PDA

View Full Version : David Beckham to sign with MLS L.A. Galaxy

DeathStar
01-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Former England captain David Beckham will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and sign a five-year deal for MLS side Los Angeles Galaxy, he told Reuters on Thursday.

The 31-year-old, who joined Real from Manchester United in June 2003, is the most famous player to sign up for Major League Soccer since it began in 1996.

The deal is reported to be one of the biggest in global sport with Beckham set to earn more than $250 million over the duration of his contract.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=399465&cc=3888

BigDogsHunt
01-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Why would he come to US??? It has to be unrelated to soccer. Movie/TV career? Recording career?

Why MLS if those are not ulterior motives?

TotoreMexico
01-11-2007, 12:06 PM
No way!:eek:

t2thejz
01-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Why would he come to US??? It has to be unrelated to soccer. Movie/TV career? Recording career?

Maybe the 250 million he is getting

phinman1
01-11-2007, 12:24 PM
$250 million? I can't believe that. Anyway, after this ploy fails to make Americans care about soccer, perhaps the powers that be will finally give up.

Mindwarp
01-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Maybe the 250 million he is getting

:yes:

this is huge for American Soccer and the MLS I don't think they could have got a better person who is a "sexy name" to Americans.

a Butload of people know who Beckham is even if they don't follow futbol.

Mindwarp
01-11-2007, 12:35 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/grant_wahl/01/11/beckham/index.html

• Beckham may not be the only star coming to MLS. Now that Beckham has decided to make the move, his stamp of approval for the league will make it much easier for other international stars to come on board. MLS's newly installed designated-player rule -- the so-called Beckham rule -- allows each team to pay an unlimited salary to one player. DP slots are tradeable, and the New York Red Bulls now have two of them. In other words, look for Bruce Arena's Red Bulls (and perhaps a few others) to create some major buzz of their own with a big-name signing or two: Ronaldo, the all-time leading goal scorer in World Cup history and Beckham's current teammate at Real Madrid, has long been rumored as a target.

ILPhinFan88
01-11-2007, 12:36 PM
My daughter will be thrilled, she has been bugging me to take her to a Chicago game. Once she hears Beckham is in the MLS I wont be able to put her off anymore. Dont know who thier scheduling goes but hopefully he'll play agianst Chicago or Kansas City.

COMEBACKRICKY
01-11-2007, 12:37 PM
250 million in the mls?? the MLS? as in major league soccer?? for beckham? i think they are trying to get more world class players to make the jump... it dindt work with pele however...

ckb2001
01-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Great news. Well, at least it's not my money that's being spent on it. The NASL went down because of too many moves like this, but who knows, maybe they can pull it off this time.

Oh, and yes, if this doesn't help US soccer become more mainstream, it's time the owners learn from it. But, I at least hope differently. (soccer has got to be able to at least beat out hockey or??)

Roman529
01-11-2007, 01:59 PM

Because his Spice Girl wife is supposed to be one of Katie Holmes' (Tom Cruises' wife) best friends. They want to live the LA lifestyle.

BigDogsHunt
01-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Because his Spice Girl wife is supposed to be one of Katie Holmes' (Tom Cruises' wife) best friends. They want to live the LA lifestyle.

Well thats unrelated to soccer and MLS. I hear about the $250M but still....its MLS!

Plus, you think the wife and kids are packing up and coming state side?

Did the family come with him to Spain?

tucker
01-11-2007, 02:50 PM
who?

ya exactly

Quelonio
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Beckham is washed up, not playing in Real Madrid, no longer a part of the England team, and now he has a chance of making 250 million and being a big fish in a small pond... that is why he is making the move.

Which makes sense also in marketing for MLS.

Quelonio
01-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Plus, you think the wife and kids are packing up and coming state side?

Did the family come with him to Spain?

Yup and yup, it is not like it is not a common ocurrence amongst soccer players.

Roman529
01-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Yup and yup, it is not like it is not a common ocurrence amongst soccer players.

Exactly. Klinsman, the German coach, knows who wears the pants in his house and moved to Cali because that is where his wife is from. I am sure
Beckham's wife will leave Spain for Cali without blinking an eye.

Prime Time
01-11-2007, 05:02 PM
who?

ya exactly

Stop pretending like you have never heard of Becks.

Prime Time
01-11-2007, 05:06 PM
When Beckham made the jump from Man U. to Real Madrid, it was rumored that he would move to the MLS at the end of his career to help it (possibly) become a better league. They even tried to make it seem that his wearing of #23 with Real Madrid was a symbol of him saying "I am coming soon" because that was Jordan's number.

50 million a year is CRAZY money though. Unbelievable. Great to see another Soccer thread on these Boards. I miss the WC Threads :(

tucker
01-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Stop pretending like you have never heard of Becks.
its more in the lines that nobody still cares about soccer here

Prime Time
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM

Soccer is growing...little by little. Beckham will help this movement even more.

tucker
01-11-2007, 05:15 PM
doubt it

Quelonio
01-11-2007, 05:16 PM
When Beckham made the jump from Man U. to Real Madrid, it was rumored that he would move to the MLS at the end of his career to help it (possibly) become a better league. They even tried to make it seem that his wearing of #23 with Real Madrid was a symbol of him saying "I am coming soon" because that was Jordan's number.

50 million a year is CRAZY money though. Unbelievable. Great to see another Soccer thread on these Boards. I miss the WC Threads :(

WE should make a champions league thread... that always goes on, and now that we got Valencia doing great, and PSV doing great, it would just be sweet to talk

Quelonio
01-11-2007, 05:19 PM
doubt it

it will, from the very fact that this news made it to be big in ESPN and SI, from how the WC was followed so strongly in an american Football forum...

Soccer will replace hockey as the 4th strongest sport in america, specially as the latino populace keeps on growing. And as the youth of america that is playing more soccer.

TotoreMexico
01-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Soccer is growing...little by little. Beckham will help this movement even more.

I agree

finattic79
01-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Beckham is washed up, not playing in Real Madrid, no longer a part of the England team, and now he has a chance of making 250 million and being a big fish in a small pond... that is why he is making the move.

Which makes sense also in marketing for MLS.

I don't think he is washed up, but I will give you that he isn't he player that he once is. He still does have alot to give to MLS and vice versa. He'll always be a threat for 30yrds out on free kicks, and most likely lead the league in goals scored from free kicks. As for not playing England, that is more of a matter that Sven-Goran Eriksson left after the WC, and new coach Steve McClaren wanting to with younger players (John Terry is 26).

icephinfan
01-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Beckham is more than welcome to L.A. as long as he brings Posh Spice.:evil:

Migs182005
01-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Couple of things..

The $250 Million is a combination of salary, promotions, endorsements advertisement, etc... That is not all going to be paid by the L.A. Galaxy.. Still, that is a crap load of money...

Second, as probably mentioned, while Beckham is not the best player in the world, or for that matter, even close to being the best player in the world, I believe he will now become the best in the MLS.. He himself cannot make soccer in the US popular but the hope is that other stars from Europe will follow and through time the league will grow in skill.. His arrival will have a very short term effect on interest but in order for interest to maintain and grow, more players of high quality will have to follow....

And I know there are a lot of them, but I don't believe "This is America, we will never like Soccer" because I'm American, didn't like soccer growing up, but I caught on and now I love it.. This sport can grow under the right conditions... There will need to be new innovative ways to market and advertise soccer here in US though..

Prime Time
01-11-2007, 07:13 PM
doubt it

The US was *expected* to do well in the last WC. Where did these expectations come from If there is no fan base? :rolleyes2

unifiedtheory
01-11-2007, 07:48 PM
If you don't care about soccer then why the hell are you posting in a soccer thread?

I have no interest what so ever in the NBA (bores me to tears) or NASCAR (yeeeeehawwwwwww.....turn left) but I've never posted in any NASCAR or NBA related thread. Something I've never understood, people posting in a thread when they have ZERO interest in the subject matter.

Pink_Dove
01-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Becks is worthless on the pitch. He once could play with the best, but he hasn't been anything more than a second tier player for the last 2 years. As one dimensional as they come. Him not playing for England has nothing to do with Mclaren coming on board, or a younger player taking his place, as England are desperate for any wing help - so much that they had to move up Neville, a defender, at times this summer in Becks position. Anybody that thinks he might be the savior for football in the US - as his outrageous contract seems to indicate - hasn't watched a game of Real in years or doesn't have a clue about the sport.

ckb2001
01-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Becks is worthless on the pitch. He once could play with the best, but he hasn't been anything more than a second tier player for the last 2 years. As one dimensional as they come. Him not playing for England has nothing to do with Mclaren coming on board, or a younger player taking his place, as England are desperate for any wing help - so much that they had to move up Neville, a defender, at times this summer in Becks position. Anybody that thinks he might be the savior for football in the US - as his outrageous contract seems to indicate - hasn't watched a game of Real in years or doesn't have a clue about the sport.

None that know Beckham's abilities well think he will be a savior for US soccer through his skills on the pitch. It's the marketability that's the key. One reason American's don't give soccer the same respect they do the other major sports is because practically none of the world's best play here, and when they do it's well after their prime.

So, it's the guy's recognizability that's the key, though i have to admit 250 million is way above what I thought we'd have to pay for such a player.

tucker
01-11-2007, 09:18 PM
If you don't care about soccer then why the hell are you posting in a soccer thread?

I have no interest what so ever in the NBA (bores me to tears) or NASCAR (yeeeeehawwwwwww.....turn left) but I've never posted in any NASCAR or NBA related thread. Something I've never understood, people posting in a thread when they have ZERO interest in the subject matter.:sighs: b/c thats the reality of it...plus i didnt say i disliked soccer, although i may watch it during the WC but thats about it...this thread isnt about soccer only..its about beckham and if he can make soccer more popular here...and PT, they were expected to do well from the whole soccer community, not just us...so that arguemnt is kind of stupid

Pink_Dove
01-11-2007, 09:29 PM
None that know Beckham's abilities well think he will be a savior for US soccer through his skills on the pitch. It's the marketability that's the key. One reason American's don't give soccer the same respect they do the other major sports is because practically none of the world's best play here, and when they do it's well after their prime.

So, it's the guy's recognizability that's the key, though i have to admit 250 million is way above what I thought we'd have to pay for such a player.

Agreed, marketability is key, but my point was that, Beckham isn't considered anymore one of the world's best by most aficionados. Neither is Ronaldo who is next on the list of aging superstars past their glory days coming to L.A. And neither was Pele when he came to the Cosmos years ago.

Prime Time
01-11-2007, 11:13 PM
:sighs: b/c thats the reality of it...plus i didnt say i disliked soccer, although i may watch it during the WC but thats about it...this thread isnt about soccer only..its about beckham and if he can make soccer more popular here...and PT, they were expected to do well from the whole soccer community, not just us...so that arguemnt is kind of stupid

You obviously don't watch Soccer. :shakeno: The whole "soccer community" thinks the United States is a joke in Soccer. They didn't give us any respect in this World Cup (especially since we were in the toughest Group) and they never do. We weren't expected to do well at all (and we didn't).

Prime Time
01-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Agreed, marketability is key, but my point was that, Beckham isn't considered anymore one of the world's best by most aficionados. Neither is Ronaldo who is next on the list of aging superstars past their glory days coming to L.A. And neither was Pele when he came to the Cosmos years ago.

Ronaldo and Beckham now are still more viewer friendly and more talented then most of what the MLS has now.

Quelonio
01-11-2007, 11:52 PM
You obviously don't watch Soccer. :shakeno: The whole "soccer community" thinks the United States is a joke in Soccer. They didn't give us any respect in this World Cup (especially since we were in the toughest Group) and they never do. We weren't expected to do well at all (and we didn't).

I know we have had this discussion before, but you where certainly not in the toughest group... the toughest group was Argentina, Netherlands, Serbia and Cote D'ivore

Quelonio
01-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Ronaldo and Beckham now are still more viewer friendly and more talented then most of what the MLS has now.

Which kind of speaks of the sorry state of MLS :tongue:

Prime Time
01-12-2007, 01:42 AM
I know we have had this discussion before, but you where certainly not in the toughest group... the toughest group was Argentina, Netherlands, Serbia and Cote D'ivore

Italy....(who ended up winning the whole thing)
Ghana....solid African team with plenty of talent
Czech Republic....(was highly listed as a contender prior to the WC)
US

Argentina and the Netherlands where the favorites to get out of that group and they did.

Roman529
01-12-2007, 01:43 AM
I just don't think most people in the United States are ever going to be big fans of soccer. I lived in Italy for four years and the fans go nuts for it, but people here just don't seem to appreciate the game and think that if you don't score tons of goals it is not worth watching. :rolleyes:

Prime Time
01-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Which kind of speaks of the sorry state of MLS :tongue:

Never said I disagree...:wink:

Prime Time
01-12-2007, 01:44 AM
I just don't think most people in the United States are ever going to be big fans of soccer. I lived in Italy for four years and the fans go nuts for it, but people here just don't seem to appreciate the game and think that if you don't score tons of goals it is not worth watching. :rolleyes:

Yeah. But it can catch on IMO, If done properly. It'll be tough but impossible is nothing....:lol:

Quelonio
01-12-2007, 02:30 AM
Italy....(who ended up winning the whole thing)
Ghana....solid African team with plenty of talent
Czech Republic....(was highly listed as a contender prior to the WC)
US

Argentina and the Netherlands where the favorites to get out of that group and they did.

Of course Italy was good, But Czech republic was a complete dissappointment, as was the US (and you know this)

Argentina played a heck of a wc, actually they could have been in semis but Pekerman made a bad mistake with the entry of julio cruz instead of Messi. And they got unlucky when they lost Abbondansieri and Franco came in completely scared.

Netherlands lost to portugal in one of the ugliest, violent games I have ever seen, and they should have won. Only Van Basten got outcoached.

Cote D'ivory almost managed to classify, and did it playing wondeful soccer, just as good as ghana or better

Serbia was a terrible disappointment.

HysterikiLL
01-12-2007, 03:07 AM
I so want to bang Beckham's wife

ScottishFin
01-12-2007, 06:51 AM
Never mind yer tough WC group try Scotlands EURO2008 one -

Italy
France
Ukraine

Hmm world cup finalists and a team in the last 8 :(

But...... we are winning the group :D :D :D

BigDogsHunt
01-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Latest news is that his MLS official contract is 5yrs/$51M (10.2M per season). The balance to get the $199M is from endorsements, etc

Amars
01-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Latest news is that his MLS official contract is 5yrs/$51M (10.2M per season). The balance to get the $199M is from endorsements, etc

That is still a sick package.

phinman1
01-12-2007, 10:46 AM

Americans don't like soccer for a simple reason, it's boring. We have come up with more entertaining games. Sure there are exciting moments, but for the most part nothing happens except guys falling as if they've been shot by a howitzer.

The only way soccer has a chance of catching here is if the best players in the world come to America to play, and that's not happening. Instead, we get the superstars who are washed up and come here for their final act.

This Beckham signing is simply him trying to make some type of transition to Hollywood, as everyone is tiring of him in Europe. This wil be a non story soon enough, as again NO ONE CARES ABOUT SOCCER.

SpurzN703
01-12-2007, 02:46 PM
I so want to bang Beckham's wife

:lol:

I'd even wait for sloppy seconds for that one

SpurzN703
01-12-2007, 02:48 PM
I played indoor soccer for one year and one year only. Never liked regulation soccer. I had a hell of a time playing indoor soccer. More fast paced, smaller field, much more action and fun.

Regulation soccer stinks b/c 1-0 is considered a good game. I for one like entertainment, and soccer to me, is not entertainment

Quelonio
01-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Americans don't like soccer for a simple reason, it's boring. We have come up with more entertaining games. Sure there are exciting moments, but for the most part nothing happens except guys falling as if they've been shot by a howitzer.

The only way soccer has a chance of catching here is if the best players in the world come to America to play, and that's not happening. Instead, we get the superstars who are washed up and come here for their final act.

This Beckham signing is simply him trying to make some type of transition to Hollywood, as everyone is tiring of him in Europe. This wil be a non story soon enough, as again NO ONE CARES ABOUT SOCCER.

See this is just ignorant speak, you have any idea how many times i speak with soccer fans here that tell me that it is stupid that I like American Football because it is just boring? I mean who wants to watch a bunch of stupid brutes getting all mixed in a wad and hiting each other, not to mention that every 30 seconds they send to comercials, and most of the game is actually spent watching things people want to sell to you.

Soccer is (and I hate to say this in a football forum, considering I love football so much) by far the most beautiful game out there, no other game produces such fanatism, such love towards teams, I mean not a single, and i mean not a single team in the NFL has half the following of say Barcelona, or Arsenal, heck they don't have the following and the passion that say Boca Juniors or River Plate... You think a Bears-Packers game is a rivalry? You say that because you have never lived Chivas-America, you have never lived Real Madrid-Barcelona, you have never lived River-Boca, even the smaller rivalries in soccer are more impressive, heck I dare you to walk into Mexico 68 and watch a Pumas-América and not feel the chills of how important that game is (and I am not even a fan of either of these teams).

WAnna go even further? The single most important sporting event in the whole world is the World Cup...- People who don't follow soccer follow the World Cup, people get killed for results in it, that is the level of passion.

Is there a bunch of boring games, yes of course there is, and the obsession that has been rampant lately of fielding 5-4-1 teams which makes for terribly boring soccer (or the fact that two of the most boring teams in soccer made it to the World Cup finals) shows that it is definetely a game that is moving towards getting the result instead of fun games... but lemme tell you that it is not much fun to watch the damn bears win games 9-3, or the ravens win games in that same way.

Now if you have a chance to watch Barcelona really playing a game, that is a treat, even if they only score once, if Brazil is really playing, not just sleepwalking, that is something to behold. Netherlands in the '98 world cup (pretty much any time coached by Gus Hiddink), I mean when you watch a good game of soccer, few things are more excited.

(try out the Champions league finals between Liverpool and AC Milán, try out the one between Bayern Munich and Manchester United, if you can't see the amazing elements of the game when watching those games, you really will never get soccer)

Quelonio
01-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Never mind yer tough WC group try Scotlands EURO2008 one -

Italy
France
Ukraine

Hmm world cup finalists and a team in the last 8 :(

But...... we are winning the group :D :D :D

Now that is a tough group... and I hate telling you this, but you guys are the favorites to finish last I am sure.

I love Eurocup, WC is far more passionate, but the Euro is by far the nation's tournament with the best soccer.

I wish American teams took the Copa America seriously, it could be a good tournament, but it can't be when Argentina and Brazil send in their under 21 teams.

Last good copa america I saw, Enzo Francescoli was still playing (and what a treat watching him was)

Prime Time
01-12-2007, 04:18 PM

I agree 100% with what Totore says. You have no clue of what you are talking about. Soccer is the number one sport in the World...that is a fact.

Alex44
01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Its funny the soccer people are saying this will greatly help US soccer.

But the thing is, its the people that arent huge soccer fans that have the final say in this and 95% of us still wont care about the MLS. I dont hate soccer, I really enjoy the WC. But the fact is American people dont care about the growth of soccer within our country. It has about as much chance as Curling at becoming a huge sport here.

Quelonio
01-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I agree 100% with what Totore says. You have no clue of what you are talking about. Soccer is the number one sport in the World...that is a fact.

Quelonio, Totore is the other dude, he is not quite as handsome as I am :tongue:

Vertical Limit
01-12-2007, 07:21 PM
it will, from the very fact that this news made it to be big in ESPN and SI, from how the WC was followed so strongly in an american Football forum...

Soccer will replace hockey as the 4th strongest sport in america, specially as the latino populace keeps on growing. And as the youth of america that is playing more soccer.
4th strongest sport? I will say 5th, as Golf is more attractive than Hockey and Soccer currently in the US. As long as Tiger Woods is active, it will remain that way.

Vertical Limit
01-12-2007, 07:28 PM

Not sure if I agree that ALL AMERICANS don't care about soccer; I'm sure atleast 5% of the United States watch it, but I agree with most of what you said.

Soccer won't be big in America because of David Beckham. Untill the United States wins the World Cup (:lol:), then I think that will win over some fans.

It's just not our sport and it's not popular. Just like the NFL isn't very popular in Europe.

Quelonio
01-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Not sure if I agree that ALL AMERICANS don't care about soccer; I'm sure atleast 5% of the United States watch it, but I agree with most of what you said.

Soccer won't be big in America because of David Beckham. Untill the United States wins the World Cup (:lol:), then I think that will win over some fans.

It's just not our sport and it's not popular. Just like the NFL isn't very popular in Europe.

I would not laugh at that, especially if Klinsmann or Pekerman do move in to coach the team.

Mike13
01-12-2007, 08:21 PM
It could help Soccer in the US. Even if he is past his prime.

FFiB
01-12-2007, 08:30 PM

I have no interest what so ever in the NBA (bores me to tears) or NASCAR (yeeeeehawwwwwww.....turn left) but I've never posted in any NASCAR or NBA related thread. Something I've never understood, people posting in a thread when they have ZERO interest in the subject matter.

:sidelol:

FFiB
01-12-2007, 08:36 PM

But on the contrary Americans go nuts over a 200 inning -no hitter baseball game.

Waiting for a pitcher to throw the ball these days puts you in a state of decomposing.:shakeno:

FFiB
01-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Beckham is an excellent pick up for the MLS. I don't like Beckham much. He was always a player who never lived up to expectations and failed to be the superstar. He was a good player but never a great player.
Now he is on the declining curve anyways.

But beause of success in the Premier League and marketing he is a household name around the globe - even in the US.

This will put MLS by default in some Prime Time slots on TV. Most of the money is - as was stated in this thread - through "sponsorship". To get its money worth these advertisers and 'endorsers' have to put him on TV. He definitly is good enough to have some impact in the MLS, and he will be the face of MLS.

It will also put MLS on the map, yes with a declining soccer player, but not totally washed up like the old soccer league with Pele, Beckenbauer and Co. It will peak interest in the MLS. One of the major hold backs was always the money and the player designation philosophy. Now that is opened up a little.

Kinda curious what will happen to MLS in the next few years.

bullseyeguy
01-12-2007, 08:52 PM
I would consider myslef a casual fan, I watch the WC, but not much outside of that...I think this will help US soccer, if for nothing else, it will get more soccer on TV...If I was able to watch it on a more consistent basis, and if I had a team to get behind, I could see myself becoming a much bigger fan...

As far as soccer being boring, I used to think that too, until I actually watched it....

Quelonio
01-12-2007, 08:59 PM
But on the contrary Americans go nuts over a 200 inning -no hitter baseball game.

Waiting for a pitcher to throw the ball these days puts you in a state of decomposing.:shakeno:

so true... see that is one game that will never be understood outside of the us and the caribbean.

TotoreMexico
01-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Quelonio, Totore is the other dude, he is not quite as handsome as I am :tongue:

Pffffff

:rolleyes:

Roman529
01-12-2007, 09:08 PM
I laugh when sportscasters say he is the "greatest player" to come play in the United States.......I remember guys like Pele, Beckenbauer, Giorgio Chinaglia, etc., all coming up and they were going to make soccer a big sport here.....it never happened. I doubt the MLS will even be here in 5 years, let alone Bechkham. :rolleyes:

bullseyeguy
01-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Beckham has more of a hollywood feel, that will appeal more to mainstream americans than any of the past "recruits"..

WestCKoastiN
01-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Not a fan of soccer but i guess its good for the city of L.A?

Amars
01-12-2007, 09:40 PM
This segment was very entertaining.

For me this was a great segment between Los Angeles Fans Reaction and British Fans Reactions to Beckham.

KLAC Sports AM 570 Hooked with BBC Radio and both were LIVE.

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/LOSANGELES-CA/KLAC-AM/070112%20BBC%20Simulcast%20on%20Beckham.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=LOSANGELES-CA&NG_FORMAT=sports&SITE_ID=727&STATION_ID=KLAC-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=Loose_Cannons&PCAST_CAT=Arts_&_Entertainment&PCAST_TITLE=Loose_Cannons__Podcast

KLAC Sportscaster

The crazy LOUD LA sportscaster is Vick "the Brick" Jacobs. He's overtop with energy

Micheal Thompson the former Lakers from the Showtime Era

Steve Hartman a UCLA grad who knows more about sports then the Schaub

Amars
01-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Why soccer is not successful in the US is because no money was ever put into soccer. No promotion, No nice Venue, No Star player because the salary suck and doesnt attract good athlete to pursue the sport. Mainly its because soccer is not in the public eye. The English Premier League is great soccer but they play at 5am in the states and most dont have the fox sport soccer channel. Look at the top sports in the US and their top salary for their players. The avg. $20Mill/yr for their respected sports. The same in Europe for soccer players $20Mill/yr for players like Ronaldino. of course if you have athletic skills in the US your gonna play Football, Basketball, and Baseball. Vice Versa for Europe and Latin America.

I hope this Beckham signing will create a vacuum effect over the next couple of years to attract top players. This is like a Dwade or Kobe leaving the NBA for Europe.

Fresh
01-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Bend it like Beckham > Ride it like a Ford

Quelonio
01-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Pffffff

:rolleyes:

:tongue:

ckb2001
01-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Edgar Davids could be next. He might be going to FC Dallas:
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6362438

Quelonio
01-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Edgar Davids could be next. He might be going to FC Dallas:
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6362438

Wow, he brings back memories of that Hiddink coached dutch team in 98... so nice to watch them.

Still he is also in the downside, but it is sweet to see that MLS is starting to move for big names.

Mike13
01-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Wow, he brings back memories of that Hiddink coached dutch team in 98... so nice to watch them.

Still he is also in the downside, but it is sweet to see that MLS is starting to move for big names.

Wasn't that what the MLS higher ups were hoping for when Beckham was signed? To attract big names?

so true... see that is one game that will never be understood outside of the us and the caribbean.

And Japan.

Pink_Dove
01-13-2007, 07:27 PM

Comon, Davids a big name ? Maybe 10 years ago but the poor fellow should have retired in 2004. He was only brought on by Jol (free transfer) for leadership which, to his credit he has provided for a young Spurs team. But he doesn't have the pace or passing ability anymore to be considered a 'big name'. Honestly, the MLS looks more like the new Qatar than anything else to me.

Quelonio
01-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Comon, Davids a big name ? Maybe 10 years ago but the poor fellow should have retired in 2004. He was only brought on by Jol (free transfer) for leadership which, to his credit he has provided for a young Spurs team. But he doesn't have the pace or passing ability anymore to be considered a 'big name'. Honestly, the MLS looks more like the new Qatar than anything else to me.

Well see I remember him having a nice season with Barcelona two years ago, so I thought he was still capable of playing.

MARINO1384
01-15-2007, 11:15 AM

But remember he's not going to be playing anywhere near talent level that he played against in Europe....He's excellent in publicity....think about it,you ask anyone in the US to name 5 soccer players i garentee that Beckham is in that 5 more then 95% of then time.

Prime Time
01-16-2007, 11:24 AM

:lol: Oops...sorry :tongue:

Prime Time
01-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Last week, one of the world's most well known soccer players signed a contract to play for Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy. This was said to be a move that would further appreciation for soccer in the US.

According to various reports, The Game recently reacted to this by claiming he would "kick his ***." Although he did admit Beckham was a "pretty good" player, he also claimed he would end the match quickly.

"I'd kick David Beckham's *** on any given day. I'd just pick the ball up and kick the s*** out of the stadium, game over," he reportedly said.

Never mind that picking the ball up is against Soccer rules...

The Game is also facing heat from the WWE. According to ProWrestling.com, the rapper recently claimed he would be willing to fight wrestler Triple H over the rights to the name The Game.

"The Game claims he has used the name longer; however Triple H has been associated with the name since the summer of 1999," the site recently noted.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news

Watch out Becks....:lol: ...Yeah right