PDA

View Full Version : Laptop

sirvmac
01-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey guys, any of you know any good sites or places for deals on laptops? I want an aboce avergae one that cost about 700ish. I tried Dell and Compaq but too exepnsive. If anyone knows a good site or place, I would appreciate it if mentioned.

Roman529
01-27-2007, 05:38 PM
I bought a Dell Inspiron 1000 for about $550. I love Dell laptops....you should be able to find a pretty decent deal on one, especially when they close out certain models.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_1501?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Usually they only sell these to small businesses, but I just made a small business name and told them I ran a small internet business and they sold it to me at a cheap price. :tongue:

JSwerdy
01-27-2007, 05:48 PM
try a refurbished macbook, they are as good as new just cheaper

if you can bump your price range up 200 bucks you can get the lower end macbook. maybe even cheaper with the student discount. check em out, i promise youll end up loving the mac and hating windows

sirvmac
01-27-2007, 07:22 PM
I have nothing against Mac, just kinda hesitant to try new things, I wouldnt mind looking into the Mac tho, btw, roman, is it difficult to try and "create" a fake business? how do u keep them from finding out that u have no business?

Quelonio
01-27-2007, 07:24 PM
try a refurbished macbook, they are as good as new just cheaper

if you can bump your price range up 200 bucks you can get the lower end macbook. maybe even cheaper with the student discount. check em out, i promise youll end up loving the mac and hating windows

once you go mac you never go back

JSwerdy
01-27-2007, 07:37 PM
I have nothing against Mac, just kinda hesitant to try new things, I wouldnt mind looking into the Mac tho, btw, roman, is it difficult to try and "create" a fake business? how do u keep them from finding out that u have no business?

like quelonio said, once you go you never want to go back,

i just recently switched to my first mac (same reason as you, i knew windows and was hesitant to change) let me just say that now every time i use windows i just want to hit the machine. everything is just better on the mac and you get used to it. the interface is just so convenient, everything you want is there. go to one of the apple stores and play around (or if someone you know has a mac play around on it) you just get hooked on the system (plus once you customize it you become really used to all aspects of your setup that when you use windows you find yourself trying to do certain things-like expose- that dont exist on windows and i end up frustrated at how bad windows really is)

considering your budget a mac might not be the best option, but im telling you, just go play around with one, use the OS for a week, and you'll never want to use windows again

Roman529
01-27-2007, 07:43 PM

No, I just spoke to a customer service rep, told her my company was named Roman, Inc., and she sold it to me at the small business rate. When you call the toll-free number to order it they give you the option of talking to a rep for home use or business use. They never check it any further than that. I love Dell because you also have an option to reset your computer to the way it was when it came out of the box, in case you accidently delete some programs or have something crappy happen to your computer.

sirvmac
01-27-2007, 08:09 PM
like quelonio said, once you go you never want to go back,

i just recently switched to my first mac (same reason as you, i knew windows and was hesitant to change) let me just say that now every time i use windows i just want to hit the machine. everything is just better on the mac and you get used to it. the interface is just so convenient, everything you want is there. go to one of the apple stores and play around (or if someone you know has a mac play around on it) you just get hooked on the system (plus once you customize it you become really used to all aspects of your setup that when you use windows you find yourself trying to do certain things-like expose- that dont exist on windows and i end up frustrated at how bad windows really is)

considering your budget a mac might not be the best option, but im telling you, just go play around with one, use the OS for a week, and you'll never want to use windows again

isnt it hard to find MAC software though? If I wanted to buy a game, how hard would it be to find the Mac version of the game?

JSwerdy
01-27-2007, 08:10 PM
No, I just spoke to a customer service rep, told her my company was named Roman, Inc., and she sold it to me at the small business rate. When you call the toll-free number to order it they give you the option of talking to a rep for home use or business use. They never check it any further than that. I love Dell because you also have an option to reset your computer to the way it was when it came out of the box, in case you accidently delete some programs or have something crappy happen to your computer.

pretty much every computer comes with this option (a restore cd), if not you can easily create the disk yourself throught the control panel>add/remove programs>create restore/boot disk

the problem with windows is that you are supposed to reinstall everything every 6 months if you want it to keep running smoothly

JSwerdy
01-27-2007, 08:14 PM
isnt it hard to find MAC software though? If I wanted to buy a game, how hard would it be to find the Mac version of the game?

the bonus of the new macs is that they have intel chips. if a program exists in the windows world but not in the mac (and there are no equivolent programs for macs) you can actually install windows onto the mac (either through a separate bootable partition or in a virtual window on your desktop)

as for games/software there are a lot more freeware that are really good programs (apple gives out its source code to developers for free to help them write better programs) a lot of games how mac counterparts but if they dont you can always load windows (through a program called bootcamp, you can choose to boot the computer up in OSX or Windows) and play the game normally

if you are seriously interested in the mac check out the mac forums on the apple web site http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa the people there are really helpful and will answer any of your questions

JSwerdy
01-27-2007, 08:18 PM
plus the mac comes with an amazing photo, movie, music (playor, editor, creator) programs preinstalled. the compatability with periferals is insane (no need for drivers, just plug in a camera, printer, etc and it just works with all the software) the photo program in particular is really nice to use

im telling you, just go play around in an apple store (who doesnt like playing with gadgets) and let one of the techies there show you OSX and the neat little things it can do (front row, the cool little remote that magnetically sticks to the screen frame, expose, dashboard) its just a very neat cool OS and a lot more fun and hassle free than windows

Roman529
01-27-2007, 08:42 PM
pretty much every computer comes with this option (a restore cd), if not you can easily create the disk yourself throught the control panel>add/remove programs>create restore/boot disk

the problem with windows is that you are supposed to reinstall everything every 6 months if you want it to keep running smoothly

I'm just not a Mac fan....haven't really had too many good experiences with it, not as many games and software for Macs either, but I guess you stick with what you know best.

SKing29
01-28-2007, 12:35 AM
plus the mac comes with an amazing photo, movie, music (playor, editor, creator) programs preinstalled. the compatability with periferals is insane (no need for drivers, just plug in a camera, printer, etc and it just works with all the software) the photo program in particular is really nice to use

im telling you, just go play around in an apple store (who doesnt like playing with gadgets) and let one of the techies there show you OSX and the neat little things it can do (front row, the cool little remote that magnetically sticks to the screen frame, expose, dashboard) its just a very neat cool OS and a lot more fun and hassle free than windows

So how much is Jobs paying you for the promotions :D

JSwerdy
01-28-2007, 01:46 AM
So how much is Jobs paying you for the promotions :D

yea right, i guess im just a homer, but this was my first mac and it still feels like a new toy, just fun to use, as opposed to my gateway and dell desktops which are lucky that i dont hit them

spydertl79
01-28-2007, 12:58 PM
newegg.com

MelbournePhin
01-28-2007, 01:09 PM
i love my toshiba

sirvmac
01-28-2007, 03:45 PM
thanks for the replies guys, Im currently leaning towards an HP pavillion 6000dv series.

phinfanfrommd
01-28-2007, 05:28 PM
I bought a Dell Inspiron 1000 for about $550. I love Dell laptops....you should be able to find a pretty decent deal on one, especially when they close out certain models.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_1501?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Usually they only sell these to small businesses, but I just made a small business name and told them I ran a small internet business and they sold it to me at a cheap price. :tongue:

i agree, i got a sweet dell e1705 for only 1200, the lady i talked to was great

SKing29
01-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Personally, I like the Dell Inspiron 1505. It has won PC Magazine's budget laptop of the year three years running. Plus my mom got one with a 1GB of RAM, 120 GB hard drive (5400rpm), with a 1.73 GHz duo core processor all for about $830 and thats taxes and all. Thats a great deal for the common user, and if you did the business idea that a lot of people on here are talking about, then the deal could be even better. I have a Dell laptop, so does my mom and aunt and we all love them.

Vertical Limit
01-28-2007, 08:24 PM
http://tigerdirect.com

Bought my laptop in their warehouse and it's great. Got an HP.

Cool Calm Mike
01-29-2007, 12:50 AM
I have a Dell XPS, I love it.