PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen to tour with DLR but with Wolfie on bass?

Jaydog57
01-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Dude that's kinda scary. Nothing against Eddie's clan, but no way a 15 year old kid, who according to Eddie has been playing bass for about 6 months, can possibly play as well as the likes of Michael Anthony. I wonder if they'll just turn his bass way down.:rolleyes:

Link - http://www.vhnd.com/articles/070124-01.shtml

Bring Mikey back! It's the only way, guys...:confused:

Den54
01-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Dude that's kinda scary. Nothing against Eddie's clan, but no way a 15 year old kid, who according to Eddie has been playing bass for about 6 months, can possibly play as well as the likes of Michael Anthony. I wonder if they'll just turn his bass way down.:rolleyes:

Link - http://www.vhnd.com/articles/070124-01.shtml

Bring Mikey back! It's the only way, guys...:confused:

Wow! Really strange move of Eddie's part.
I don't think I could bring myself to pay that huge ticket price to see that.:confused:

Muck
01-27-2007, 09:46 AM
I heard about that a few months ago.

Eddie says his son is a natural. More gifted than he was at that age.

But I agree with Hagar in that article.

Metal Panda
01-27-2007, 11:07 AM
not like the bass ever did anything interesting in Van Halen tunes anyway.

Noodle Arm
01-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I see it absolutely as an inevitability," Roth told Billboard.com last May of a potential reunion with his ex-bandmates. "To me, it's not rocket surgery"

:lol: Welcome back Diamond Dave

Pagan
01-27-2007, 11:24 AM
You obviously don't listen to alot of bass playing then. Michael Anthony is an excellent bassist. Aside from the fact that ALL the harmonies that were sung on the classic VH songs were sung by Michael.

They're going to suck on this tour. It'll be like seeing your grandparents right before they die. I'd rather remember them the way they were when they opened for Sabbath in '78.

Den54
01-27-2007, 11:42 AM

Walk In The Park was pretty good.

DrAstroZoom
01-27-2007, 11:52 AM
You obviously don't listen to alot of bass playing then. Michael Anthony is an excellent bassist. Aside from the fact that ALL the harmonies that were sung on the classic VH songs were sung by Michael.

They're going to suck on this tour. It'll be like seeing your grandparents right before they die. I'd rather remember them the way they were when they opened for Sabbath in '78.

That's MY biggest complaint, right there.

DrAstroZoom
01-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Of course, the vocalist would say that. :D

Noodle Arm
01-27-2007, 11:58 AM

Agreed Pagan. My first real concert was a Van Halen show back in '91(I was 11). Granted, it was the Hagar era VH, but it was still a hell of a show. This sounds like a disaster.

unifiedtheory
01-27-2007, 12:52 PM
This does not sound good at all...

In other "reunion" news, The Police are getting back together for a tour. They are rehearsing in North Vancouver and have been spotted together at several Vancouver locations ovr the last couple of weeks.

Not everyones cup of tea I know but I like them, Stewart Colepand is so good.

Pagan
01-27-2007, 01:07 PM

In other "reunion" news, The Police are getting back together for a tour. They are rehearsing in North Vancouver and have been spotted together at several Vancouver locations ovr the last couple of weeks.

Wow, always dug them. Can't wait for this tour!

DrAstroZoom
01-27-2007, 01:37 PM
What I really wish (but what will never happen) is that The Police would record another album together.

Pagan
01-27-2007, 01:42 PM
What I really wish (but what will never happen) is that The Police would record another album together.
We can dream, can't we Doc?

NJFINSFAN1
01-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I heard an interview with Eddie, the only reason Anthony is not with the group is because he had just formed a new group with Sammy Hager and you can't be in two groups at once. But all 5 will be at the Rock Hall of fame.

Question is, who plays bass at that??????

Roman529
01-27-2007, 06:10 PM
I saw David Lee Roth a while back on CNN and he looks like Barry Manilow. :rolleyes: He sure got old.

Jaydog57
01-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Lol, yeah, he's aged quite a bit as Eddie has as well. 40 years of partying will do that to a person, but hey, he's not complaining, never has to work another day in his life!:lol: Dave looked weathered 10 years ago when he was supposed to hook up with VH then after the Mtv Music awards and he's a 'health nut', as far as I've read. 9th degree black belt in Kung fu, does triathlon's, etc. :confused:

Metal Panda
01-27-2007, 09:40 PM

I'm confused, but perhaps I don't see the correlation between someone's bass playing ability and whether the bass parts that were written in Van Halen's music were very interesting. If you can kindly point out where I said anything about Michael Anthony's ability as a bassist...

While there are obvious exceptions, often times they were just doubling rhythm parts.

Pagan
01-28-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm confused, but perhaps I don't see the correlation between someone's bass playing ability and whether the bass parts that were written in Van Halen's music were very interesting. If you can kindly point out where I said anything about Michael Anthony's ability as a bassist...

While there are obvious exceptions, often times they were just doubling rhythm parts.
And I'll stand by my assessment that you don't know much about bass playing. In the MAJORITY of Van Halen songs, Anthony isn't doubling the rhythm parts, but laying down a groove behind them. You don't have to play like Billy Sheehan to have interesting bass parts.

They way him and Alex Van Halen locked up in each song is interesting in it's own right. As for interesting in a "stand out" kind of way...take the Fair Warning album and listen to Michael's playing in Push Comes to Shove and Dirty Movies. His bass line also practically carries So This Is Love? on it's own.

Then again what do I know...I'm only a bassist. :wink:

d-day
01-28-2007, 12:50 AM

aside from every incredible vocal harmony you heard on any and every van halen album, michael anthony was a very interesting bass player - the guy wasn't playing 2 handed techniques like some of the i guess "more interesting" bass players, but this guy had to fill up a lot of space since there was only 1 guitarist in the band - eddie had the freedom to play the way he did because mike was able to provide an interesting enough bass line to not only fill up the space when eddie was soloing and doing his fretboard gymnastics, but also to keep the song interesting interesting in itself - posts like yours are why he's so underrated - it's was all there but some just can't see it

Jaydog57
01-28-2007, 04:12 PM
And I'll stand by my assessment that you don't know much about bass playing. In the MAJORITY of Van Halen songs, Anthony isn't doubling the rhythm parts, but laying down a groove behind them. You don't have to play like Billy Sheehan to have interesting bass parts.

They way him and Alex Van Halen locked up in each song is interesting in it's own right. As for interesting in a "stand out" kind of way...take the Fair Warning album and listen to Michael's playing in Push Comes to Shove and Dirty Movies. His bass line also practically carries So This Is Love? on it's own.

Just curious, you being a bassist, ever listen to the late Jaco Pastorius? He was amazing in my book. Besides Sheehan, any other great bassists you listen to? :cool:

Pagan
01-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Just curious, you being a bassist, ever listen to the late Jaco Pastorius? He was amazing in my book. Besides Sheehan, any other great bassists you listen to? :cool:
LOVE Jaco. His death was a tragedy, and one that could easily have been avoided. His personality was his undoing.

As for who I listen to...Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm, Steve Harris, Geezer Butler, John Patitucci, Geddy Lee, John Myung, Will Lee, Stanley Clarke and Rudy Sarzo are a few. :D

Metal Panda
01-28-2007, 05:57 PM

*sigh*

My point, if you wouldn't get so overemotional anytime somebody says something you mildly disagree with, is that Wolfgang may not be in as bad a position as people are saying, although the pressure of playing in front of so many people may be tough. I was mostly saying he wasn't going to have to play bass like Steve Digiorgio to play the Van Halen songs.

Metal Panda
01-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Sigh.

My point was not to bash Michael Anthony, I was mostly pointing out that while most of you were acting like Wolfgang Van Halen has no shot in hell of being able to play the songs competently, I was mentioning that isn't like most of the bass parts to Van Halen songs required finger acrobatics to play...

I'm not one of those naive twits who thinks anybody can play a bass (because that's simply not true)...just pointing out that Wolfgang might have a shot.

FYI--it does no service to a thread to point out you're a bass player. That'd be like me saying in a thread about 'best vocalists' "well, I'm a singer, so your opinion therefore means nothing".

I'm pretty worn on Van Halen anyway. Liked a little of both eras but wouldn't even hit my top ten of bands.

Pagan
01-28-2007, 06:31 PM
*sigh*

My point, if you wouldn't get so overemotional anytime somebody says something you mildly disagree with, is that Wolfgang may not be in as bad a position as people are saying, although the pressure of playing in front of so many people may be tough. I was mostly saying he wasn't going to have to play bass like Steve Digiorgio to play the Van Halen songs.

Bro, first off where did I get overemotional? If anything, you're the one who is. What, no one can disagree with you? You made I comment, I presented another side of it.

Wolfgang's been playing bass six months. Unless he's some sort of virtuoso, then no, he won't be competent enough.

No, you don't have to be Steve Digiorgio...but you can't be Nikki Sixx or Bobby Doll either.

FYI--it does no service to a thread to point out you're a bass player. That'd be like me saying in a thread about 'best vocalists' "well, I'm a singer, so your opinion therefore means nothing".

Bro you really need to grow some thicker skin. I never said your opinion doesn't count. And I didn't say I was a bassist to imply that. HOWEVER...since I have been playing live and recording for five more years than you've been alive, what I meant to say is that in that amount of time I've aquired...oh maybe an iota of knowledge about my instrument.

Wolfgang would probably do well in some cover bar band playing Van Halen songs. Unfortunately this is not the case. He'll be playing with the real thing in front of arena crowds...where every mistake is magnified.

I said it before and I'll say it again, your knowledge of the instrument that is the bass guitar isn't too deep, otherwise you'd know that Michael Anthony's bass lines required a little more than a 15 year old who's only been playing six months would be able to accomplish.

Noty belittling you, trying to educate. D-Day disagreed with you also, how come you're not lashing out a him?

Rocky Raccoon
01-28-2007, 06:34 PM

I love the Police. Hopefully they come over my way.

Jaydog57
01-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Sigh.

My point was not to bash Michael Anthony, I was mostly pointing out that while most of you were acting like Wolfgang Van Halen has no shot in hell of being able to play the songs competently, I was mentioning that isn't like most of the bass parts to Van Halen songs required finger acrobatics to play...

I'm not one of those naive twits who thinks anybody can play a bass (because that's simply not true)...just pointing out that Wolfgang might have a shot.

I'm pretty worn on Van Halen anyway. Liked a little of both eras but wouldn't even hit my top ten of bands. Hey man, not sure if you've just heard the stuff on the radio, but a lot of early Van Halen is great stuff. I remember a couple months back you posted your CD collection, you have some great bands in there, and I know for a fact that more than one of them considers Van Halen an influence. Give it a shot, :peace:

Metal Panda
01-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey man, not sure if you've just heard the stuff on the radio, but a lot of early Van Halen is great stuff. I remember a couple months back you posted your CD collection, you have some great bands in there, and I know for a fact that more than one of them considers Van Halen an influence. Give it a shot, :peace:

well for the record, I do own Van Halen I, IV, Diver Down, Balance, and the greatest hits album.

I like them, they're just not in my upper echelon...despite the fact that I love Eddie's playing.

Fin Fan in Cali
01-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Hopefully they figure something out for background vocals, because with out Michael on bass and back up vocals, they are going to be hurting. Did Michael and Van Halen go there seperate ways?

GoBills24
01-28-2007, 09:47 PM
LOVE Jaco. His death was a tragedy, and one that could easily have been avoided. His personality was his undoing.

As for who I listen to...Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm, Steve Harris, Geezer Butler, John Patitucci, Geddy Lee, John Myung, Will Lee, Stanley Clarke and Rudy Sarzo are a few. :D

No John Entwistle?

He was one of the great ones, IMO.

Rocky Raccoon
01-28-2007, 10:11 PM
No John Entwistle?

probably THE greatest one.

Pagan
01-28-2007, 10:36 PM
No John Entwistle?

Gods...how could I have forgotten the Ox???!

I met him when he was rehearsing for his last solo tour in the same studio I used to go to. His bass rig was bigger than my car. :lol:

Den54
02-02-2007, 03:39 PM
No love for Flea?:(

NJFINSFAN1
02-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Jack Bruce, Rodger Glover, Rodger Waters

I'll even throw in Adam Clayton of U2

NJFINSFAN1
02-02-2007, 03:47 PM
On a side not, Pagan, you ever listen to Hot Tuna???

Jorma Kaukanen is playing in Teaneck NJ next Thursday.

Pagan
02-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Damn...too bad it's on a weeknight....

Jaydog57
02-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Les Claypool does some pretty wild stuff with Primus. :cool:

NJFINSFAN1
02-02-2007, 04:33 PM

Yeah, that was my thought, but I may go.

NJFINSFAN1
02-03-2007, 06:54 PM

If you come down, let me know, I will show up!!

Pagan
02-04-2007, 09:25 AM
oh geez..

everyone quit complaining..

hey the VH boys want to rock...

Yea.. MA is not on bass... so big deal.

I think that is great that David Lee & Eddie have finally buried the hatchet.
If you believe that, PLEASE let me know what you're drinking...and if they sell it in six packs! :lol:

How many bands from the 70's 80's have gotten back together for $$$$ ?
How many of those bands contained the live energy that VH did? KISS, and pretty much no one else. Kansas can reunite and tour, because no one expects a spectacle when they see them like they do with VH.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
Yup, those are wonderful shots of DLR! He's going to be JUST like that on this tour! Not like he looks like THIS (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kX9qcggRo18) or anything.

:lol:

Pagan
02-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Oh and KISS looks so great :confused: Please.. Now I know why KISS wears make up.. to hide all there wrinkles :sidelol: :sidelol:

I mean take away the KISS make up, the fireworks, the fog smoke, the costumes, and what is left.. :confused:

Ace Frehley is NO Eddie Van Halen

As far as pure guitar talent, know one in KISS could hold a jock strap to EDDIE.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/6343/eddieqv7.png

Um...Stan? Can you please tell me where I said KISS were a better band than Van Halen, or where Ace is a better guitarist than Eddie? No one is saying anything about the musical abilities of the band, except for the fact that I saw DLR on his last solo tour, and the man - while never a great vocalist to begin with - just can't sing anymore.

It's beyond just that anyway. If I want to hear the great music I'll listen to the CDs. When you go to see a band you do just that...see them. And especially if you have memories of them absolutely tearing up a stage, you don't want to return and see three guys and a 15 year old who can't pull it off anymore. Did you see the Rolling Stones at last year's Super Bowl? It was SAD.

Van Halen was about more than just the music, and they'll be the first ones to tell you that. A VH concert was a party, plain and simple. They were the ringleaders, and you saw a show that few other bands could touch. Like DLR used to say, "A typical Tuesday night to Van Halen is New Year's Eve to anyone else." If they come out and it ends up being just like a "typical Tuesday night", it's going to tarnish the legacy of the band.

The only reason I mentioned KISS was to show that they the only band other than VH who's reunion would have to be as much of a spectacle as it was in the 70's. Please re-read what I say and comprehend it before going off on a rant that makes absolutely no sense following my comment. Knowuttimean? :wink:

And as for KISS looking bad and having to wear makeup, ever stop to think that the makeup is probably the only reason they CAN pull of the reunion and not look ridiculous?

Just for the record...here are photos of KISS and Van Halen, one from each band from 1978, and one from each band from 1996.

You tell me who stood up to the test of time better.

It's all academic anyway...DLR and Eddie will come to blows two weeks into the tour and it will be cancelled anyway. :lol:

NJFINSFAN1
02-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Um...Stan? Can you please tell me where I said KISS were a better band than Van Halen, or where Ace is a better guitarist than Eddie? No one is saying anything about the musical abilities of the band, except for the fact that I saw DLR on his last solo tour, and the man - while never a great vocalist to begin with - just can't sing anymore.

It's beyond just that anyway. If I want to hear the great music I'll listen to the CDs. When you go to see a band you do just that...see them. And especially if you have memories of them absolutely tearing up a stage, you don't want to return and see three guys and a 15 year old who can't pull it off anymore. Did you see the Rolling Stones at last year's Super Bowl? It was SAD.

Van Halen was about more than just the music, and they'll be the first ones to tell you that. A VH concert was a party, plain and simple. They were the ringleaders, and you saw a show that few other bands could touch. Like DLR used to say, "A typical Tuesday night to Van Halen is New Year's Eve to anyone else." If they come out and it ends up being just like a "typical Tuesday night", it's going to tarnish the legacy of the band.

The only reason I mentioned KISS was to show that they the only band other than VH who's reunion would have to be as much of a spectacle as it was in the 70's. Please re-read what I say and comprehend it before going off on a rant that makes absolutely no sense following my comment. Knowuttimean? :wink:

And as for KISS looking bad and having to wear makeup, ever stop to think that the makeup is probably the only reason they CAN pull of the reunion and not look ridiculous?

Just for the record...here are photos of KISS and Van Halen, one from each band from 1978, and one from each band from 1996.

You tell me who stood up to the test of time better.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/vanhalenthen.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/vanhalennow.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/kissthen.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/KISSNOW.jpg

It's all academic anyway...DLR and Eddie will come to blows two weeks into the tour and it will be cancelled anyway. :lol:

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxODEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwNjk2NzQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3

Riverside SQ in Hackensack Friday night!

Pagan
02-04-2007, 04:09 PM
actually I thought the Stones put on a decent show at last years super bowl :confused:
Watch the videos if you get the chance. Out of tune, missed notes...yikes.

Metal Panda
02-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Bro, first off where did I get overemotional? If anything, you're the one who is. What, no one can disagree with you? You made I comment, I presented another side of it.

Wolfgang's been playing bass six months. Unless he's some sort of virtuoso, then no, he won't be competent enough.

No, you don't have to be Steve Digiorgio...but you can't be Nikki Sixx or Bobby Doll either.

Bro you really need to grow some thicker skin. I never said your opinion doesn't count. And I didn't say I was a bassist to imply that. HOWEVER...since I have been playing live and recording for five more years than you've been alive, what I meant to say is that in that amount of time I've aquired...oh maybe an iota of knowledge about my instrument.

Wolfgang would probably do well in some cover bar band playing Van Halen songs. Unfortunately this is not the case. He'll be playing with the real thing in front of arena crowds...where every mistake is magnified.

I said it before and I'll say it again, your knowledge of the instrument that is the bass guitar isn't too deep, otherwise you'd know that Michael Anthony's bass lines required a little more than a 15 year old who's only been playing six months would be able to accomplish.

Noty belittling you, trying to educate. D-Day disagreed with you also, how come you're not lashing out a him?

I didn't even formerly study bass and I was able to play VH basslines. granted yes I had played guitar for 7 years but they're two different instruments and that was only after 3 years of playing.

Den54
02-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Watch the videos if you get the chance. Out of tune, missed notes...yikes.

I would still take them over 99% of the other crap they have at half time.

Metal Panda
02-04-2007, 04:52 PM
a lot of stuff that falls in the "classic rock" tag (whether it deserves it or not) rubs me the wrong way.

Note this is not due to me disliking "old" music...my collection spans centuries and I love King Crimson, Genesis, Gentle Giant, and a lot of the progressive rock from that era.

I've never liked the Rolling Stones however (Mick always annoyed me), although I do admit they have some good tunes.

I am privy to old Aerosmith (Rocks, Get Your Wings, Toys in the Attic) and some of the transitional (Night in the Ruts) and SOME of the newer (Permanent Vacation, Nine Lives, although it got annoying when Desmond Child had his hand in everything).

I LOVE Cheap Trick. I'm still pissed that I lost my copy of Heaven Tonight :(.

Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are classic.

Privy to thefirst Boston album although it hasn't sat well with me like it did when I first heard it.

I was into Kansas (the Point of Know Return album mostly)...

but the Stones...I just have never enjoyed.

d-day
02-04-2007, 05:06 PM
a lot of stuff that falls in the "classic rock" tag (whether it deserves it or not) rubs me the wrong way.

Note this is not due to me disliking "old" music...my collection spans centuries and I love King Crimson, Genesis, Gentle Giant, and a lot of the progressive rock from that era.

I've never liked the Rolling Stones however (Mick always annoyed me), although I do admit they have some good tunes.

I am privy to old Aerosmith (Rocks, Get Your Wings, Toys in the Attic) and some of the transitional (Night in the Ruts) and SOME of the newer (Permanent Vacation, Nine Lives, although it got annoying when Desmond Child had his hand in everything).

I LOVE Cheap Trick. I'm still pissed that I lost my copy of Heaven Tonight :(.

Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are classic.

Privy to thefirst Boston album although it hasn't sat well with me like it did when I first heard it.

I was into Kansas (the Point of Know Return album mostly)...

but the Stones...I just have never enjoyed.

night in the ruts is prolly my favorite lp from 70's hands down - their box set called pandoras box has a very rough demo of cheese cake which is bitchin' to say the least - joe perry put out 3 solo albums after he left smith which are all very, very good imo but another record they did that stands out, is the one w/ rick dufay and jimmy crespo - rock in a hard place is extremely underrated

i'm a huge cheap trick fan - these guys wrote harmonies and bridges in their music that were matched only by the beatles - heaven tonight is unreal - i'm always a sucker for "on the radio" - best harmonies ever

Pagan
02-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I didn't even formerly study bass and I was able to play VH basslines. granted yes I had played guitar for 7 years but they're two different instruments and that was only after 3 years of playing.
Just a question...what's the biggest crowd you ever played for?

And do you think you'd do okay after 6 months of playing bass playing in front of 17,000 people?

Just curious.

Also, pick up Cheap Trick's first self-titled album. Some amazing stuff on there.

Metal Panda
02-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Top of the World was mine from that album.

Metal Panda
02-04-2007, 05:16 PM

And do you think you'd do okay after 6 months of playing bass playing in front of 17,000 people?

Just curious.

Also, pick up Cheap Trick's first self-titled album. Some amazing stuff on there.

biggest crowd I ever PLAYED for was like 15. Biggest crowd I've ever performed in front of in any aspect, probably 200-300. I don't discount THAT point (I was just talking about being able to play the songs period.)

I don't have the s/t, although I do have In Color.

d-day
02-04-2007, 05:17 PM

Just curious.

especially mandocello - a perfect song if i ever heard one

d-day
02-04-2007, 05:19 PM
btw - i have a friend who heard some stuff with wolfie - the kid is supposed to be good - real good - so good that alex might have to pay a lil attention to him :wink:

Metal Panda
02-04-2007, 05:19 PM
One thing about the crowds though--I dunno that it'd be 16,000-17,000 on quite a few of the stops.

Certainly the big cities with legendary facilities will pack in record crowds, but Van Halen played at the HOUSE OF BLUES the last time they came to Central Florida. Yes...the House of Blues. Which has a capacity of 2100. And that was after releasing "3".

d-day
02-04-2007, 05:21 PM
btw - i think i'm the only guy i know who hates boston - they ruined rock like mtv ruined so many other bands - all watered down

d-day
02-04-2007, 05:23 PM
One thing about the crowds though--I dunno that it'd be 16,000-17,000 on quite a few of the stops.

Certainly the big cities with legendary facilities will pack in record crowds, but Van Halen played at the HOUSE OF BLUES the last time they came to Central Florida. Yes...the House of Blues. Which has a capacity of 2100. And that was after releasing "3".

i remember the lakeland civic center used to be the place to see shows - i saw diamond dave there solo w/ steve vai all those years back

Metal Panda
02-04-2007, 05:24 PM
btw - i think i'm the only guy i know who hates boston - they ruined rock like mtv ruined so many other bands - all watered down

Well, after their first album, they became excessively ballady.

And I never did get why Tom Scholz took 7 years to put out albums that were essentially verse chorus verse songs that sounded identical to the previous album.

d-day
02-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Well, after their first album, they became excessively ballady.

And I never did get why Tom Scholz took 7 years to put out albums that were essentially verse chorus verse songs that sounded identical to the previous album.

that and i hate his tone - it's so bleh - did you know he used to make a rockman that would allow you to cop his tone - they should have made something like that for a good guitar tone like brian mays

dQbell
02-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I played in front of over 3000 people and completely hacked a song. The whole thing was like a weird dream. One of the instrumentalists leaned over and asked me, "Are you nervous?' i said, "Yeah." He said, "ohh you'll get used to it."

The thing is, he sounded gay when he said that, so not only was I nervous, but I was weirded out. The whole thing was a mess.

Den54
02-04-2007, 05:37 PM
i remember the lakeland civic center used to be the place to see shows - i saw diamond dave there solo w/ steve vai all those years back

I was there. Cinderella opened for them.
Nov\86.

Also Billy Sheean played with Dave.
In a non Brokeback way.

d-day
02-04-2007, 05:39 PM
I was there. Cinderella opened for them.
Nov\86.

that was the one - what else you see there? i swear i saw the loudness, tnt and stryper show there - akira takasaki is so frikken good and ronnie le tekro did an incredible solo that night

Den54
02-04-2007, 05:42 PM
that was the one - what else you see there? i swear i saw the loudness, tnt and stryper show there - akira takasaki is so frikken good and ronnie le tekro did an incredible solo that night

Dude I saw so many concerts there, some are nothing more then a blur.

FogHat
BOC
Van Halen
Iron Maiden
Yangva Malsteen [yes I butchered his name]
Dio
ect ect ect.

d-day
02-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Dude I saw so many concerts there, some are nothing more then a blur.

FogHat
BOC
Van Halen
Iron Maiden
Yngwie Malmsteen
Dio
ect ect ect.

i caught the dio/rough cutt show there - saw it in tampa too - didn't go to see dio though - huge rough cutt fan - besides ever meet viv campbell? - that guy is the biggest dick

Den54
02-04-2007, 05:48 PM
i caught the dio/rough cutt show there - saw it in tampa too - didn't go to see dio though - huge rough cutt fan - besides ever meet viv campbell? - that guy is the biggest dick

I don't doubt Viv Campbell is a dick but I always loved his playing.

Pagan
02-04-2007, 11:34 PM
especially mandocello - a perfect song if i ever heard one
One of my favorites...along with Daddy Should Have Stayed in High School.

Pagan
02-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Here's the first offcial reunion photo.

A kid, a yuppie corporate executive, a serial killer and a homeless person. :shakeno:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/02/1352727213527274large-1.jpg

dQbell
02-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Here's the first offcial reunion photo.

A kid, a yuppie corporate executive, a serial killer and a homeless person. :shakeno:

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/2/7/2/7/13527272-13527274-large.jpg (http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/2/7/2/7/13527272-13527274-large.jpg)

You know Roth looks the best out of all of them. I know he's got the whole JCrew thing going, but he looks healthy.

I look forward to this, as long as they keep the drama out.