PDA

View Full Version : DIRECTV rumor

MikeO
01-17-2007, 03:06 PM
That DIRECTV is going to purcahse the MLB package and hold exclusive rights to that within the next year or two.

Locking out cable companies from carrying the MLB package as they do with the NFL package.

Just a rumor now, keep an eye open for that though

FinsNYanksFan13
01-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Doesn't matter to me, I'll just order MLB.tv like I always do for 80 bucks and watch on the computer. I know DirecTV can't block Major League Baseball from selling the games on their website so I'm all good!

NJFINSFAN1
01-17-2007, 03:14 PM
I just watch the Mets on Directv, so it would not bother me.

Rocky Raccoon
01-17-2007, 03:24 PM
I am planning on ordering it this season on Comcast, I hope it doesn't happen that soon.

Mike13
01-17-2007, 03:43 PM
That would suck donkeyballs.

Samphin
01-17-2007, 03:55 PM
As a Directv subscriber, I think it stinks. Once they have exclusivitey, they will be able to jack the price up.

I wish Sirius would get the radio rights though. I don't have XM and it stinks when I am on the road and can't listen to my Dodgers.

Amars
01-17-2007, 04:02 PM
As long as I get my Dodgers on Cable.

Does that apply to home games. Right now home games are on foxsport west and away are on our local stations.

Roman529
01-17-2007, 04:11 PM
I can still watch most of the Rockies games here and follow my Phillies on my computer. Can't wait for baseball to start!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:

Ray Finkle
01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
This better not happen, although I'm worried because I've heard the rumors about it too. It's been enough I can't get NESN and have to order Extra Innings Package from my cable company but now I might have to switch to Direct TV. What a pain. These monopolies suck sometimes.

phunwin
01-17-2007, 08:36 PM
There are already rumblings that Congress is getting pissy about DTV's monopoly over the NFL Sunday Ticket. Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in this.

MikeO
01-18-2007, 12:56 AM
As a Directv subscriber, I think it stinks. Once they have exclusivitey, they will be able to jack the price up.

I wish Sirius would get the radio rights though. I don't have XM and it stinks when I am on the road and can't listen to my Dodgers.

The XM/SIRIUS merger will be great though. Should happen this year. Then we all get everything!!

MikeO
01-18-2007, 01:00 AM
There are already rumblings that Congress is getting pissy about DTV's monopoly over the NFL Sunday Ticket. Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in this.

DIRECTV and the SUNDAY TICKET isn't a monoply. If anyone wants it, they just have to go buy DIRECTV.

Is SIRIUS a monoply because they are the ONLY place to get NFL Radio??? Or Howard Stern??? There are a million examples!!!!!!!

Congress should just fix the important issues. Like getting armor to our troops in IRAQ, building up the city of New Orleans, and building something on the site of the WTC................and not worry about the NFL SUNDAY TICKET!!!!!!!

Samphin
01-18-2007, 02:19 AM
The XM/SIRIUS merger will be great though. Should happen this year. Then we all get everything!!

They have been claiming a merger will happen for over a year now. Has something happened recently to move that along? Or is this the ever present rumor that never dies but never comes to fruition?

Seriously, it would make sense on XM's part. They are losing subscribers left and right while Sirius has now eclipsed the 6 million subscriber mark and gaining by leaps and bounds on XM.

I would like to see it simply just for the baseball package.

MikeO
01-18-2007, 10:32 AM
They have been claiming a merger will happen for over a year now. Has something happened recently to move that along? Or is this the ever present rumor that never dies but never comes to fruition?

Seriously, it would make sense on XM's part. They are losing subscribers left and right while Sirius has now eclipsed the 6 million subscriber mark and gaining by leaps and bounds on XM.

I would like to see it simply just for the baseball package.

Yeah something has happened............they are talking to each other!

phunwin
01-18-2007, 12:48 PM
DIRECTV and the SUNDAY TICKET isn't a monoply. If anyone wants it, they just have to go buy DIRECTV.

Is SIRIUS a monoply because they are the ONLY place to get NFL Radio??? Or Howard Stern??? There are a million examples!!!!!!!

Congress should just fix the important issues. Like getting armor to our troops in IRAQ, building up the city of New Orleans, and building something on the site of the WTC................and not worry about the NFL SUNDAY TICKET!!!!!!!

Well, I won't disagree that Congress probably has more important things to do. Sadly, our elected representatives have a long and glorious tradition of wasting time and taxpayer money on things of less than tremendous importance. However, your definition of a monopoly is completely incorrect in both the common sense of the term and most definitely in the legal sense.

Commonly, we refer to a monopoly as one seller selling a given product. DirecTV is the only place where you can buy Sunday Ticket. Period. They're a monopoly in that sense.

In the legal sense of the word, as the courts have defined it, DTV is also a monopoly. Congress has generally legislated against anything that tends to be "anticompetitive". Well, if DTV is the only place you can buy the NFL Sunday Ticket, where's the competition? This isn't helped by the fact that the NFL strictly draws their television viewing boundaries. Ergo, if you don't buy the NFL Sunday Ticket, you will get the game the NFL sees fit to show you after it's carved up the USA into 32 distinct markets. This is a textbook example of anticompetitive behavior, particularly where there's some 30 or 40% of the NFL viewing audience (I forget the exact number) that absolutely cannot get DTV for one reason or another. I assure you that less brazen forms of anticompetitive behavior have been found to be violations of the Clayton Act and Sherman Act, the two most relevant pieces of antitrust (aka monopoly) law.

The NFL, if it chooses to litigate the matter rather than settle things (as they surely one day will have to decide), will counter that the relevant market here isn't NFL football, but is much broader. They'll say that the market in question is professional sports, and therefore, that they're only controlling a very small piece of the professional sports market, and that consumers have tons of other choices for their sporting entertainment, be it basketball, NASCAR, baseball, etc.

This is why Sirius isn't a monopoly. Most people would agree that if you can't listen to Howard Stern, there are plenty of other low-IQ, bathroom humor-filled radio shows to listen to. The relevant market is "All Idiot DJs", not just "Howard Stern".

That's what many of these cases come down to: what's the relevant market? The NFL will seek to make it as broad as possible in an attempt to make their own share of the market seem small by comparison. I suspect the NFL will lose this argument, and Roger Goodell, pragmatist that he is, probably knows it. That's why I think you'll see the NFL work out a deal with DTV and the other satellite and cable providers whereby the Sunday Ticket is marketed to other systems, with DTV receiving a refund of a fair chunk of the $6 billion they paid (or whatever it was) for the exclusive rights.

MikeO
01-18-2007, 01:00 PM
SIRIUS is the ONLY place to listen to NFL RADIO though. The official NFL RADIO station.

What's the difference between NFL RADIO and the SUNDAY TICKET??? The NFL has sold "exclusive" rights to its programing to one provider!

Plus, how is DIRECTV a monoply when you have Dish Network and Cable. One might chose whicever one they prefer because of the content it provides.I have an option to what I want.

If DIRECTV loses teh Sunday ticket, DIRECTV probably goes out of business. No way will they give up exclusive rights to this. And thsi is why they are going to probably get exclusive rights to the MLB package in the coming year or so.

phunwin
01-18-2007, 01:13 PM
SIRIUS is the ONLY place to listen to NFL RADIO though. The official NFL RADIO station.

What's the difference between NFL RADIO and the SUNDAY TICKET??? The NFL has sold "exclusive" rights to its programing to one provider!

Plus, how is DIRECTV a monoply when you have Dish Network and Cable. One might chose whicever one they prefer because of the content it provides.I have an option to what I want.

If DIRECTV loses teh Sunday ticket, DIRECTV probably goes out of business. No way will they give up exclusive rights to this. And thsi is why they are going to probably get exclusive rights to the MLB package in the coming year or so.

Maybe they'll crack down on Sirius, too. I don't know. But I strongly suspect that DTV is first on the chopping block.

Your argument will be what the NFL will say: there are other forms of entertainment apart from the NFL, and consumers are free to make use of those. I'm telling you though, from my reading and research of antitrust law, this is not likely to pass muster.

MikeO
01-18-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't see CONGRESS getting involved in this. I cant see how. NFL provides a product (NFL SUNDAY TICKET). DIRECTV spends big money to keep it exclusive to them.

This isn't anything groundbreaking. If you want the SUNDAY TICKET, but Directv. If you don't want it, then there are a ton of other options (cable, dish network...etc).

And i don't see DIRECTV under any pressure here. As they are about to lock down the MLB Extra Innings package as well exclusive to them!!

Samphin
01-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't see how this is any different from other ocmpanies. My company, for years signed an exclusivity contract with one mean of distribution. That comapny, in turn, promoted themselves as such as the ONLY provider of our products. That has since changed, but not due to violating antitrust laws or anything like that.

Samphin
01-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Besides, Directv is not the only provider of NFL games. Fox, ABC (ESPN) CBS and NBC and the NFL network all provide NFL games throughout the season. Games that can be seen on any cable or satellite provider (assuming they have the right packages for the cable games).

King Felix
01-18-2007, 08:54 PM
ok i have directv, but if i wanted to watch the mariners i would have to buy the mlb package, or the normal channel i always watch them???

Ray Finkle
01-18-2007, 09:41 PM
ok i have directv, but if i wanted to watch the mariners i would have to buy the mlb package, or the normal channel i always watch them???

If you normally get Mariners games without having to order the baseball package on Direct TV then don't worry you'll be fine.

King Felix
01-18-2007, 09:42 PM
If you normally get Mariners games without having to order the baseball package on Direct TV then don't worry you'll be fine.
:whew:

MikeO
01-22-2007, 10:35 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/story/490443p-413112c.html

About 3/4 of the way down. This story is getting mainstream press. Looks like DIRECTV will own the sports world soon!!!

Rocky Raccoon
01-22-2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/story/490443p-413112c.html

About 3/4 of the way down. This story is getting mainstream press. Looks like DIRECTV will own the sports world soon!!!

damn that sounds like they want to get it done as soon as possible.

I do have DirecTV at my dad's house but I won't be able to watch as many games.

EDIT: does anyone know how much the package costs?

MikeO
01-22-2007, 11:54 AM
damn that sounds like they want to get it done as soon as possible.

I do have DirecTV at my dad's house but I won't be able to watch as many games.

EDIT: does anyone know how much the package costs?

I think right now its around $169 or so. But if Directv gets it, they might add a bunch of special features to it and stuff like a game-mix channel and stuff then they will most likely raise costs

boltfan219
01-23-2007, 10:37 PM
I have a Wii, so if I bought the MLB.tv package on the wii, then plugged it in the TV, isnt that potentially able to work?

boltfan219
01-23-2007, 10:37 PM
So this time I can see the Padres win their division, and maybe even have above a .500 record too!

Rocky Raccoon
01-31-2007, 05:38 PM
has anyone heard anything new on this? I have seen some people who have said that DirecTV has already purchased the rights.

MikeO
02-01-2007, 12:35 AM
has anyone heard anything new on this? I have seen some people who have said that DirecTV has already purchased the rights.

I haven't heard anything new. If someone does please post some info.

I will do some research tomorrow and see what i dig up

Rocky Raccoon
02-01-2007, 12:48 AM
I haven't heard anything new. If someone does please post some info.

I will do some research tomorrow and see what i dig up

I turned on Mike and the Mad Dog and they were talking about it but they never actually said if anything was done or what had happened. After I heard that I jumped around on different baseball sites and boards and didn't see anything on it.

MikeO
02-01-2007, 01:01 AM
The info I heard was MLB made an extra $30 mill to yank the package off of cable and have it EXCLUSIVE to DIRECTV (like the NFL). I think it starts this year and I think the deal is done. But I wasn't sure so that is why I didn't post anything

I will do some research in the morning and see wha ti Find.

MikeO
02-01-2007, 12:22 PM
did some research, made some calls... here is the scoop.....

1) it is a done deal it will start this year.

2) As part of the deal, in 2009 DIRECTV will also have the "exclusive" rights to the brand new MLB Channel (which will be like NFL Network, NBA TV...etc)

muscle979
02-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Lucky for me in Augusta, between TBS, Turner South, and FoxSports net I can watch every Braves game without a package. I'm getting pretty tired of Directv's monopoly on the out of area football games though. I don't want to get rid of my cable TV b/c if I do Comcast will jack up the rates for my cable internet, which I'd like to keep.

MikeO
02-02-2007, 02:40 AM
270,000 people have the MLB Extra Innings package on DIRECTV. On Cable/Dish only 230,000 had it.

The deal breaker for the whole thing was the new MLB Channel in 2009. Cable/Dish didn't want to carry it. DIRECTV said no problem they would put it on, that is why MLB sold everything to DIRECTV!