PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... is the problem really H. Wayne?

Kinzua
01-09-2007, 01:52 PM
For what it's worth ...

Look at the teams left in the playoffs ... Chicago, Philly, NE, Indy, SD, Seattle (I think Baltimore & NO fit here, too, but not sure) all have strong, functional GMs who do the hiring and firing of HCs and work with their HCs in deciding on player acquisitions. Sometimes they have -- uh-- disagreements (ie, A.J. Smith and Marty Schottenheimer over Brees) about players, but they still work together and the owners stay out of the mix.

So, after giving "big name" head coaches Wannstadt and Saban "total control" and watching them trade away draft picks for less than productive veteran players or making questionable draft picks, what is H. Wayne doing? He's chasing after another "big name" coach -- another college coach at that! -- down in Costa Rica while supposed GM Muellar is twiddling his thumbs while waiting to find out if he gets to keep his figure-head job or find another, depending upon the whim of the guy H. Wayne hires. As my late father would of said, "H. Wayne seems to have got it azz-backwards."

With free agency, the salary cap, and the draft only going seven rounds, managing football personnel in the NFL can no longer be a one-man job. A team can't afford many misses. It takes a team of guys who aren't afraid to speak up to get the best talent for any team. It doesn't matter if it's the GM or the HC who's "in charge", but if he isn't willing to listen to the rest of the staff especially when they don't agree with him, the team isn't going to get very far.

When Mike Holmgren was Seattle's GM and HC, it suited his ego, but Seattle languished. It was always "not quite there". Within only a couple years of Holmgren being relieved of GM duties, lo and behold, there's the Seahags in the Super Bowl and maybe going again.

If H. Wayne wants to keep his pinkies busy in the Fins' workings, then he should hire a GM he can work with, and then let that GM hire a HC that he can work with. Maybe the guy's a "big name" coach or maybe not, but NFL football isn't just about putting a "team" on the field any more. It's also about having a "team" in the front office that can put a better "team" on the field.

like2god
01-09-2007, 02:59 PM
I agree with your point about the GM needing more power, but disagree that Wayne has somehow turned into the George Steinbrenner of the 80's and early 90's.

I like the fact that Huizenga wants to win, will do what it takes to win. If that means flying to Costa Rica to do it, so be it. Now, I believe that he is just doing his best to exhaust all possibilties as far as the HC job is concerned. I wouldn't look at the trip to interview Carroll as Wayne's attempt to hire another big name college coach just for the sake of getting a big name. But I like an owner that takes an interest in his team and is willing to make an effort to do what it takes to win.

And you're right, the GM does need to have more power and not just be a figurehead. I'm not sure if Mueller was on any of the flights, I would imagine he would be, but who knows. I honestly think that if the Phins want to do this thing right, they need to look for a GM first and then find a coach. Things haven't worked out the past few years, last year could have been great if the OL played well and they didn't suffer so many key injuries. With that said, there has to be some better decision making from the front office. Culpepper was a no brainer at the time (leg vs shoulder) and Joey was insurance, both were risks but I firmly believe that Culpepper will make Minnesota regret trading him for a 2nd. We'll see how everything shakes out, but I trust the Phins owner to make the best decisions for his team.

DolfanTom
01-09-2007, 03:08 PM
I agree we should probably have a GM - with power - in place, but I think H.W.'s trip down to Costa Rica is simply to explore ALL opportunities available. Pete Carroll is interesting and there are some positives to bringing him back to the NFL now, so I can't fault H.W. for trying there. Not sure what will happen of course there - but I just think H.W. is doing his due dilligence on this one.

Look at all the coaches they have interviewed! I don't think they're leaving anyone out, or rushing to any kind of judgement!

I hope we get a good GM-Coach combo, but if Carroll is hired to be the football czar, then I will trust in H.W. and his team that made the call. Carroll's big complaint before was a lack of personel control so if he gets it, he may be better. He's motivated for sure!

That said, give me a GM and Wiz or Mora, Jr. and I'll be happy!

Mike13
01-09-2007, 08:32 PM
He is just exploring all his options doing what he can to get the best one, I hope he doesn't hire Caroll though. When a coach is choosen I want him to be a coach only, let the GM do his job.

icephinfan
01-09-2007, 08:37 PM
He is just exploring all his options doing what he can to get the best one, I hope he doesn't hire Caroll though. When a coach is choosen I want him to be a coach only, let the GM do his job.

Carroll is not leaving, the news had a released statement from Carroll, last night" I am not leaving USC.":cooldude:

like2god
01-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Carroll is not leaving, the news had a released statement from Carroll, last night" I am not leaving USC.":cooldude:

Saban said that an awful lot too. :mad:

icephinfan
01-09-2007, 08:47 PM

Yeah, I know, but Carroll has it made at USC. He will only come if he gets all control, we already had that in SATAN.

retired opfinistic
01-10-2007, 09:15 AM
:rolleyes: Deja vu all over again.

muscle979
01-10-2007, 11:03 AM
I think this time is different. Wayne and Co. have already interviewed 10 people. What's that 8 more than they did last time?

DolfanTom
01-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah, but I get the feeling Carroll really means it. At least for this season and maybe next.

He's got it absolutely made in L.A. It's like he's the coach of an NFL team there! Plus, they are absolutely loaded for bear next season! I think he'll be back in the NFL someday, just maybe not now.

Maybe when we make another coaching change in two years ... :rolleyes2

(j/k there - I really hope the next one is the right one!)