into this league and dominate in their first year, it just doesn't happen (waiting for the Big Ben argument from trolls :rolleyes2 ). Even if we did, there is no way we get Quinn (who I think will flop) and I'm not too keen on the idea of drafting Troy Smith. I think we should definitely pick up a QB in the draft to groom, just not with the #9. Listen, you all know my thoughts on Culpepper, lets get him some protection before we boot him off the island.

Which brings me to OL. We definitely need to upgrade the OL and the FA market isn't very exciting. If we can find a young guy that will help us out, I am all for picking him up with our first pick. But who will be there? Joe Thomas? Not likely. Justin Blalock? Possible, but is this too early to draft him?

What about DB? Do we make a run at Clements or does Buffalo resign him? Marcus McCauley, Darrelle Revis, LaRon Landy, Leon Hall should all be there I think.

LB is another area of need.

My honest opinion is to take the best player available at #9 as long as it isn't QB or RB. But right now it's too hard to start ranking players and where they will go in the draft, but we can still talk about what if's. :)
Good points. I think Pepper - if healthy - and if we can improve the line, will be better, if not what he was in his 'Sota hey dey. Then, p/u a QB in rounds 2-4 would work well. Still, I wouldn't mind picking up Brian Brohm, though, w/ the ninth pick, but my humble opinion. But if I'm coach, we're taking him :wink:

Johnson won't happen, I know. Was dreaming on that one.

gillderais
01-08-2007, 06:44 PM
I think we need a cornerstone LT. Outside of Vernon Carey and Rex Hadnot we had a lot of flux/changes on that line whole seson round.

As season went on and we named Joey Harrington the starter things got a bit better, but the line basically has played inconstistent all season long. It blocked well enough to run a running play once in a while.

Ronnie Brown did well coming over the right side of the line, but not much else there for him. When it comes to our passing game, none existant. We can't seem to protect the QB long enough, to get a good aerial attack going. So, our opponents will stack up against the run.

One of our main weapons Randy McMichael was --again-- reduced to help blocking on that line, cos its so poor. Really, if we have any aspirartions for next year, we need to start by getting us a line first.

like2god
01-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I think we need a cornerstone LT. Outside of Vernon Carey and Rex Hadnot we had a lot of flux/changes on that line whole seson round.

As season went on and we named Joey Harrington the starter things got a bit better, but the line basically has played inconstistent all season long. It blocked well enough to run a running play once in a while.

Ronnie Brown did well coming over the right side of the line, but not much else there for him. When it comes to our passing game, none existant. We can't seem to protect the QB long enough, to get a good aerial attack going. So, our opponents will stack up against the run.

One of our main weapons Randy McMichael was --again-- reduced to help blocking on that line, cos its so poor. Really, if we have any aspirartions for next year, we need to start by getting us a line first.
:clap::yes:

Excellent post, another Phinfan that knows his stuff.

BleedinGreenNC
01-08-2007, 07:28 PM

I agree with you 100% You know your stuff man, stick to the knowledge, your smack has something to be desired!!:D