PDA

View Full Version : Teen sues over Broncos jersey 'humiliation'

KingCrowder
01-28-2007, 01:01 PM
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070118/NEWS02/701180398

BEAVER FALLS, Pa. - One year after Joshua Vannoy made headlines for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey to school and was humiliated by his teacher because of it, the student has filed a lawsuit alleging that his rights were violated by staff and administrators in Big Beaver Falls Area School District.

Rocky Raccoon
01-28-2007, 01:26 PM
I remember that story and what that teacher did to him was rediculous.

Jt0323
01-28-2007, 01:33 PM
yeah i remember that...i dont blame the kid

cnc66
01-28-2007, 01:38 PM
shoulda set the kid on fire for wearing a donko jersey

Dolphin1184
01-28-2007, 02:04 PM
I don't blame the kid. You don't go to school to get humiliated like that, you go to learn.

Colorado Dolfan
01-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Sorry, but this pisses me off...

His rights weren't violated at all, IMO. He chose to wear the jersey and he had to deal with the consequences. If I was to wear my Dolphins jersey into work when the 'Phins were playing the Donko's in the playoffs, I'd have to deal with the slings and arrows of all the rabid Bronc fans in the office...

Not to mention that the company I work for is a major sponsor of the Seahawks... I could just imagine what might happen if the 'Phins and Seahawks were in a Super Bowl together... :roll:

This kids parents simply saw a way to make a quick buck. They need to teach him a lesson about having a thicker skin.

IMO.

byroan
01-28-2007, 03:49 PM
His rights weren't violated at all, IMO. He chose to wear the jersey and he had to deal with the consequences.

There shouldn't be any consequences to wearing a jersey. Obviously there's going to be smack talk involved by both sides, but that wasn't the case here. This student had things thrown at him and had to take a test on the floor.

This kids parents simply saw a way to make a quick buck. They need to teach him a lesson about having a thicker skin.How should they do that? By having him practice sitting on the floor and start throwing things at him?

The teacher took this too far by doing more than just talking smack.

Colorado Dolfan
01-28-2007, 03:57 PM
:wink:
There shouldn't be any consequences to wearing a jersey. Obviously there's going to be smack talk involved by both sides, but that wasn't the case here. This student had things thrown at him and had to take a test on the floor.

How should they do that? By having him practice sitting on the floor and start throwing things at him?

The teacher took this too far by doing more than just talking smack.

He had paper thrown at him. Paper wadded into balls. It's not like the kid was stoned... :sidelol: Well, he may have been stoned, just not the way I'm thinking... :wink:

...and God forbid he had to sit on the floor. Just a horrible travesty. I sit on the floor occasionally and you know what? I have never been traumatized by it... I occasionally do some writing on the floor, as well, and I find it is a suitably level surface for writing on... :shakeno:

byroan
01-28-2007, 04:01 PM
:wink:

He had paper thrown at him. Paper wadded into balls. It's not like the kid was stoned... :sidelol: Well, he may have been stoned, just not the way I'm thinking... :wink:

...and God forbid he had to sit on the floor. Just a horrible travesty. I sit on the floor occasionally and you know what? I have never been traumatized by it... I occasionally do some writing on the floor, as well, and I find it is a suitably level surface for writing on... :shakeno:

Does it matter what was thrown at him? So because it might not hurt, it's ok?

You've sat on the floor with your own free will. You weren't forced to sit on a floor to take a test.

Colorado Dolfan
01-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Does it matter what was thrown at him? So because it might not hurt, it's ok?

You've sat on the floor with your own free will. You weren't forced to sit on a floor to take a test.

He wasn't forced either. He had a choice. He made the wrong one. If his parents had taught him that you don't take **** from anyone, he would have stood up and marched right down to the principal's office at that point.

The fact that he did nothing but whine about it after the fact about it proves to me that it wasn't that big of a deal. :boohoo:

He's going to deal with a whole lot worse than this in the "real" world. He needs to grow a set.

Edit: You want civil rights violations, Google Auschwitz, Dachau, or even slavery. This is just a kid who got his feelings hurt.

FLOUNDER
01-28-2007, 04:23 PM
The teacher who did all this should no be able to teach again. Who's to say that something like this wont happen again with him? its allready happened once

byroan
01-28-2007, 04:31 PM
He wasn't forced either. He had a choice. He made the wrong one. If his parents had taught him that you don't take **** from anyone, he would have stood up and marched right down to the principal's office at that point.

The fact that he did nothing but whine about it after the fact about it proves to me that it wasn't that big of a deal. :boohoo:

He's going to deal with a whole lot worse than this in the "real" world. He needs to grow a set.

Edit: You want civil rights violations, Google Auschwitz, Dachau, or even slavery. This is just a kid who got his feelings hurt.

He went to the principals office.

"What do you want me to do about it?"

No kid should have to deal with physical abuse no matter how serious it is.

Colorado Dolfan
01-28-2007, 04:49 PM
He went to the principals office. After the fact.

No kid should have to deal with physical abuse no matter how serious it is.

That word abuse gets thrown around way too much nowadays. Back in the day, we called it "dealing with adversity." :lol:

finswin56
01-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Sorry, but this pisses me off...

His rights weren't violated at all, IMO. He chose to wear the jersey and he had to deal with the consequences. If I was to wear my Dolphins jersey into work when the 'Phins were playing the Donko's in the playoffs, I'd have to deal with the slings and arrows of all the rabid Bronc fans in the office...

Not to mention that the company I work for is a major sponsor of the Seahawks... I could just imagine what might happen if the 'Phins and Seahawks were in a Super Bowl together... :roll:

This kids parents simply saw a way to make a quick buck. They need to teach him a lesson about having a thicker skin.

IMO.
Dude, I have no idea how you can try to justify this. Any parallel between his situation and your work situation is misses the mark by a mile.

This is a "high school" kid. This was done by a teacher, someone holding a significant position of authority over him. The last thing this boy should have to worry about is going to school and being publicly humiliated by his teacher. Especially given that he broke no rules of conduct in either his dress or action. This isn't even a case where someone can recall to "old school" days when kids were tougher and had to pay for their actions, blah, blah .... He didn't do anything wrong. This was simply a teacher abusing his position of authority for no good reason.

Phinz420
01-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Ummm, I guess you meant Human Rights violations with that remark?

What if he doesnt like red heads? Should he be allowed to force red heads to sit on the floor as well?

This teacher should lose his job.

Phinz420
01-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Personally, I would have just told the teacher to **** Off. But I guess that is why I wasnt liked by the staff at my middle and high schools. :D

Amars
01-28-2007, 05:07 PM
I dont think this deserve a lawsuit but more of a teacher suspension w/o pay or lose his job.

This is just wrong.

When Mr. Vannoy showed up for Mr. Kelly's honors class in ethnic relations that day to take his 11th-grade midterm exam, Mr. Kelly ordered Mr. Vannoy to squat on the floor and instructed other students to wad up notebook paper and "throw it at the stinking Denver fan."

He was forced to complete his midterm on the floor.

Colorado Dolfan
01-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Ummm, I guess you meant Human Rights violations with that remark?

What if he doesnt like red heads? Should he be allowed to force red heads to sit on the floor as well?

This teacher should lose his job.

All kinds of rights were violated in those areas, but, yes... :wink:

Colorado Dolfan
01-28-2007, 05:15 PM
I dont think this deserve a lawsuit but more of a teacher suspension w/o pay or lose his job.

This is just wrong.

I can agree with that. The teacher was definitely wrong, but the parents now see this as a "cash cow."

They'll blame whoever can get them the most money and that is why they are suing the whole district when it was this one teacher that did it. They should sue the teacher, but they're not gonna do that. He's a teacher, he doesn't have nearly enough money to cover the price of the kids "suffering."

ih8brady
01-28-2007, 05:23 PM
This teacher seems like an immature jerk. Hard to believe other adults find his behavior acceptable. :shakeno: