PDA

View Full Version : New Conan Trailer......WOW!

Phinz420
01-11-2007, 03:38 AM
This video truly shows off what Age of Conan is all about. The video is a pretty decent size, but it is worth the download for sure. I really cannot wait for this game!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=16170&type=wmv&pl=game

All of that is in game footage....simply amazing, especially for a MMO! :eek:

Bruzer
01-11-2007, 08:42 AM
The graphics are nice but I guess I didn't see anything spectacular about it gameplay wise but I will wait for more footage before I make judgement.

zach13
01-11-2007, 08:48 AM
This is going to be awesome.

Enforcerfin33
01-11-2007, 09:24 AM
looks choppy, but lets hope the gameplay is good.

Phinz420
01-11-2007, 12:58 PM
looks choppy, but lets hope the gameplay is good.

Odd, I didnt notice any choppiness.

It is also not even past the initial "developer friends" beta testing stage.

The graphics are nice but I guess I didn't see anything spectacular about it gameplay wise but I will wait for more footage before I make judgement.

There wasnt really a "showoff" of the gameplay in that trailer, they were showing off the "purpose-driven environment", whereas players online will compete in a lot more ways than just simply roaming around looking for opposing players to kill. No other MMO has attempted to emplace a seige warfare system, and with this game not using the tired mechanics of "target X mob and spam click hotkeys untill dead, rinse repeat", I think it is going to be breath of fresh air compared to standard MMOs like WoW & EQ.

There is also a video on gametrailers showing off the initial combat(the singleplayer), but its not very polished yet and its not really exciting to watch a noob with no combos run around killing lvl 1 prison guards. Still, I will take this combat system being closer to mortal kombat than WoW, anyday.

Age of Conan is slated for a May release.

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 01:01 PM
I will be joining this game with some friends. So when the time comes feel free to pm me your server and char name :D

edit: of course it will initially be a trial, but from what I have read the game seems dead on with my desires. Only thing left I need to know if how the questing will be.

Phinz420
01-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I will be joining this game with some friends. So when the time comes feel free to pm me your server and char name :D

edit: of course it will initially be a trial, but from what I have read the game seems dead on with my desires. Only thing left I need to know if how the questing will be.

I will definitely be playing at launch. We'll have to get a FinHeaven clan goin early on and claim us some territory in one of the "Border Cities". One of the cool things about defending your border city castle, is that you have a decent advantage over the attackers(unless they all have high PVP levels) with having full access to the mines, forests, and such to harvest materials that are needed to create upgrades for NPC guards as well as things like catapults.

Using the words of a conan developer, "you wont see any fairy wizards with pointy hats, shooting magical stars and rainbows at the enemy" :lol:

Edit- There is a caster class though, but it has to do with demonology, not basic magic.

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 01:17 PM
I will definitely be playing at launch. We'll have to get a FinHeaven clan goin early on and claim us some territory in one of the "Border Cities". One of the cool things about defending your border city castle, is that you have a decent advantage over the attackers(unless they all have high PVP levels) with having full access to the mines, forests, and such to harvest materials that are needed to create upgrades for NPC guards as well as things like catapults.

Using the words of a conan developer, "you wont see any fairy wizards with pointy hats, shooting magical stars and rainbows at the enemy" :lol:

Are you going to join a high pvp server? Well the clan thus far we are going to build looks to be mostly crafters accept for me and one other friend. But that is kool with me because we can get alot of free stuff that way. A finheaven clan would be dope though. This game thus far looks very dope in game play and style. I am very psyched about it.

edit: I'm more of a tank type of person but since I havent found the class types yet, I'm not sure what I will go exactly. But anything that involves tanking will more then likely be for me, unless the healer class can fight as well as heal in which case I will have to give it a good long look.

edit of the edit: can you link me with the classes and descriptions?

FinsNCanes
01-11-2007, 01:33 PM
This video truly shows off what Age of Conan is all about. The video is a pretty decent size, but it is worth the download for sure. I really cannot wait for this game!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=16170&type=wmv&pl=game

All of that is in game footage....simply amazing, especially for a MMO! :eek:

MERGE! I posted this like 3 days ago and nobody seemed to give a ****.

nOOb

Anyway..let's make sure we all get on the same server. I personally won't be going to a open PvP server untill I grasp the game and see how they decide to implent it. I personally like the videos but some people seem to complain. The thing they don't realize is this game won't be out for atleast 6 months and is still in closed/alpha..one of the two. The combat is kind of boring in the trailers but like 420 said the dude only has 3 swing attacks (you get 6) not to mention combos and other stuff you get to train in.

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 01:35 PM
MERGE! I posted this like 3 days ago and nobody seemed to give a ****.

nOOb
:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

FinsNCanes
01-11-2007, 01:37 PM
:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Guess I'll be killing you first :D

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Guess I'll be killing you first :D

Good luck with all that. :rolleyes:

Phinz420
01-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Are you going to join a high pvp server? Well the clan thus far we are going to build looks to be mostly crafters accept for me and one other friend. But that is kool with me because we can get alot of free stuff that way. A finheaven clan would be dope though. This game thus far looks very dope in game play and style. I am very psyched about it.

edit: I'm more of a tank type of person but since I havent found the class types yet, I'm not sure what I will go exactly. But anything that involves tanking will more then likely be for me, unless the healer class can fight as well as heal in which case I will have to give it a good long look.

edit of the edit: can you link me with the classes and descriptions?

Every server in Age of Conan will be a "pvp" server from what I understand. There will be battles over border cities between guilds on all servers.

Here is a link for the classes. The page shows each of the regular classes, when you click on one it will show you the archetypes available for each class.

http://www.ageofconan.com/conan/common/classList/classList.html

Phinz420
01-11-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm somewhat torn between Necromancer, Demonologist, and Ranger. Some of the Soldiers look good too though, I think the group healing soldier classes of Zealot & Dark Templar look to be quite useful as well.

The big draw of the Ranger class for me, is the utilization of a FPS attack style. It will actually take skill from people who play rangers instead of just auto target, spam click hotbar, dead enemy.

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 01:52 PM
master thief or dark templar I think are for me. I played a spy in swg so master thief seems like it is in that direction. Dark templar is tank though so decisions decision. Master thief seems dead on for me though.

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm somewhat torn between Necromancer, Demonologist, and Ranger. Some of the Soldiers look good too though, I think the group healing soldier classes of Zealot & Dark Templar look to be quite useful as well.

The big draw of the Ranger class for me, is the utilization of a FPS attack style. It will actually take skill from people who play rangers instead of just auto target, spam click hotbar, dead enemy.

Go halberdier so we can aoe :D

Phinz420
01-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Go halberdier so we can aoe :D

Stormcaller Specialties : Healer, Electrical Damage, Summons Storms and Hurricanes.

Hmmmmm :D

zach13
01-11-2007, 02:07 PM

Edit- There is a caster class though, but it has to do with demonology, not basic magic.

Count me in.

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Stormcaller Specialties : Healer, Electrical Damage, Summons Storms and Hurricanes.

Hmmmmm :D

Yes, Yes virginia there is a santa claus. :)

The assassin classes look pretty dope as well. finsncane what are you looking at going as?

mor911
01-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Anyone not impressed? I didn't see anything "wow" about it... Not "wow" like World of Warcraft, but "wow" like impressive.

Majpain
01-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Anyone not impressed? I didn't see anything "wow" about it... Not "wow" like World of Warcraft, but "wow" like impressive.

The Graphics and animations really aren't impressive. Not a whole alot of Gore too : /

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Count me in.

:hi5:

FinsNCanes
01-11-2007, 02:32 PM

If you can shoot people in an FPS I can't imagine it being that hard in an MMO. They don't exactly run that fast ;)

I love how the arrows actually stick into people though.

FinsNCanes
01-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Yes, Yes virginia there is a santa claus. :)

The assassin classes look pretty dope as well. finsncane what are you looking at going as?

I think archer of some sorts. I just hate having to carry arrows..

If not archer some big tank mother****er.

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm more excited about the gameplay and not so much the graphics. Graphics doth not a good game make. The gameplay, ability to customize, etc remind me of SWG of old, so I am very much into this game right now.

edit:It says they are going to make it so the thieves can pickpocket and steal things. That alone makes it playable haha.

FinsNCanes
01-11-2007, 02:34 PM
The Graphics and animations really aren't impressive. Not a whole alot of Gore too : /

The graphics are some of the best currently coming out for any MMO. They'll be running it off Vista and DX10 (can still use 9). You can't really judge the animations because it's a low level char on /god mode.

I know it's better then anything coming out. LOTR, Vanguard, WAR will be good but that's not for another year atleast.

FinsNCanes
01-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Here is another good video that is a little bit older.

Shows good horse animations, some combos and finishing moves as well as a city burning to the ground (sieges).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSEyLkRn6oA

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 02:39 PM
I take it there are no mounts in this game?

FinsNCanes
01-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I take it there are no mounts in this game?

How did you manage to come up with that considering the 2 videos that are shown? Of course there are mounts as well as mounted combat. You actually step up on your horse instead of it appearing under your ***.

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 02:49 PM
How did you manage to come up with that considering the 2 videos that are shown? Of course there are mounts as well as mounted combat. You actually step up on your horse instead of it appearing under your ***.

Dude calm down. I forgot about the mounted combat haha and I cant watch the videos I am at work.

FinsNCanes
01-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Dude calm down. I forgot about the mounted combat haha and I cant watch the videos I am at work.

I'm calm..:confused:

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm calm..:confused:
You are so out of the clan. :tongue:

Majpain
01-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Wait are you guys getting it for the 360 or PC?

Dol-Fan Dupree
01-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Looks good.

Phinz420
01-11-2007, 05:40 PM

Maybe Im just too old school(started with MMOs in 99) to ignore appreciating full on seige warfare with an actual objective for PVPing in a MMO game like guilds fighting over castles.

The graphics itself are better than Vanguard(im in beta) and makes WoW look like a joke, which EQ2 was not able to do. It lacked artistic qualities.

I really cant understand how anyone can look at a game that isnt even passed developer friend beta stage, and bash it for lacking animation quality. Especially when there are alot bigger things going on for pvp than some battlegrounds instancing.

And Mor, I gurantee if you read into some of the features of this game, you will better understand why anyone who has ever played a MMO before would be impressed by what they are doing.

We still havnt seen any high level combat in AoC though, and I think that is where most of the depth will come into play with more attacks & combos. There are also specific PVP combos you can only learn from getting kills and leveling up in PVP.

Edit - I also want to add that I think WoW and EQ2 are doing a disservice to its own genre by not helping it moving it forward. Blizzard and Sony would rather rehash and box up the same old stuff, because they know people will buy it anyways. I cant even begin to explain how bored I was of the pvp servers in WoW and EQ2. The raiding in both of those games arent even up to par with the raids that are in EQ1, and that is just plain depressing. Now that there will be actual gameplay designed around race pvp, and giving us interactive things like catapults to assist us, I think this could be a MMO that finally doesnt get so boring.

Phin-o-rama
01-11-2007, 05:52 PM
eq2 blew WoW's graphics AWAY.......WoW has never had 'good' graphics...cartoony and able to be ran on almost any machine....(on purpose).

Age of conan talks a good game...we will see how they fare....if they pull it off? sweet! but im not that confident that they will.

WoW just hit 8 million subscribers...they must be doing something right....and i've play many mmo's...

Phinz420
01-11-2007, 05:59 PM
eq2 blew WoW's graphics AWAY.......WoW has never had 'good' graphics...cartoony and able to be ran on almost any machine....(on purpose).

Age of conan talks a good game...we will see how they fare....if they pull it off? sweet! but im not that confident that they will.

WoW just hit 8 million subscribers...they must be doing something right....and i've play many mmo's...

Actually EQ2's graphics are meager if you take artistic quality into consideration. They have ramped up textures, and decent animations- but what I did appreciate from WoW was their use of low-intensive textures that still managed to look great(and on many PCs, not just the high end).

The reason I stopped playing both EQ2 and WoW was that I played on PVP servers, and there just wasn't any fun in logging in for random pvp with no purpose, or in WoW's case - logging in for instance pvp. I liked Battlegrounds alot at first, but it was downhill from there- very repetitive.

PVP is a central focus of this game, and not in the way that Guild Wars is...this is a real MMO.

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 06:00 PM

Its warcraft not like they didn't already have a huge fan base. Best graphics in online rpgs right now are lineage 2 IMO.

Phinz420
01-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Its warcraft not like they didn't already have a huge fan base. Best graphics in online rpgs right now are lineage 2 IMO.

I'll take some screen shots from my Vanguard beta account. They are far beyond L2.

FinsNCanes
01-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Tell ya what..

Shadowbane would have been around a hell of alot longer if they had a decent backing instead of Wolfpack which was an independant compnay and it would of helped if they had more then a bed room full of programmers. SB died because lack of funding and in return they couldn't fix bugs till it was way too late. My point is AOC will be simliar to SB but has plenty of backing with Microsoft (Vista) and Funcom (Anarchy Online). The 360 is supposed to be released bout a year after PC. It will be cross-platform.

unluckyluciano
01-11-2007, 06:46 PM
I'll take some screen shots from my Vanguard beta account. They are far beyond L2.

Blasphemy!

Meh your probaly right.

Phinz420
01-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Blasphemy!

Meh your probaly right.

Lol, not like it matters - Vanguard is anything but a perfect MMO as of now. It has so much work that needs to be done before its launched, and they may push it out too early, and still without many features that were promised. Things like mounted combat & ship vs ship combat were supposed to be intrigal parts of this game from the get go, now Im hearing "first expansion".

Phinz420
01-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Funcom has messed with the Classes today. Here is the new list, a couple classes have been merged because they were too similar.
No Abilities have been removed, everything that was in the game before is still in, they are just under different classes.

Priest -
Druid of the Storm(Heals, Electric DD, Summons storms + hurricanes, Polearms)
Priest of Mitra(Heals, Repulse AE)
Scion of Set(Heals, Poison spells, Daggers)
Bear Shaman(Heals, Group Resistance + Defensive Buffs)

Soldier-
Guardian(Full Plate, Directional Attacks, Mitigation Debuffs)
Conqueror(Can Dual Wield Highly Effective as well as 2H, Group Buffs)
Dark Templar(Life Drains-Only non priest that can heal)

Rogue-
Barbarian(Highly Effective Dual Wield/2H,Snare,Blind,Debuffs, Thief)
Ranger(Bow + Crossbow, Volley Attacks, Sniper Attacks, Knockdowns)
Assassin(Dual Weild Daggers, use of various poisons and remedies, Thief)

Mage-
Demonologist(Fire + Electric, Demon pet, spell haste buffs)
Necromancer(Cold + Holy, multiple undead pets, lifetaps)
Lich(Demon form, Summons weapons)

FinsNCanes
01-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Seems to work better and gives people more options.

I'm hoping for some PvE aspects of the game next week hopefully. I love PvP but there is gonna have to be some big raids and stuff to do to keep people interested. I hope not everyone is human either..that could be kind of boring (NPCS).

Phinz420
01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Seems to work better and gives people more options.

I'm hoping for some PvE aspects of the game next week hopefully. I love PvP but there is gonna have to be some big raids and stuff to do to keep people interested. I hope not everyone is human either..that could be kind of boring (NPCS).

You should read the FAQ at conan's website when you have some spare time. There is going to be a lot of PVE material in AOC. One example would be player built cities(not the castles guilds fight over). Any guild can construct their own cities, but in time there are NPC armys who will come out and raid your cities. They don't just spawn from anywhere though, they will set up a camp just outside the player cities, that will allow guilds to set a counter-attack once they have pushed back the initial invaders. There are many rewards from things like this, from looting the NPCs killed to scavenging their camp once it is destroyed. There are also NPCs who will fight with your guild, and their abilities + equipment will depend on what kind of resources your guild has gathered.

Then there will also be the standard "raiding", where guilds can team up to take down bosses and such. I have read that there will be "some" solo content, but most of the game wll be designed for players to work together in groups and guilds.

There hasnt been complete info released on the Prestige Classes yet. I know one of them is called "Commander", and he will be able to command squads of NPCs, as well as issue orders to player groups giving them battle formations to fight in(if the players listen) which will give big bonuses to combat for everyone.

People at the AOC forums have been asking for a while for more complete info on the prestige classes, but i would imagine they are still working out balancing issues in their early closed beta.

unluckyluciano
01-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Can the dark templar heal himself or just his group? I understood it as he can heal only the group for some reason. For the ranger define sniper attack.

Phinz420
01-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Can the dark templar heal himself or just his group? I understood it as he can heal only the group for some reason. For the ranger define sniper attack.

With "group heals", it heals everyone in the group including the caster.

Sniper attack just means it will be an ability that allows the ranger to zoom in far for his attack dealing very heavy damage. Remember Rangers will be forced to play in a FPS style combat system where your aim is what counts, not your stats in dexterity.

(Stats will play a role, just not in the standard way they are handled in other MMOs)

unluckyluciano
01-15-2007, 03:45 PM
With "group heals", it heals everyone in the group including the caster.

Sniper attack just means it will be an ability that allows the ranger to zoom in far for his attack dealing very heavy damage. Remember Rangers will be forced to play in a FPS style combat system where your aim is what counts, not your stats in dexterity.

(Stats will play a role, just not in the standard way they are handled in other MMOs)

Oh ok got ya. I got thrown off by the group heal thing because it said the Dark Templar will pay a heavy price. I wasn't to sure what it meant by that.

Phinz420
01-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh ok got ya. I got thrown off by the group heal thing because it said the Dark Templar will pay a heavy price. I wasn't to sure what it meant by that.

That has to be referring to the "soul corruption" system.

This is when you interact with nasty artefacts, overreach on your weaves or do bad things in quests. Doing this will change the way you cast your spells, and their effects. For some this is really bad, for others it is a tempting drug.If you are a Herald of Xoti you will perhaps benefit some, but become too corrupted, and I promise you - literally, you will go straight to hell!

unluckyluciano
01-15-2007, 03:59 PM
That has to be referring to the "soul corruption" system.
Aww ok.

edit: Time to start thinking of a guild name? :rolleyes2

zach13
01-15-2007, 05:06 PM

Dark Templar sounds pretty cool to me.

unluckyluciano
01-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Dark Templar sounds pretty cool to me.

I'm a tank in L2. I can tell you I really enjoy tanking for parties, although its not useful outside of parties. I'll either go Dark Templar or assassin, it seems to me.A healer class that can fight I can tell you is also fun to use.

zach13
01-15-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm a tank in L2. I can tell you I really enjoy tanking for parties, although its not useful outside of parties. I'll either go Dark Templar or assassin, it seems to me.A healer class that can fight I can tell you is also fun to use.

I always like the ability to heal in games. I hate having to seek out someone or something else in order to heal. Also, I always prefer melee to magic.

Nothing like slashing someones arm off with a sword.

Phin-o-rama
01-15-2007, 05:56 PM
^^ paladin at heart

unluckyluciano
01-15-2007, 06:01 PM
^^ paladin at heart

:hi5:

FinsNCanes
01-15-2007, 06:13 PM
I've read some **** lately I'm not pleased with unless I'm reading it wrong. It says player cities will be instanced along with things like dungeons and stuff.

If it's anything like WoW instances it's gonna be gay. I don't like the fact of player cities being instanced. Does this mean when you are walking around in the norm you won't see these cities unless you "enter" them. I'm confused on the whole instancing part.

Phinz420
01-15-2007, 06:44 PM
I've read some **** lately I'm not pleased with unless I'm reading it wrong. It says player cities will be instanced along with things like dungeons and stuff.

If it's anything like WoW instances it's gonna be gay. I don't like the fact of player cities being instanced. Does this mean when you are walking around in the norm you won't see these cities unless you "enter" them. I'm confused on the whole instancing part.

I was worried at first too, but they have stated that the player cities will not be in their own instances. It will be about a half dozen to a dozen player cities per instance. Which to me, doesnt sound nearly as bad.

Don't worry about dungeons being instanced. This allows for far greater dynamic content than a world zone dungeon.

FinsNCanes
01-15-2007, 07:29 PM
That's not so bad..

Well, seeing as you obvoiusly know more detail then me what's the take on dodge/parry animations? I haven't seen any (maybe I have once or twice) but I notice people on the forums bitching like they won't have any and all you will do is sit there and swing with the sword going through your body (although I know there isn't collision detection). I'm not to sure any MMO has collision detection unless you parry or something.

Phinz420
01-15-2007, 09:29 PM
what's the take on dodge/parry animations? I haven't seen any (maybe I have once or twice) but I notice people on the forums bitching like they won't have any and all you will do is sit there and swing with the sword going through your body (although I know there isn't collision detection). I'm not to sure any MMO has collision detection unless you parry or something.

There is dodge/parry animations, I have seen them in one of the combat videos. Technically there is a "collision" system because players react when hit, and you can see them dodge/duck attacks at times. From the early stuff that I have seen though, it definitely is not completely polished.

Oddly enough, even though AoC is going to make or break on its combat system, its the thing we know least about. Hopefully that will change in the coming weeks, and maybe they can show us some 1 vs 1 pvp to get a better idea of how things will be.

FinsNCanes
01-15-2007, 10:10 PM
This is the only video I've seen blocking animations (beta player footage of some PvP) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEndk3fElu4

Camera is kind of ****ty but you can see some blocking..although I could of sworn I saw dodging in the CES trailer.

They probably don't want to release anything on the combat untill it's concrete imo. I hate it when people release **** then it doesn't end up in game or they change it 2 months down the road. Although I'm not sure what else there is to know at this point. We know you get up to 6 point swings, we know you get to link moves into combos and fatalties.

Phinz420
01-16-2007, 12:58 AM
This is the only video I've seen blocking animations (beta player footage of some PvP) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEndk3fElu4

Camera is kind of ****ty but you can see some blocking..although I could of sworn I saw dodging in the CES trailer.

They probably don't want to release anything on the combat untill it's concrete imo. I hate it when people release **** then it doesn't end up in game or they change it 2 months down the road. Although I'm not sure what else there is to know at this point. We know you get up to 6 point swings, we know you get to link moves into combos and fatalties.

It wasn't the CES trailer, but the video which has a guy dodging & ducking to avoid swings was shown at CES. Fileplanet has it listed as the DX10 CES video if you are looking for it, and it shows some dodging at around 1:20 or so. It was the video which had a GM on god mode running around slaughtering things with 2-3 different swings.

We know plenty about the basics of the combat system, but things like formations, high end combos, spellweaving & such havn't been given a lot of lime light. We still don't know what exactly is going on with the Prestige classes either.

FinsNCanes
01-16-2007, 01:14 AM
I don't know if you read the forums over there but some people have some really high expectations about this game. I'm talking about things like physical wounds when you hit someone, if you hit someone in the leg they'll kneel down, if you hit someone in the arm and they don't have armor there it should hit more. Just some crazy **** that isn't expected from an MMO I would think for a good 10 years probably. I mean people are are saying it should be like God of War combat and the hair should flow when you run and all kinds of bull****.

Phinz420
01-16-2007, 02:15 AM
I don't know if you read the forums over there but some people have some really high expectations about this game. I'm talking about things like physical wounds when you hit someone, if you hit someone in the leg they'll kneel down, if you hit someone in the arm and they don't have armor there it should hit more. Just some crazy **** that isn't expected from an MMO I would think for a good 10 years probably. I mean people are are saying it should be like God of War combat and the hair should flow when you run and all kinds of bull****.

Haha, I was reading that same thread.

There is always people who are expecting way too much out of games pre-release. Im excited enough over the graphics & large scale seige battles & finally getting away from auto target clickfests.

I dont see how anyone could think that full scale physics with everything in the world is feasible when you take into account these massive battles. There is a collision system for players, and that is going to be taxing enough when theres a ton of players on screen battling it out in close proximity(with the kind of graphics AoC has..)

Some people must be new to MMOs or just love to dream of the perfect game. How can anyone expect the world to behave exactly like(or better than) Oblivion in a MMO? That is by far the most physically detailed single player RPG out there, and people expect a MMO to surpass it? :lol:

Scatman
01-16-2007, 04:20 AM
man i think im one of the only ones not impressed by this game...ill stick to wow

Phinz420
01-16-2007, 05:11 AM
man i think im one of the only ones not impressed by this game...ill stick to wow

world of borecraft?

:tongue:

Seriously though, Ive been playing MMOs for too long to be impressed by anything WoW does. None of it is unique, and none of it does a thing to move the genre in the right direction. It is simply a MMO for the masses, with no real purpose. I understand a lot of people enjoy it, but it is just not for me.

FinsNCanes
01-16-2007, 03:40 PM

What don't you like? I mean the first things of the top of my head are the graphics/combat are 10x better then anything come out. It's hard to really judge it though considering it's alpha footage and there aren't showing us much.

Your Naxx raid is waiting sir ;)

Although I've noticed most people that started out on WoW as their first MMO thing it's the greatest thing ever. Not saying you did/do..but..it's just from talking to people.

Mainge
01-16-2007, 05:43 PM
What don't you like? I mean the first things of the top of my head are the graphics/combat are 10x better then anything come out. It's hard to really judge it though considering it's alpha footage and there aren't showing us much.

Your Naxx raid is waiting sir ;)

Although I've noticed most people that started out on WoW as their first MMO thing it's the greatest thing ever. Not saying you did/do..but..it's just from talking to people.

Oh yeah? My first MMO was Runescape. I was convinced for YEARS it was THE best. :lol:

zach13
01-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Oh yeah? My first MMO was Runescape. I was convinced for YEARS it was THE best. :lol:

My first was Asherons Call in 1999

FinsNCanes
01-16-2007, 09:06 PM
None of it holds a candle to UO and it's orginality.

Although if Funcom doesn't **** up Conan could have me hooked for a while.

Phinz420
01-16-2007, 09:35 PM
None of it holds a candle to UO and it's orginality.

Although if Funcom doesn't **** up Conan could have me hooked for a while.

UO may have laid the works in some technological aspects, but it just is not in the same field as the MMOs that started with EQ1 in 98. Not disrespecting UO at all, what Im tryin to say is that just after UO with EQ1, it kind of started the whole MMORPG mold that we still see used today.

FinsNCanes
01-16-2007, 11:36 PM
UO may have laid the works in some technological aspects, but it just is not in the same field as the MMOs that started with EQ1 in 98. Not disrespecting UO at all, what Im tryin to say is that just after UO with EQ1, it kind of started the whole MMORPG mold that we still see used today.

EQ just added 3d graphics and grinding. That's what you see in todays MMO. If you'd like to thank EQ for that then go ahead ;)

UO actually had PvP balance, perfect character housing, unique crafting (believe it or not actually useful as well), unique skills in general (who chops wood anymore to make arrows for themselves?), unique character customization (all the clothing and dyes and hair colors).

I miss it :(

Phinz420
01-16-2007, 11:52 PM
EQ just added 3d graphics and grinding. That's what you see in todays MMO. If you'd like to thank EQ for that then go ahead ;)

UO actually had PvP balance, perfect character housing, unique crafting (believe it or not actually useful as well), unique skills in general (who chops wood anymore to make arrows for themselves?), unique character customization (all the clothing and dyes and hair colors).

I miss it :(

Thats what I give UO most of its due credit for, it really had PVP down right. EQ didnt offer much for PVP except as an afterthought. It did excell in group & raid content like no other though.

Games like Ultima Online and Meridian 59 definitely deserve their props. But I was referring to the standard "mold" of mmorpgs that are still being used.

If EQ is the father of DAOC, WoW, etc - I would say that UO is the uncle :tongue:

FinsNCanes
01-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Thats what I give UO most of its due credit for, it really had PVP down right. EQ didnt offer much for PVP except as an afterthought. It did excell in group & raid content like no other though.

Games like Ultima Online and Meridian 59 definitely deserve their props. But I was referring to the standard "mold" of mmorpgs that are still being used.

If EQ is the father of DAOC, WoW, etc - I would say that UO is the uncle :tongue:

You can't..

UO (up untill they ****ed it up) was a complete 180 to what the MMO are today. Oh well..

Hopefully Conan turns out well. I "heard" supposedly a Dev said they have had 400 people in one area of fighting with minimal lag *crosses fingers*. We'll see..

Phinz420
01-17-2007, 01:43 AM
Hopefully Conan turns out well. I "heard" supposedly a Dev said they have had 400 people in one area of fighting with minimal lag *crosses fingers*. We'll see..

Thats insane.

Imagine 400 players with seige towers and catapults, defending your guild's keep from invaders who want to pillage it for resources. :lol:

Finally a game that gives you more to do than roaming around looking for random kills. Now if they can give us all of that and a great PVE system, this game could have a lot of replay value. For me, EQ2, WoW, and Instance Wars...er I mean Guild Wars all lacked replay value after playing for months.

FinsNCanes
01-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Thats insane.

Imagine 400 players with seige towers and catapults, defending your guild's keep from invaders who want to pillage it for resources. :lol:

Finally a game that gives you more to do than roaming around looking for random kills. Now if they can give us all of that and a great PVE system, this game could have a lot of replay value. For me, EQ2, WoW, and Instance Wars...er I mean Guild Wars all lacked replay value after playing for months.

Supposedly there is 50 dungeons come release. To me that sounds like alot to be honest. I'll be honest though once I level my character up I usually don't touch PvE unless I have to (Maintaining city and gold, etc) would be the only reason I'd bother in this game. Unless you can get some really cool cosmetic items instead of uber gear which I'm hoping for considering they said the game won't revole around gear ala WoW.

I'm not sure if you heard and really not sure how this works but they said if there is a siege going on (200 people let's say) the server will focus more on that then on someone roaming in the jungle by themselves. They explained it that basically it would cause minimal lag on the siege but the player in the jungle might lag a little due to server concentrating on the siege. Which really isn't that bad considering sieges aren't going to be going on ALL the time, probably more like a few times a week.

FinsNCanes
01-18-2007, 12:40 AM
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/743/743392/vid_1788766.html

Fly-by showing off a city, jungle, boats.

No music though.

Phinz420
01-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Some Details

Camp gameplay. Players can interact with the environment in different ways – one of them is to poison the water so NPCs become weakened when they drink. Another is distraction. NPC guards can be drawn off by firing an arrow or throwing a rock to create a disturbance.

“All NPCs have a radius of hearing and sight, and that will change depending on whether it is day or night. How much light there is to see by, how much ambient sound there is to disguise your movement.”

There are about 10 – 12,000 sound effects and about 4 CDs worth of music written just for the game.”

We touched on some unique class skills, such as the ability for Thieves to climb and pickpockets (only NPCs). Spellweaving is another unique ability – that of combining spells together before unleashing them.

“Oh by the way… if you draw too much dark magic, you could end up in hell, tormented by demons.” Ut-oh… now that that’s said, every spell caster is going to want to do it once just to see hell, and fight their way out of it.

....there will be mounted combat – where the way you ride counts – i.e. more damage if you are charging than if you walk up and poke someone with a spear.

Being set in the brutal, barbarian world of Hyboria, PvP is part of the game. Funcom plans to have Free For All PvP servers as well as regular PvE servers where there will be regions that PvP is active.( as well as Guild vs Guild/Drunken Brawling)

Three forms of PvP will be available. The one that is most accessible and could prove to be a lot of fun is Drunken PvP, or Drunken Brawling. With a cool twist – the type and amount of alcohol you consume affects your skills. Some skills may go up, others (such as the ability to actually hit your target) may go down. What sounds like it’s going to be really fun is that levels & equipment will not matter here, just the weapon you are wielding, how well you hit (it’s Real Combat afterall) and how well you hold your booze!

The Mini-Game is your basic arena type games such as King of the Hill and FFA. Players wanting to participate will be matched up by the in-game match-making engine – not only that, the PvP-leveling system divides the 80 levels into 4 PvP tiers, and players will be auto-leveled up to the max level of that tier during the PvP fight to keep the contest challenging.

Finally, there is massive PvP or siege PvP. An end-game type for guilds to battle for the control of keeps in the Border Kingdoms. Siege engines, mounted combat… calvary charges. Woot! All PVP will give you PvP standing that Funcom aims to track on their website.

Funcom showed off the game play in full DX10. “A world first!” Jorgen was proud to proclaim. Already rich in colors and detail in DX9, the game looks wonderful in DX10. Gamers need not worry that they have to have Windows Vista as well as Vista capable machines to play Age of Conan when it launches though. Age of Conan will ship using DX9 with the graphics upgrade to DX10 available later in the game.

What about beta applications? “Soon… soon…” was the response.

FinsNCanes
01-23-2007, 10:52 PM
I read this like a week ago.

I think there is a new video floating around out there though. I tried to DL it but it said it was at max capacity.

FinsNCanes
01-23-2007, 11:08 PM
http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/ageofconan/conan_dx10_tease_720p.wmv.html

Here it is..

Maybe it's me but the video seems really dark, otherwise it's cool but short.

Amazing graphics. Hopefully it scales well..

Phinz420
01-23-2007, 11:12 PM
I read this like a week ago.

I think there is a new video floating around out there though. I tried to DL it but it said it was at max capacity.

Havnt found anything but heres what i did find..

NVIDIA Video from 2 weeks ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSEyLkRn6oA)

Old Alpha Video, but still good(just turn your sound down...) (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2911476225157098187&q=conan&hl=en)

Best Conan Video Ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtNDloDWAs8)

I wouldn't of had to post that old info if you would have done it first :tongue:

Phinz420
01-23-2007, 11:14 PM
http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/ageofconan/conan_dx10_tease_720p.wmv.html

Here it is..

Maybe it's me but the video seems really dark, otherwise it's cool but short.

Amazing graphics. Hopefully it scales well..

Ah thanks

Phinz420
01-23-2007, 11:24 PM
That was a great looking video there - almost looks like a 8800 it was taken on. Im actually thinking of waiting a bit longer for a DX10 card and just spend a quick $100 to get SLI 7800 GT. Not sure yet.

FinsNCanes
01-23-2007, 11:33 PM
That was a great looking video there - almost looks like a 8800 it was taken on. Im actually thinking of waiting a bit longer for a DX10 card and just spend a quick $100 to get SLI 7800 GT. Not sure yet.

I personally don't need it to look THAT good. I'm gonna wait for the dx10 stuff and possibly Vista. Although by the time the game is released Vista should have it's bugs worked out, but not sure about the dx10 card yet. I might wait for the prices to drop a little.

I'm just worried about the lag in sieges and ****. They said the graphics are going to scale and the server will concentrate on more populated areas to cut down on lag instead of the few people running around in the jungle.

unluckyluciano
01-24-2007, 12:55 PM
I personally don't need it to look THAT good. I'm gonna wait for the dx10 stuff and possibly Vista. Although by the time the game is released Vista should have it's bugs worked out, but not sure about the dx10 card yet. I might wait for the prices to drop a little.

I'm just worried about the lag in sieges and ****. They said the graphics are going to scale and the server will concentrate on more populated areas to cut down on lag instead of the few people running around in the jungle.
So you'll start playing in the year 2020?

FinsNCanes
01-24-2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/01/gamesforwindowsscreenshots20070124041504-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/01/gamesforwindowsscreenshots20070124041513-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/01/gamesforwindowsscreenshots20070124041451-1.jpg

FinsNCanes
01-24-2007, 06:02 PM
^^ New screens above.

Here is a new video showing some of the same stuff pretty much.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/richard-blakeley/clip-new-age-of-conan-walkthrough-231176.php

Gotta love the character creation and detail. I wanna play :boohoo:

FinsNCanes
01-25-2007, 02:37 PM
****!!!

Hopefully it's a blessing in disguise. Don't plan on playing anytime soon though.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=17477

I almost feel tempted to go play WoW now till I wait.

unluckyluciano
01-25-2007, 04:07 PM
****!!!

Hopefully it's a blessing in disguise. Don't plan on playing anytime soon though.

Nice screen shots. Looks good.

Phinz420
01-25-2007, 09:30 PM
****!!!

WoW was just too basic for my tastes. I tried to give it a chance for a couple months, but I went ahead and ordered Vanguard last night. It should hold me over until AoC is out.

It sucks to wait longer, but its for the better of the game.

zach13
01-26-2007, 10:34 AM
WoW was just too basic for my tastes. I tried to give it a chance for a couple months, but I went ahead and ordered Vanguard last night. It should hold me over until AoC is out.

It sucks to wait longer, but its for the better of the game.

Damn! October 30th!

I am planning on getting the new Alienware M5790 notebook that they were showing off at the convention.

I will wait a few months after launch.