PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets deal Boykins, Hodge to Bucks for Blak

Ronnie Bass
01-11-2007, 08:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2727760

The Denver Nuggets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=den) need some breathing space from luxury-tax territory. The Milwaukee Bucks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=mil) need backcourt scoring to counter their injury crisis.

That's why the teams combined on a trade featuring Earl Boykins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3311) on Thursday.

Now 10 games into the Allen Iverson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3094) Era, Denver has agreed to send Boykins, little-used guard Julius Hodge (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3946) and cash to the Bucks for guard Steve Blake (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3741).

Holy crap, did the Nuggets really have to make this trade? Even if Boykins minutes dwindled with Anthony's return from his suspension, but if IA ever goes down they could be screwed.

dominizzo
01-11-2007, 08:16 PM
bad trade!! I guess it was for cap reasoons

Rocky Raccoon
01-11-2007, 09:17 PM
good trade for the Bucks though!

King Felix
01-11-2007, 09:36 PM
steve blake>>>a midget pg and benchwarmer

good trade imo

WestCKoastiN
01-11-2007, 11:04 PM

good trade imo

boykins is not that bad for a midget-like player..

ChambersWI
01-11-2007, 11:14 PM

good trade imo

you'd think you'd get more than Steve Blake for Boykins alone.

Better trade for the Bucks because A)they need another guard since Redd and Williams are hurt and B)They need wing players, and no one has seen Hodge play enough to know if he's any good.

For the Nuggets I understand it's for the luxury tax (they're basically going to be paying that for years since they have AI,Melo,and KMart at max deals, and Camby/Nene making a lot of money) but now your bench is going to be depleted. Sure you get a lot of scoring with Melo and JR back, but really, how's the team going to do? They now have no pass first PGs (and Blake is really more of a guy that takes up space), and no scoring coming off the bench.

The Nuggets might be exciting to watch, but I don't think they make any noise in the playoffs.

King Felix
01-11-2007, 11:20 PM
you'd think you'd get more than Steve Blake for Boykins alone.

Better trade for the Bucks because A)they need another guard since Redd and Williams are hurt and B)They need wing players, and no one has seen Hodge play enough to know if he's any good.

For the Nuggets I understand it's for the luxury tax (they're basically going to be paying that for years since they have AI,Melo,and KMart at max deals, and Camby/Nene making a lot of money) but now your bench is going to be depleted. Sure you get a lot of scoring with Melo and JR back, but really, how's the team going to do? They now have no pass first PGs (and Blake is really more of a guy that takes up space), and no scoring coming off the bench.

The Nuggets might be exciting to watch, but I don't think they make any noise in the playoffs.:sidelol: have you watched blake? he IS a pass first point guard and had one of the best assist/turnover ratio last year....also a very good shooter(not this year but he has a stroke)

GreenMonster
01-11-2007, 11:43 PM

good trade imo

You are so wrong about this.. Steve Blake could only dream of having 20 point games on a regular basis.. Blake can pass, but has been awful in his minutes for the Bucks, and his shooting has gone down the drain so far this year... He plays less Defense than Boykins.. Total cap dump for the nuggets..

King Felix
01-11-2007, 11:46 PM
You are so wrong about this.. Steve Blake could only dream of having 20 point games on a regular basis.. Blake can pass, but has been awful in his minutes for the Bucks, and his shooting has gone down the drain so far this year... He plays less Defense than Boykins.. Total cap dump for the nuggets..and boykins could only dream about it too. and id rather have blake on defense than a midget.....they both are bad but id rather have a normal sized pg with bad d, then a midget with bad d.

GreenMonster
01-12-2007, 12:33 AM
and boykins could only dream about it too. and id rather have blake on defense than a midget.....they both are bad but id rather have a normal sized pg with bad d, then a midget with bad d.

Boykins is avg. 15.2 points a game and has been over 20 since Melo has been out.. He can flat out score.. He isn't a great defender because of his size, but is scrappy enough to hold people honest.. The only thing Blake has going for him over Boykins is size.. I love this trade..

Roman529
01-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Boykins seems to jack up a lot of shots and they do not need his scoring with AI and Melo....sorry but a guy who is not even 5' 5" is too much of a defensive liability. No big loss for the Nugs.

SpurzN703
01-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Boykins seems to jack up a lot of shots and they do not need his scoring with AI and Melo....sorry but a guy who is not even 5' 5" is too much of a defensive liability. No big loss for the Nugs.

Literally :D

Ferretsquig
01-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Boykins is avg. 15.2 points a game and has been over 20 since Melo has been out.. He can flat out score.. He isn't a great defender because of his size, but is scrappy enough to hold people honest.. The only thing Blake has going for him over Boykins is size.. I love this trade..

How many players in the league wouldn't score 20 pts per game if they took 20 shots?

GreenMonster
01-12-2007, 04:20 PM
How many players in the league wouldn't score 20 pts per game if they took 20 shots?

Well in his last 5 games he is avg. 20.6 points on 16 shots a game with 5.2 assists to boot.

Phinz420
01-12-2007, 04:24 PM

:chuckle:

Alex44
01-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Pound for pound and inch for inch Boykins is a top 15 NBA player. (So if everyone was the same size he would be amazing is what Im saying, not that he in fact is a top 15 player or anything) unfortunatly for him he doesnt have many of those pounds of inches to begin with. But everyone who is making fun of his skill and underestimating him think of this.

How many other 5'5 players are currently playing and playing well?

Phinz420
01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
How many other 5'5 players are currently playing and playing well?

How many other 5'5 players took as many shots as him though?

I think they needed to get rid of him.

Alex44
01-12-2007, 04:48 PM
How many other 5'5 players took as many shots as him though?

I think they needed to get rid of him.

How many 5'5 players are there talented enough to play in the NBA?

Im not saying that it was a good or bad trade either way, but Boykins is a pretty good player.

Ferretsquig
01-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Well in his last 5 games he is avg. 20.6 points on 16 shots a game with 5.2 assists to boot.

There are four guys in the league that take as many shots and shoot a lower percentage. Two of them on the most selfish team and two on the team with the worst record. 5'5 guards that play like a scorer are fun to watch and I'm sure he'll be a fan favorite wherever he goes but don't think him taking more shots is a good thing.

Roman529
01-12-2007, 04:58 PM
How many 5'5 players are there talented enough to play in the NBA?

Im not saying that it was a good or bad trade either way, but Boykins is a pretty good player.

He is a great player for his size but a lot of times when I watch the Nuggets he is jacking up shots when he should leave it up to Camby and AI to get better shots. This team is going to be great when Melo gets back.

GreenMonster
01-12-2007, 05:14 PM
There are four guys in the league that take as many shots and shoot a lower percentage. Two of them on the most selfish team and two on the team with the worst record. 5'5 guards that play like a scorer are fun to watch and I'm sure he'll be a fan favorite wherever he goes but don't think him taking more shots is a good thing.

Here is a list of players taking more shots at a worse % than Boykins:

Crawford, Bibby, Morrison, Artest, Hughes, Felton, Richardson, Alston, Webber..

Boykins shoots 43% on 3's this year...

The Bucks needed a scorer and got one for a player barely getting off our bench because he is only a decent PG, that plays ok D, and can't shoot a lick this year..

GreenMonster
01-12-2007, 05:18 PM
He is a great player for his size but a lot of times when I watch the Nuggets he is jacking up shots when he should leave it up to Camby and AI to get better shots. This team is going to be great when Melo gets back.

Exactly with the Bucks without our top 2 scorers Boykins will be a godsend.. The Nuggets probably could have gotten more for Boykins but they wanted to move him because he was gonna lose playing time and they didn't want to pay the luxury tax this year.. The Bucks had a 4 million dollar trade exception from Bobby Simmons that ran out on Friday, thats the reason this trade happened so fast.. I thought Blake could have been a decent backup PG when we picked him up, but he has been downright awful for us..