PDA

View Full Version : Oguchi Onyewu..heading to Chelsea???

Prime Time
01-23-2007, 07:35 PM
I hate to brag, but I told you so. He is an good player with a great upside (and he has my bday!) ...I didn't even know Real Madrid had been interested in him. The best teams are trying to sign the US Defender...I wonder why??? Maybe because he sucks...:rolleyes2

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=404287&cc=5901

Prime Time
01-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Where's Totore and all the Mexican Fans who were talking junk about The Gooch during the WC???

Roman529
01-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Didn't this guy and Donovan both "disappear" during the World Cup?

Quelonio
01-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Where's Totore and all the Mexican Fans who were talking junk about The Gooch during the WC???

Our problem was your claim that he was the best defender in Concacaf, when he is not even the second best. (as in 1. Rafael Marquez, 2. Carlos Salcido) not with Onguchi himself, who seems to be a very phisical guy.

But things there just talk about interests, I can't tell you how many mexican players have created interest with nothing ever happening with them. Personally I would be surprised, Actually I bet you some phin dollars he does not go to Chelsea.

finsmx
01-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Our problem was your claim that he was the best defender in Concacaf, when he is not even the second best. (as in 1. Rafael Marquez, 2. Carlos Salcido) not with Onguchi himself, who seems to be a very phisical guy.

But things there just talk about interests, I can't tell you how many mexican players have created interest with nothing ever happening with them. Personally I would be surprised, Actually I bet you some phin dollars he does not go to Chelsea.

I'll second that motion.

finsmx
01-25-2007, 07:26 PM

You got that right :wink:

TotoreMexico
01-25-2007, 07:40 PM

Ha! you were saying that he was the best defender in Concacaf:rolleyes:

Fresh
01-25-2007, 08:15 PM

Many soccer "superstars" all across the world "disappeared" during the World Cup.

Different ball game.. different speed.. different teams.. not easy for everyone to get comfortable.

TotoreMexico
01-25-2007, 08:47 PM
I'd take Marquez, Salcido and even Osorio over Onyewu any day

Prime Time
01-26-2007, 08:46 AM

:nono: Definately not. He was praised as one of the few Americans to actually show up.

Prime Time
01-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Ha! you were saying that he was the best defender in Concacaf:rolleyes:

I still believe that ;)

TotoreMexico
01-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I still believe that ;)

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Prime Time
01-26-2007, 01:21 PM
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/198/2780035085zx8.gif

:lol: You probably haven't seen enough of him. ;)

But I do see this move going through. He is already playing in Europe and has been for quite sometime. So its not like the MLS would interfere with this.

Quelonio
01-27-2007, 05:24 PM
:lol: You probably haven't seen enough of him. ;)

But I do see this move going through. He is already playing in Europe and has been for quite sometime. So its not like the MLS would interfere with this.

So, has it happened yet?

I mean the transfer deadline is soon isn't it?

Prime Time
01-29-2007, 02:35 AM
http://www.soccertimes.com/americans/2007/jan26.htm

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=444560&plid=23557&clid=4&cpid=8

Says he is going to Marseilles (France)...ughhhh I wanted him to play in the EPL or La Liga...If not, then maybe in the Italian league. Grrr....oh well still not 100% certain where he will go....

Also...it said things fell through with Chelsea because he thinks Mourinho will not be there next year and that a new coach might not use him.

King Felix
01-29-2007, 02:37 AM
i know he plays for usa but whats his parents nationallity?

Prime Time
01-29-2007, 02:43 AM
As I have looked more and more into it...Gooch has drawn an AMAZING amoun of interest. I am even surprised by how many teams looked at him. As one writer said "You'd think Gooch was Terry's or Cannavaro's ******* Step Child with the interest he is getting."

Porto, Inter, Real Madrid, Marseilles, Chelsea, Fullham, Middlesborough, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Reading etc.

Also, just so you know...Gooch won the US Soccer Federation Player of the Year for 2006. First Defender to do it since...you guessed it...Alexi Lalas :yes:

TotoreMexico
01-29-2007, 02:56 AM
http://www.soccertimes.com/americans/2007/jan26.htm

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=444560&plid=23557&clid=4&cpid=8

Says he is going to Marseilles (France)...ughhhh I wanted him to play in the EPL or La Liga...If not, then maybe in the Italian league. Grrr....oh well still not 100% certain where he will go....

Also...it said things fell through with Chelsea because he thinks Mourinho will not be there next year and that a new coach might not use him.

Heading to Chelsea? I don't think so:sidelol:

Prime Time
01-29-2007, 02:57 AM
Heading to Chelsea? I don't think so:sidelol:

Why are you laughing??? Mourinho was really eager to sign him. Was one of his Top Choices for this Transfer Period.

TotoreMexico
01-29-2007, 03:05 AM
As I have looked more and more into it...Gooch has drawn an AMAZING amoun of interest. I am even surprised by how many teams looked at him. As one writer said "You'd think Gooch was Terry's or Cannavaro's ******* Step Child with the interest he is getting."

Porto, Inter, Real Madrid, Marseilles, Chelsea, Fullham, Middlesborough, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Reading etc.

Also, just so you know...Gooch won the US Soccer Federation Player of the Year for 2006. First Defender to do it since...you guessed it...Alexi Lalas :yes:

Blah, blah, blah one thing is drawning interest and another different thing is actually playing with an important team

Prime Time
01-29-2007, 03:06 AM
Blah, blah, blah one thing is drawning interest and another different thing is actually playing with an important team

Marseille is an important team....

TotoreMexico
01-29-2007, 03:09 AM
Why are you laughing??? Mourinho was really eager to sign him. Was one of his Top Choices for this Transfer Period.

And yet, he didn't went to Chelsea

TotoreMexico
01-29-2007, 03:12 AM
Marseille is an important team....

Really? how many UEFA 's Champions has won?

Prime Time
01-29-2007, 01:10 PM
And yet, he didn't went to Chelsea

:rolleyes2

Because HE chose not to.

As of right now, Newcastle will be getting him on a loan for the rest of the season, pending him passing a physical.

@@@
01-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Well whatever peoples opinions of him he'll struggle to be worse than Boumsong was or Bramble is! Newcastle isn't a bad move for him, interested to see how he does. Americans have settled fairly well to the premiership in the past largely because of the language but also because they already have the requisite attitude strength and fitness that alot of players coming from other areas of europe stuggle with early in their careers in England

TotoreMexico
01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
:rolleyes2

Because HE chose not to.

As of right now, Newcastle will be getting him on a loan for the rest of the season, pending him passing a physical.

because he thinks Mourinho will not be there next year and that a new coach might not use him

Translation: He sucks

If he's good, they'll use him, no matter who's the coach:rolleyes:

Prime Time
01-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Translation: He sucks

If he's good, they'll use him, no matter who's the coach:rolleyes:

Definately showing your Soccer knowledge there. :rolleyes: just cause someone does not fit into a system doesn't mean they suck. So Ronaldo sucks because he doesn't fit in Real Madrid's plans anymore? Heck, I'll take your Mexican National Team as an example. Just because they left out Blanco and Bautista off the World Cup team means they suck??? Great job proving your point there. ;)

Quelonio
01-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Definately showing your Soccer knowledge there. :rolleyes: just cause someone does not fit into a system doesn't mean they suck. So Ronaldo sucks because he doesn't fit in Real Madrid's plans anymore? Heck, I'll take your Mexican National Team as an example. Just because they left out Blanco and Bautista off the World Cup team means they suck??? Great job proving your point there. ;)

Actually blanco and bautista should not have been called, they where not at their peak games, right now they should be there, but at that point.... And in that case it is also a bad example because LaVolpe had a bad relationship with them.

As is, I think saying no I didn't want to go there is sort of a easy cop out. We all know Chelsea is at a weird spot right now, but if they wanted him, they get him to go there, Marseille is a good team, but it is not Chelsea, and Onyewu is not a developing player, he is a player...

Anyways, i hope he does well... he just is not the best defender of Concacaf... :que:

By the way, are you willing to make a phin dollar bet on the upcoming game?

TotoreMexico
01-29-2007, 11:51 PM

Haha! you are saying he's the best defender in the CONCACAF, and you don't give a damn prove, talk about soccer knowledge:rolleyes:

Prime Time
01-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Actually blanco and bautista should not have been called, they where not at their peak games, right now they should be there, but at that point.... And in that case it is also a bad example because LaVolpe had a bad relationship with them.

As is, I think saying no I didn't want to go there is sort of a easy cop out. We all know Chelsea is at a weird spot right now, but if they wanted him, they get him to go there, Marseille is a good team, but it is not Chelsea, and Onyewu is not a developing player, he is a player...

Anyways, i hope he does well... he just is not the best defender of Concacaf... :que:

By the way, are you willing to make a phin dollar bet on the upcoming game?

I'm down but I don't get how it works??? LoL I missed the 101 on Phin Dollars....please explain??? And Blanco and Bautista should've been at the WC. Bautista was on fire at the time...

Prime Time
01-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Haha! you are saying he's the best defender in the CONCACAF, and you don't give a damn prove, talk about soccer knowledge:rolleyes:

Okay. The way he shut down Koller (except for the early header), the way he shut down Gilardino and Italy's Tall FWs. He just had a very good World Cup and was a bright spot on the US team that didn't have very many. He owned Borgetti in that one Mexico game. Now look at all the interest he has drawn. He is our Rafa Marquez (profile wise...not playing wise...playing wise would be Pablo Mastroeni)

Section126
01-30-2007, 01:31 AM
Hey Prime Time...

What do you think of Bob Bradley?

I hope he isn't another plotter coward. Let's move some people forward for christs sake.

Prime Time
01-30-2007, 01:41 AM
Hey Prime Time...

What do you think of Bob Bradley?

I hope he isn't another plotter coward. Let's move some people forward for christs sake.

I root for him.

Don't fancy him.

I want someone else. ASAP. Hopefully before the Summer, as the Gold Cup and Confederations Cup are this Summer.

I just want someone else. Something different. Argentinian Pekerman? German Klinnsman? Someone else. Someone who has knowledge and experience. We tried the US Coach and saw what he could do (not saying we should go away from it...we should return and try it out every now and then), but I think it is time to change things up. Bring in someone else. Throw an offer out there that a High Profile Coach that he wouldn't be able to say no to.

Prime Time
01-30-2007, 01:49 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=405451&root=mls&cc=5901

Good read on how Europe Scouters are coming here more and more to get young players and how the youth of American Soccer are starting to choose Europe over MLS.

Mebeverine
01-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Prime Time...

Maybe you should stop believing every rumour you hear mate.

If Chelsea had actually approached every player we were linked with then they would scarcely find time to do anything else.

Also...

:lol:

Of course mate, some defender playing in Belgium is in a position to turn Chelsea down, because he believes a few garbage newspaper stories about Mourinho leaving. What a load of nonsense.

Don't you think it might have something to do with the fact Chelsea are signing Tal Ben-Haim (a far better player) in the summer and have Terry and Carvalho back fit now?

For my final point...this guy is better than Marquez? Good grief.

Prime Time
01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Prime Time...

Maybe you should stop believing every rumour you hear mate.

If Chelsea had actually approached every player we were linked with then they would scarcely find time to do anything else.

Also...

:lol:

Of course mate, some defender playing in Belgium is in a position to turn Chelsea down, because he believes a few garbage newspaper stories about Mourinho leaving. What a load of nonsense.

Don't you think it might have something to do with the fact Chelsea are signing Tal Ben-Haim (a far better player) in the summer and have Terry and Carvalho back fit now?

For my final point...this guy is better than Marquez? Good grief.

He will be very soon ;)

Prime Time
01-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Official! Onyewu to Newcastle.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=405653&cc=5901

TotoreMexico
01-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Okay. The way he shut down Koller (except for the early header), the way he shut down Gilardino and Italy's Tall FWs. He just had a very good World Cup and was a bright spot on the US team that didn't have very many. He owned Borgetti in that one Mexico game. Now look at all the interest he has drawn. He is our Rafa Marquez (profile wise...not playing wise...playing wise would be Pablo Mastroeni)

Again, one thing is drawning interest, and another different thing is actually signing with an important team. Lots of players drawn interest, that's quite common, until I see him sign with an impotant team I'll believe it...

Prime Time
01-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Again, one thing is drawning interest, and another different thing is actually signing with an important team. Lots of players drawn interest, that's quite common, until I see him sign with an impotant team I'll believe it...

Well he is on Newcastle now. That is a step in the right direction.

TotoreMexico
01-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Well he is on Newcastle now. That is a step in the right direction.

That is something, we'll see what happens...

Hopefully he will fail:tongue:

Prime Time
01-30-2007, 03:30 PM
That is something, we'll see what happens...

Hopefully he will fail:tongue:

He has an option of staying with the club after the season ends. If he performs really well for the rest of the season with Newcastle, I could see him being signed elsewhere in the Summer.

TotoreMexico
01-30-2007, 03:58 PM
He has an option of staying with the club after the season ends. If he performs really well for the rest of the season with Newcastle, I could see him being signed elsewhere in the Summer.

Is he gonna be a starter? because I don't really know who are Newcastle's defenders:o

Prime Time
01-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Is he gonna be a starter? because I don't really know who are Newcastle's defenders:o

:lol: Yes he will. Newcastle's Defense is very BAD at the moment. He will be a starter from day 1...so it appears.

Mebeverine
05-16-2007, 08:07 PM
BUMP

Onyewu released. He was rubbish.

TotoreMexico
05-16-2007, 08:20 PM
BUMP

Onyewu released. He was rubbish.

What!? The best defender in the CONCACAF was released? I can't believe it!:rolleyes2

Quelonio
05-17-2007, 01:25 AM
What!? The best defender in the CONCACAF was released? I can't believe it!:rolleyes2

:tongue: :tongue:

We really got to stop piling on primetime with this, in one day Onyewu is released and bradley is confirmed as the head coach of Team USA, terrible day for the poor guy.

Tone_E
05-17-2007, 01:48 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=405451&root=mls&cc=5901

Good read on how Europe Scouters are coming here more and more to get young players and how the youth of American Soccer are starting to choose Europe over MLS.

That is a big step. The problem is though, I've seen many young prospects from eastern Europe and of other countries with small national leagues being picked up by monster clubs, only to sit on the bench. They must pick their team wisely. Not all will go the the Milans, Reals, or Man Us of the soccer world, but it is still an issue. MLS has come a long way, mainly due to the American performance in '94, but soccer is one of the largest sports amoung American youth.

Hang in there, Americans are relentless, and will always strive to compete in soccer (sorry, but right now they cant), and eventually will as all the tools are in place.

TotoreMexico
05-18-2007, 02:41 PM

We really got to stop piling on primetime with this, in one day Onyewu is released and bradley is confirmed as the head coach of Team USA, terrible day for the poor guy.

Where's PrimeTime??:rolleyes2

TotoreMexico
05-18-2007, 03:03 PM
BTW Carlos Salcido(who's obviously better than Onyewu) won the Dutch league title with the PSV Eindhoven

finsmx
05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
BTW Carlos Salcido(who's obviously better than Onyewu) won the Dutch league title with the PSV Eindhoven

http://www.mediotiempo.com/images/galerias/767_1.jpg

I can't see Salcido in there, here's a better one

Back to Onyewu, I'm sure he can still crack the starting lineup with some team in the MLS :tongue:

AirMarino83
05-18-2007, 05:24 PM
im sorry, i have just viewed this thread recently... but you guys are mean. lol. thanks for the laugh though.

TotoreMexico
05-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Osorio and Pardo won the Bundesliga with the VfB Stuttgart

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=431651&cc=3888

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/05/3578122017141317238-1.jpg

TotoreMexico
05-19-2007, 07:51 PM
But that's nothing comparing to Onyewu's succes...:rolleyes:

Salcido > Onyewu

Osorio > Onyewu

Prime Time
05-21-2007, 12:46 AM

I haven't been on much lately.

Onyewu did get released. Another EPL team will probably give him a chance.

emeraldfin
05-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Lads I am a Newcastle supporter and I can honestly say that the "Gooch" is just not good enough for the Premiership. Why Chelsea were even looking at this chap is beyond me. Newcastle have one of the worst backlines in the Prem and the fact he only started a few games says everything really.

Plus the person who brought him to the club was sacked.

TotoreMexico
05-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Lads I am a Newcastle supporter and I can honestly say that the "Gooch" is just not good enough for the Premiership. Why Chelsea were even looking at this chap is beyond me. Newcastle have one of the worst backlines in the Prem and the fact he only started a few games says everything really.

Plus the person who brought him to the club was sacked.

Pfffft, nahhh he just "didn't fit the system":rolleyes2

Quelonio
05-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Pfffft, nahhh he just "didn't fit the system":rolleyes2

you are terrible, way to kick a man when he is down...

TotoreMexico
05-21-2007, 06:18 PM
you are terrible, way to kick a man when he is down...

:evilmod:

Prime Time
05-23-2007, 03:20 PM
He'll find another EPL team.

TotoreMexico
05-24-2007, 01:07 AM
He'll find another EPL team.

Nah, I think they're set at the waterboy position:chuckle:

Boomer
05-24-2007, 05:17 PM
I've not read all this thread, but can we clear somethings up.

First of all, Onyewu was linked with Chelsea for no other reason than he was free and available on loan. Roman Abramovich told Jose Mourinho that he couldn't buy another player in the January window, when Mourinho was desperate for a centre back. He tried in vain to land Jorge Andrade and Tel Ben Haim at Bolton to no avail. Onyewu was available on loan and so the link was made.

In the end, he went to Newcastle and struggled to the point where he was let go. My father in law sits in the Platinum Club at St James Park and says he was dire. And this coming from a player who played in the same side as Tutus Bramble.

He just isn't good enough.

TotoreMexico
05-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Onyewu to Chelsea? Nahhh

More like Salcido to Chelsea

http://www.oem.com.mx/esto/notas/n289713.htm

Chelsea is offering near $10,000,000 of dollars for the mexican defender, they own half of Salcido's rights but Salcido has 3 years left on his contract with the PSV

Prime Time
05-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Onyewu to Chelsea? Nahhh

More like Salcido to Chelsea

http://www.oem.com.mx/esto/notas/n289713.htm

Chelsea is offering near $10,000,000 of dollars for the mexican defender, they own half of Salcido's rights but Salcido has 3 years left on his contract with the PSV

10 Billion Dollars for a Mexican Defender??? :lol: Don't think so ;)

TotoreMexico
05-26-2007, 05:39 PM
10 Billion Dollars for a Mexican Defender??? :lol: Don't think so ;)

:tantrum:

10 Million!!

Prime Time
05-26-2007, 06:13 PM
:tantrum:

10 Million!!

:lol: Oopsie