PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Tampa Bay Devil Rays Thread

King Nate
01-27-2007, 11:24 PM
I couldn't wait any longer...:chuckle:

There are several things to look forward to this year.

- A healthy Rocco Baldelli coming in.
- Another year of experience under Scott Kazmir's belt.
- Newcomer Akinori Iwamura to our infield.
- Delmon Young getting actual playing time (so long as he stays out of trouble).
- Elijah Dukes getting actual playing time (so long as he stays out of trouble).

Anybody want to add anything else?

King Nate
01-27-2007, 11:40 PM
And yes, I did just realize I spelled official wrong.

GreenMonster
01-28-2007, 12:41 AM
You may move to 4th in the East this year..

King Nate
01-28-2007, 01:32 AM
You may move to 4th in the East this year..

:woot:

King Nate
01-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Where's the rest of the D-rays fans? Nappy? Kat? Where are you guys?

Nappy Roots
01-31-2007, 11:30 PM
im here. quite offseason lately. and pretty dumb if you ask me.

Rocco, Crawford, Delmon, Gomes, Dukes and possibly Norton? crowded OF much?

Upton, Zobrist, Norton, Wiggy, Cantu, Iwamura, and now brenden harris? whos going to play where? the only 2 solid defenders on there is Zobrist and Iwamura, so does Iwamura play 3rd or 2nd? and if he plays 2nd, what happens to Cantu, and if he plays 3rd, what happens to Upton? Wiggy will probably start at 1st, but that Leaves Norton, Cantu or Upton, Gomes, and Dukes fighting over the DH spot.

then after all that, we did nothing to solidify out bullpen. nothing. we let the royals sign david riske, speir signed with the angels to add to thier unbelievable bullpen...we just did nothing for the bullpen. basically we are hoping that Edwin Jackson can turn himself around, Juan Salas can do what he did in the minors, Overlla fixes himself, and McClung fixes himself. they really have nothing proven in the pen, and thats just stupid. if they switch JP Howell to the pen, i will be happy, but really, we better hope alot of people step up. or we're ****ed.

King Nate
01-31-2007, 11:54 PM
im here. quite offseason lately. and pretty dumb if you ask me.

Rocco, Crawford, Delmon, Gomes, Dukes and possibly Norton? crowded OF much?

Upton, Zobrist, Norton, Wiggy, Cantu, Iwamura, and now brenden harris? whos going to play where? the only 2 solid defenders on there is Zobrist and Iwamura, so does Iwamura play 3rd or 2nd? and if he plays 2nd, what happens to Cantu, and if he plays 3rd, what happens to Upton? Wiggy will probably start at 1st, but that Leaves Norton, Cantu or Upton, Gomes, and Dukes fighting over the DH spot.

then after all that, we did nothing to solidify out bullpen. nothing. we let the royals sign david riske, speir signed with the angels to add to thier unbelievable bullpen...we just did nothing for the bullpen. basically we are hoping that Edwin Jackson can turn himself around, Juan Salas can do what he did in the minors, Overlla fixes himself, and McClung fixes himself. they really have nothing proven in the pen, and thats just stupid. if they switch JP Howell to the pen, i will be happy, but really, we better hope alot of people step up. or we're ****ed.

Yeah I agree. When is the front office going to get it through their thick skulls that we need PITCHING. And lots of it.

King Nate
02-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Interesting article in the St. Pete Times the other day.

It basically says that the Rays aren't going to fix the bullpen with the remaining free agents. They're going to wait and see which of their young hitters won't fit anywhere and trade them for some pitchers but this won't come until March.

Spring Training starts Feb. 17th.

Fred McGriff joins Don Zimmer as an advisor to the Rays.

And on a lighter note, "Plans will be unveiled soon to significantly liven up the exterior of the Trop." I wonder what they are going to do...

RWhitney014
02-07-2007, 01:38 PM
They really need to trade some of the OF glut for pitching help. With Crawford, Baldelli, Young, Upton, Dukes, and Gomes out there, it makes no sense to have all of that and only one good pitcher. The Marlins would give them some help in return for Baldelli or Upton if their demands were normal, too. It's a farce that neither team can match up.

Nappy Roots
02-07-2007, 06:22 PM
They really need to trade some of the OF glut for pitching help. With Crawford, Baldelli, Young, Upton, Dukes, and Gomes out there, it makes no sense to have all of that and only one good pitcher. The Marlins would give them some help in return for Baldelli or Upton if their demands were normal, too. It's a farce that neither team can match up.

Upton is in our IF as of now...but i agree, the Marlins and Rays match up WAY to well with what the have and what the others need..but nothing. its disappointing.

RWhitney014
02-08-2007, 01:53 AM
And they're wasting their time until they realize he's never going to be an IF and they need to move him the OF. But even if he is an IF, then it's Wigginton, Cantu, Brignac, Longoria, Iwamura, Upton, Bankston, Zobrist, Guzman, and anyone else. That's way, way, way too many, especially for a team with no pitching.

King Nate
02-08-2007, 07:11 AM
And they're wasting their time until they realize he's never going to be an IF and they need to move him the OF. But even if he is an IF, then it's Wigginton, Cantu, Brignac, Longoria, Iwamura, Upton, Bankston, Zobrist, Guzman, and anyone else. That's way, way, way too many, especially for a team with no pitching.

:yes:

It's time to deal.

Rocky Raccoon
02-08-2007, 06:39 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/08/Rays/Rays_seem_ready_to_du.shtml

Tampa to drop Devil from name?

Nappy Roots
02-08-2007, 11:24 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/08/Rays/Rays_seem_ready_to_du.shtml

Tampa to drop Devil from name?

so stupid to me. but it was obvious it was going to happen. they already started the movement when they removed the devil from the jerseys and everything.

Nappy Roots
02-08-2007, 11:26 PM

waisting their time? hes 22....

im not saying i think hes going to be an IF, but he has WAAAAAAAAAAY to much potential at SS or 2B to just give up on him at 22. i think this will be his last year in the IF if he doesnt show big progress with his errors.

Sean
02-08-2007, 11:36 PM
i want crawford to go to the wite sox.... my team

EDIT: sox shoulda traded mcCarthy for crawford, woulda been the smart move

King Nate
02-10-2007, 10:44 PM
i want crawford to go to the wite sox.... my team

EDIT: sox shoulda traded mcCarthy for crawford, woulda been the smart move

:sidelol:

Definitely for you guys. Not so much for us though.

Nappy Roots
02-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Rays made their first trade of the offseason by picking up Jae Kuk Ryu a 23 year old Korean starting pitcher. he posted a 3.23 ERA in AAA for the cubs last year and was promoted to the big league club at the end of the year..

good pickup. cant get enough pitching prospects.

RWhitney014
02-14-2007, 02:38 AM
Rays made their first trade of the offseason by picking up Jae Kuk Ryu a 23 year old Korean starting pitcher. he posted a 3.23 ERA in AAA for the cubs last year and was promoted to the big league club at the end of the year..

good pickup. cant get enough pitching prospects.

Most famous for nailing a bird with a fastball while in A-ball. The bird was revered in the park, but Ryu took dead aim (pun intended) and poof. Good news is, the Orioles should be intimidated, and he's apparently got pinpoint control.

King Nate
02-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Most famous for nailing a bird with a fastball while in A-ball. The bird was revered in the park, but Ryu took dead aim (pun intended) and poof. Good news is, the Orioles should be intimidated, and he's apparently got pinpoint control.

RIP bird.

Welcome Ryu.

King Nate
02-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Steve Phillips is breaking down the D Rays right now on Cold Pizza.

Wow, he's not very smart. He pinpointed our problems as poor pitching depth, poor Tampa market, the Yankees, BoSox, and Blue Jays in our division, and the fact that we have the word "devil" in our name.

He did pitch an interesting scenario: Baldelli and Corcoran for Willis. What do you guys think?

He also thinks the team should move to San Antonio. :shakeno:

Ray Finkle
02-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Steve Phillips is breaking down the D Rays right now on Cold Pizza.

Wow, he's not very smart. He pinpointed our problems as poor pitching depth, poor Tampa market, the Yankees, BoSox, and Blue Jays in our division, and the fact that we have the word "devil" in our name.

He did pitch an interesting scenario: Baldelli and Corcoran for Willis. What do you guys think?

While I doubt that would be enough to land Willis, if it could the Rays should jump on that deal and lock up Willis long term. Baldelli is a nice player but the Rays have guys in the minors and on their roster now that can step up and fill in without missing too much of a beat. The Rays problem isn't so much their offense it's their pitching both starting and the pen. A rotation of Willis, Kazmir, Shields, Nierman could be very tough in a few years. But again I doubt Baldelli and Corcoran could land Willis alone.

MikeO
02-19-2007, 11:54 AM

As long as Steinbrenner is alive that team won't move out of Tampa. When he dies........then all bets are off

brandon1986
02-21-2007, 01:16 AM
the yanks are my team but i do like the d-rays i live in central florida and get all their games

the rays are getting their, i mean if they were in the NL west they would be contenders but in the east you need 90+ wins and the rays are not quite their

Nappy Roots
02-22-2007, 12:33 AM
While I doubt that would be enough to land Willis, if it could the Rays should jump on that deal and lock up Willis long term. Baldelli is a nice player but the Rays have guys in the minors and on their roster now that can step up and fill in without missing too much of a beat. The Rays problem isn't so much their offense it's their pitching both starting and the pen. A rotation of Willis, Kazmir, Shields, Nierman could be very tough in a few years. But again I doubt Baldelli and Corcoran could land Willis alone.

i agree. i love rocco. but i would trade him and another player for willis in a heart beat. but i agree, it would take more then that.

As long as Steinbrenner is alive that team won't move out of Tampa. When he dies........then all bets are off

well, that and the fact that we have a lease until like 2029 and the first year under new ownership our attendance rose a town. theres no way we move from tampa.

King Nate
03-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Just heard a commercial on the radio for Devil Ray's game in Orlando. :)

King Nate
04-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Game One is on right now.

Devil Rays at Yankees. Tied 3-3 in the fifth.

Let's go, Rays!!! :cheer2:

GreenMonster
04-02-2007, 02:53 PM
If Elijah Dukes can stay on the field he is gonna be a beast. He can hit with the very best.

Man the Rays are gonna be flying around the bases this year, they have a ton of speed in there lineup.

trate121hb
04-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Cmon Yanks...whats Going On Here!

King Nate
04-02-2007, 02:56 PM
If Elijah Dukes can stay on the field he is gonna be a beast. He can hit with the very best.

Man the Rays are gonna be flying around the bases this year, they have a ton of speed in there lineup.

I know, I just saw them score two runs just based off of their speed...and Matsui's bad fielding.

Kaz is looking good too. I just hope our pen doesn't cost us too many games this season.

King Nate
04-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Here comes the pen...

GreenMonster
04-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Here comes the pen...

Yup, I am sure we will see some more runs here soon. Wow just a bit inside there. :cooldude:

King Nate
04-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Rays lose to Yankees 5-9.

0-1. :(

Nappy Roots
04-05-2007, 09:09 PM
up 5-4 on a dukes rope for a HR in the 5th right now.

dude might be the goat!

Nappy Roots
04-06-2007, 09:47 PM
down by 2 in the 9th agaisnt BJ Ryan, Delmon young hit a 2 run HR to tie it! wooo!

2 on 2 out and BJ Upton is up!

Nappy Roots
04-06-2007, 09:49 PM
UPTON DELIVERS A INFIELD HIT TO WIN IT!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2-1 baby. look out for the baby rays, if our bullpen is even near decent, we are going to be dangerous!

King Nate
04-07-2007, 06:22 PM
That game was awesome!

First place in the AL East! :woot:

Nappy Roots
04-08-2007, 02:31 PM
8 Ks through 3 innings by Kaz right now.

King Nate
04-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm noticing a lot of trends here already. Our bats are keeping the game close until our pitching inevitable loses it for us.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-09-2007, 08:17 AM
yeah, same old story, over and over again...

King Nate
04-09-2007, 09:58 PM
2-2 against the Rangers in the 6th right now.

Nappy Roots
04-09-2007, 11:06 PM
jackson pitched well. camp is probably top 5 worse pitchers of all time though. my god our bullpen is horrible

King Nate
04-09-2007, 11:47 PM
jackson pitched well. camp is probably top 5 worse pitchers of all time though. my god our bullpen is horrible

Jackson did pitch well, especially after Maddon was worried about him. I agree about Camp too. He needs to go.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-10-2007, 08:40 AM
who in our bullpen is salvagable?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-12-2007, 10:41 PM
i think i'm going to throw up.

Nappy Roots
04-12-2007, 10:53 PM
i think i'm going to throw up.

i did with the cc play. unbelievable. im damn near in tears..that ****in hurts.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-13-2007, 08:39 AM
yeah i almost don't even mind the walk-off homer. never should've had that happen...

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-24-2007, 11:11 PM
well things are a bit better since then. :wink:

i'm almost bored of beating the yankees. i kinda expect it these days.

you know, all these talking heads talk about how great the yankees could be with consistent pitching, but what about the rays? we could be even better! pfft!

Nappy Roots
04-24-2007, 11:14 PM
well things are a bit better since then. :wink:

i'm almost bored of beating the yankees. i kinda expect it these days.

you know, all these talking heads talk about how great the yankees could be with consistent pitching, but what about the rays? we could be even better! pfft!

its amazing watching baseball tonight. theyve been talking about ARod none stop, which is cool cause hes been hitting HRs left and right, so its hard to stop. but even after he goes 0-2, they still engulfed his nuts into their mouths for 20 minutes after showing the highlights of the game. talking about breaking the single season reacord? are you ****ting me? its ****in april. :fire:

i say :fire:

but then really i say :D:D and :grouplaug at the yankees

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-25-2007, 12:16 AM
i hope they keep talking about him so there's not enough pressure on george to address the terrible pitching they have. worse than ours! :lol: