PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 v2 "Xephyr"

Motion
01-06-2007, 11:41 AM
From http://www.electronista.com/

A second revision of the Xbox 360 will see a major upgrade to the console's media features, according to a photo obtained by Engadget. The update, codenamed "Zephyr," should bring the crucial addition of an HDMI output, a connector necessary to ensure that later copy-protected HD DVD movies can display at their full resolution on newer HDTV sets. The system will also see its first increase in storage, according to the report: the new model will ship with a 120GB hard drive, there in part to provide additional storage for Microsoft's recently opened Xbox Live movie store. This extra capacity may be optional, the site notes.

While no release date has been given as part of the leak, Microsoft has already confirmed that it will ship refreshed Xbox 360s in mid-2007 using a cooler, 65-nanometer version of the three-core CPU at the heart of the system. Sources suggest that all three improvements may be scheduled to appear simultaneously.:evil:

Glad I waited.

Phin-o-rama
01-06-2007, 11:53 AM
you're gonna get one?? :-O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcACuy4x8nA&eurl=

Motion
01-06-2007, 12:19 PM

:lol: Yeah

Phin-o-rama
01-06-2007, 12:28 PM
grats!

did u get ur ps3 yet?

Motion
01-06-2007, 12:32 PM
grats!

did u get ur ps3 yet?

Not yet, I'm holding out for a few more games to come out first.

Just bought a new TV so I'm pacing myself. :lol:

xDOLPHINSx
01-06-2007, 01:22 PM

what the hell is that movie about?

Motion
01-06-2007, 01:26 PM
what the hell is that movie about?

The new Xbox 360 v2

Phinz420
01-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Just bought a new TV so I'm pacing myself. :lol:

The money I was setting aside to splurge on "next-gen" is now going towards some other toys. Once I make the purchase I will post some shots of it. But here they are from the net.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/01/car15-1.jpg

CAR-15 (Carbine AR-15)

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
Docter Red Dot Sight

The first time I got to look through one of those red dots, I was just astonished. Instinctively(and newbishly) I closed my left eye when I shouldered the rifle. The guy at the gun shop told me to open it...wow. Red Dots are simply amazing. Full peripheral vision, it feels less constricting and very easy to line up multiple shots one after another.

Yes, im off topic and babbling about guns, but .... :drool:

Slappy8800
01-06-2007, 02:19 PM
i could really care less about hd dvds...im not in the mood to be buying a whole new dvd library.

TheMageGandalf
01-06-2007, 03:18 PM
CAR-15 (Carbine AR-15)

I am not that much of a gun guy so I dont know the subtle differences but to me that looks like an M4.

TheMageGandalf
01-06-2007, 03:25 PM
From http://www.electronista.com/

:evil:

Glad I waited.

If I had to gamble, I'd gamble that it comes out around next Holiday season (NOV.-DEC. '07) and not a moment before that.

I hope I am wrong though as I'll problably pick one up as soon as it does come out.

Phin-o-rama
01-06-2007, 03:29 PM
*note to self, do not mess with phinz420 anymore*

Phinz420
01-06-2007, 05:29 PM
I am not that much of a gun guy so I dont know the subtle differences but to me that looks like an M4.

Right, that is because the M4 is also a carbine and when they designed the M4 it was with the same purposes that went in to the carbine AR-15. That purpose is a light weight alternative to the standard M16 that also gives improved grouping for controlled burst fire & automatic suppressing fire.

The beautiful feat that the M4 gives as well as all of that, is its modular system that allows so many attachments that it is mind-boggling.

M4

M4MW(Modular Weapon)
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/01/800pxM4watt-1.jpg

CAR-15

Phinz420
01-06-2007, 05:34 PM
:lol:

Im not a psycho. I just love adrenaline rushes.

Amars
01-06-2007, 10:29 PM

:lol: no kidding

Agent51
01-07-2007, 01:05 PM
This is exactly why, despite owning a 360, I hate MS. It seems like they just wanna release crappy product and have you buy more stuff later. Don't get me wrong, I love the 360 (surprisingly, since I hated the first XBox), but I find it ridiculous that Sony released a more powerful machine with more uses and capabilities and so MS has all of this "after-market" stuff to release for the 360 to try and compete. Just let it be MS, your machine is great in it's own right, but it isn't the same as the ps3, stop trying to make it that way.

The thing that pisses me off is they could have included all of this stuff from the get-go, but they didn't, they released the 2 versions they did, then released all the extras, making it cost even MORE in the longrun than a PS3. Now they are releasing a NEW 360, with HDMI (which should have been supported from day 1) and a 120GB HD, which isn't necessarily needed right now, but is obviously a GREAT improvememnt over the crappy 20GB one. This is all great and everything, but what the hell are the people who have bought a 360 from the launch up until this new versions release supposed to do? Are we basically just screwed and have to spend another $400+ on a system becase MS finally decided to add stuff that should have been there all along (maybe not a 120GB HD, but definately one bigger than the 20GB HD)? That REALLY pisses me off :fire:

Motion
01-07-2007, 01:09 PM
This is exactly why, despite owning a 360, I hate MS. It seems like they just wanna release crappy product and have you buy more stuff later. Don't get me wrong, I love the 360 (surprisingly, since I hated the first XBox), but I find it ridiculous that Sony released a more powerful machine with more uses and capabilities and so MS has all of this "after-market" stuff to release for the 360 to try and compete. Just let it be MS, your machine is great in it's own right, but it isn't the same as the ps3, stop trying to make it that way.

The thing that pisses me off is they could have included all of this stuff from the get-go, but they didn't, they released the 2 versions they did, then released all the extras, making it cost even MORE in the longrun than a PS3. Now they are releasing a NEW 360, with HDMI (which should have been supported from day 1) and a 120GB HD, which isn't necessarily needed right now, but is obviously a GREAT improvememnt over the crappy 20GB one. This is all great and everything, but what the hell are the people who have bought a 360 from the launch up until this new versions release supposed to do? Are we basically just screwed and have to spend another $400+ on a system becase MS finally decided to add stuff that should have been there all along (maybe not a 120GB HD, but definately one bigger than the 20GB HD)? That REALLY pisses me off :fire:

Don't forget the most important new feature, a cooler running processor! :wink:

Phinz420
01-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Don't forget the most important new feature, a cooler running processor! :wink:

"Originally slated for Q1 2007, the 65nm processors for the Xbox 360 are being delayed until mid-2007. This means gamers are going to have to wait a little bit longer to get those Xbox 360 units that aren't quite so hot; it also means prospective buyers may be waiting a bit longer to see a price drop."

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/26/smaller-processors-on-xbox-360-delayed/

Slappy8800
01-07-2007, 03:47 PM

they are giving consumers a choice...which is good business....not everyone needs 120G storage or HD-dvd/blu ray.....as opposed to the PS3 where sony said either you buy this or nothing.

VanDolPhan
01-08-2007, 05:23 AM
This is exactly why, despite owning a 360, I hate MS. It seems like they just wanna release crappy product and have you buy more stuff later. Don't get me wrong, I love the 360 (surprisingly, since I hated the first XBox), but I find it ridiculous that Sony released a more powerful machine with more uses and capabilities and so MS has all of this "after-market" stuff to release for the 360 to try and compete.

See I'm of the reverse opinion. I can't stand Sony for trying to force stuff like Blu-Ray down my throat that I don't need nor want but they want me to pay for. Microsoft is giving a choice here which is always more appreciated and beyond the larger harddrive I don't need nor want any of it. If someone does the key here is they have the 'choice'. About the only thing that interests me is the larger harddrive which can easily be made as an add-on, but even then it's not necessary.

As to anyone 'waiting' or feeling like they got 'gipped' they may want to gain some perspective. Computers are constantly updating/upgrading at a rediculous pace. When you buy a car, 1 year later the model has been improved. How about all the changes that were made to the PS2 as that evolved (example: The original PS2 had a hardware revision that added progressive scan DVD playback that older models couldn't get which is about the equivalent to going to 1080p from 1080i here). As for waiting, I honestly don't see the point either. By the time it comes out I'll have been enjoying mine for 2 years now. Not to mention there will most likely be further revisions as it goes along.

Agent51
01-21-2007, 11:32 AM
See I'm of the reverse opinion. I can't stand Sony for trying to force stuff like Blu-Ray down my throat that I don't need nor want but they want me to pay for. Microsoft is giving a choice here which is always more appreciated and beyond the larger harddrive I don't need nor want any of it. If someone does the key here is they have the 'choice'. About the only thing that interests me is the larger harddrive which can easily be made as an add-on, but even then it's not necessary.

As to anyone 'waiting' or feeling like they got 'gipped' they may want to gain some perspective. Computers are constantly updating/upgrading at a rediculous pace. When you buy a car, 1 year later the model has been improved. How about all the changes that were made to the PS2 as that evolved (example: The original PS2 had a hardware revision that added progressive scan DVD playback that older models couldn't get which is about the equivalent to going to 1080p from 1080i here). As for waiting, I honestly don't see the point either. By the time it comes out I'll have been enjoying mine for 2 years now. Not to mention there will most likely be further revisions as it goes along.

Without writing a HUGE response, I get your point but at the same time, if they wanted to offer people a choice they should have launched this version with the other two, so people who DID want that stuff could have gotten it instead of buying a premium system thinking it was the best then a year later finding out there is an even better version. They could have at least ANNOUNCED the plans for it so people who wanted that version could have held off til it's launch instead of dropping $400+ then having to do it all over again for the features they wanted all along, it just seems liek MS is trying more to top Sony in sales than it is to put out a great product for the customer, because none of this stuff was mentioned for the 360 until the PS3's specs were announced and now suddenly the 360 is coming out with a 3rd version that has an even bigger HD than the PS3 plus HDMI and all that, it's just ridiculous.

Also, as far as computers upgrading all the time, the whole point of a console is to be able to buy a game system that will last you 5+ years and you know everything from the launch titles to the end-of-it's-life titles will play the same on every single one. That is the entire appeal of console gaming, so comparing this move to PC gaming kind of proves my point about how ridiculous a move it is.

FinsNCanes
01-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Upgrades to the 360 don't seem that big of a deal to me. A cooler running processor? That's nice, but I doubt it's gonna affect anything much at all in reality. I personally don't need the HD-DVD because I still can't really tell the difference anyways to be honest. If anything it's not much. I personally also don't need 120g HD. I was laughing at all kinds of posts I've read on other forums of people crying like little girls because of this. As long as I can play my games in HD I could really care less about the other ****.

Also, if you're gonna get this "new" 360 you might as well just get the ps3. If MS was smart they would let you upgrade without having to buy a whole new system. I'm still on the fence of which system to get to be honest. I should just go out and get a PC (Tabula Rasa looks like a cool MMO coming out soon).

FinSinceBirth
01-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Right, that is because the M4 is also a carbine and when they designed the M4 it was with the same purposes that went in to the carbine AR-15. That purpose is a light weight alternative to the standard M16 that also gives improved grouping for controlled burst fire & automatic suppressing fire.

The beautiful feat that the M4 gives as well as all of that, is its modular system that allows so many attachments that it is mind-boggling.

M4
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/RifleM4-wGrip-Small.jpg

M4MW(Modular Weapon)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/M4w-att.jpg/800px-M4w-att.jpg

CAR-15
http://world.guns.ru/assault/xm177.jpg

:eek2:

What are you gonna do with that?

Scatman
01-21-2007, 09:53 PM
The money I was setting aside to splurge on "next-gen" is now going towards some other toys. Once I make the purchase I will post some shots of it. But here they are from the net.

http://gullyborg.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/car15.jpg

CAR-15 (Carbine AR-15)

http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/images/docteroptics/Docteroptics%2055711%20Doctersight%20Red%20Dot.jpg
Docter Red Dot Sight

The first time I got to look through one of those red dots, I was just astonished. Instinctively(and newbishly) I closed my left eye when I shouldered the rifle. The guy at the gun shop told me to open it...wow. Red Dots are simply amazing. Full peripheral vision, it feels less constricting and very easy to line up multiple shots one after another.

Yes, im off topic and babbling about guns, but .... :drool:

at first i thought you where buying a night out with the nice piece of woman...man shes probably been on jerry springer 2-3 times

Phin-o-rama
01-22-2007, 08:07 AM
well for what its worth M$ adamantly denied a new version with hdmi....from what i heard the new processor is being released to lower their manufacturing costs per unit....the 360's run fine now...the launch ones were susceptible(sp?) to overheat, but the layout was tweaked since then.

Agent51
01-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Upgrades to the 360 don't seem that big of a deal to me. A cooler running processor? That's nice, but I doubt it's gonna affect anything much at all in reality. I personally don't need the HD-DVD because I still can't really tell the difference anyways to be honest. If anything it's not much. I personally also don't need 120g HD. I was laughing at all kinds of posts I've read on other forums of people crying like little girls because of this. As long as I can play my games in HD I could really care less about the other ****.

Also, if you're gonna get this "new" 360 you might as well just get the ps3. If MS was smart they would let you upgrade without having to buy a whole new system. I'm still on the fence of which system to get to be honest. I should just go out and get a PC (Tabula Rasa looks like a cool MMO coming out soon).

I agree that they should just release them as add-ons instead of an entire new system, and that is the point I am trying to make. My whole thing isn't necessarily the HD-DVD, I'm leaning towards Blu-Ray support anyway, and if I really decide I want HD-DVD too I'd just get the 360 add-on instead of paying tons for a stand alone player. Where I have the problem is the fact that MS is now releasing a "super" 360 clearly to rival the PS3's specs, and it seems like they are just doing it to top the PS3 instead of doing it because it's what gamers have asked for.

For one, HDMI is something that should have been there from the get-go. I don't care if people say it's overrated or it's the same as component, it isn't. There may not be a huge visual difference but the biggest HDMI selling point for me is one wire instead of 5, it saves so much space and looks a lot cleaner. Not to mention HDMI is becoming a standard, and this system is supposed to be here for the next 6+ years, so why not include that option?

As far as the HD size goes, maybe 120GB is uneccesary, but 20GB was way to small. I had it filled a day after getting it just from DLing all those demos. I tend to keep the fun demos to mess around with them with friends or until I get the game, and they take up a lot of room.

Like I said, the biggest problem in my eyes is the fact that people who bought a 360 already, but who also want a bigger HD and HDMI support, like me, kind of get the shaft because we bought something thinking it was the best option and now, a year later, news comes out that it isn't, and something is being released in the future with all the stuff we wanted in the first place. It would be completely different if the released this version at launch too, giving three options, I wouldn't have as big a problem with that (although I still think releasing multiple versions of a system is dumb) because you'd have all your choices laid out right there. Now you think there's only two options, so you get one, and then a year or so later they announce a THIRD option, THAT is where it gets ridiculous to me. One of the biggest appeals of consoles over PCs is they are garunteed to run all the software from the very first title to the very last title in it's lifespan, and they all run the same, you don't have to constantly upgrade them, but it seems like the 360 is leaning towards the PC route here with two versions already then a 3rd coming later.

Phin-o-rama
01-22-2007, 12:49 PM
hdmi is so much better because its cleaner....i care what the back of my tv looks like...really i do....specially with surround sound wires running everywhere, a dvd player, a satelite box, and a 7.1 receiver....

and like i said M$ denied the reports, so we will wait and see what does happen

Scatman
01-22-2007, 11:45 PM
hdmi is so much better because its cleaner....i care what the back of my tv looks like...really i do....specially with surround sound wires running everywhere, a dvd player, a satelite box, and a 7.1 receiver....

and like i said M$ denied the reports, so we will wait and see what does happen

thry did not deny....they just refused to comment.

FinsNCanes
01-23-2007, 12:37 AM
Who really knows? Only MS and Sony do.

I'm sure for every report saying the card is better on the 360 there is another one saying Sony is better (I guess the people who first looked over it were wrong?) considering what the writer wrote..:confused:

The odd thing though is I read a review comparing the graphics on the ps3 and 360 on NFS : Carbon and the review said the 360 had better lighting but the ps3 had better textures. So..I have no idea.

Agent51
01-24-2007, 11:21 AM

EXACTLY. I like everything to look clean and professional, and one wire does that MUCH better then an entire bundle of wires for "the same" picture quality (I still say, despite the claims of many, that you can notice a difference between HDMI and component cables, albeit not some crazy huge difference).

Phin-o-rama
01-24-2007, 12:27 PM
sheep imo

FinsNCanes
01-24-2007, 02:15 PM
I think Agent and phin need to kiss and make up.

Anyway..phin, have you actually played the ps3 by any chance?

Phin-o-rama
01-24-2007, 03:14 PM
i played motorstorm it was pretty cool....

Motion
01-24-2007, 03:17 PM
i played motorstorm it was pretty cool....

Demo I take it?

What vehicle did you use?

Phin-o-rama
01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
i dunno, i just picked up the controller....i did like how you could swing the cam around with the other stick ....seemed smooth and was the best looking mud ever in a game.

hopefully collin mcrae's dirt will look as cool

Motion
01-24-2007, 03:41 PM
i dunno, i just picked up the controller....i did like how you could swing the cam around with the other stick ....seemed smooth and was the best looking mud ever in a game.

hopefully collin mcrae's dirt will look as cool

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that one as well.

Phin-o-rama
01-24-2007, 04:11 PM
its funny how you're like pacifying me....you take psych classes? :lol:

Motion
01-24-2007, 04:15 PM
its funny how you're like pacifying me....you take psych classes? :lol:

:goof: What are you talking about?

Agent51
01-26-2007, 09:43 AM
I think Agent and phin need to kiss and make up.

Anyway..phin, have you actually played the ps3 by any chance?

We don't need to kiss and make up, I don't have any probs with Phin, just having a debate, lol. He may be driving me nuts with the HDMI/PS3 thing, but it's just an internet message board debate, it doesn't effect anything outside this thread. I'm not gonna go be a jack*** to him in other threads cuz we are having a debate/arguement in this one :D

Mike13
01-26-2007, 09:30 PM

M4
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/RifleM4-wGrip-Small.jpg

M4MW(Modular Weapon)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/M4w-att.jpg/800px-M4w-att.jpg

CAR-15
http://world.guns.ru/assault/xm177.jpg

Overcompensating for something huh?