PDA

View Full Version : 2007: A New Hope

retired opfinistic
01-20-2007, 12:56 PM
With Cameron on board and Mueller taking on more responsibility as the GM, I'm starting to feel Opfinistic again! (I was getting ready to start a Pessfinistic profile, but resisted) Who knows? Maybe Opie will be smiling again soon. Looking ahead, I wonder just which direction the new regime should take.

I feel that we are a lot further away from a Super Bowl than most of us want to admit. I know a lot of people have put their faith in a fully recovered Culpepper suddenly igniting our lukewarm offense. I don't think Pepper will ever come close to his '04 form, he looked like he was playing scared this season. Harrington showed us that he's, at best, consistently inconsistent, and in my opinion, he's not going to take us anywhere either. Our receivers just didn't get it this year, I saw more dropped balls than I care to remember. The only bright spot on the offensive side of the ball was Ronnie Brown, who, despite an injury that sidelined him for a few weeks had a decent year. (Forget the Vikings game, too!) Welker looked good too, but he's no #1 receiver.

Our aging defense had a great year for the most part, I don't know how they kept their spirits up week after week, carrying our offense, but they did. But let's face it, Taylor and Thomas will be reitired before we are serious Super Bowl contenders. Our secondary had a rough start but came together and operated more as a unit as the season wore on, but I still miss the days of Madison and Surtain. They were a wet blanket on many an opposing QB's passing game.

I feel that if Cam is to be successful in Miami, he needs to proclaim that we will be rebuilding this franchise from the ground up and kill all expectations for a 'win now' season next year. I know trading away proven veterans for draft picks is a risky endeavor at best, but why not get what we can for some of these guys now, before they either retire or their game drops off so much that they no longer have trade value? Gaining extra first day picks and assembling a squad of young hungry players that can grow together, as a unit, would help get this franchise out of the slump it is in. It's been rough as hell for us fans these last few years, 2 out of 3 losing seasons, four head coaches since the start of '04 (yeah, Bates counts), the whole Tricky Ricky situation, I feel like I'm watching a soap opera instead of a football game when the fins are on.

I don't know where the root of the problem is with the lack of intensity this team has shown, and I'm afraid that familiarity has breeded contempt and a lot of the guys that have not shown heart need to go somewhere else and underachieve.

Anyway, I'm cautiously opfinistic this season, hoping to see some real changes in the wind and a Super Bowl on the horizon. At least before I turn 6!

Capt. Dick
01-20-2007, 01:42 PM
This is stating the obvious but I think that the first and most critical aspect of the future success of this franchise is that Cam and Mueller develop a strong working relationship. That will be the foundation on which future success will be built.

So far, I`m happy with Cam`s selection, particularly after watching his news conference. But of course, the only thing that we can do is sit back and see how it plays out.

like2god
01-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Great post opfin. :cooldude:

I agree that it is better to let the GM do his job and let the coach focus on the X's and O's. Mueller has a pretty good track record for finding and drafting talent. With that said, I still think the Phins should have an open door policy where everyone has a POV and it will be taken seriously. The more people putting their heads together the better, right?

I am one of the people that thinks that we are not that far off from making some noise in the playoffs. The defense is still top notch, sure it can use a few tweaks but so can every other defense in the league. Our biggest problem was the OL and dropped balls. Lets face it, even though the OL was disgraceful and there were more dropped balls than any of us could count, we were not that far off from the playoffs. We started out very poorly and hopefully that won't happen next year.

How do the Phins fix it?

You could trade away guys like Taylor, Thomas, Ricky, Pep, Chambers, etc for picks, but I don't see that happening. Throwing all of our cap space at quick fix guys that are close to being over the hill isn't going to work either. Here are a few guys that I think would improve things for the better and are sound aquisitions.

#1 (Top Priority IMO) Kris Dielman OG San Diego Chargers
The guy is an absolute monster with a nasty streak, I read an article the other day about how every team loves this guy. He has only been an OL for a handfull of years but he already has garnered Pro Bowl consideration, making the team as a 1st alternate this year. He is an unrestricted FA and there is the Cameron connection so this guy could be a real possibilty. Again, OL is my biggest concern and this guy is tops on my list. Did I mention that he made Richard Seymour look foolishly overmatched on more than one occasion?

#2 Terdell Sands DT Oakland Raiders
6'7" 335 and only 26 years old. Raiders fans love him and would hate to see him go. He is unrestricted and we will need to replace Traylor, Wilkinson and possibly Carter. I think this would be a wise pick up at the right price.

#3 Max Starks OT Pittsburgh Steelers
A mountain of a man at 6'7" 337 and he is only 25 years old. The only problem is that he is a restricted FA and it would take draft picks to get him. But because he is still young the picks would make sense IMO as long as they aren't asking for 2 1st rounders. I wouldn't trade the #9 for him but would look into what it would take to get him here.

#4 Sign Welker, Bell and hypnotize Chambers and McMichael so they are no longer afraid of the ball. Welker needs to be resigned, he isn't a #1 WR but you can't find another guy with his heart and willingness to sacrifice his body to make the catch. Chambers really showed me that he is not a #1 WR this year. Too many dropped balls and his inability to get open really soured me on him, I wouldn't be upset to see him go (But I'm not sure of the cap hit). Booker is too fragile and probably won't be back. McMichael gets a pass and a second chance IMO because he was used primarily as a blocker to make up for the OL's inability to block. The dropped passes are a concern but hopefully that will be the main thing that he works on in training camp.

#5 Make an offer to Clements
Make an offer but don't break the bank for a guy that will be pursued by almost everybody. I would love to add his talent but shudder at what his price might be.

#6 Draft a QB, but not with the #9
I definitely think the Phins need to pick someone to groom for a year or two but not at 9. There have been a ton of great QB's taken in the later rounds, Tom Brady being one of them.

#7 If we keep #9, pick best player available.
That is how the Pats have built their dynasty, by taking the best player available regardless of position. Now obviously we don't need another RB, but if the BPA is a WR or DT, go for it. There is no way Johnson or Thomas fall to us and I don't believe the Phins currently have what it takes to move up to grab either one. Hell, I wouldn't be upset if the Phins traded down and picked up a few more picks, the Pats have 2 1st rounders BTW.

I will stick by my statement that we aren't that far off. It will take a few wise pickups in the draft and FA and the OL playing as a unit, but I still think this is a playoff team. We don't really have a say in all of this but it is fun to play GM for a day. :lol:

FinaciousOne
01-20-2007, 02:14 PM
This is stating the obvious buy I think that the first and most critical aspect of the future success of this franchise is that Cam and Mueller develop a strong working relationship. That will be the foundation on which future success will be built.

I agree.
Kind of like in Buffalo where Wilson and Levy have developed a
Great-Great-Grandfather and Great-Grandfather relationship.
Only younger.

like2god
01-20-2007, 02:16 PM
I agree.
Kind of like in Buffalo where Wilson and Levy have developed a
Great-Great-Grandfather and Great-Grandfather relationship.
Only younger.
:lol:

A strong working relationship between the coach and GM is very important, hopefully they can get on the same page asap.

DolfanTom
01-21-2007, 01:06 PM
With Cameron on board and Mueller taking on more responsibility as the GM, I'm starting to feel Opfinistic again! (I was getting ready to start a Pessfinistic profile, but resisted) Who knows? Maybe Opie will be smiling again soon. Looking ahead, I wonder just which direction the new regime should take.

I feel that we are a lot further away from a Super Bowl than most of us want to admit. I know a lot of people have put their faith in a fully recovered Culpepper suddenly igniting our lukewarm offense. I don't think Pepper will ever come close to his '04 form, he looked like he was playing scared this season. Harrington showed us that he's, at best, consistently inconsistent, and in my opinion, he's not going to take us anywhere either. Our receivers just didn't get it this year, I saw more dropped balls than I care to remember. The only bright spot on the offensive side of the ball was Ronnie Brown, who, despite an injury that sidelined him for a few weeks had a decent year. (Forget the Vikings game, too!) Welker looked good too, but he's no #1 receiver.

Our aging defense had a great year for the most part, I don't know how they kept their spirits up week after week, carrying our offense, but they did. But let's face it, Taylor and Thomas will be reitired before we are serious Super Bowl contenders. Our secondary had a rough start but came together and operated more as a unit as the season wore on, but I still miss the days of Madison and Surtain. They were a wet blanket on many an opposing QB's passing game.

I feel that if Cam is to be successful in Miami, he needs to proclaim that we will be rebuilding this franchise from the ground up and kill all expectations for a 'win now' season next year. I know trading away proven veterans for draft picks is a risky endeavor at best, but why not get what we can for some of these guys now, before they either retire or their game drops off so much that they no longer have trade value? Gaining extra first day picks and assembling a squad of young hungry players that can grow together, as a unit, would help get this franchise out of the slump it is in. It's been rough as hell for us fans these last few years, 2 out of 3 losing seasons, four head coaches since the start of '04 (yeah, Bates counts), the whole Tricky Ricky situation, I feel like I'm watching a soap opera instead of a football game when the fins are on.

I don't know where the root of the problem is with the lack of intensity this team has shown, and I'm afraid that familiarity has breeded contempt and a lot of the guys that have not shown heart need to go somewhere else and underachieve.

Anyway, I'm cautiously opfinistic this season, hoping to see some real changes in the wind and a Super Bowl on the horizon. At least before I turn 6!Great job Opie! This is definitely one way to go, and a way I think will be ultimately successful.

But I think you'll find that it'll prolly be a mix of trying like hell to win right away, while bringing along some young talent. Yes, Taylor and Thomas are old, but I think they have another good year left, which'll keep us competitive if nothing else.

The biggest thing for me is what we're going to do for QB - next year and beyond. If it's Pepper, so be it, but they better have someone else holding the clip board who can play in the future too.

I don't have all the answers - like any of us do - but I'm excited to see where this goes!

finsrclowns
01-21-2007, 11:34 PM
The biggest thing for me is what we're going to do for QB - next year and beyond.

And we have ....bingo!:lol:

DolfanTom
01-21-2007, 11:37 PM
And we have ....bingo!:lol:
'Clowns, wherever you are - grab a beer!!!

Ding dong, the Patsies are dead!!!!

Patriots = Choke!

Brady = Choke!!!

finsrclowns
01-22-2007, 12:38 AM
'Clowns, wherever you are - grab a beer!!!

Ding dong, the Patsies are dead!!!!

Patriots = Choke!

Brady = Choke!!!

:lol: Top leaves bottle.

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 10:37 AM

I agree that it is better to let the GM do his job and let the coach focus on the X's and O's. Mueller has a pretty good track record for finding and drafting talent. With that said, I still think the Phins should have an open door policy where everyone has a POV and it will be taken seriously. The more people putting their heads together the better, right?

I am one of the people that thinks that we are not that far off from making some noise in the playoffs. The defense is still top notch, sure it can use a few tweaks but so can every other defense in the league. Our biggest problem was the OL and dropped balls. Lets face it, even though the OL was disgraceful and there were more dropped balls than any of us could count, we were not that far off from the playoffs. We started out very poorly and hopefully that won't happen next year.

How do the Phins fix it?

You could trade away guys like Taylor, Thomas, Ricky, Pep, Chambers, etc for picks, but I don't see that happening. Throwing all of our cap space at quick fix guys that are close to being over the hill isn't going to work either. Here are a few guys that I think would improve things for the better and are sound aquisitions.The more people involved in personnel decisions the better, one man may see something that the others do not. Trading away those guys is a real touchy proposition, we could amass some great draft picks and infuse the team with young talent, or we could lose some great players and pick up a handful of (Ryan) Leafs!

The guy is an absolute monster with a nasty streak, I read an article the other day about how every team loves this guy. He has only been an OL for a handfull of years but he already has garnered Pro Bowl consideration, making the team as a 1st alternate this year. He is an unrestricted FA and there is the Cameron connection so this guy could be a real possibilty. Again, OL is my biggest concern and this guy is tops on my list. Did I mention that he made Richard Seymour look foolishly overmatched on more than one occasion?OL definately needs addressing this season, so many people overlook the fact that a stong OL can make or break an offense. I don't care who the QB and RB are, if the pass protection isn't there and the OL can't open up some running lanes the offense will stagnate.

#2 Terdell Sands DT Oakland Raiders
6'7" 335 and only 26 years old. Raiders fans love him and would hate to see him go. He is unrestricted and we will need to replace Traylor, Wilkinson and possibly Carter. I think this would be a wise pick up at the right price.Yeah! Our DTs are dinosaurs by NFL standards, not knocking the guys, they're like a brick wall on the field, but we need youth on the DL. I wonder if Manny will be back now that mean Nick Saban is gone.

#3 Max Starks OT Pittsburgh Steelers
A mountain of a man at 6'7" 337 and he is only 25 years old. The only problem is that he is a restricted FA and it would take draft picks to get him. But because he is still young the picks would make sense IMO as long as they aren't asking for 2 1st rounders. I wouldn't trade the #9 for him but would look into what it would take to get him here.Tough call there, bro. Trading away more picks makes my nutsack shrivel. We've been shooting ourselves in the foot for a few years now trading away picks for guys that didn't pan out. Starks is a good player, but I'd rather we draft a guy than trade away anymore picks.

#4 Sign Welker, Bell and hypnotize Chambers and McMichael so they are no longer afraid of the ball. Welker needs to be resigned, he isn't a #1 WR but you can't find another guy with his heart and willingness to sacrifice his body to make the catch. Chambers really showed me that he is not a #1 WR this year. Too many dropped balls and his inability to get open really soured me on him, I wouldn't be upset to see him go (But I'm not sure of the cap hit). Booker is too fragile and probably won't be back. McMichael gets a pass and a second chance IMO because he was used primarily as a blocker to make up for the OL's inability to block. The dropped passes are a concern but hopefully that will be the main thing that he works on in training camp.Welker and Bell - Yes! Chambers and McMike......:confused: I wonder where the lack of intensity came from with these two clowns this year. Both seemed to be developing into great players until the season began. Makes me wonder if they didn't like Saban and that contributed to their lackluster play, maybe they didn't like Joey, who the hell knows? In any case they both need to sh*t or get off the pot, underachieving players have no business on this team.

#5 Make an offer to Clements
Make an offer but don't break the bank for a guy that will be pursued by almost everybody. I would love to add his talent but shudder at what his price might be. :lol: Your eternal soul, perhaps?

#6 Draft a QB, but not with the #9
I definitely think the Phins need to pick someone to groom for a year or two but not at 9. There have been a ton of great QB's taken in the later rounds, Tom Brady being one of them.QB should be at the top of Cam's list. And I agree about not using the #9 pick. We don't need to mortgage the farm to fill that spot, I'd love to see us bring in a rookie and develop him, no more retreads!

#7 If we keep #9, pick best player available.
That is how the Pats have built their dynasty, by taking the best player available regardless of position. Now obviously we don't need another RB, but if the BPA is a WR or DT, go for it. There is no way Johnson or Thomas fall to us and I don't believe the Phins currently have what it takes to move up to grab either one. Hell, I wouldn't be upset if the Phins traded down and picked up a few more picks, the Pats have 2 1st rounders BTW.F*cking Patsies! BPA is def the way to go, even if that position is solid on your team. It never hurts to have as many quality players as possible on the team and there's always the trade bait factor.

I will stick by my statement that we aren't that far off. It will take a few wise pickups in the draft and FA and the OL playing as a unit, but I still think this is a playoff team. We don't really have a say in all of this but it is fun to play GM for a day. :lol:Maybe I'm just a little gunshy after this year, but I'm not sensing the playoffs in the immediate future, with a new HC, new offensive (hopefully less offensive:lol: ) playbook and some (probably) signifigant roster moves, we'll be looking at yet another year of growing pains. Maybe I'm wrong to lower my expectations, but at least I'm certain to not be disappointed!

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Great job Opie! This is definitely one way to go, and a way I think will be ultimately successful.

But I think you'll find that it'll prolly be a mix of trying like hell to win right away, while bringing along some young talent. Yes, Taylor and Thomas are old, but I think they have another good year left, which'll keep us competitive if nothing else.

The biggest thing for me is what we're going to do for QB - next year and beyond. If it's Pepper, so be it, but they better have someone else holding the clip board who can play in the future too.

I don't have all the answers - like any of us do - but I'm excited to see where this goes!
Winning now and building for the future at the same time is tough to pull off immediately. If a few years of strong drafting and intelligent FA aquisitions have strengthened the team and given you some 'expendable' talent, then you can keep the team competative while, at the same time, filling the roster with young talent (Patsie style). I agree about Pepper, I'm not sold on him, and if we go into next season with him, and him alone, at the QB spot, I'll be as nervous as a nine-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Hopefully he can regain some of his pro-bowl days glory and be a solid starter, but we need to be developing a new QB right behind him.

DolfanTom
01-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Winning now and building for the future at the same time is tough to pull off immediately. If a few years of strong drafting and intelligent FA aquisitions have strengthened the team and given you some 'expendable' talent, then you can keep the team competative while, at the same time, filling the roster with young talent (Patsie style). I agree about Pepper, I'm not sold on him, and if we go into next season with him, and him alone, at the QB spot, I'll be as nervous as a nine-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Hopefully he can regain some of his pro-bowl days glory and be a solid starter, but we need to be developing a new QB right behind him.I'm actually excited for the draft for the first time in a long time. This draft will go a long way in determining whether Cam will succeed or fail long-term IMO. A good draft that yields a decent LT (or some OL position), a QB who can make plays and a solid WR will obviously make all the difference! It has to happen this year to start the re-stocking of talent. I'm hoping we don't have a pick right around nine next year. I hope we're in the 15-20 range.

I think if JT and Zach are on the team, we'll be competitive at the very least, guaranteed. If Mueller unloads one or both - then yes, we'll be in complete rebuilding mode. This is a decision for brighter minds than mine! Or yours you damn two-year-old :lol:

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm actually excited for the draft for the first time in a long time. This draft will go a long way in determining whether Cam will succeed or fail long-term IMO. A good draft that yields a decent LT (or some OL position), a QB who can make plays and a solid WR will obviously make all the difference! It has to happen this year to start the re-stocking of talent. I'm hoping we don't have a pick right around nine next year. I hope we're in the 15-20 range.

I think if JT and Zach are on the team, we'll be competitive at the very least, guaranteed. If Mueller unloads one or both - then yes, we'll be in complete rebuilding mode. This is a decision for brighter minds than mine! Or yours you damn two-year-old :lol:
Ha! I studied under Speilman! I'll give a second rounder + JT, ZT and RW to the Giants for a still unproven Manning!:lol:

BleedinGreenNC
01-22-2007, 12:19 PM

A strong working relationship between the coach and GM is very important, hopefully they can get on the same page asap.

Let's hope not!:goof:

J/K!

like2god
01-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Maybe I'm just a little gunshy after this year, but I'm not sensing the playoffs in the immediate future, with a new HC, new offensive (hopefully less offensive:lol: ) playbook and some (probably) signifigant roster moves, we'll be looking at yet another year of growing pains. Maybe I'm wrong to lower my expectations, but at least I'm certain to not be disappointed!
I think it all depends on who they bring in playerwise. There were 2 or 3 games that we should have won last year but we didn't because of dropped balls or poor protection. If we won those games we probably would have been in the playoffs and right now we would be talking about how far will we go next year. Again, I just feel that we had a few tough breaks and things will be better next year. I'm not predicting SB, but I think this team is playoff caliber.

like2god
01-22-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm actually excited for the draft for the first time in a long time. This draft will go a long way in determining whether Cam will succeed or fail long-term IMO. A good draft that yields a decent LT (or some OL position), a QB who can make plays and a solid WR will obviously make all the difference! It has to happen this year to start the re-stocking of talent. I'm hoping we don't have a pick right around nine next year. I hope we're in the 15-20 range.

The draft is like the second Super Bowl IMO, I love it. Infact I think I get more excited for the draft because the Phins haven't been to the SB in a while. :rolleyes:

like2god
01-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Let's hope not!:goof:

J/K!

You're a f@g :lol:

BleedinGreenNC
01-22-2007, 12:48 PM
HA HA!! I heard MM is going to be staying with the team! YES!!

DolfanTom
01-22-2007, 12:48 PM
The draft is like the second Super Bowl IMO, I love it. Infact I think I get more excited for the draft because the Phins haven't been to the SB in a while. :rolleyes:Ironically, because we've been drafting like $hit :fire::fire::boohoo::boohoo::confused:

DolfanTom
01-22-2007, 12:49 PM
HA HA!! I heard MM is going to be staying with the team! YES!!
But - thankfully - not calling plays if he does stay. That is where he does most of his damage. And I mean damage like in a bad way!!!

BleedinGreenNC
01-22-2007, 12:50 PM
But - thankfully - not calling plays if he does stay. That is where he does most of his damage. And I mean damage like in a bad way!!!

This is true!! Is he going to be a QB coach?

DolfanTom
01-22-2007, 12:51 PM
This is true!! Is he going to be a QB coach?
Not sure, not sure if he'll even remain. if he does, it's probably as OC, but w/ less responsibility (see above post). Depends on if he can work w/ these conditions - suppose it'll be an ego thing.

If he leaves, look for Jason Garrett to move into OC.

DolfanTom
01-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Breaking news ... looks like he IS back. Not sure the details yet. :fire:

BleedinGreenNC
01-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Breaking news ... looks like he IS back. Not sure the details yet. :fire:

LOL!! Going to be a long season again!

DolfanTom
01-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Going to be a long season again!

Wasn't that the Jets mantra until recently :confused::sidelol:

He may only be TE coach they say. Or a neutered OC. Cameron is running the offensive show, so no worries here.

Maybe there are worries in New York, Buffalo and Boston, but not here :wink:

BleedinGreenNC
01-22-2007, 01:00 PM

He may only be TE coach they say. Or a neutered OC. Cameron is running the offensive show, so no worries here.

4-12 to 10-6, i will take that all day long, 9-7 to 6-10, who's on the rise?

like2god
01-22-2007, 01:06 PM
4-12 to 10-6, i will take that all day long, 9-7 to 6-10, who's on the rise?
That just means that there will be really high expectations for the Jests next year and boy oh boy you better hope they deliver. :lol:

like2god
01-22-2007, 01:07 PM

I think the Phins will try to force him out by stripping him of as much power as possible. Could be wrong though.

DolfanTom
01-22-2007, 01:09 PM
That just means that there will be really high expectations for the Jests next year and boy oh boy you better hope they deliver. :lol:Yep, don't know how an 8-8 would sit here in the depths next year for ole "gang green!"

I'm personally expecting another reconstructed shoulder for Chad 'round August, but I don't wish bad health on anyone. I expect it, though!

BleedinGreenNC
01-22-2007, 01:17 PM
That just means that there will be really high expectations for the Jests next year and boy oh boy you better hope they deliver. :lol:

Always high expectations here, remember your expectations this year for your team?

Sb, that went pretty well!

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I think it all depends on who they bring in playerwise. There were 2 or 3 games that we should have won last year but we didn't because of dropped balls or poor protection. If we won those games we probably would have been in the playoffs and right now we would be talking about how far will we go next year. Again, I just feel that we had a few tough breaks and things will be better next year. I'm not predicting SB, but I think this team is playoff caliber.
I hope you're right, bro!:cooldude:

BleedinGreenNC
01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
I hope you're right, bro!:cooldude:

Look, a poop flinger sighting!

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 01:40 PM
LOL!! Going to be a long season again!
Not really, by my understanding, Saban neutered MM and forced him to run Linehan's PB which he was unfamiliar with.

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Look, a poop flinger sighting!
:lol: I thought it read 'poop finger'!:lol:

BleedinGreenNC
01-22-2007, 01:53 PM
:lol: I thought it read 'poop finger'!:lol:

It's only a poop finger if you take it out of your ***, just ask L2G.

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 02:01 PM
:lol: Sick f@ggot!

like2god
01-22-2007, 03:09 PM
FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ

Mueller shares vision; Arison, Cuban disagree

By BARRY JACKSON

bjackson@MiamiHerald.com (bjackson@MiamiHerald.com)

All Dolphins and Heat today:
• Speaking publicly for the first time on some of his plans as Dolphins general manager, Randy Mueller promised an aggressive approach.

''We need a lot of things,'' said Mueller, who will share decision-making power with coach Cam Cameron. ( Wayne Huizenga said president Bryan Wiedmeier ''would step in'' if there's an instance when Mueller and Cameron don't agree.) The first priority will be ''sorting out'' quarterback.

Can Mueller enter the offseason assuming Daunte Culpepper will start? ''I don't think we're ready to say anything yet,'' he said. ``We have to evaluate what is best for us. He's a really good player. I'd love to have him here.''
Though Mueller wants to gauge Cameron's thoughts before commenting at length on needs, the GM would like to add speed at receiver (''increasing team speed will make us better'') and a pass-rushing linebacker (``in a 3-4 defense, we need rushers'').

Trading Zach Thomas or Jason Taylor and rebuilding from scratch ''would be crazy,'' Mueller said. ``I know how hard it is to get players like that. They're still really productive. I'm interested in getting more of those guys.''

Mueller doesn't envision a major rebuilding job: ``The rules are set up where you can get good players if you're aggressive and evaluate correctly. It will be my plan to be out front and get involved in a lot of deals and then be able to decide if we want to do it. We'll be very aggressive in acquiring players.''
Mueller suggested he won't shed good defensive players simply to get younger: ``We don't want to go backwards.''

Mueller, reportedly one of five candidates for the Tennessee GM job, said he hasn't ''thought about'' whether to interview there, but indicated Friday he wants to be with the Dolphins long-term. Huizenga said he wouldn't block Mueller from interviewing.
Well, now we know what Mueller's intentions are. His words about Pep make me wonder........:hmmm:.............wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

like2god
01-22-2007, 03:10 PM
(says the man who is currently sitting on his own fist) :lol:

DolfanTom
01-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Well, now we know what Mueller's intentions are. His words about Pep make me wonder........:hmmm:.............wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement.Exactly. Things like, "I'd love to have him here."

Like he isn't already here .... like it's in question :confused:

Very interesting to say the least. I'm guessing, though, that if he can play, he'll be here. And if he gets released, he's likely done.

And it appears Zach and JT can terrorize Brady for yet another season. That alone will keep us in games. But to be aggressive in trades, you need trade bait. Not sure how much we have, other than picks :rolleyes2.

Hopefully, by "aggressive," he means key players in FA.

BleedinGreenNC
01-22-2007, 03:35 PM
(says the man who is currently sitting on his own fist) :lol:

Stop wishing nasty man!

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Well, now we know what Mueller's intentions are. His words about Pep make me wonder........:hmmm:.............wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
I feel good after that article. More Opfinistic again! I was fearing (and mentally preparing) for a fire sale at Dolphin Stadium!

like2god
01-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Exactly. Things like, "I'd love to have him here."

Like he isn't already here .... like it's in question :confused:

Very interesting to say the least. I'm guessing, though, that if he can play, he'll be here. And if he gets released, he's likely done.
Maybe he is just being diplomatic and cautious with his words right now.

And it appears Zach and JT can terrorize Brady for yet another season. That alone will keep us in games. But to be aggressive in trades, you need trade bait. Not sure how much we have, other than picks :rolleyes2.

Hopefully, by "aggressive," he means key players in FA.
I hope it means FA, Draft, Trades, etc. This team seems to have become content and complacent when it comes to offseason moves. Fill a hole here, and reach for a guy and hope we can get the most out of him there. I hope that they are more aggressive and can go out and get a few more important pieces to our playoff puzzle.

DolfanTom
01-22-2007, 03:57 PM
I hope it means FA, Draft, Trades, etc. This team seems to have become content and complacent when it comes to offseason moves. Fill a hole here, and reach for a guy and hope we can get the most out of him there. I hope that they are more aggressive and can go out and get a few more important pieces to our playoff puzzle.This is a good point, and a symptom of always feeling "we are just a player away," etc.

We need to "make haste slowly" :rolleyes2

Remember that one!

like2god
01-22-2007, 04:01 PM
I feel good after that article. More Opfinistic again! I was fearing (and mentally preparing) for a fire sale at Dolphin Stadium!
I don't mean to bring you down, but actions speak louder than words.

j/k :lol:

I'm liking the direction the Phins are heading in. Just think, a couple of weeks ago we were all shocked and depressed because Saban snuck out of town, now we all can be opfinistic about the future. :wink:

BleedinGreenNC
01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
now we all can be opfinistic about the future. :wink:

I heard that at the begining of the Saban era!

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't mean to bring you down, but actions speak louder than words.

j/k :lol:

I'm liking the direction the Phins are heading in. Just think, a couple of weeks ago we were all shocked and depressed because Saban snuck out of town, now we all can be opfinistic about the future. :wink:
:fire: Hey, I'm trademarking that word!!!!!

Suck Faban!!!!!

like2god
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
This is a good point, and a symptom of always feeling "we are just a player away," etc.

We need to "make haste slowly" :rolleyes2

Remember that one!

We can still rebuild AND contend for the playoffs at the same time.

Rebuilding doesn't have to involve completely gutting your team in favor of young players. If we pick the right guys in FA and not overspend for players that are over the hill and towards the end on their prime, then that is one way that we can get younger without the growing pains. We have a lot of age on the DL right now, if some of those guys leave (as probably will be the case) we should be looking to replace them with guys that are young and productive. You don't have to go out and sign ProBowl guys for each and every position like some people on a certain main board would have you believe. :rolleyes2 As an example, a young guy like DT Terdell Sands would be a good fit, he is young, big and still coming into his own. He isn't going to command alot and the potential is there.

Drafting well is another way, too many draft picks have been wasted on guys like Eddie Moore or J Fletcher. The Phins have passed over a few players because of the coaches having too much say. Anquan Boldin, Randy Moss and Drew Brees are just a few examples of guys that were there but the guy in charge reached for a player. Just pick the best player available, that's how the Pats have become the team that they are.

I think the Phins are in a pretty good position right now, Mueller has had some really good drafts in his NFL gm career, lets hope he can keep it up.

like2god
01-22-2007, 04:20 PM
I heard that at the begining of the Saban era!
STFU :D

like2god
01-22-2007, 04:22 PM
:fire: Hey, I'm trademarking that word!!!!!

Suck Faban!!!!!

You better hurry up and trademark it, I heard rumors that BleeninGreen is thinking of naming his new line of gang green dildos "opfinistic" for draft day. :lol:

BleedinGreenNC
01-22-2007, 04:27 PM
STFU :D

LOL!! Truth hurts!!

DolfanTom
01-22-2007, 04:29 PM
We can still rebuild AND contend for the playoffs at the same time.

Rebuilding doesn't have to involve completely gutting your team in favor of young players. If we pick the right guys in FA and not overspend for players that are over the hill and towards the end on their prime, then that is one way that we can get younger without the growing pains. We have a lot of age on the DL right now, if some of those guys leave (as probably will be the case) we should be looking to replace them with guys that are young and productive. You don't have to go out and sign ProBowl guys for each and every position like some people on a certain main board would have you believe. :rolleyes2 As an example, a young guy like DT Terdell Sands would be a good fit, he is young, big and still coming into his own. He isn't going to command alot and the potential is there.

Drafting well is another way, too many draft picks have been wasted on guys like Eddie Moore or J Fletcher. The Phins have passed over a few players because of the coaches having too much say. Anquan Boldin, Randy Moss and Drew Brees are just a few examples of guys that were there but the guy in charge reached for a player. Just pick the best player available, that's how the Pats have become the team that they are.

I think the Phins are in a pretty good position right now, Mueller has had some really good drafts in his NFL gm career, lets hope he can keep it up.Oh I agree very much.

It's all about the "process" "relative" to the talent available, etc. :wink:

You're totally right about Satan! Two weeks ago, we were all POed, jumping off buildings, etc. Now, we're ready for September to arrive!

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh I agree very much.

You're totally right about Satan! Two weeks ago, we were all POed, jumping off buildings, etc. Now, we're ready for September to arrive!

Damn straight! Win or lose, I love my fins and everything 'relative' to the team!

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 04:36 PM
You better hurry up and trademark it, I heard rumors that BleeninGreen is thinking of naming his new line of gang green dildos "opfinistic" for draft day. :lol:
I want to know where the green is bleedin' from! :lol:

like2god
01-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Oh I agree very much.

I hope I never have to hear another person over-using that word again, relative to how often Saban used it. :smackhead

It's good to have short term memory loss, eh? :lol:

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Oh I agree very much.

I hope I never have to hear another person over-using that word again, relative to how often Saban used it. :smackhead

It's good to have short term memory loss, eh? :lol:
What were we talking about?

Marijuana does not affect the short term memory!

like2god
01-22-2007, 04:39 PM
I want to know where the green is bleedin' from! :lol:

I don't. :lol:

like2god
01-22-2007, 04:41 PM
[quote=like2god;1061719795][quote=DolfanTom;1061719751]Oh I agree very much.

What were we talking about?

Marijuana does not affect the short term memory!

No, but banging your head up against a wall out of frustration during the season sure does. :(

retired opfinistic
01-22-2007, 04:59 PM
[quote=opfinistic;1061719804][quote=like2god;1061719795]

No, but banging your head up against a wall out of frustration during the season sure does. :(
Sounds like a typical friday night at the Y for B-Lo!

BleedinGreenNC
01-22-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't. :lol:

so your from West Virginia?

GoBills24
01-23-2007, 10:16 PM

The guy is an absolute monster with a nasty streak, I read an article the other day about how every team loves this guy. He has only been an OL for a handfull of years but he already has garnered Pro Bowl consideration, making the team as a 1st alternate this year. He is an unrestricted FA and there is the Cameron connection so this guy could be a real possibilty. Again, OL is my biggest concern and this guy is tops on my list. Did I mention that he made Richard Seymour look foolishly overmatched on more than one occasion?

Word is he's on the Bills radar, as well as Eric Steinbach.

like2god
01-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Word is he's on the Bills radar, as well as Eric Steinbach.
Yeah, but who wants to play in Buffalo? :lol:

GoBills24
01-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Yeah, but who wants to play in Buffalo? :lol:

Money talks.

:wink:

retired opfinistic
01-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Yeah, but who wants to play in Buffalo? :lol:These guys:
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/01/trannies-1.jpg

BleedinGreenNC
01-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Money talks.

:wink:

The Bills have money?

retired opfinistic
01-24-2007, 10:35 AM
The Bills have money?
Ol' Ralph still has Confederate $$ from his Civil War days!

BleedinGreenNC
01-24-2007, 11:03 AM
He needs to invest in Geritol!

retired opfinistic
01-24-2007, 11:33 AM
He needs to invest in Geritol!
Depends!

Kinzua
01-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Ol' Ralph still has Confederate $$ from his Civil War days!

Naw, he fought on the winning side! Now, H.Wayne, however ... :lol:

Kinzua
01-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Depends!

Just 'cause you're still in diapers doesn't mean the rest of the world wears 'em, too! :evil:

retired opfinistic
01-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Just 'cause you're still in diapers doesn't mean the rest of the world wears 'em, too! :evil:
I'll bet you want to powder my rump.:wink:

BleedinGreenNC
01-24-2007, 01:25 PM
I'll bet you want to powder my rump.:wink:

You and your sick fantasies!:shakeno:

retired opfinistic
01-24-2007, 01:45 PM
You and your sick fantasies!:shakeno:
Kinzua's right there with my Oprah/Rosie threesome!:lol:

BleedinGreenNC
01-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Lol!!

GoBills24
01-24-2007, 06:29 PM
The Bills have money?

Yep, around 39 million.

If we really need / want someone, nobody is going to outbid us.

like2god
01-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Yep, around 39 million.

If we really need / want someone, nobody is going to outbid us.

Ahh, but remember.....just because you have the cap space, that doesn't mean that your owner is going to use it. He was crying poor not too long ago, was he not?

GoBills24
01-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Ahh, but remember.....just because you have the cap space, that doesn't mean that your owner is going to use it. He was crying poor not too long ago, was he not?

A poster on a Bills site found something interesting while reading the CBA.

There is a minimum each team can spend, floors, if you will. Our "floor" right now is 28 million. 28 million we must spend, to keep within the required distance of the salary cap.

Maybe they revised it since then, but that's what I heard.

retired opfinistic
01-31-2007, 10:59 AM
:billsbite
:lol: Yes they do!